IGNORED

Conway new deal, is it going to happen?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We had to make Vyner one of our highest paid players to extend his time here.

Which Tommy, and Tommy's agent, will know. They'll also know that strikers get paid more than CBs. Yes Tommy is a contract below Vyner in his "contract cycle", but I'm sure he'll be asking, quite fairly, to be one of our top paid players.

• Like 3

If Conway signs a contract, brilliant, but I think the more interesting question for me is what we do if he doesn't.

Do we cash in now, when his stock possibly isn't at its highest, or do we give it a year and hope he has the kind of season that pushes a tribunal fee up to the level of what we'd currently get, whilst taking the chance that a move to Scotland or abroad would mean losing compensation entirely?

I don’t get all the hype over Tommy. Yes give him space he will finish and is a good penalty taker, but he has flaws to his game that others would see.

watch replays of any corners for or against and you will see he never challenges for the ball. He very rarely wins the ball upfield when challenged and always looks for a free kick. He chases and closes down well, but only rarely wins the ball. The problem he plays in a number 9 position but does not play like a traditional centre forward 

There is always a difference to the way we play when Nakki comes on for Tommy and we look more likely to score. So a younger and a bit bigger Nakki would be a better fit in our system.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

5 minutes ago, riggers said:

I don’t get all the hype over Tommy. Yes give him space he will finish and is a good penalty taker, but he has flaws to his game that others would see.

watch replays of any corners for or against and you will see he never challenges for the ball. He very rarely wins the ball upfield when challenged and always looks for a free kick. He chases and closes down well, but only rarely wins the ball. The problem he plays in a number 9 position but does not play like a traditional centre forward 

There is always a difference to the way we play when Nakki comes on for Tommy and we look more likely to score. So a younger and a bit bigger Nakki would be a better fit in our system.

I think Nahki's experience gives him much more awareness of players around him and per minute played I'd imagine he gets more assists than Tom. That'll come in time perhaps for TC. No one can accuse him being half-hearted in our games - at our worst, when heads have dropped, it's often Conway encouraging the team to pick up and attack. 

Can we do better than Tom? Of course. The question is will we? 

15 minutes ago, riggers said:

Neither set the world alight and I think we will need better if we want to push higher next season

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, riggers said:

he has flaws to his game that others would see.

Of course he has flaws in his game he is relatively inexperienced and still learning his trade. 
However, and here is the big point, how many players at the top of their trade play for our club ? 
Most are up and coming or the other side of their peak, to consider promotion we need to have a backbone in the first team of players who are at or near to their best. Can we attract / keep this type ? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fatchers said:

Due to Manning only playing one forward and continually subbing Tommy off in games it must be very frustrating for him. He probably feels frustrated and undervalued.

Tommy has been playing as a lone striker most of his short pro career. That's not a recent thing. And he's never consistently had good service.

I also doubt he feels that he deserves the full 90 every game while more senior pros like Wells and Cornick are second fiddle to him.

The question is, which team out there will offer him better money, and better minutes.

The first bit is easy, but he might not necessarily want to go to a club like Burnley, Southampton or West Brom, for example, where he might have to start down the pecking order and try to play his way into contention.

He best mate, Alex Scott, has only played more than 60 minutes in 6 games this season, despite being in the squad 18 times.

Maybe Conway doesn't care about any of this, but he might be considering it.

I'd imagine his agent will want him to move on.

11 hours ago, eardun said:

I’d be surprised if TC doesn’t wait to see if there is any interest from other clubs. 

Where do you think he could end up? I cannot imagine him attracting interest from any of the current Championship top 6. If he goes elsewhere in the division it would be for a bit more money and a sideways move.

For me he has not, particularly this season shown enough to get a bigger move. Perhaps playing in a 2 would suit him more.

I would sign a 2 year deal and try to improve enough to catch a better move.

51 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He's not said anything publicly that indicates he wants to stay, has allegedly developed an ego after seeing Scott move. Would be very surprised if he signs a new deal.

I think the ego is evident on the field where he can often be seen giving instructions to others whilst producing very little himself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Tommy ain't going to be Premier League bound so maybe the grass won't be greener - or the wages that much higher.

He's no mug so he'll think long & hard about options/overall value of those options & not just monetary.

Spl bound I think 

Tommy ain't going to be Premier League bound so maybe the grass won't be greener - or the wages that much higher.

He's no mug so he'll think long & hard about options/overall value of those options & not just monetary.

Spl bound I think 

Spl bound I think 

The Scott point is an interesting one. Did he make the leap a year too soon or has he made the right call.

He has had injuries and that wonderful assist v Fulham on Boxing Day but highlights have been modest for him.

Conway certainly isn't PL ready yet, a higher ranked Championship club never know.

The lone striker thing, quite a lot of clubs now play just one through the middle. Yes I know 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 all have different characteristics and the service to our strikers has lacked at times this year.

Overall sadly I don't see him signing. Having said that the play until May 2025 and take a Tribunal I'd be inclined to favour.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Scott point is an interesting one. Did he make the leap a year too soon or has he made the right call.

