IGNORED

Conway new deal, is it going to happen?

10 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He had no indication that we would've been a serious promotion candidate if he stayed with us. If we looked like we could've been up there then we'd have had a much better argument to keep hold of him for another season.

Whilst we can't compete with Premier League wages, we've got to get in a position where players believe they can reach the top flight with City, not via City. I think at the minute we're viewed as a stepping stone.

Top 6 candidate, not Promotion. That is broadly speaking for the Parachute clubs. However add Scott (fitness permitting) to a solid base and it can push a club forward.

I agree with the overall point, we have got to provide that belief but FFP permitting, sometimes you have to take a chance.

6 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Tommy won't sign, he would have signed back when others extended. He's gone in the summer.

I think the difference is he was a definite contender for a good club to come in for him at that stage, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case now. So I don’t think it follows that his options are the same as they once were. 

8 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I think the difference is he was a definite contender for a good club to come in for him at that stage, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case now. So I don’t think it follows that his options are the same as they once were. 

The kids a natural goalscorer we’ve just stopped playing to his strengths’ he won’t be short of offers.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

The kids a natural goalscorer we’ve just stopped playing to his strengths’ he won’t be short of offers.

I’m not questioning his talent or the reason he’s not scoring, I’m simply saying as you’ve said, he’s not scoring or impressing, so he won’t be attracting the same teams that he would have done. 
  I’ve actually been a big fan of Tommy and at one point thought he would be picked up quicker than Scott! 
 I believe he’ll come good, but I don’t think there’s any guarantees, that the teams that he would have attracted when others were being looked at, would still be interested. 
We’ll see. 

Edited by JP Hampton

Just now, JP Hampton said:

I’m not questioning his talent or the reason he’s not scoring, I’m simply saying as you’ve said, he’s not scoring or impressing, so he won’t be attracting the same teams that he would have done. 

He’s been watched for a while now’ the teams watching will know why the goals have dried up ‘ it’s pretty obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not even that I think Bournemouth represents a terrible move or anything  just that sometimes it can be best for development to properly hone your craft one more year.

Of course if it is about the £ and the possibility that he hits the ground running I get it.

I think, this is how you and I think in our “normal” careers…or sometimes this is how your boss handles your aspirations! 😉

Do I want the hassle of a promotion, more demands on me, etc, for a 5% pay rise, a few other benefits, e.g. the swivel chair, the automatic bottle opener…

…when in their case they are talking doubling, trebling, quadrupling, etc, notwithstanding the playing elements.  I

16 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

He’s been watched for a while now’ the teams watching will know why the goals have dried up ‘ it’s pretty obvious.

Yep, one club in particular are well aware of TC’s strengths and aware that his current team’s style isn’t helping…in fact you could argue that the only thing it is helping is the buying club’s outlay should he leave.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think, this is how you and I think in our “normal” careers…or sometimes this is how your boss handles your aspirations! 😉

Do I want the hassle of a promotion, more demands on me, etc, for a 5% pay rise, a few other benefits, e.g. the swivel chair, the automatic bottle opener…

…when in their case they are talking doubling, trebling, quadrupling, etc, notwithstanding the playing elements.  I

Yep, one club in particular are well aware of TC’s strengths and aware that his current team’s style isn’t helping…in fact you could argue that the only thing it is helping is the buying club’s outlay should he leave.

Yep. His market value is currently way below his book value. Or something like that.

I do wonder that if we get stupidly low offers, and/or can't find the no's 9/10 we want, we'd do something risky and keep hold of him in his final year and get the 'value on the pitch'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Well I know what I’d do if i was him, same as I moved employer last year for a pay rise and promotion.  It’s a short career so can’t see him turning down more money elsewhere 

So any of our players should just grab the first higher offer at the very first opportunity, or , perhaps , as a club we should stand for what is the right thing for us , show some ambition and leadership, and actually TRY to win something?

