IGNORED

This Forum..

FNQ

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Nahki only has good things to say about Manning:

The latest man in charge in BS3 may only be five years Wells’ senior but in the relatively short period he’s been in place, he’s certainly left an impression on the striker with his openness and willingness to try and improve each and every individual, irrrespctive of whether they’re 33 or 23.

“All managers are different, but what I would say, in working with the gaffer is, first and foremost, he’s a great person, he loves the game, he’s 100 per cent committed to his job and, us as players, he really gives you that feeling that he wants you to progress as player; whether you’re a 19-year-old coming through or an experienced player like myself, there’s always room for improvement,” Wells added.

“His door is open, you walk in to have a chat and next thing you know you’ve been in his office for an hour, you’ve been watching clips, you’ve spoken about things and that’s one of the biggest things that I can say is great about him, it’s continuously wanting to improve you as a player, improve the team, take zero shortcuts and has the way and a process at how he wants to do things and I think it’s coming to fruition, so hats off to him, he’s been a breath of fresh air since he’s been in with his ideas and his training methods.

Footballer in talking positively about current manager shocker.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FNQ said:

Well I know that I’m viewed by too many as being overly negative.. fair enough I get that too.

But where is the feedback / outrage on no pre game LM presser before our toughest remaining game of the season?

Where is the update on players contracts after LM said last week that discussions would happen this week? 

Where is the forums feedback on Mark Sykes comments in the EP basically confirming what a lot of us have been saying with regard to old style versus Manningball?

Have we all just given in and conformed?

I was waiting for @Silvio Dante to start the thread!

As for contracts, “planning would start this this week”, ie LM and staff woukd sit down with BT to discuss, blah, blah.  I didn’t expect any conclusions to come out in the press conference this week.  But I’m sure we will start hearing whispers before the last game.

2 hours ago, eardun said:

There were press conferences this week - a bit different and audio only though as done outside at the Children's hospice. Manning’s previous comment about contracts was that they would start talking to players about contracts from this week - highly unlikely that they would be ready to talk to the press about that yet. 
Manning and Sykes preview Canaries trip - Bristol City FC

Been refreshing YouTube since yesterday lumch-time, but nothing added, so thanks for sharing.  Now listened, relaxed environment, lead to relaxed interviews with both LM and MS.  LM accepting that results and performances good in some cases in this “mini-block”, but also results exceeded performance in a couple.  JKL didn’t start last week, because RM has played CB before and GT would need to have a lot of physical 1v1s v Burgzorg…which is what panned out, and also why pre-match I suggested not necessarily the game to expose JKL.

Still chasing results, no on the beach mentality, unlikely to experiment.

Araoye recall was down to Tins, not a first team reason.

6 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Footballer in talking positively about current manager shocker.

Players tend to be much briefer with their comments if they're not happy. You have to accept that most players and many fans are happy with the coach, accepted not on this platform which is becoming increasingly disfunctional.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I didn't read it, that's why I asked.

If we have reverted to how we were playing under Pearson, why are people complaining about the dullness of the football? Reading this forum you would imagine that everything was whizzbangs and fireworks under Pearson, and the club is now on a deliberate campaign to find the most boring form of football possible and to inflict it on us for no purpose.

Even though FNQ has quoted a bit, it’s probably best to listen to it.

Without turning this thread into another NP v LM debate, I think you are misconstruing fans view (inc my own) that the football played in parts in the last 5 and also the same as large parts of the previous 23.  Some of the stuff played in those 23 was turgid, interspersed with Southampton and FA Cup performances.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was waiting for @Silvio Dante to start the thread!

Araoye recall was down to Tins, not a first team reason.

I thought you were next - we need a rota system!

Only left one comment in - that feels a touch of a bizarre decision if RA isn’t going with the first team as cover in view of defensive injuries. If Yeboah learns more at Bath than playing U23 games then I’d have thought the same would hold for Raph, particularly as WSM had the pressure of the Taunton game which would have been great for experience 

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Players tend to be much briefer with their comments if they're not happy. You have to accept that most players and many fans are happy with the coach, accepted not on this platform which is becoming increasingly disfunctional.

Will be (pretty much) the case with pretty much every manager at every club.

I find it staggering that people don’t understand the different dynamics of the dressing room.  Quite simply there will always be happy, and always be unhappy players.  Broadly speaking, they will be split into those that are getting regular minutes and those that aren’t.  There will be nuances, e.g. young player, finding his way, may be happy to be on the periphery whereas a senior player finding himself not playing will be unhappy.

There really isn’t a need for much willy waving about comments like these, but by the same token there isn’t any need for people to come up with the opposite - “look at his body language, he isn’t happy” type stuff either.

With a small, tight knit squad like ours, under both Nige and now under LM, there really isn’t much room for players to feel “out of it”, so generally you’ll hear positivity.  The fact that both Nahki and Syko were comfortable to express their positive views and also both referenced Nige too, probably shows what a good culture we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Will be (pretty much) the case with pretty much every manager at every club.

