IGNORED

FA Cup: No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no - There's no replays!

Curr Avon

1 hour ago, TammyAB said:

Would Korey Smith have burst into the box in injury time against Man United if the League Cup had replays?

Or (talking of an actual FA Cup game) would Tins' goal against Liverpool have been immortalised?

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The Gas have made a statement. 

Did it involve tents and 10,000 locked out of replays?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is there any comment from our club on this yet? 

Nothing from us or any championship club officially as far as I'm aware. 

It makes it seem like championship teams don't want to upset the overlords....

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The Gas have made a statement. 

Oh thank god. It'll all be sorted out soon in that case! Close the thread. Gorringe and Al Qadi have it handled.

Joking aside, there's no doubt that within the EFL the Championship teams have the lion's share of the power. They also get the lion's share of the money that comes from the PL (including the precious parachute payments for those that make it up there). Also they're all hoping to be a Premier League team in the future, and generally don't want to turn up to their first meeting after promotion and be told they're not welcome because they shot their mouth off when in the EFL. Short-sighted, stupid, petty, yes all of those, but reality.

They are generally a lot less chippy than your average L2 team.

Edited by ExiledAjax

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Oh thank god. It'll all be sorted out soon in that case! Close the thread. Gorringe and Al Qadi have it handled.

Joking aside, there's no doubt that within the EFL the Championship teams have the lion's share of the power. They also get the lion's share of the money that comes from the PL (including the precious parachute payments for those that make it up there). Also they're all hoping to be a Premier League team in the future, and generally don't want to turn up to their first meeting after promotion and be told they're not welcome because they shot their mouth off when in the EFL. Short-sighted, stupid, petty, yes all of those, but reality.

Good grief! What a sad bunch of weak, wet blankets they are. There are other teams apart from the top 6 in the prem. No wonder football has gone to shite.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here we go!

Any statement that starts with the words "...wishes to clarify further..." is going to be a banger.

Copied out here for those who don't use Twitter (currently known as 'X').

"The EFL wishes to clarify further its position in respect of yesterday’s Premier League and Football Association bi-lateral announcement over the removal of FA Cup replays and the role of the League’s representatives on the Professional Game Board (PGB). 

The agreement which now sees the abolition of replays from the competition format was agreed solely between the Premier League and FA.  Ahead of the deal being announced there was no agreement with the EFL nor was there any formal consultation with EFL Clubs as members of the FA and participants in the competition.  

In September 2023, the EFL did initially discuss with Clubs potential changes to the FA Cup format but only as part of a wider and more fundamental change to financial distributions. As is now clear, there has been no movement in this area since September.

This latest agreement between the Premier League and the FA, in the absence of financial reform, is just a further example of how the EFL and its Clubs are being marginalised in favour of others further up the pyramid and that only serves to threaten the future of the English game.  

The EFL today calls on both the Premier League and the FA, as the Governing body, to re-evaluate their approach to their footballing partnership with the EFL and engage more collaboratively on issues directly affecting our Clubs.

A separate issue is the role of the EFL representatives on the Professional Game Board (PGB) in agreeing to the 2024/25 overall fixture calendar. PGB is there to make technical decisions across the game as opposed to key policy decisions such as competition changes or formats.

Any decisions taken on the calendar involving EFL representatives are in no way an endorsement of the joint deal agreed between the FA and Premier League that imposes changes to the FA Cup competition format in isolation.

As part of the discussions the EFL representatives did challenge the position and were told that Clubs would be comfortable with no replays. They were effectively advised that, as a result, of it being an FA competition, the fixture list needed to be agreed as presented. It is also important to note that this matter was not discussed by the FA Cup committee, a separate group that oversees the competition across the professional and national game."

Not the strongest statement perhaps, but they are trying to make it crystal clear that the actual decision is a PL/FA one, yes they may have been consulted widely, but they linked it to a "New Deal", which as they say hasn't even been on the table from the PL for months.

They had to address this PGB issue as well, this is a bit weak there imo, although that final paragraph opens us up for a couple more statements from the FA!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They don't get it do they? It's not about the money for us fans. 

I'll forever have the memory of going to the London stadium with 9k other City fans and us getting a draw. We then if course beat West Ham in the replay. 

Exeter fans will forever have the memory of getting a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford and it saving their club.

Some of the greatest fa cup shocks have happened in replays. 

I don't give a crap about if the likes of Man Utd want to play extra games against foreign clubs I've never heard of before. 

This is a watered down version of the SL. The big clubs don't want to play smaller English teams and instead want to play lucrative games against European teams. 

I don't care if they gave us all 5 million extra in 'compensation' it's irrelevant as we'd all be getting the extra money. 

I want the memories. 

Was just about to post pretty much exactly this.

The FA seem to think the answer to everything is do just bung a bit more cash down the pyramid to shut people up, and that will make everything ok. It won’t.

Sport isn’t about money, or at least it didn’t used to be. It’s about community, competition, magic and memories. It’s about joy. It’s about shocks and upsets and shared experiences. Not cash.

