IGNORED

Conway new deal, is it going to happen?

As our not very tactile 'Tecknical Director' has publicly stated we'll spend money on a 9 and a 10 (Twine or otherwise), Conway may well be waiting to see who comes through the door.

If we splash the cash he'll likely be sat on the bench, at least to start with. If we fail to bring in our targets he will be in a good position to get game time and negotiate a wage to reflect that.

He may also be waiting to see what these potential new signings are offered. If someone of similar ilk or lesser comes in and gets given a tasty contract, Conway would be in his rights to say "If he's worth X, I'm at worth Y, at least".

Very rarely I side with those stalling on deals but given what's BT has been quoted as saying, I wouldn't blame him for biding his time and seeing what happens before commiting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Tommy ain't going to be Premier League bound so maybe the grass won't be greener - or the wages that much higher.

He's no mug so he'll think long & hard about options/overall value of those options & not just monetary.

Well, not the English PL anyway. Maybe the SPL. Can’t help but think the continued Rangers links have substance, and as someone on the fringe of the Scottish team, that may well interest Tommy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Well, not the English PL anyway. Maybe the SPL. Can’t help but think the continued Rangers links have substance, and as someone on the fringe of the Scottish team, that may well interest Tommy.

I don't buy into the idea that because Tommy is giving himself a chance to play international football via the Scottish route, means he will necessarily be keen to play domestically north of the border..

• Like 2

A 21 year old striker who's scored roughly a goal every 225 minutes for two seasons (noted penalties) will have absolutely no issue at all getting a contract at a Championship club. 

Any club that feels they can give Tommy the right service will be queuing up for him.

I'd be surprised to see him stay tbh.

• Like 4

He’ll have seen his international ambitions stalled by this season’s calamity and probably already has rumblings of interest from other clubs that will get a tune out of him. Can’t imagine him signing a deal, though I’d love it if he did.

• Like 1

He's still ours until the end of next season, so he's going for a fee if he leaves.  That being said we still have 14 months left to get him pension to paper so maybe he just wants to look at his options over the summer.  

What do you think he's worth in the last year of his contract ?

2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

He's still ours until the end of next season, so he's going for a fee if he leaves.  That being said we still have 14 months left to get him pension to paper so maybe he just wants to look at his options over the summer.  

What do you think he's worth in the last year of his contract ?

£3 million tops.

Personally would keep him and let his contract run down. It will cost that to replace him, with transfer fee, wages, agent fees 

• Like 1

I’m sure the 3 teams that come down from the Premier League and a few of the top teams in this division that don’t go up will be interested in him. That would be a good step forward for him, a low fee for them and he’d probably double his wages.  I would guess that teams like that are waiting to see what league they are in before offering him anything formal. There are bound to have been conversations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

A 21 year old striker who's scored roughly a goal every 225 minutes for two seasons (noted penalties) will have absolutely no issue at all getting a contract at a Championship club. 

Any club that feels they can give Tommy the right service will be queuing up for him.

I'd be surprised to see him stay tbh.

As would I, but as a bit of devils advocate here if he wasn’t one of our own would we be so bullish? The fact is that if you take out the penalties Tommys scoring record this season has been pretty poor (debate/discuss the reasons why) and there is an argument he’s regressed. I don’t think a Scotland U21 cap adds any real value so if we were looking at a player who say, played for Stoke and had Tommys record this season pre penalties would it be a deal many of us would be that keen on?

(FWIW I do think he’ll have suitors, I do think he’ll go but in view of the above I’m not sure we’re getting top dollar, particularly at this contract stage)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As would I, but as a bit of devils advocate here if he wasn’t one of our own would we be so bullish? The fact is that if you take out the penalties Tommys scoring record this season has been pretty poor (debate/discuss the reasons why) and there is an argument he’s regressed. I don’t think a Scotland U21 cap adds any real value so if we were looking at a player who say, played for Stoke and had Tommys record this season pre penalties would it be a deal many of us would be that keen on?

(FWIW I do think he’ll have suitors, I do think he’ll go but in view of the above I’m not sure we’re getting top dollar, particularly at this contract stage)

True, but never forget his defensive work, blocking etc has improved immeasurably.....

I mean that's his main job right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I should clarify - my post was meant as a cold statement of fact rather than an argument for us to move heaven and earth to re-sign Tommy.