He has had injuries and that wonderful assist v Fulham on Boxing Day but highlights have been modest for him.

Conway certainly isn't PL ready yet, a higher ranked Championship club never know.

The lone striker thing, quite a lot of clubs now play just one through the middle. Yes I know 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 all have different characteristics and the service to our strikers has lacked at times this year.

Overall sadly I don't see him signing. Having said that the play until May 2025 and take a Tribunal I'd be inclined to favour.

He's had injuries and it takes time to step up. I think he'll be much improved next season if he stays fit.

Edited by KegCity

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The rumour is that Scott went from being on £4k a week with us to £40k a week at Bournemouth.

He’s been on the pitch for at least part of 18 Premiership games so far this season.

I’ll be amazed if he has even a moment of reflection as to whether it was a year too soon.

As for Conway, like you I’ll be shocked if he signs another contract with us, & think that his next destination will be better than some on here.

Wolves have been rumoured of late, plus if either Southampton or Ipswich went up I could see him at either of those.

Just now, KegCity said:

He's had injuries and it takes time to step up. I think he'll have be much improved next season if he stays fit.

I hope so.  You're probably right, I know a Bournemouth fan- he told me this time last year that Semenyo was settling in nicely despite a slow start. Look at him now.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The rumour is that Scott went from being on £4k a week with us to £40k a week at Bournemouth.

He’s been on the pitch for at least part of 18 Premiership games so far this season.

I’ll be amazed if he has even a moment of reflection as to whether it was a year too soon.

As for Conway, like you I’ll be shocked if he signs another contract with us, & think that his next destination will be better than some on here.

Wolves have been rumoured of late, plus if either Southampton or Ipswich went up I could see him at either of those.

I was thinking less from a financial angle and more whether one more year in a side that had a more solid base year ln year could absolutely have honed his game, maybe some more goals from midfield as he was looking potent pre season and then go with all boxes ticked, perhaps carrying us to more serious top 6 contention current bolstering his reputation.

39 minutes ago, Selred said:

Where do you think he may end up?

Where Conway goes is irrelevant to me but in the SPL he’d be a superstar at one of the big two - he’d be up against piss poor defenders virtually every game.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was thinking less from a financial angle and more whether one more year in a side that had a more solid base year ln year could absolutely have honed his game, maybe some more goals from midfield as he was looking potent pre season and then go with all boxes ticked, perhaps carrying us to more serious top 6 contention current bolstering his reputation.

Perhaps if they hadn't sacked Nige. I don't expect he has any regrets not staying after this season's fiasco. He seems to done well at Bournemouth

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps if they hadn't sacked Nige. I don't expect he has any regrets not staying after this season's fiasco. He seems to done well at Bournemouth

Well yeah, my thinking was flowing from there. Scott stays, happier NP, happier club- suddenly we are truly built for a 4-3-3..Scott  creating, carrying- best base around him yet. Everything (his fitness permitting) couldve panned out a bit differently. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well yeah, my thinking was flowing from there. Scott stays, happier NP, happier club- suddenly we are truly built for a 4-3-3..Scott  creating, carrying- best base around him yet. Everything (his fitness permitting) couldve panned out a bit differently. 

I think Nige was doomed before then, irrespective of whether AS stayed or not.

Well, I've heard from a mate down the pub who has a cousin who has a mate who once saw TC in Sainsbury's who said that he may or may not leave this summer.  You heard it here first but don't shoot the messenger - only passing on first class info as I hear it.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 2

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why would Tommy stay if someone is offering to pay, say, double what he is on now? Or even 50% more? 

He can move, get a big pay rise AND boost his wage demands further still for his next contract 

Because by playing, and improving his profile he has every opportunity of getting a better offer from a bigger club. In other words, backing himself, and getting to eat his Mum’s dinners.

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

But Scott did not want to stay, he was pushing for the move

18 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Because by playing, and improving his profile he has every opportunity of getting a better offer from a bigger club. In other words, backing himself, and getting to eat his Mum’s dinners.

Well I know what I’d do if i was him, same as I moved employer last year for a pay rise and promotion.  It’s a short career so can’t see him turning down more money elsewhere 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But Scott did not want to stay, he was pushing for the move

It's not even that I think Bournemouth represents a terrible move or anything  just that sometimes it can be best for development to properly hone your craft one more year.

Of course if it is about the £ and the possibility that he hits the ground running I get it.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not even that I think Bournemouth represents a terrible move or anything  just that sometimes it can be best for development to properly hone your craft one more year.

Of course if it is about the £ and the possibility that he hits the ground running I get it.

He had no indication that we would've been a serious promotion candidate if he stayed with us. If we looked like we could've been up there then we'd have had a much better argument to keep hold of him for another season.

Whilst we can't compete with Premier League wages, we've got to get in a position where players believe they can reach the top flight with City, not via City. I think at the minute we're viewed as a stepping stone.

• Like 2