IGNORED

Tinnion is back!

5 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Pearson has more football knowledge in his todger than Tinnion has .

I see your affection to NP goes beyond just his press conferences then....

I'm glad you've had the opportunity to aquaint yourself with his todger 👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jobi said:

His recruitment has been very good.

I can't say for 100% , but I imagine Pearson had a big say in who came in under him. 
The 2 loaned back seem promising but the loans seem like Manning lead. 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It would be quite interesting to see Brian Tinnions managerial stats here - which were generally regarded as a disaster - compared to Nigel Pearsons.

Of course, they both managed us in different divisions, but then our squad would have been equivalently different.

I don't know how they'd actually stack up as Tinnions stats don't seem to be easily found - but I know for a fact that Pearsons were underwhelming.

EDIT - also, on topic, has he not just tweeted a couple of factual references to the season just gone..?

Academy players coming through - true.

Finished higher than we have for several years - true.

Progress..? Questionable I suppose - but factually correct. Of course he's going to look at the positive slant in his assements. 

Next season, with a summer window & pre-season under his belt, is the only fair way to judge LM.

Personally I think he has done OK generally. Certainly alot of work to do & improvements to be made - but there were also some encouraging signs aswell.

Next season will be interesting.!

Comparing Tinnion and Pearson as managers. Yep I was right. You haven’t got a clue. 

One a failed manager and a player who spent most of his career in league one compared to one with promotions and who played a part in a team winning the Premier League. 

Un*******believable. 

Oh it took all of two seconds to find out how much of a failure he was. If memory wasn’t enough. 

• Like 2

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I can't say for 100% , but I imagine Pearson had a big say in who came in under him. 
The 2 loaned back seem promising but the loans seem like Manning lead. 

Cant imagine in a million years that we were in for Twine in the summer under Pearson. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why might that be.. 

Because he was hugely restricted that is why!!

"The budget is the budget"..remember. Or words to that effect.

I thought Pearson made it clear he didn’t want loans, and then only went into the loan market when we had injuries for TGH.

• Facepalm 3

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

Comparing Tinnion and Pearson as managers. Yep I was right. You haven’t got a clue. 

One a failed manager and a player who spent most of his career in league one compared to one with promotions and who played a part in a team winning the Premier League. 

Un*******believable. 

Oh it took all of two seconds to find out how much of a failure he was. If memory wasn’t enough. 

Comparing their time here - not their overall managerial career...

I'm looking it up now & it seems that the "failure" (I agree, it was) of BT's time in charge here wasn't all that different to NP's time here.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Cant imagine in a million years that we were in for Twine in the summer under Pearson. 

That's what I meant by the loans , I wasn't very clear. 

2 loaned back, Bird and Stokes and the 2 loans Twine and Mebude.  

I imagine the second 2 were very Manning lead.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

That's what I meant by the loans , I wasn't very clear. 

2 loaned back, Bird and Stokes and the 2 loans Twine and Mebude.  

I imagine the second 2 were very Manning lead.

Yes I would say so too - can’t see either twine or mebude being on Pearson radar.

1 minute ago, Jobi said:

I thought Pearson made it clear he didn’t want loans, and then only went into the loan market when we had injuries for TGH.

Even that wasn't a loan as normal. We had an agreement to buy, basically a try before you buy. And it offset the payment until we were happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

So playing over 450 games for us, bringing lads through the academy doesn’t deserve respect? That’s a bit sad. 

Who has he brought through the Academy?

3rd division footballer in a generally dominant side doesnt deserve legend status.

Woefully under qualified for his role topped off with juvenile twitter incursions makes him fair game imo.

Edited by Natchfever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Happy to look back albeit I question how feasible loans were for a good chunk given how hamstrung via FFP we were.

Post the sale of Scott, another couple of key loans to ice the cake could have made a great difference.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Funnily enough I did that.!

Transfermarket didn't list anything on the page it gave me & I wasn't that fussed about looking around for it.

It just made me wonder how their stats might compare - seeing as there is some weird love in with NP, from some, yet Tinnions reign was a complete disaster.

I did just that and brought up the results.

FWIW I didn’t need to check to know that Tins PPG will be better than Nige’s PPG, so I stopped.

I was gonna ramble on, but I think I think there was different expectations on Tinnion upon appointment, ie to get us promoted, than Nige, which was more to do with keeping us out of FFP trouble and in the Championship.  So comparing PPG is futile.  What you should be doing is comparing Tinnion against expectation, not to anyone else.  Fwiw that era I was in the city wilderness, so you’ll have to elaborate on whether you thought Tins did well against expectations.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Happy to look back albeit I question how feasible loans were for a good chunk given how hamstrung via FFP we were.

Post the sale of Scott, another couple of key loans to ice the cake could have made a great difference.

He made it clear initially that the squad wasn’t in the right place for loans, and that could cause additional damage. He then stated he didn’t want loans as it could be a barrier to our own players progress. He was definately consistent with his message.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Comparing their time here - not their overall managerial career...

I'm looking it up now & it seems that the "failure" (I agree, it was) of BT's time in charge here wasn't all that different to NP's time here.

Well for one we never entered the relegation zone under NP or if we did it was 2-3 games early season.

Secondly we were a big hitter in the third tier. At this level from a budgetary (not income but budget) we are middling probably if not a bit lower.

Thirdly we had the budget of Wilson near enough in his 1st year, Accounts show it and Lita was stepping up yet we regressed- less said about his 2nd year the better- whereas under NP we made cuts, we had to and some sales. He stabilised us while steadily improving the underlying numbers from a horribly low base.

