IGNORED

We shouldn’t sign Twine

GBF

1 hour ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I agree not for me not impressed with McCrorrie for what we paid i dont know what he offes not as good as Tanner at fullback and not quick enough to bomb down the wings .panic buy .

I think you’ll see a better player next season. Easy to underestimate what he’s been through.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I have and you are right not to be convinced...

Twine has hardly played - 6 games apparently. Some of those would have been away so those, like me who only watch City at AG these days have seen him around three times and with him not being fully match sharpe. Its way early to start drawing conclusions about what he offers.

Anyway I doubt that he’ll be at City next season.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

McCrorie was clearly not a panic buy, we scouted him for a good while, and his game is more a buccaneering RB, one to offer something different to Tanner.  He’s come back from a near-career threatening injury, and there are gonna be bumps in the road.  It’s not unusual for a player to come back in part way through a season and perform inconsistently like this.  As a bare minimum he needs preseason.

Not sure what his best position is Dave carrying a bit of beef to get down the flanks maybe stick him in midfield as were by far not big spenders i wouldave been looking elsewhere but we will see .

5 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Not sure what his best position is Dave carrying a bit of beef to get down the flanks maybe stick him in midfield as were by far not big spenders i wouldave been looking elsewhere but we will see .

Been poor in my view but respect he had a terrible injury early on and missed a huge chunk of season. I personally don’t want to go for players from the SPL moving forward. Always flatter to deceive at this level for us. Average league. 

• Like 1

I’m on the fence so comes down to price. 

He was a bit part player I think from Burnley’s promotion so relegation or not with them I think they’ll be open to a deal but it’s how much that £5m price drops.

LM will want to push for him and Kompany saw enough to buy him so there clearly a decent player there 

Albeit I’d rather have Benson from Burnley every day of the week!

On 14/04/2024 at 12:30, marcofisher said:

I expect Burnley to come down and probably look to get value from him on the pitch rather than sell him.

He doesn't look great in a City shirt - he's been underwhelming at best.

I imagine Burnley are well aware of his limitations, and will look to get value by duping a club into signing him at an inflated price.

We really need to up our recruitment game, as @Davefevs says, there will be better options available.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Twine has hardly played - 6 games apparently. Some of those would have been away so those, like me who only watch City at AG these days have seen him around three times and with him not being fully match sharpe. Its way early to start drawing conclusions about what he offers.

Anyway I doubt that he’ll be at City next season.

Way to early?

We only have a handful of games left and I can't see him suddenly improving that much in that time.

We only have what we see with our own eyes and IMHO.... it's a no from me.

So, with your backside fixed firmly on the fence.... which side would you jump? Keep or no?

If being honest and with bugger all to play for, I'd much prefer to see some academy prospects get some game time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Way to early?

We only have a handful of games left and I can't see him suddenly improving that much in that time.

We only have what we see with our own eyes and IMHO.... it's a no from me.

So, with your backside fixed firmly on the fence.... which side would you jump? Keep or no?

To fully evaluate what any player brings they need to have a run of at least 10 full games. After that we’d have an idea and able to form an assessment - Twine has been injured, hardly trained and therefore not fully match fit and played half a dozen games - in all of those he didn’t play the full game and yet you feel qualified to pass judgement on a player you’ve hardly seen………….:cool2:

Anyway it’s irrelevant. He won’t be at City next season.

• Hmmm 1

It's a tough one, you can see glimpses of his quality but i agree with the general consensus that he probably hasn't done enough to warrant the quoted £4 million plus im sure a fairly decent wage on top of that.

As others have said, we have been down this road before with players like Kasey Palmer, Kalas etc etc. Big transfer fee's and wages for players that just haven't produced for us. Twine could be different of course but it would be a big gamble based on what we have seen from him thus far. 

What i am intrigued to see this summer is what sort of budget Manning is going to have to play with. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a LJ style warchest given to Manning this summer in which case it wouldn't surprise me at all if we did sign Twine..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To fully evaluate what any player brings they need to have a run of at least 10 full games. After that we’d have an idea and able to form an assessment - Twine has been injured, hardly trained and therefore not fully match fit and played half a dozen games - in all of those he didn’t play the full game and yet you feel qualified to pass judgement on a player you’ve hardly seen………….:cool2:

Unbelievable! You point out all the reasons why we shouldn't buy him... and then criticise me for coming to my conclusion BASED on all your reasons stated!

I believe there must be better.

3 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Unbelievable! You point out all the reasons why we shouldn't buy him... and then criticise me for coming to my conclusion BASED on all your reasons stated!

I believe there must be better.

Not me Galley - i don’t feel qualified to say whether City should try to keep him or not for the reason I’ve already mentioned.

1 hour ago, Ashton Fete said:

I’m on the fence so comes down to price. 

He was a bit part player I think from Burnley’s promotion so relegation or not with them I think they’ll be open to a deal but it’s how much that £5m price drops.

LM will want to push for him and Kompany saw enough to buy him so there clearly a decent player there 

Albeit I’d rather have Benson from Burnley every day of the week!