Using your analogy, I had an opportunity to change employer for a higher wage, decided that there was a real opportunity where I was , stayed, ended up an equity Partner, and that proved to be a very good decision. There is more to life than next week’s pay packet.And Bournemouth 😊

• Like 2

“Not at the moment,” Manning said, when asked whether there had been any developments around his contract situation. “We’re really keen to keep him. I think we’ve been quite clear on that. An offer has gone into him so the decision will be with him, ultimately.

“He’s been great, I love working with him. He’s been one, I think we can have a real positive impact on his career. I don’t think he’s someone who has to chase anything too soon. If you look at his journey so far this season, he’s improving and getting much better. For me, he should be targeting 15 goals plus next season, that should be the aim for him. He’s someone, when you look at it, the defensive side is terrific.

“At the weekend, the cross at the near post where he nearly scores, I think he’s now starting to get in better areas and part of it, having Twiney helps that; you see the relationship between them building, the link-up is massive.

“Tommy’s someone who we want to keep and the ball’s in his court now.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/tommy-conway-bristol-city-contract-9244274

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gazred said:

“Not at the moment,” Manning said, when asked whether there had been any developments around his contract situation. “We’re really keen to keep him. I think we’ve been quite clear on that. An offer has gone into him so the decision will be with him, ultimately.

“He’s been great, I love working with him. He’s been one, I think we can have a real positive impact on his career. I don’t think he’s someone who has to chase anything too soon. If you look at his journey so far this season, he’s improving and getting much better. For me, he should be targeting 15 goals plus next season, that should be the aim for him. He’s someone, when you look at it, the defensive side is terrific.

“At the weekend, the cross at the near post where he nearly scores, I think he’s now starting to get in better areas and part of it, having Twiney helps that; you see the relationship between them building, the link-up is massive.

“Tommy’s someone who we want to keep and the ball’s in his court now.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/tommy-conway-bristol-city-contract-9244274

Sounds like we want to keep Twine then!

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

If he has one year left on his contract would it not be in his own personal interest to let the contract run down and be a much more attractive proposition for clubs when there is no transfer fee required for him?

Depending on which clubs are knocking on his door this summer, yes.

It's so annoying that we find ourselves in such a weak position with a potential star.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Depending on which clubs are knocking on his door this summer, yes.

It's so annoying that we find ourselves in such a weak position with a potential star.

It feels to me that the amount of money in football these days has given all the advantages to the players.

Any player that feels he is good enough to have clubs wanting his services is going to be better off letting  his contract run down every single time.

The only ones that will sign new contracts whilst still in one are going to be the mediocre ones!

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

So any of our players should just grab the first higher offer at the very first opportunity, or , perhaps , as a club we should stand for what is the right thing for us , show some ambition and leadership, and actually TRY to win something?

Using your analogy, I had an opportunity to change employer for a higher wage, decided that there was a real opportunity where I was , stayed, ended up an equity Partner, and that proved to be a very good decision. There is more to life than next week’s pay packet.And Bournemouth 😊

The analogy doesn’t work as you obviously saw a path to success and the riches that come with it. If Conway stays they won’t come to him. There is no sign he will get promoted with us 

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The analogy doesn’t work as you obviously saw a path to success and the riches that come with it. If Conway stays they won’t come to him. There is no sign he will get promoted with us 

We are a top half of the table club (just) and finishing the season strongly.

Promotion is possible next season, not probable, but certainly possible.

• Like 2

I think although I'm prepared to revise my view, that the chances of promotion will be via the playoffs.

Parachute clubs are the predominant clubs who will be playing for top 2. There are caveats, e.g. Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley may not be so dominant, in some ways finances could hinder the last 2.

Otoh if any of Leeds, Leicester, Southampton stay down, they may well have to retrench as FFP Upper Loss limit drops to £61m next year and Parachute Payments by £10m in Year 2.

If Ipswich stay down I don't see them replicating th is year, on the flipside the relegated club a shouldn't (for this level) be such powers as Leeds, Leicester and Southampton at once.