The way the modern world has gone is beyond depressing. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

Was just about to post pretty much exactly this.

The FA seem to think the answer to everything is do just bung a bit more cash down the pyramid to shut people up, and that will make everything ok. It won’t.

Sport isn’t about money, or at least it didn’t used to be. It’s about community, competition, magic and memories. It’s about joy. It’s about shocks and upsets and shared experiences. Not cash.

The way the modern world has gone is beyond depressing. 

or broadcast more matches. When will they get it into their thick skulls that fans actually want the chance to attend live games

• Like 1

This is an interesting interview, whatever you think of the bloke . 

Great question asked , there are 20 Prem clubs, and 792 Clubs enter the FA Cup is that fair. He is diplomatic by saying it's the FA's comp and their decision. 
A decision made by the FA with input by the Prem , was never going to take any other Clubs into account. Would be great if the EFL said bollox to the FA Cup we will open the League Cup to those Clubs who normally enter the FA Cup. Won't happen , but would be great to see some fight back.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Hope we release a statement, all championship clubs seem very quiet (which is disgusting as they are all chasing the prem money) 

Hope someone organises an efl boycott 

Given the clear strength of feeling I'll be disgusted if City don't condemn this move. Clubs are rightly pointing to their history and ours is no different with winning at Leeds in 1974 a great highlight. I'm not entirely surprised by the actions of thoughtless few as their downplaying of the cup in recent years is testament to their 'money is God' attitude. No thought whatsoever has been given to the damage that's being done to the reputation of English football among lovers of the beautiful game and the FA should hang their heads in shame and charge themselves with bringing the game into disrepute. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

This has all the makings of them doing a total 180 on it

Pressure is mounting. 

More and more clubs releasing statements condemning the decision. 

Needs championship teams to grow a backbone though. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Pressure is mounting. 

More and more clubs releasing statements condemning the decision. 

Needs championship teams to grow a backbone though. 

Plymouth have released one. Are they the first Championship side to do so?

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Plymouth have released one. Are they the first Championship side to do so?

I was wondering earlier, will any Championship sides make a statement . Would the perspective or ex Prem sides feel they have to tow the Party line ?
When you get down to it, it's the top sides that have been pushing for fewer domestic games , the ones that want more Euro involvement or lucrative tours . Dress it up how you want , they are all about the money and don't care about the vast majority of Clubs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

The source linked is the Norwich City pre match presser - I'm not sure David Wagner speaks for Jon Lansdown. I'm not even sure Jon Lansdown speaks for Jon Lansdown come to think of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Based on Norwich's press conference from yesterday? I don't buy it. If ever there was a time for "I don't believe it until I see it on the OS", it's now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Based on Norwich's press conference from yesterday? I don't buy it. If ever there was a time for "I don't believe it until I see it on the OS", it's now.

Watched the press conference and Wagner is in favour.

Essentially the person who made it has got confused - it should be Norwich in favour and not us. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

This has all the makings of them doing a total 180 on it

I'm not sure they can do that quickly and easily. This isn't like the Super League, which was an idea/proposal, this has been approved. Presumably board meetings have been held, and I assume some sort of contract ahs been signed by the PL and FA regarding the extra £33m of funding. Not impossible to unravel, but there won't be a clause in that contract (assuming there is one) that says "you can terminate this if it turns out that fans and League 2 clubs hate it". So it could see a U-turn but it's going to be more complicated than what we saw with the Super League.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Watched the press conference and Wagner is in favour.

Essentially the person who made it has got confused - it should be Norwich in favour and not us. 

Thanks for doing the work. I'd also argue that Wagner is not Norwich. Manager opinions should be treated with caution as they won't necessarily represent the views of their club's owners/board members. It's not the managers who attend EFL general meetings.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for doing the work. I'd also argue that Wagner is not Norwich. Manager opinions should be treated with caution as they won't necessarily represent the views of their club's owners/board members. It's not the managers who attend EFL general meetings.

Yeah - I thought that as well. For context, Wagner is asked his personal opinion and gives it. He certainly in no way implies he is speaking on behalf of the club and I'd agree that he isn't. 

• Thanks 1

Quite looking forward to the 3rd round draw.

Jules “Matt you’ll be drawing the home teams, Peter, you the away teams”

Matt Le Tissier “no6”

Jules “that’s Birmingham City, they’ve withdrawn, that’ll mean a bye for…”

Peter Shilton “no47”

Jules “that’s your old club Southampton, they missed out in the playoffs last season, but their manager insists they are a premier league team really, so they went with the PL decision”

Matt “no8”

Jules “that’s Bristol City, a home tie for the Robins, although they’ve not issued any comms so we’ve no idea if they’re in or out”

Peter “can you raise the bag a bit higher, I’m struggling to reach the ball”

Matt “memories of 86 Peter?”

Peter “no53”

Jules “that’s Wolves, Gary O’Neil possibly going back to his former club”

Matt “no1”

Jules “Arsenal”

Peter “no47”

Jules “Southampton…again?

Peter “oh shit I put that one back in the bag”

Jules “let’s cut to a break”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4