I'll give credit for adding Orr and Brooker, Brown if not for injuries did he have injuries, I thought he had promise at one point. Lita flew and flourished and was sold yes. However we worsened sharply whereas NP lost his best and was holding the level if not improving us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jobi said:

He made it clear initially that the squad wasn’t in the right place for loans, and that could cause additional damage. He then stated he didn’t want loans as it could be a barrier to our own players progress. He was definately consistent with his message.

He also spoke in great detail about the packages that clubs demand for loanees. Palace wanted us to pay double Jake O’Brien’s wages for a 5 month loan.  

Anyone who flat out says ‘he didn’t like loans’ clearly either doesn’t listen, didn’t like him, or probably both!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I did just that and brought up the results.

FWIW I didn’t need to check to know that Tins PPG will be better than Nige’s PPG, so I stopped.

I was gonna ramble on, but I think I think there was different expectations on Tinnion upon appointment, ie to get us promoted, than Nige, which was more to do with keeping us out of FFP trouble and in the Championship.  So comparing PPG is futile.  What you should be doing is comparing Tinnion against expectation, not to anyone else.  Fwiw that era I was in the city wilderness, so you’ll have to elaborate on whether you thought Tins did well against expectations.

Ignoring the partisan positions on otib, who in the broader football world would mention Tinnion in a comparative exercise with Nigel Pearson.

City in a nutshell.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

11 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Part of that was a hedge, when you are in the FFP shit that we were loans that entail healthy wage contributions and a loan fee offen,they aren't feasible.

Only when Semenyo went and the prior high earners left in January and summer 2023 did we have breathing room really. Albeit had we kept Scott I wonder how much scope to add this season? I estimated £10-15m this season headroom post sale and maybe more.

@petehinton Agree with what you say, but also IMO adding loan fee dependent players not feasible between January 2022 and the Semenyo sale, maybe even a bit longer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

He also spoke in great detail about the packages that clubs demand for loanees. Palace wanted us to pay double Jake O’Brien’s wages for a 5 month loan.  

Anyone who flat out says ‘he didn’t like loans’ clearly either doesn’t listen, didn’t like him, or probably both!

100%

• Like 1

Tinnion - absolute disaster who should never have been given the job & left with most people pitying him for the blight on his CV & impact on legendary status at the club....

MP - 61

W - 22

D - 22

L - 17

Win % - 36.07%

PPG - 1.44

Pearson - one of the best managers we've had - the big name that many had craved, who was outrageously replaced with some people still fawning over his departure now.....

MP - 131

W - 42

D - 31

L - 58

Win % - 32.1%

PPG - 1.2

Well that's a little awkward..!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 17

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well for one we never entered the relegation zone under NP or if we did it was 2-3 games early season.

Secondly we were a big hitter in the third tier. At this level from a budgetary (not income but budget) we are middling probably if not a bit lower.

Thirdly we had the budget of Wilson near enough in his 1st year, Accounts show it and Lita was afeppjnf up yet we regressed- less said about his 2nd year the better- whereas under NP we made cuts, we had to and some sales. He stabilised us while steadily improving the underlying numbers from a horribly low base.

I'll give credit for adding Orr and Brooker, Brown if not for injuries did he have injuries, I thought he had promise at one point. Lita flew and flourished and was sold yes. However we worsened sharply whereas NP lost his best and was holding the level if not improving us.

I wouldn't give BT any credit for Orr. True that he did sign him, but as a very lacklustre midfielder who he then didn't use much as a regular starter. Gary J then moved Orr to right back, which turned out to be great for both us and the player.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Part of that was a hedge, when you are in the FFP shit that we were loans that entail healthy wage contributions and a loan fee offen,they aren't feasible.

Only when Semenyo went and the prior high earners left in January and summer 2023 did we have breathing room really. Albeit had we kept Scott I wonder how much scope to add this season? I estimated £10-15m this season headroom post sale and maybe more.

Part of me questions whether Pearson was that interested in the whole recruitment side of things - he always mentioned about not dealing with agents - I wonder whether he is this hands off types (not saying he is, I have no idea).

Tinnion - absolute disaster who should never have been given the job & left with most people pitying him for the blight on his CV & impact on legendary status at the club....

MP - 61

W - 22

D - 22

L - 17

Win % - 36.07%

PPG - 1.44

Pearson - one of the best managers we've had - the big name that many had craved, who was outrageously replaced with some people still fawning over his departure now.....

MP - 131

W - 42

D - 31

L - 58

Win % - 32.1%

PPG - 1.2

A little awkward?  How about a bit of context?

League 1 vs Championship.

Inherited a team that had just lot a playoff final vs Inherited a team left in the deep dung after Ashton, LJ and Dean Holden.

• Like 10
  • Flames 5

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

MP - 61

W - 22

D - 22

L - 17

Win % - 36.07%

PPG - 1.44

MP - 131

W - 42

D - 31

L - 58

Win % - 32.1%

PPG - 1.2

Whats awkward is comparing the performance of two managers who operated in different divisions....

• Like 6

MP - 61

W - 22

D - 22

L - 17

Win % - 36.07%

PPG - 1.44

MP - 131

W - 42

D - 31

L - 58

Win % - 32.1%

PPG - 1.2

I know you’re being deliberately obtuse, but would it blow your mind to know that Unai Emery at Arsenal had a better ppg in the Prem than Thomas Frank at Brentford? One would be seen to have failed, one succeeded.

It’s about the situation. If you can’t appreciate that then you should probably withdraw as your lack of understanding is “awkward” as opposed to anything else 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

A little awkward?  How about a bit of context?

League 1 vs Championship.

Inherited a team that had just lot a playoff final vs Inherited a team left in the deep dung after Ashton, LJ and Dean Holden.

Sorry mate posted before I read this.

Spot on.