If we could get him, and also Ryan Hedges from Blackburn, we’d be smoking next season.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

I’m pretty torn, on one hand he’s given us the balance we needed and allowed Knight to play in midfield which in the system we play in his best position, he has also showed signs of creativity and is clearly Manning’s man. 

But we’ve wasted money in the past, he’s been injured for most of his time here and he’s only been directly involved in one goal. So I can see both arguments here

We seem to be forgetting the Manning factor.

Our board are tied to him and need him to be a success, so will throw money at the problem to get him the people he wants. I fully expect to see Scott as a City player next year, for a big fee and big wages.

That’s what we do. Make stupid decisions based on the heart rather than the head. See David James, Lee Tomlin, Kasey Palmer…

• Like 1

I’m also guessing Twine is on very good wages at Burnley, and most likely earns a lot more than most of our own playing squad. 

I was of the understanding we were avoiding this route and looking to bring players in oh similar wages.

It’s a no from me. Twine has the feeling of another Palmer and Tomlin effect.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Few quick points:

- He has played the full game. For some reason, despite an insipid performance, he was left on for the full 100 minutes on  Saturday

- On a broader basis, although you have only seen him for 3 games, he has had 6 starts and 1 sub appearance. If you were scouting a player from another side to determine if you thought he was a worthwhile signing (and not just in a loan spell), that’s at or above the level you’d need to give an accurate gauge. And that normal scouting process doesn’t have the benefit of him being “in the building” and in your side to see how he fits in. The sample size in those cases can be markedly smaller.

You may not have seen enough to pass judgement, and that’s fair (and Tbf you frequently forget what’s happening as well ;) ), but in normal scouting and judgement metrics used to determine if it’s worth making a signing, then it’s been more than enough.

Medube however…

• Like 1

Whoever  we sign under Manning  will be a waste ,20 games in he will be gone & history. Zero confidence  in the bloke .Yep I know 5 unbeaten  but that don't fool me ,80% of his football  been garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, 95red said:

Whoever  we sign under Manning  will be a waste ,20 games in he will be gone & history. Zero confidence  in the bloke .Yep I know 5 unbeaten  but that don't fool me ,80% of his football  been garbage. 

Yeah but 20% of the time it works every time 😉

Seems to help have been better results when he’s been in the side, could just be coincidence. Normally a loan like this would impress, we’d spend loads and they’d flop, this is not quite the opposite but something that could happen if settled.

Price is high, but if a deal could be done like Tinnion suggested there was some sort of non contractual agreement (I know :laugh:) for a lower fee than quoted it’s deffo worth exploring as they won’t wanna keep an unhappy player, I wonder how many other championship teams would take him? For Hull when we played them his name on the team sheet just stood out & maybe he does that for us even if performance has been varied.

There is probably better value out there for sure like the chap at Huddersfield If they go down, but he’ll maybe do better once settled be that with us or elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Mccrorie stating himself he is a centre back is still the bit that makes me wonder what we have signed him to do. Round pegs in round holes etc…

Think you’ll find the his preferred position is RB..

• Like 1

There’s a quality player in there, difference compared to Palmer etc is that Twine is Mannings guy & will want to build the a team around that, not just him but he will be a building block towards that. 

Don’t be surprised about him being an undisclosed transfer & our 1st signing followed by endless speculation about the price.

Burnley won’t recoup all their cash but will monetise the asset enough as they come back down.

6 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

We seem to be forgetting the Manning factor.

Our board are tied to him and need him to be a success, so will throw money at the problem to get him the people he wants. I fully expect to see Scott as a City player next year, for a big fee and big wages.

That’s what we do. Make stupid decisions based on the heart rather than the head. See David James, Lee Tomlin, Kasey Palmer…

FWIW I think he will be target no1 for the no10 position.  If the club can do the deal they will.  He was no1 target in the winter window, before we pivoted to Azaz, before pivoting back.

Its not what I’d do, but that’s irrelevant….apart from debating on OTIB!

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

Seems to help have been better results when he’s been in the side, could just be coincidence. Normally a loan like this would impress, we’d spend loads and they’d flop, this is not quite the opposite but something that could happen if settled.

Price is high, but if a deal could be done like Tinnion suggested there was some sort of non contractual agreement (I know :laugh:) for a lower fee than quoted it’s deffo worth exploring as they won’t wanna keep an unhappy player, I wonder how many other championship teams would take him? For Hull when we played them his name on the team sheet just stood out & maybe he does that for us even if performance has been varied.

There is probably better value out there for sure like the chap at Huddersfield If they go down, but he’ll maybe do better once settled be that with us or elsewhere. 

I don’t recall Tinnion saying that?  I thought it was more a case of no agreement had been reached, but they would try again in the summer, which kinda informs my opinion in my reply above to D&M, that they will still target him.

I really haven’t seen anything from Twine that says it’s his inclusion in the team that has had any responsibility for the recent results.  Normally I’d be able to highlight areas where I thought his clever movement, or passing or whatever was contributory.  If anything I think his giving away of the ball has made it tougher for us!  He’s not even taking all the set-pieces?

But I guess he’s got 3 more games to show what he can do.