IGNORED

FA Cup: No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no - There's no replays!

Curr Avon

8 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

The EFL regulations requires clubs to participate:

"Further, for the avoidance of doubt, every Club, by becoming and remaining a member of The League, agrees to compete in the League Competition, the EFL Cup, The Football Association Challenge Cup and all other competitions conducted or controlled by The League and in which it is eligible to compete."

The Premier League rules also requires clubs to participate:

"Each Club shall enter the F.A. Cup."

Thanks for that. I suppose the EFL clubs could vote to amend their regulations, but I guess they have a participation contract in place with the FA if it is a mandatory requirement for member clubs.

Makes the FA actions worse than I thought.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Thanks for that. I suppose the EFL clubs could vote to amend their regulations, but I guess they have a participation contract in place with the FA if it is a mandatory requirement for member clubs.

Makes the FA actions worse than I thought.

Yep, I'd imagine the rules are just laying out the agreements that underpin the league pyramid but I'm not aware of anything like that being in the public domain. 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

While I get that it's a bust schedule , all this is doing is making space for a few top teams to make space for European games. Small Clubs have made Club saving Cup runs for years. Those replays , with TV , extra revenue advertising and profile raising games have been vitally important for decades . 
The worst thing is they are saying it is done to benefit the smaller Clubs , bullshit , they didn't even consult the "smaller" Clubs.

Let's not forget here

- The Premier League has less teams and therefore plays less league games than each division of the EFL

- They are now sacking off their winter break to have an extended summer break which no doubt means more foreign cups/tournaments in pre season

- Some teams are straight off at the end of the season for money spinning friendlies abroad. I read today that Spurs and Newcastle play each other in Australia 3 days after the season ends

This is all about the money and power of the PL. I really wish there was some collective action that could be taken to make them realise how important the pyramid is. Refuse to take all loans from PL clubs, let them develop their own youngsters. Stick a 10m tax on every transfer to a PL team. 

And I absolutely think a boycott is in order from the EFL clubs. They can say it's in the rules that teams participate but what are they going to do if everyone does it?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Might have beaten them on pens at their place. Even more magical for the 7000 or so away fans.

Agree - and 9k in fact. I’m not too bothered about the end of replays - not convinced that our two replays this season were good for us given the size of our squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, eardun said:

Agree - and 9k in fact. I’m not too bothered about the end of replays - not convinced that our two replays this season were good for us given the size of our squad.

That's the kind of thinking that gets you a job at the big 6! Go for it!

Its not about us it's about all the clubs further down the pyramid whose entire seasons can get changed by a cup run. Though I'm sure SL was very happy with 2 sold out home games this year. And some of our best FA cup results have come in replays. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Let's not forget here

- The Premier League has less teams and therefore plays less league games than each division of the EFL

- They are now sacking off their winter break to have an extended summer break which no doubt means more foreign cups/tournaments in pre season

- Some teams are straight off at the end of the season for money spinning friendlies abroad. I read today that Spurs and Newcastle play each other in Australia 3 days after the season ends

This is all about the money and power of the PL. I really wish there was some collective action that could be taken to make them realise how important the pyramid is. Refuse to take all loans from PL clubs, let them develop their own youngsters. Stick a 10m tax on every transfer to a PL team. 

And I absolutely think a boycott is in order from the EFL clubs. They can say it's in the rules that teams participate but what are they going to do if everyone does it?

They can't say that. 

Man Utd withdrawing that one year set a precedent. 

26 minutes ago, eardun said:

The bigger issue has to be the way the decision has come about. 

This has serious ramifications imo if allowed. 

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Thinking in hindsight it but might have been better to just let the buggers go to the super league and have been done with it.

No.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

100% agree. Let them all **** off and allow British football to return to sustainable reality. You've got my vote.

Sorry, my opinion is that this is the easy way out, and is a replication of the attitude of the Football League in the early 90s. 

Don't let them go. They're part of the pyramid, part of the ecosystem, and they are part of the UK's football heritage whether they like it or not. Even if they did "**** off" the big PL teams would still take our youth players, still force loanees on us, and they'd still dictate the schedule with their mates at Sky. The only difference is they'd be outside of even the slightest bit of control in their own shitty gold European pond.

They made this bed that clubs like ours are lying in and they can ******* well lie in it with us.

Edited by ExiledAjax

I'm absolutely raging at this.

My first city game was an FA Cup replay with my now wife and I played in an FA Cup qualifier in 2004. 

This competition is special and deserves protection. I hope City come out and condem this decision that has been made without their consultation. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Good, replays are outdated.

Even though I enjoyed going to Aldershot for a 2nd round 3rd replay etc etc all those years ago, prefer the drama of the one game.

Personally I would scrap the League Cup too to give the FA Cup more prestige ...

Edited by xerox6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

That's the kind of thinking that gets you a job at the big 6! Go for it!

Its not about us it's about all the clubs further down the pyramid whose entire seasons can get changed by a cup run. Though I'm sure SL was very happy with 2 sold out home games this year. And some of our best FA cup results have come in replays. 

The stitch up by the Fa in 1992 ,that resulted in the formation of the premier league, meant that the rest of the pyramid no longer mattered to them. Since then the premier league tail has been wagging the football pyramid dog - as evidenced by this latest decision.

Until recently the premier league had money to spare, as long as as little of it as possible trickled down the pyramid, and for them the FA Cup was an unwelcome distraction from the more important business of premier league success/survival and ever expanding European competitions.