I find it staggering that people don’t understand the different dynamics of the dressing room.  Quite simply there will always be happy, and always be unhappy players.  Broadly speaking, they will be split into those that are getting regular minutes and those that aren’t.  There will be nuances, e.g. young player, finding his way, may be happy to be on the periphery whereas a senior player finding himself not playing will be unhappy.

There really isn’t a need for much willy waving about comments like these, but by the same token there isn’t any need for people to come up with the opposite - “look at his body language, he isn’t happy” type stuff either.

With a small, tight knit squad like ours, under both Nige and now under LM, there really isn’t much room for players to feel “out of it”, so generally you’ll hear positivity.  The fact that both Nahki and Syko were comfortable to express their positive views and also both referenced Nige too, probably shows what a good culture we have.

I know my glass is bone dry and not half empty, but Sykesy talking about how we dismantled Swansea in the old style versus a new Bristol City which we may see after the summer transfer window  doesn’t leave me with a feeling that he’s truly on board or the type of player required by LM for next season. If that’s correct we’ll be in trouble if that feeling is more widespread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

I know my glass is bone dry and not half empty, but Sykesy talking about how we dismantled Swansea in the old style versus a new Bristol City which we may see after the summer transfer window  doesn’t leave me with a feeling that he’s truly on board or the type of player required by LM for next season. If that’s correct we’ll be in trouble if that feeling is more widespread.

I’m hardly in the “LM messiah” category either, but I think he was just referencing that against certain sides we’ve been more effective on the counter. And even in that, the nuance of Swansea under Nige (last season) and Southampton under Manning was a matching approach for Russell Martin opponents.  There are other nuances like Leicester where we pressed higher and triggered earlier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Nahki only has good things to say about Manning:

The latest man in charge in BS3 may only be five years Wells’ senior but in the relatively short period he’s been in place, he’s certainly left an impression on the striker with his openness and willingness to try and improve each and every individual, irrrespctive of whether they’re 33 or 23.

“All managers are different, but what I would say, in working with the gaffer is, first and foremost, he’s a great person, he loves the game, he’s 100 per cent committed to his job and, us as players, he really gives you that feeling that he wants you to progress as player; whether you’re a 19-year-old coming through or an experienced player like myself, there’s always room for improvement,” Wells added.

“His door is open, you walk in to have a chat and next thing you know you’ve been in his office for an hour, you’ve been watching clips, you’ve spoken about things and that’s one of the biggest things that I can say is great about him, it’s continuously wanting to improve you as a player, improve the team, take zero shortcuts and has the way and a process at how he wants to do things and I think it’s coming to fruition, so hats off to him, he’s been a breath of fresh air since he’s been in with his ideas and his training methods.

I don’t think any of the fans would disagree that Manning is a nice bloke, loves football, committed and wants players to improve.

some fans just don’t agree he’s good enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Even though FNQ has quoted a bit, it’s probably best to listen to it.

Without turning this thread into another NP v LM debate, I think you are misconstruing fans view (inc my own) that the football played in parts in the last 5 and also the same as large parts of the previous 23.  Some of the stuff played in those 23 was turgid, interspersed with Southampton and FA Cup performances.

I would agree that there have been some turgid displays under Manning, we are frustratingly inconsistent because when it is good, it is very good.

It just confuses me a little that people say we should never have sacked Pearson because we were great, and it has become much duller under Manning, yet complain when a player suggests we have reverted to a more Pearson style.

I get that people think we shouldn't have sacked Pearson, and I can agree to an extent as he did a fine job getting us through a very difficult patch and he should maybe have had a bit more time but it did feel like our progression had stalled under him a little.

Whether Manning was the right replacement is also a topic for debate, and as yet I am on the fence but feel we have seen enough bright spots to think he will come good in the end.

I also don't particularly like the constant references to 'Manningball' (usually used in a derogatory sense) as though the football he plays is somehow different to a lot of teams out there. And once again, we have already seen that when it is good it is very good. We just need to find some consistency is all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I would agree that there have been some turgid displays under Manning, we are frustratingly inconsistent because when it is good, it is very good.

It just confuses me a little that people say we should never have sacked Pearson because we were great, and it has become much duller under Manning, yet complain when a player suggests we have reverted to a more Pearson style.

I get that people think we shouldn't have sacked Pearson, and I can agree to an extent as he did a fine job getting us through a very difficult patch and he should maybe have had a bit more time but it did feel like our progression had stalled under him a little.

Whether Manning was the right replacement is also a topic for debate, and as yet I am on the fence but feel we have seen enough bright spots to think he will come good in the end.

