IGNORED

FA Cup: No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no - There's no replays!

Curr Avon

https://talksport.com/football/1833524/fa-cup-replays-scrapped-changes/?utm_source=onesignal&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=2024-04-18-Breaking-news-

FA Cup replays have been scrapped from the first-round proper as part of wholesale changes to the competition.

The current format, which has no replays from the fifth round onwards, has been extended throughout the ‘Competition Proper’ in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions.

The changes, which also include all rounds being played on weekends and a rescheduled final before the end of the Premier League season, will come into effect from next season and run for a minimum of six seasons.

The Premier League has also agreed to pay up to an additional £33million for grassroots football.

Chief executive of the FA, Mark Bullingham said: "The Emirates FA Cup is our biggest asset and generates over 60 per cent of our revenue to invest into the game, so it is critical to secure a strong format for the future.

"This new agreement between the FA and the Premier League strengthens the Emirates FA Cup and gives this very special tournament exclusive weekends in an increasingly busy calendar.

"The new schedule ensures the magic of the Cup is protected and enhanced, while working for the whole of the English game. The longer summer period also allows a much-needed player break before the start of the next season.

"We have also agreed new funding for the grassroots game, disability football and the women’s and girls’ game. All football begins at the grassroots, and this is recognised by the Premier League with very welcome additional financial support."

Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters, added: "The Premier League is proud of the investment it provides to all levels of the game and this new agreement with the FA will see us enhance our support into grassroots football. This will improve facilities for communities and lower league clubs across the country, through the Football Foundation and Premier League Stadium Fund.

"Throughout our discussions, both parties have been committed to enhancing the scheduling of the Emirates FA Cup, a hugely important domestic competition with a storied history.

• Sad 3

Top teams play to many games 

How about getting rid of the champions league and put it back to the European Cup Champions only Straight ko That would save the big club a minimum of 6 games a season 

Oh wait  it's the small games they play to many of  Happy to play likes of Madrid Barca all day every day 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

All because the bigger clubs wanted less fixtures, voted for more European games, so the smaller teams miss out on extra income and the bigger clubs make more.

Or banning them from flying halfway round the world to play friendlies 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

All because the bigger clubs wanted less fixtures, voted for more European games, so the smaller teams miss out on extra income and the bigger clubs make more.

That is why I don’t understand why it’s all replays ?

Non teams relay on Round 1 and 2 ones .

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've got mixed views on this.

On the one hand, I suspect most managers - including in the Championship, League One and League Two - regard replays as a bit of a pain in the arse and there are probably a lot of fans who'd appreciate getting a result on the day.

On the other hand, replays are a fantastic income generator for small clubs and there's a certain magic in smaller teams forcing major sides to a draw and an extra game - even if they ultimately lose in the replay. I feel like the main result of this will be more bigger clubs going through to the later stages and less opportunities for smaller clubs to get a money-spinning second fixture. 

Agree about the comment it will cost clubs the ‘money spinner’ replay. Not so sure it will lead to more bigger teams going through. It’s not uncommon for smaller clubs to get a replay they lose. If instead of that it’s a more evenly balanced penalty shoot out I would expect more bigger teams to go out. Need to hold them once, not twice?

• Like 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Interesting, but how many top clubs consistently progress to the later rounds?

Also many top clubs, especially Man City they play full strength sides all the way through so they are clearly not worried

What it does take away is the potential money maker from an additional game, but personally I like the idea of playing to a result on the day

It also means no stupid midweek trips

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

On the flip side it can be quite a revenue earner for some of the smaller clubs.

Agree, but ultimately how often does a smaller club get a replay with a big club?

The fact that it's announced in conjunction with a £33m contract between the FA and the PL tells you exactly which clubs have asked for the changes.

PL clubs don't want fewer fixtures. They want fewer non-profitable, unwatched fixtures. 

Scrapping replays delivers greater certainty over the winter fixture list, and should allow a little expansion of say the UEFA conference league or some other manner of helping a couple more PL clubs squeeze into Europe.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Total bullshit. 

We'd have not had that fantastic night at Ashton Gate against West Ham without replays. That memory would not now exist. 

It would have been a oretty lucrative night for us too. 

This is a horrendous decision. 

Might have beaten them on pens at their place. Even more magical for the 7000 or so away fans.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

On the flip side it can be quite a revenue earner for some of the smaller clubs.

I’m sure that was taken in consideration when the ‘no replays’ was decided. Ultimately it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ dilemma.

Bigger clubs definitely don’t want replays with the PL and European matches plus the League and FA cup fixtures. Manning already whinges about the relentless Championship schedule and I’m sure he’ll be delighted to not having to squeeze another game.

However the chance of a lower league club drawing PL club at home remains the same but no big pay should the match be a draw.

Just now, Robbored said:

I’m sure that was taken in consideration when the ‘no replays’ was decided. Ultimately it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ dilemma.

I'm 99.99% sure it wasn't considered at all.

If PL clubs are truly concerned about fixture congestion then they could have said something against the Champions League going from 6 group games to 8.

But no. Obviously they'd like to trade a nasty FA Cup replay against a side like Port Vale for a nice little earner in UEFA competition.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm 99.99% sure it wasn't considered at all.

If PL clubs are truly concerned about fixture congestion then they could have said something against the Champions League going from 6 group games to 8.

But no. Obviously they'd like to trade a nasty FA Cup replay against a side like Port Vale for a nice little earner in UEFA competition.

If you want to be cynical - try this. To ease the financial plight of many lower league clubs the draw ‘randomly’  selects the PL clubs home to a lower league club………..:cool2: 

Edited by Robbored

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting, but how many top clubs consistently progress to the later rounds?

Also many top clubs, especially Man City they play full strength sides all the way through so they are clearly not worried

What it does take away is the potential money maker from an additional game, but personally I like the idea of playing to a result on the day

It also means no stupid midweek trips

Agree, but ultimately how often does a smaller club get a replay with a big club?

Quite a few big clubs progress to the later rounds in last 15 years 

Man Utd 6 times

Man City 8 times

Chelsea  9 times

Liverpool 2 times

Arsenal 4 times

i make that 29 out of 80 which is 36.25% of all semi finalists in last 15 years,

Also take into account times they meet before the semi final stage as it’s an open draw ( this years QF Man Utd v Liverpool , 3rd round Arsenal v Liverpool). 

Just using the 5 above as examples depends who you class as big.

Just makes it easier for these clubs to play stronger teams and chance of youngsters in weakened teams could well be less.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Markthehorn said:

Strange to scrap Round one and two replays when the PL clubs don’t enter those rounds .

The competition has to have the same regulations in every round. It wouldn’t be acceptable to introduce ‘no replays’ in round 3 when the big boys join in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1