IGNORED

FA Cup: No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no - There's no replays!

Curr Avon

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tranmere mentioned the regulator so they must feel the regulator would intervene in something like this if it came up in some manner. 

Tranmere's statement mentioned the regulator, but it didn't invoke it as a solutuon to this particular issue of "fixing" the FA Cup Rules. Tranmere (which is essentially Mark and Nicola Palios) said "It [the decision to scrap replays and the way it was taken] is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth." Chester FC also mentioned the regulator saying "This [the decision to scrap replays and the way it was taken] demonstrates an alarming lack of respect for the wider game and its fans, and reinforces the urgent need for a strong Independent Football Regulator.".

It's important to note here that these statements use this incident to encourage the Regulator's existence, but they don't actually say that they think the regulator would fix this particular issue.

Whilst they may not be involved in the calander you'd expect them to be involved in changes to competitions surely? So if the prem wanted to change to a 10 team league they'd be involved in that? 

As it is currently drafted the Football Governance Bill does not purport to empower the regulator to directly alter, approve, or otherwise influence changes to a competition's rules.

However. A "specified competition organiser" such as the FA in the case of the FA Cup would need to consult the regulator before adding, removing, or varying a specified competition rule unless the variation is not material. There is also a particular clause that says that this covers rule's that are relevant to the regulator's functions - which include maintaining the financial sustainability of the pyramid, and the financial soundness of clubs. So there's no power for the regulator to actually dictate or stop the FA/PL from making changes, but it has to be told about them and the word "consult" implies that it's concerns would at least to be noted, and if ignored, then there would need to be a justification for that.

I think as well that the regulator would be able to make adjustments to the financial distribution agreement between the PL/EFL/FA/National League in order to compensate for any revenue lost through the lsoss of replays. That would be an indirect way of addressing the ripple effects of this decision. Although that power will require amendments to be made. to the current draft of the Bill.

I don't like how the Fa and the PL have done this. It smells rotten. Gives me very similar feelings to the SL. 

I agree with this. It stinks. I've written to our Club asking them to make a statement.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

So by your logic, teams in the championship draw Bournemouth or Luton at home but because they are PL they get home allocation? When most of the grounds in the champ are nearly all double capacity. 

In France if there is a two-division or more gap between the clubs the lower team is automatically at home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It depends a little on how that board of 8 approve decisions. If the chair has a casting vote then it's possible that all 4 EFL members voted no, but the decision was carried with the 4 PL members voting yes, and the Chair breaking the deadlock with his casting vote.

If that was the case though I'd have thought the EFL/Parry et al would have put out a statement noting their dissent. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It depends a little on how that board of 8 approve decisions. If the chair has a casting vote then it's possible that all 4 EFL members voted no, but the decision was carried with the 4 PL members voting yes, and the Chair breaking the deadlock with his casting vote.

If that was the case though I'd have thought the EFL/Parry et al would have put out a statement noting their dissent. 

Yes. But they could have been manipulated/bullied into being silent

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes. But they could have been manipulated/bullied into being silent

I think it's clear that at least some people at the EFL were aware of these changes, although perhaps not the full details of them, and had/have been promised that by allowing them they will get a better "New Deal".

This is a quote going round:

EFL chief executive Trevor Birch said: “Whilst the league had previously been involved in discussions over the future of the calendar, these were predicated on the agreement of a new financial deal with the Premier League for EFL clubs which has not progressed."

Now, call that manipulation if you like, I think it's possibly an example of naive negotiation on the EFLs part.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it's clear that at least some people at the EFL were aware of these changes, although perhaps not the full details of them, and had/have been promised that by allowing them they will get a better "New Deal".

This is a quote going round:

EFL chief executive Trevor Birch said: “Whilst the league had previously been involved in discussions over the future of the calendar, these were predicated on the agreement of a new financial deal with the Premier League for EFL clubs which has not progressed."

Now, call that manipulation if you like, I think it's possibly an example of naive negotiation on the EFLs part.

Yes, too subservient to the monied masters / frightened of the consequences of disagreeing.

• Like 1

Question now needs to be have those representatives from the EFL gone through with it because without consulting the rest of the EFL because they’re the representatives and thought only their voices mattered because of it

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Missing something this ^ ^ (although I love that they have got a comma in there), fer me .... how about:

"CREATED BY THE POOR, TRASHED BY THE FOOTBALL LADS BETWEEN ABOUT 1968 AND 1989, STOLEN/CLEANED UP/GENTRIFIED BY THE RICH" ?

Elitest ****

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Missing something this ^ ^ (although I love that they have got a comma in there), fer me .... how about:

"CREATED BY THE POOR, TRASHED BY THE FOOTBALL LADS BETWEEN ABOUT 1968 AND 1989, STOLEN/CLEANED UP/GENTRIFIED BY THE RICH" ?

Then destroyed by Murdoch / Media

They complain they play too many games, then they expand the Champions League.
It's not that they play too many games, they just feel they play against too many clubs they deem to be too good to share the same pitch as them and don't get enough revenue to play against the likes of Leyton Orient and Walsall. 

No fan has ruined this Sport, the elites have, Sky Sports have, the money has. 

I've said it on here a while ago, Football hasn't been the same for quite a few years now, there just isn't that excitement anymore. Kid's losing interest as they are too busy with Tiktok and short term entertainment. The players are no longer Professional Sportsmen/Athletes with personalities, they're robots who are media savvy, and coached without personality.

Whole Sport is going one way for me and I'm rapidly losing interest in the Sport. 

I very much enjoyed the Six Nations and the entertainment that bought along with it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Hmmm.  Need the EFL to make a statement now!

They don't get it do they? It's not about the money for us fans. 

I'll forever have the memory of going to the London stadium with 9k other City fans and us getting a draw. We then if course beat West Ham in the replay. 

Exeter fans will forever have the memory of getting a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford and it saving their club.

Some of the greatest fa cup shocks have happened in replays. 

I don't give a crap about if the likes of Man Utd want to play extra games against foreign clubs I've never heard of before. 

This is a watered down version of the SL. The big clubs don't want to play smaller English teams and instead want to play lucrative games against European teams. 

I don't care if they gave us all 5 million extra in 'compensation' it's irrelevant as we'd all be getting the extra money. 

I want the memories. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They don't get it do they? It's not about the money for us fans. 

I'll forever have the memory of going to the London stadium with 9k other City fans and us getting a draw. We then if course beat West Ham in the replay. 

Exeter fans will forever have the memory of getting a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford and it saving their club.

Some of the greatest fa cup shocks have happened in replays. 

I don't give a crap about if the likes of Man Utd want to play extra games against foreign clubs I've never heard of before. 

This is a watered down version of the SL. The big clubs don't want to play smaller English teams and instead want to play lucrative games against European teams. 

I don't care if they gave us all 5 million extra in 'compensation' it's irrelevant as we'd all be getting the extra money. 

I want the memories. 

Exactly!

People have become so blinded by cash that they think it's the motivator for everything! #capitalistrealism

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is there any comment from our club on this yet? 

No, and it looks like most Championship clubs are keeping their powder dry for now. I think Pompey are the highest ranked club to have put something out so far?

The EFL can't leave that FA statement unanswered and I expect the Championship are waiting to see what the EFL say next.

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No, and it looks like most Championship clubs are keeping their powder dry for now. I think Pompey are the highest ranked club to have put something out so far?

The EFL can't leave that FA statement unanswered and I expect the Championship are waiting to see what the EFL say next.

The Gas have made a statement. 

Perhaps the Championship clubs are discussing it privately before making a statement?