IGNORED

We shouldn’t sign Twine

GBF

Clearly there will be a “transfer fee” Burnley paid £4m for him, they aren’t giving him away.

I think he’s done ok but certainly wouldn’t pay anything like the amount that’s being quoted.

Let’s see how the summer unfolds, my guess is he’ll start next season as our player, time will tell.

• Like 1

Totally agree, don’t see what all the fuss is about. We don’t need a number 10 (what is this number 10 nonsense, call it a creative attacking midfielder, an 8 like KDB and Odegaard/Fernandez, they are not 10’s. We need a player to play at the top of a midfield three and then two pacy wide men with a powerful striker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Clearly there will be a “transfer fee” Burnley paid £4m for him, they aren’t giving him away.

I think he’s done ok but certainly wouldn’t pay anything like the amount that’s being quoted.

Let’s see how the summer unfolds, my guess is he’ll start next season as our player, time will tell.

As I said on another thread, it’d be madness if he was and would have serious vibes of Kasey Palmer. We’ve seen what he can do and he’s gone from peripheral in prior games to today being uninterested in putting any work in. 

Palmer was signed despite a poor loan spell at great expense because LJ overestimated both Kaseys importance and Lees own ability to get stuff out of him. If you’re charitable, it could be argued that he had the Afobe linkup in mind but that was more happy accident.

It seems to me (and I don’t think LM is LJ as some do), in this case for Lee read Liam and for Kasey read Scott

To reiterate the point, we’re looking at a player who had a fantastic season at a lower level 2 years ago and has not proven himself at this level, in addition to having two injury spells. We’ve seen him for us and not one person thinks he’s a must buy. Even at £2m, with the takeover of Burnley wages, it’s not a cheap deal and I’m not convinced he’s worth that.

Not a deal we should do and would smack of a vanity project based on the evidence to date.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Hmm...tricky one. He's not played well. You can tell he's trying to impress, but mostly things aren't coming off for him. 

I think the big question is, is what we've seen so far Twine at his best? I'm guessing we will sign him if we are confident that he just hasn't reached top gear yet. 

Manning should know what Twine is capable of.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As I said on another thread, it’d be madness if he was and would have serious vibes of Kasey Palmer. We’ve seen what he can do and he’s gone from peripheral in prior games to today being uninterested in putting any work in. 

Palmer was signed despite a poor loan spell at great expense because LJ overestimated both Kaseys importance and Lees own ability to get stuff out of him. If you’re charitable, it could be argued that he had the Afobe linkup in mind but that was more happy accident.

It seems to me (and I don’t think LM is LJ as some do), in this case for Lee read Liam and for Kasey read Scott

To reiterate the point, we’re looking at a player who had a fantastic season at a lower level 2 years ago and has not proven himself at this level, in addition to having two injury spells. We’ve seen him for us and not one person thinks he’s a must buy. Even at £2m, with the takeover of Burnley wages, it’s not a cheap deal and I’m not convinced he’s worth that.

Not a deal we should do and would smack of a vanity project based on the evidence to date.

Nothing like Kasey palmer to me.

We’ve been better with Twine than without.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Hmm...tricky one. He's not played well. You can tell he's trying to impress, but mostly things aren't coming off for him. 

I think the big question is, is what we've seen so far Twine at his best? I'm guessing we will sign him if we are confident that he just hasn't reached top gear yet. 

Manning should know what Twine is capable of.

Rider to your last sentence….at league one level

You have to remember that Hull were Ok with letting him go at this level, and that Burnley he wasn’t fantastic for. At this level, across three teams, he’s been nothing more than “OK”.

I’d absolutely trust Liams judgement in him at league one level. But if we take Mehmeti as a case in point, a player that Liam (correctly) thinks can do it at league one has been sketchy at best at the higher level.

It might be that how he’s played is just how good he is at this level. It happens.

• Like 3

The more I see the less convinced I am about Twine. Best performance was his first game against Watford when he scored. Since then it’s been diminishing returns and today he veered between anonymous in the first half to dreadful in the second. Are we more creative with him in the team? No. If anything in the same position, Mehmeti has looked better than him recently, which hardly suggests Twine is going to take us to the next level.

Against all that though, is a shared history with Manning, so the likelihood is that he will want to sign Twine permanently whatever anyone us might think.

• Like 1

Actually today, in a tight game you could see a value. He popped up many times in good positions, in between the lines. These fine margins could be the difference between winning and losing. This is what I think Manning sees. He's a very intelligent player always thinking on the front foot. Unfortunately for him I don't think he affects enough of what we need in a game. This is down to his slight physique & perceived lack of pace. So he's never going to out pace or out muscle a defender.

He is never worth £4M, I would say more like less than half of that.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The more I see the less convinced I am about Twine. Best performance was his first game against Watford when he scored. Since then it’s been diminishing returns and today he veered between anonymous in the first half to dreadful in the second. Are we more creative with him in the team? No. If anything in the same position, Mehmeti has looked better than him recently, which hardly suggests Twine is going to take us to the next level.

Against all that though, is a shared history with Manning, so the likelihood is that he will want to sign Twine permanently whatever anyone us might think.

It’s interesting you bring the Watford game up. What sticks out for me from that game was twofold - the dead ball entry being superb but the open play being shocking (it was about 50% pass completion). At the time I put it down to not being on the same wavelength as the team but he’s still not a massive creative force. And at this level, you can’t have a “special teams” player

34 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

I’m not even sure we’ve played him in his best position yet? Also since he’s returned our form has been better maybe a coincidence. 

As I’ve said a few times, correlation doesn’t equal causation. Leicester sticks out - we were better when Sykes came on for Twine and Sykes set the goal up.