Having seen some of the eye watering losses more and more premier league clubs are posting, the irony now is that some of them might need lucrative cup runs ( including replays) to bring in additional revenue to help balance the books!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

An interesting angle to it. The regulator won't have any direct influence on the calendar or on the rules of any competition, but I guess if the PL were going to try and use this extra £33m as leverage in a financial distribution negotiation then maybe they'd want it done before the Bill is passed?

What was your reasoning here?

Tranmere mentioned the regulator so they must feel the regulator would intervene in something like this if it came up in some manner. 

Whilst they may not be involved in the calander you'd expect them to be involved in changes to competitions surely? So if the prem wanted to change to a 10 team league they'd be involved in that? 

I don't like how the Fa and the PL have done this. It smells rotten. Gives me very similar feelings to the SL. 

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Whilst it is outrageous that clubs were not consulted. This has been spoken about for a while. It was supposed to be part of the 'new deal' 

So why didn't clubs make their voices heard before? 

It was always going to happen when the later replays were scrapped. That was just the beginning. This won't be the end either. The big clubs do not want to play the little clubs. The reality is with their huge squad's, they have the choice to not play their 1st team if they do want that rest. 

Whats next? The bigger clubs not entering until the later rounds? 

Such a shame as the Fa Cup seems to have got its magic back over recent seasons. 

Perhaps they spoke about it but the FA and EPL went ahead with the decision on their own.

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

The competition has to have the same regulations in every round. It wouldn’t be acceptable to introduce ‘no replays’ in round 3 when the big boys join in.

It doesn't in its current form

The most bizarre thing about this is that AFAIK there are still replays in things like the preliminary round. On a realistic basis, if you get something like Yate vs Mousehole going to a replay, there is every chance teams lose money based on travel costs, appearance fees etc vs gate receipts - it’s not like Southern League games will generate massive crowds. Add in the mass fixture congestion this year and the sensible thing to do would be to do away with replays but before the final qualifying round - this would mean grassroots clubs have more chance of completing their seasons on time but don’t lose the chance of multiple paydays as they go through.

13 hours ago, cityexile said:

Thinking in hindsight it but might have been better to just let the buggers go to the super league and have been done with it.

12 hours ago, BigTone said:

100% agree. Let them all **** off and allow British football to return to sustainable reality. You've got my vote.

Yep I'm there now too. 80% of what is rotten in football would be instantly removed by having the top clubs gone. Genuinely, without the state-backed clubs and equivalents, the competitiveness of the English league as a whole would accelerate overnight. You'd be back to the 80's and 90's, the gap to non-league would not be so large, achievements like Wimbledon's promotion and Clough's back-to-back promotion/Championship win would be so much more possible. More than just 4 clubs would be able to win the league. Let them have their league and close it off.

Sounds great to me. And the 'super league' wouldn't get a penny from me.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, eardun said:

Our most famous match (arguably) of the last 30 years was an FA Cup replay at Anfield...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't like how the Fa and the PL have done this. It smells rotten. 

Think back to  the early 90's just before the Prem started. Div 4 & 3 had 24 clubs in each, Divs 2 & 1 22 each. The lower wo divs were considered Associate Members and for voting had four four votes between them. The top two divs were Full Members and had a vote each. The Associate members requested one vote each and the clubs then in Div 1, got together and suggested a formula that the rest of the League accepted. Div 4 clubs - 1 vote each, Div 3 - 3 votes each, Div 2 - 6 votes each and the Div 1 clubs would have 12 votes each. The 22 Div 1 clubs working together would out vote the other seventy  clubs in the League.

At the same meeting they pushed through "Each club will keep 100% of gate receipts". Until then gate receipts were split three ways. The majority went to the home team, some to the visitors and a third portion into a central pot submitted to the League. The central pots from each team were added together and at the end of the season split into 92 equal portions, one for each team.

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

Think back to  the early 90's just before the Prem started. Div 4 & 3 had 24 clubs in each, Divs 2 & 1 22 each. The lower wo divs were considered Associate Members and for voting had four four votes between them. The top two divs were Full Members and had a vote each. The Associate members requested one vote each and the clubs then in Div 1, got together and suggested a formula that the rest of the League accepted. Div 4 clubs - 1 vote each, Div 3 - 3 votes each, Div 2 - 6 votes each and the Div 1 clubs would have 12 votes each. The 22 Div 1 clubs working together would out vote the other seventy  clubs in the League.

At the same meeting they pushed through "Each club will keep 100% of gate receipts". Until then gate receipts were split three ways. The majority went to the home team, some to the visitors and a third portion into a central pot submitted to the League. The central pots from each team were added together and at the end of the season split into 92 equal portions, one for each team.

Let's all take a vote on that

14 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I see there's absolutely nothing from the club on this. 

From City's point of view, it's not a big thing, but if I were one of the non-league clubs I'd be fuming.

It should be a big thing for city. The Premier League and FA have colluded to make decisions that effect this club without giving Bristol City any say in the matter. The club should be very alarmed about this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the event of a draw after 90 minutes, how about all PL clubs playing a team from a lower division have to pay compensation in the form of 50% gate receipts for a full house at what would have been the replay location.

So if we draw 1-1 at home to Man Utd after 90 minutes (even if we go on to lose), Man U have to pay them 50% of a 75,000 crowd in the imaginary replay. The FA can set a standard ticket price.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you want to be cynical - try this. To ease the financial plight of many lower league clubs the draw ‘randomly’  selects the PL clubs home to a lower league club………..:cool2: 

So by your logic, teams in the championship draw Bournemouth or Luton at home but because they are PL they get home allocation? When most of the grounds in the champ are nearly all double capacity.