He has a good enough record, and market conditions (ie a lack of young out and out strikers with a decent record) mean he will get another club without issue, but I don't think that necessarily means we should offer him. Yes he's a Taunton boy, and believe me I love us having academy products in our team, but there will be other options.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m sure the 3 teams that come down from the Premier League and a few of the top teams in this division that don’t go up will be interested in him. That would be a good step forward for him, a low fee for them and he’d probably double his wages.  I would guess that teams like that are waiting to see what league they are in before offering him anything formal. There are bound to have been conversations. 

Could even be a straight swap with Burnley for Twine.. Both clubs could reason that they have traded £5m rated players?

• Hmmm 1

Tommy Conway is a promising young player who has not yet fully reached his potential, it is surely in both Tommy’s and the Club’s interest for him to stay , in order to (a) have plenty of playing time, (b) boost his value and of course wage demands, (c) help the club to push for promotion, and increase the number and quality of potential suitors, (d) send a message to potential new signings that City are serious about promotion and are not simply a selling club treading water.

Sadly we had the same debate last year over Alex Scott, and I predicted we would have this debate this year over Tommy. Conway is a young Bristol lad, who’s family and friends I assume are all local to this area, City have made him a first team starter, and will, we know, release him if a big offer came in. Why then would he not wait another year to establish himself, help his home city club , and boost his value both personally and to the club. There is no need for City or Tommy to simply grab the first offer , you know it will be Bournemouth, that comes along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatchers said:

Due to Manning only playing one forward and continually subbing Tommy off in games it must be very frustrating for him. He probably feels frustrated and undervalued.

As you say, currently sharing minutes with Nahki on a (roughly) 60:30 basis and both HC and TD talking about a no9 that does some “things” they feel Tommy doesn’t.  It’s hardly a ringing endorsement and a selling point to sign a new deal is it?  That’s not a criticism, just the trials and tribulations of squad building.  It may give us food for thought re contract length in future for our own young players, so that we don’t get into the last two years too quickly.  Might have to start offering 4 and 5 year deals, with a 2 year review built in.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Williams possibly, Conway no chance.

I’d much prefer Williams to stay, not too bothered about Conway who too many posters have an inflated opinion regarding his ability. To me he’s bang average and certainly wouldn’t get into any of the top Championship clubs teams.

I wouldn’t be the slightest concerned if he moves on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Tommy Conway is a promising young player who has not yet fully reached his potential, it is surely in both Tommy’s and the Club’s interest for him to stay , in order to (a) have plenty of playing time, (b) boost his value and of course wage demands, (c) help the club to push for promotion, and increase the number and quality of potential suitors, (d) send a message to potential new signings that City are serious about promotion and are not simply a selling club treading water.

Sadly we had the same debate last year over Alex Scott, and I predicted we would have this debate this year over Tommy. Conway is a young Bristol lad, who’s family and friends I assume are all local to this area, City have made him a first team starter, and will, we know, release him if a big offer came in. Why then would he not wait another year to establish himself, help his home city club , and boost his value both personally and to the club. There is no need for City or Tommy to simply grab the first offer , you know it will be Bournemouth, that comes along.

Why would Tommy stay if someone is offering to pay, say, double what he is on now? Or even 50% more? 

He can move, get a big pay rise AND boost his wage demands further still for his next contract 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

He's regressed IMO because he's playing as a lone striker.  He works better in a pairing with Wells but it seems at the moment it's either him or Wells.  That said I think he's slowly figuring it out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

He's regressed IMO because he's playing as a lone striker.  He works better in a pairing with Wells but it seems at the moment it's either him or Wells.  That said I think he's slowly figuring it out.

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why would Tommy stay if someone is offering to pay, say, double what he is on now? Or even 50% more? 

He can move, get a big pay rise AND boost his wage demands further still for his next contract 

All guesswork, but I’d imagine the contract offer on the table is considerably more than what he’s on now, let’s say double.  But your point still stands, someone might still offer double the double we are offering!!!

We had to make Vyner one of our highest paid players to extend his time here.  A bigger club could come in this summer (with the right fee) and improve upon that, whereas we are probably at our limit.  Obviously in both cases, the fee would need to be right too.

What we do need to get better at, is being proactive with regularly updating contracts for those players we want to keep.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1