And in respect of best position, I think Liam rejigged the side to deliver that. Remember he was wide left at Hull, and that Liam only likes one up top. I’m not sure him playing behind the striker isn’t his “best position” - which only adds to my doubts!

• Like 3

• Admin
2 hours ago, Nescot said:

Twine is worth every penny anything 4mil or under sign.

Based on what? 

He's been injured for the majority of his loan spell and has rarely had an impact during his minutes on the pitch 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Based on what? 

He's been injured for the majority of his loan spell and has rarely had an impact during his minutes on the pitch 

I figure his biggest impact is allowing knight to play in his best position, which makes us stronger in midfield. Injuries have done him in this loan spell, what i hoped was a key signing has fallen flat.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Complete agreement.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mason said:

We wont pay enough to sign Twine perm and if the last transfer window is anything to go by we will bring in a cheap striker from abroad we have never heard of and not play him/or he will be injured pre season.

All this while accepting any offer for any of our players, this will turn next season from mediocre to poor and desperate, most will still hang on to hope till xmas at least however.

Our owner will not make enough investment to push us on just the min to keep us ticking over.......so predictable.

Agreed, this is where my expectations are also. Burnley look likely to come down anyway so can’t see Twine going anywhere (bit like us really).

Edited by NewquayRed

Just another quick thing to add into the mix - the accepted wisdom appears to be that Burnley will want to retain him if they go down. I’d suggest that performance this season in particular would mean that isn’t a sure thing - if we’re doubting if he’s good enough for us as a middling table team, then he certainly won’t be good enough for a top six side.

I think likelihood is that he’s available come what may in the summer. And that makes it all the more important, from evidence to date, that we don’t jump into a deal.

• Like 1

With the season fizzling out as early as it did, it annoys me are even giving Twine game time. I know we would have paid a fee and wages but he has missed a majority of games since joining us anyway. Surely there is more value in giving our youngsters a glimpse of championship football at this stage? Minutes of football now could be vital to their development.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I haven’t seen enough of Twine to pass judgement as yet - he’s been out injured and played very few times - what is now 3 starts? ………….:dunno:

Six. Watford, Leicester, Plymouth, Sunderland, Blackburn, Huddersfield. I can understand getting it wrong by a game but being 100% out is a bit disturbing..!

And I know that we are undefeated in those six, so I’ll tap my “correlation doesn’t equal causation” sign again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nescot said:

Twine is worth every penny anything 4mil or under sign.

No.

Highlighted yesterday was the fact we have no real threat in behind - I.e. completely lack of pace. Even our options off the bench (Cornick, Mehmeti) fail to help in this regard.

Twine is no better than the latter on current showing, on double the wages, and four times the fee. First half, if he was Cornick and losing the ball that often, he'd be crucified on here.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just another quick thing to add into the mix - the accepted wisdom appears to be that Burnley will want to retain him if they go down. I’d suggest that performance this season in particular would mean that isn’t a sure thing - if we’re doubting if he’s good enough for us as a middling table team, then he certainly won’t be good enough for a top six side.

I think likelihood is that he’s available come what may in the summer. And that makes it all the more important, from evidence to date, that we don’t jump into a deal.

Agree.

Think the argument they’ll be looking to keep him appears to be based on the first half of the season at Hull where he did pretty well.

As an aside I don’t think Hull particularly wanted him to go in January but the injection of funds then that enabled them to sign Carvalho, Zaroury & Giles meant he wasn’t going to be a regular.

The reason I don’t get Kasey Palmer vibes if he signs is because basically as I expect our business to be on a small scale, a 10, a striker, a reserve keeper & then only further deals if the likes of Conway or Cornick move on.

This means he (or the 10 we sign if he doesn’t join) wouldn’t be in a Szmodics, Paterson log jam for a place, we’d be effectively betting the farm on them.

My view is if Manning wants him (my hunch is he does) we make an offer & if Burnley want anything like what’s been quoted, we move on & look elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

Think the argument they’ll be looking to keep him appears to be based on the first half of the season at Hull where he did pretty well.

As an aside I don’t think Hull particularly wanted him to go in January but the injection of funds then that enabled them to sign Carvalho, Zaroury & Giles meant he wasn’t going to be a regular.

The reason I don’t get Kasey Palmer vibes if he signs is because basically as I expect our business to be on a small scale, a 10, a striker, a reserve keeper & then only further deals if the likes of Conway or Cornick move on.

This means he (or the 10 we sign if he doesn’t join) wouldn’t be in a Szmodics, Paterson log jam for a place, we’d be effectively betting the farm on them.

My view is if Manning wants him (my hunch is he does) we make an offer & if Burnley want anything like what’s been quoted, we move on & look elsewhere.

Funny you should mention Paterson, because I would suggest that he’s a better player than Twine even now. Not that I would be looking to get him back either. The point being that there are better players with a greater Championship pedigree out there than Twine, who probably wouldn’t cost more in fees or wages. The advantage Twine has is that Manning clearly likes him and trusts him, evidenced by despite yesterday’s shocker, he wasn’t subbed off.

• Flames 1

Not sure what their finances are like , when they came down last time there were lost of rumours they were in trouble.  If they don't want him and need money to reinvest maybe they will drop the fee a little, in contract until 2026 so they have a little time to think . IMO the best deal would be a season loan , even then I would want them to pick up a % of his wage. 
The best thing he's done is allow Knight to drop into his best position , even that isn't every game.

I know he's had injury problems but when he came back into the team I was expecting a lot more than he's delivered. Unless he's available for under a million/loan I'd be looking elsewhere. Gardner-Hickman delivers a set piece ball just as good, so not sure his signing brings us anything 'extra'.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1