IGNORED

Outstanding performance

BS3_RED

Other than the mistake of returning the ball to the wrong side after she stopped play I thought she did very well. It was refreshing to see her book two Huddersfield players early in the match for cynical fouls. Many referees let players get away with it early on but then book players for identical fouls later in the game. And I thought it was a definite penalty as did thousands of others who instinctively shouted “HANDBALL!!!” when  Pring’s cross was blocked by the defenders arms.

As to Huddersfield complaining about the additional 10 minutes they only have themselves to blame. During the minimum five minutes added time there were two injuries and a substitution so credit to the referee for adding additional time and continuing into the eighth minute when the penalty was awarded. The extra two minutes only came about as a result of Huddersfield complaining and delaying the spot kick resulting in another two Huddersfield players being booked.

All in all one of the better refereeing performances I have seen at Ashton Gate.

Edited by Redland
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Redland said:

Other than the mistake of returning the ball to the wrong side after she stopped play I thought she did very well. It was refreshing to see her book two Huddersfield players early in the match for cynical fouls. Many referees let players get away with it early on but then book players for identical fouls later in the game. And I thought it was a definite penalty as did thousands of others who instinctively shouted “HANDBALL!!!” when  Pring’s cross was blocked by the defenders arms.

As to Huddersfield complaining about the additional 10 minutes they only have themselves to blame. During the minimum five minutes added time there were two injuries and a substitution so credit to the referee for adding additional time and continuing into the eighth minute when the penalty was awarded. The extra two minutes only came about as a result of Huddersfield complaining and delaying the spot kick resulting in another two Huddersfield players being booked.

All in all one of the better refereeing performances I have seen at Ashton Gate.

I forgot about that. Did she forget who had the ball at the time or didn't know the rules?

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I forgot about that. Did she forget who had the ball at the time or didn't know the rules?

She was looking at the Huddersfield player on the ground who was clutching his stomach and not who was in possession of the ball behind her, when she stopped play.

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Doesn’t make him right just because he’s a ex pro . Hes sliding in to block the cross it’s hit his arm from about 2 yards away. In situations like this you have to ask yourself if you’d be pissed off it’s that’s given against us , because I would 

If a defender makes the same move on the goal line and the ball hits their hand from 2 yards away, is it not a penalty then? 

She done ok. Thought she gave some very soft decisions, mainly in our favour. One in particular where Tanner had the ball nicked off him down in our own corner in the first half which she called a very generous foul on.

What I did find strange was the incident where she fell after colliding with Conway (I think), stayed down for a bit probably a little embarrassed and then got up. All that is well and good. But then James checked on her and out his arm around her, and having a laugh at what happened she put her arm around James waist. Is that acceptable on both parts because she is female? Wouldn’t have happened like that if it was a male ref surely?

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Doesn’t make him right just because he’s a ex pro . Hes sliding in to block the cross it’s hit his arm from about 2 yards away. In situations like this you have to ask yourself if you’d be pissed off it’s that’s given against us , because I would 

Totally agree in the sense I would too, and as a Huddersfield fan given league position and the timing of it, I would be fuming. It is ball to hand, and then it’s a debate about is the arm in an unnatural position, which is very marginal.

Having said all that, I would be also fuming at the current laws which seem a mess, are too harsh in my view, and come down to very fine line subjective interpretation. It’s a call that is most likely not overturned by VAR whatever way the ref calls it as a clear and obvious error. Unlucky to get given and equally unlucky if not given on us, as it seems a bit of a coin toss on these kind of ones at the moment.

29 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

She done ok. Thought she gave some very soft decisions, mainly in our favour. One in particular where Tanner had the ball nicked off him down in our own corner in the first half which she called a very generous foul on.

What I did find strange was the incident where she fell after colliding with Conway (I think), stayed down for a bit probably a little embarrassed and then got up. All that is well and good. But then James checked on her and out his arm around her, and having a laugh at what happened she put her arm around James waist. Is that acceptable on both parts because she is female? Wouldn’t have happened like that if it was a male ref surely?

Yes it would have. Stop looking for outrage.

• Like 1

I thought the ref was great.  Her body language exuded confidence, she was decisive and as other have said she got almost everything correct.   

Thought the aggression shown Huddersfield players in response to the penalty decision - particularly the blond lad - was out of order. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Why not?

Good interaction imo.