I also don't particularly like the constant references to 'Manningball' (usually used in a derogatory sense) as though the football he plays is somehow different to a lot of teams out there. And once again, we have already seen that when it is good it is very good. We just need to find some consistency is all.

Wow… I agree about the turgid displays..

However, this wasn’t a Manning vs Pearson thread.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Did anyone else find it difficult to hear what Sykes was actually saying? The background noise was too intrusive for me  and switched off.

That's just an age thing Val

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It just confuses me a little that people say we should never have sacked Pearson because we were great

I didn’t hear anyone saying we were “great”, I think people saw (in the main) us moving in the right direction, and after 2+ years of running the football side on pennies, it was now the start of maybe increasing the pace.  I saw respect for getting us out of the shit.

, and it has become much duller under Manning, yet complain when a player suggests we have reverted to a more Pearson style.

that is the bit I think you’re misinterpreting.  Nobody is complaining that when we play with a bit more “intent” (a single word used to encompass things, like pressing, aggression, quicker pace, etc).  You may conclude that is a bit more playing in the Pearson way.  Fans appear to prefer this over the “sterile” (my word for low-block, structured build-up that creates little) style football.

that’s your opinion that it had stalled.  I couldn’t disagree more, but it’s all about opinions.

good on you.  I hope so too.  CNG won’t understand that concept, that someone can be unimpressed with a manager but still want him to succeed.

it can be used either way, + or -, or just a simple way of typing a 100 descriptive words.  The worry for me is that it appears heavily influenced by our opponent, so I’m no longer sure whether Manningball is even a thing.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Henry said:

I don’t think any of the fans would disagree that Manning is a nice bloke, loves football, committed and wants players to improve.

some fans just don’t agree he’s good enough.

The people on here who don’t like him  will keep saying the same things, painting Manningball as this thing which is not really true as many as have pointed out we have played different styles and formations , but listening to Wells  and a couple of Oxford fans I know there is something of the Eddie Howe about him , very dedicated and detailed , scoff if you want but we will see 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Don’t agree with the last bit. Firstly the players don’t pay to watch the football so have a completely different perspective. Most fans bar one or two will give Manning a few months next season to see what he is going to bring to the party and form a view then. Whether players being paid to produce are happy or not if we’re paying to watch crap football that will be mentioned.

Secondly the players appear to have enough nous to realise they couldn’t play the Manning way without new players coming in. Given the second part I find it astounding that an ex-player who basically runs the football side of the club either didn’t realise this or if he did still commented the opposite for reasons only he knows.

• Flames 1

50 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think people forget as well how unhappy the forum was after the Preston game at the start of the season too.

Very much under NP.

The reality is that turgid performances will happen under any and every manager.

There's been multiple times I've turned off a game of a Man City because they just stifle the game and make it dull to watch, even at 0-0.

Now, it can truthfully be said that if it was us doing that I'd have kept watching because I'd have had a vested interest in the outcome, but it is an example of the current best team in the country under a manager who many claim to be one of the best also putting in turgid displays from time to time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

I think people forget as well how unhappy the forum was after the Preston game at the start of the season too.

Very much under NP.

After one game of the season!!!  Well that sums up OTIB agendas perfectly doesn’t it?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Nothing to play for. Fans not giving a left bollock until August now...................

I’m not sure I would give any bollock at anytime for any reason to Bristol City. I buy a season ticket and a shirt occasionally mind you!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Apologies Dave, I misinterpreted and thought you were suggesting one from myself.

It was quite a large number I'd say (from memory) and the issue was over the performance.

No, we are on each side of the middle line, but you (like me) explain our thoughts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

For myself, I’ve been away all week with work so have only been dipping in and out of the forum and didn’t see much traffic. I assumed it was end of season malaise.

I've already switched off until August. I am looking forward to the post Rotherham pub crawl through Hotwells though, followed by a curry. That's the match days experience I can get out of bed for.

Edited by Yozzarian

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

After one game of the season!!!  Well that sums up OTIB agendas perfectly doesn’t it?

And after the Birmingham and Stoke games to be fair.

But yes, OTIB is insane.

38 minutes ago, mozo said:

And after the Birmingham and Stoke games to be fair.

But yes, OTIB is insane.

I’ll die in a ditch that Birmingham wasn’t a bad performance, despite what some say.  But I’ll live with that difference of opinion.

But Stoke?

That just smacks of being purely basing on results.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll die in a ditch that Birmingham wasn’t a bad performance, despite what some say.  But I’ll live with that difference of opinion.

But Stoke?

That just smacks of being purely basing on results.

Was it 2 home wins in our opening 7 of the Championship season, Dave?

16 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

We've been battered into submission now by a clearly inept board who are lucky that results haven't been bad 

And why haven't the results been bad? Have you ever thought that maybe the board knew the players they had and wanted in the future and maybe just maybe the man they chose could bring out the best in them by somehow relating to them and using a different way, how amazing would that be?

Edited by pillred