The chances as a non Parachute club are diminishingly low however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Or he stays with us , improves, and grabs the attention of bigger clubs than the Bournemouth’s of this world. We THEN sell , getting more than we would for a raw talent now , and he gets a fatter contract with a top club.

What the @@@@ is wrong with that, because if Tommy shines next season, playing in our first team as opposed to Bournemouth’s bench , they certainly will come to him.

There is a bigger picture out there for those willing to look up ⚽😊⚽😊✔️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Or he stays with us , improves, and grabs the attention of bigger clubs than the Bournemouth’s of this world. We THEN sell , getting more than we would for a raw talent now , and he gets a fatter contract with a top club.

What the @@@@ is wrong with that, because if Tommy shines next season, playing in our first team as opposed to Bournemouth’s bench , they certainly will come to him.

There is a bigger picture out there for those willing to look up ⚽😊⚽😊✔️

Nothing wrong with that from our point of view but doubt he will sign 

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

We are a top half of the table club (just) and finishing the season strongly.

Promotion is possible next season, not probable, but certainly possible.

Things can be both possible and highly unlikely! 

I find it absolutely baffling that someone who has only scored 5 goals from open play in the league this season (level with Rob Dickie), is seemingly unwilling to sign a new deal. Even more so when he’s come through the academy and has closer ties with the club than most.

Unless we are offering very poor wages and we have effectively made the choice for him to leave, I’m not sure what step up he thinks he’ll be getting. If the offer is fair and he doesn’t want to be here then get rid. Perhaps the West Ham goals have gone to his head.

• Like 6

On 24/04/2024 at 14:39, Glen hump said:

Funny really. I think his finishing has for the most part been dreadful. 12 goals. Must be 6 pens in that?

If hes not signing then we sell. And then we can listen to the ‘we always sell our best players’ brigade all over again!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Funny really. I think his finishing has for the most part been dreadful. 12 goals. Must be 6 pens in that?

If hes not signing then we sell. And then we can listen to the ‘we always sell our best players’ brigade all over again!

I promise you will 😊

12 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I find it absolutely baffling that someone who has only scored 5 goals from open play in the league this season (level with Rob Dickie), is seemingly unwilling to sign a new deal. Even more so when he’s come through the academy and has closer ties with the club than most.

Unless we are offering very poor wages and we have effectively made the choice for him to leave, I’m not sure what step up he thinks he’ll be getting. If the offer is fair and he doesn’t want to be here then get rid. Perhaps the West Ham goals have gone to his head.

Couldn’t agree more. Intrigued to see what happens this summer but it does irritate me a bit. Feels like he has an over inflated opinion of himself at the moment as I can’t really see where he’d go from here that would make leaving so appealing.

He may prove me wrong but no chance of going to the prem in my view. he could get a move to a higher champ club but prob wouldn’t play anywhere near as much as he does/ will here.

Seems a strange position for him to take at this point in his career.

• Like 2

His goal celebration today seemed to suggest he was staying. 
He ran to the fans and was pointing to the ground as if to say “I’m staying right here”. 
Plus, when he was subbed, it didn’t seem like it was a final ovation, last time I see you at the Gate kinda thing. 
Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s signing a new deal but it certainly suggests he’s not going anywhere yet 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

His goal celebration today seemed to suggest he was staying. 
He ran to the fans and was pointing to the ground as if to say “I’m staying right here”. 
Plus, when he was subbed, it didn’t seem like it was a final ovation, last time I see you at the Gate kinda thing. 
Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s signing a new deal but it certainly suggests he’s not going anywhere yet 

His insta suggests he’s staying, def celebrating today looked like he was signing a contract 

Just now, George Rs said:

38FFE026-DAD8-408F-9B03-373D904AF26F.thumb.jpeg.709a74b0a6229f347b344c9f1b231534.jpeg

Scotty Murray doing gods work in Conways instagram comment section 😂

Literally just reading that 

1 minute ago, alexukhc said:

His insta suggests he’s staying, def celebrating today looked like he was signing a contract 

Literally just reading that 

Celebration today was them all doing a “turn the volume down” reference