IGNORED

Wurzels at AG for Rotherham Game

exAtyeoMax

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I used to think the same, until I moved and worked abroad. 

It wasn't until I moved away, that I became more proud of my roots, heritage, traditions and nostalgia.

I missed them.

On moving back to blighty, it's kept with me. 

Drink up thy Zider will always resonate with me as our clubs ' unofficial' anthem.

Imo...it should be blasted it more and fans encouraged to sing it.

After all the likes of ' you'll never walk alone' and ' Delilah ' aren't modern by any standards. 60s. 

And yet those Clubs youngsters sing them with pride along with everyone else. 

We're a bit useless at tradition as a club imo. 

Chop and change our kit all the time, badge changes, no anthem, nothing is ' ours'. Even the Gas beat us on that front. 

Ask anyone in football where drink up is sang, and we will be top of the list. 

Let's own it more. 

I think the issue is, the fans sing the song too fast. Hence why it flatters out pretty quickly. The YNWA, Delilah’s etc are all belted out slowly and it comes across so much better.

Even the blue few belt that ‘song’ out at the right tempo.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think the issue is, the fans sing the song too fast. Hence why it flatters out pretty quickly. The YNWA, Delilah’s etc are all belted out slowly and it comes across so much better.

That'll be all the coke being consumed. Same goes with the National anthem at Internationals. Always sang way too fast. 

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Remember our attempt at the Viking clap thing when Magnússon was here?

Possibly the most embarrassing thing we've ever done. Supposed to be very very slow and loud, building up to a crescendo. In reality it  Sounded like the applause for a warm up act at Jesters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't get why the end of season lap of honour is even a thing. It's cringeworthy seeing it after a season of mid table obscurity.

Miah, as a Rovers fan I’d have thought you’d be revelling in a season of mid table obscurity…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

This may sound a little harsh but I think it’s time we left the Wurzels in the 70s. We need a new anthem, kids of today aren’t going to belt this music out.

I know I will be in the minority here.

That's like asking Liverpool to change they're anthem. Never going to happen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Wonder if Jon Lansdown or Steve will come on the pitch and give a speech. Used to be a regular thing with Steve. 
Jon can tell us all how proud he is of our top 6 squad. 

Gaven Marshall will be doing cartwheels due to our promotion, THIS SEASON.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Mis spelling

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

We need a new anthem, kids of today aren’t going to belt this music out.

I know I will be in the minority here.

You are actually wrong there. The Wurzels still continue to have a decent following amongst younger people, including students. 

I was at the gig they played after the Bears v Glos game last season and it was absolutely packed. 

Anyone that wants to get a decent position I'd advise leaving the game at least 5-10 mins early. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You are actually wrong there. The Wurzels still continue to have a decent following amongst younger people, including students. 

I was at the gig they played after the Bears v Glos game last season and it was absolutely packed. 

Anyone that wants to get a decent position I'd advise leaving the game at least 5-10 mins early. 

Thats The Dolman sorted. The south Stand will just go straight to The Wurzles gig!

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Barely anyone is ‘embarassed’ by the Wurzels. People cling to pillars of regional identity and they get passed on just as successfully through the generations today as they always have. A strong sense of regional identity continues to hold across the entire country from place to place and with devolution movements growing and being successfully implemented these regionalist sentiments are only getting stronger. It’s one of the things that makes England and the UK interesting. Our national identity may be a bit confused sometimes but from city to city, region to region we have such a stretch of cultures, dialect, even language. It’s a great positive way forward for pride of place in this country that most people can get behind. Which is also why the songs of the Wurzels, particularly those written by Adge Cutler, remain just as relevant as ever to folk of all ages in the West Country. He sang about life in rural Somerset, where a lot of City fans are from, and in many of those places the essence of life is much the same as it was when he sang about his experiences.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I used to think the same, until I moved and worked abroad. 

It wasn't until I moved away, that I became more proud of my roots, heritage, traditions and nostalgia.

I missed them.

On moving back to blighty, it's kept with me. 

Drink up thy Zider will always resonate with me as our clubs ' unofficial' anthem.

Imo...it should be blasted it more and fans encouraged to sing it.

After all the likes of ' you'll never walk alone' and ' Delilah ' aren't modern by any standards. 60s. 

And yet those Clubs youngsters sing them with pride along with everyone else. 

We're a bit useless at tradition as a club imo. 

Chop and change our kit all the time, badge changes, no anthem, nothing is ' ours'. Even the Gas beat us on that front. 

Ask anyone in football where drink up is sang, and we will be top of the list. 

Let's own it more. 

I’ve always thought we’re lucky to have a song like Drink up thy Zider associated with our club. It’s a proper anthem with a huge connection to OUR part of the World.

Not many other clubs have that…including the Gas. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Took an age for the players to come out for their end of season lap of honour, last season. Thousands gave up waiting and went home. Let's hope its all a bit quicker this season or there could be an embarrassingly low number staying for the Wurzels.

Surely would have been better pre match. Get everyone up for the game.

Much better pre match, don’t get the after match idea at all, lots of people have to get back for various commitments or travel arrangements.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’ve always thought we’re lucky to have a song like Drink up thy Zider associated with our club. It’s a proper anthem with a huge connection to OUR part of the World.

Was just going to say this. Drink Up is just so massively better and specific to us. Imagine singing a 1930s dirge about a cuckold about to kill himself. AND having borrowed it from another club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

Not that I originate from the west country but have lived here for over 50 years and quite like their stuff. Can't help but smile at their versions of Wonderwall and Ruby.

First saw them at Uni in Liverpool - they were on the same bill as The Who and a band called Brewers' Droop. Of course everybody had turned out for The Who, but I can still see Adge looking out at the audience and the audience looking back. Let's just say there was a culture gap. The evening was stolen by Brewers' Droop though who had a fairly decent lead guitarist - turned out it was some bloke called Mark Knopfler, who was absolutely f'ing awesome.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Barely anyone is ‘embarassed’ by the Wurzels. People cling to pillars of regional identity and they get passed on just as successfully through the generations today as they always have. A strong sense of regional identity continues to hold across the entire country from place to place and with devolution movements growing and being successfully implemented these regionalist sentiments are only getting stronger. It’s one of the things that makes England and the UK interesting. Our national identity may be a bit confused sometimes but from city to city, region to region we have such a stretch of cultures, dialect, even language. It’s a great positive way forward for pride of place in this country that most people can get behind. Which is also why the songs of the Wurzels, particularly those written by Adge Cutler, remain just as relevant as ever to folk of all ages in the West Country. He sang about life in rural Somerset, where a lot of City fans are from, and in many of those places the essence of life is much the same as it was when he sang about his experiences.

Wurzels died with Adge imo.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Absolutely spot on. Even when City are live on TV the commentators often remark about the ‘cider songs’ belting out around AG - nationally cider is associated with the West Country.

One of my other favourite Wurzels song is ‘where be the blackbird to?’ - I’d like to hear that over the tannoy more often at AG,

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't bother rushing, due to the lack of an end of season awards evening the club have so far not mentioned that after the game there will be all the awards that we've been voting on being presented 

Then the players will walk around the pitch, once everyone is outside The Wurzels will start in the fan village 

They won't be on stage for a long while 

Additionally I'm not sure if there's anything to see on stage, make sure you're near a bar / toilet