IGNORED

Retained list

I’m guessing he’s lining up a middle 2 midfield variation of Knight, Bird, TGH and Williams (or replacement) with Naismith and McCrorie as fall back options. 

I’d have kept James for another 12 months but he could have a 3 year deal lined up closer to home which he couldn’t/wouldn’t match. 

Can see him playing for someone like Derby next season, you’d think 1st year back in Championship he’s exactly what they’d want/need

Weimann I’m less concerned about, struggled to have the impact as before, went to WBA and not played much either so again being based in the Midlands you’d think Derby would be ideal

Well we can only judge this on the signings now especially as it seems Williams is spinning a few offers around

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Wonder who ultimately made the call on James?

Mrs James perhaps? Was it her or King's wife who said they were looking forward to going back home at the end of the season? Think it might have been both actually on their social media months ago.

I didn't expect either of them to stay after reading those comments, and the fact they were Pearson's players after all.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I am really surprised about Harry. I have followed him as I report on the 21's as well. In less than a year, his Bristol City dream has collapsed.

Travelled with the 1st team on last year's preseason tour...

One to file under the “thought he made it after moving up to the first team” column. Was poor at Gloucester on loan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lew-T said:

Even with Bird signing and if Williams stays, I still think we’re light in midfield. 

Bird Williams Knight and TGH is good enough I would say - remembering that others can step in if we have a disaster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

That’s a big shout Pete, I’d probably say Marv edges it for me but absolutely class I’d agree. 

I absolutely loved Marv. But he was incredible for a season (if that?). What a season it was mind, but for consistency and longevity it has to be Matty for me. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My view is moreso Tinnion and Jon Lansdown, probably Tinnion than Manning per se but a combination would make sense unless those two pull rank somewhat.

To be fair to Liam he has made respectful comments on the two “Pearson” lads that are leaving. The bloke who didn’t want King picked at all (yet Manning utilised him when he was available 😂😂) has kept quiet. I suppose you draw your own conclusions from that.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I think we’ve lacked true depth for some time and Matty would have been perfect midfield cover with his know-how and calmness. Sad to see him leave. 

I thought Marlee Francois was viewed as quite a prospect, guess it’s not quite happened, all the best to all the released youngsters. Down but not out. 

Unfortunately Francois had a long term injuries and kept getting injured. A shame but at this point the likes of Nelson, Morrison, Yeboah and Thomas are all ahead of him naturally

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I am really surprised about Harry. I have followed him as I report on the 21's as well. In less than a year, his Bristol City dream has collapsed.

Travelled with the 1st team on last year's preseason tour...

He will do a Vince Harper....drop down to National League South and an EFL club will soon come in for him imo. I hope so anyway.

I rate him as did Mr Pearson.

• Like 1

Whilst Matty has had a great season and would be happy to see given a new year contract, I read on here numerous times about we do not have the players to play the way Manning wants, so not sure we should keep an ageing player just because he has been good in a certain system, has played at a higher level and has experience. 

Lots complain about ambition and being satisfied with mid table, yet want to keep a player that was part of a team that was not good enough to push on and is on the wrong side of 30.

Hopefully with Bird already in the door and some other replacements perhaps maybe we can move forward.

With regards King would love him to stay or come back one day, but do not think his leaving is anything to do with clearing out Pearsons players as already proven to work and support LM, but Manning would need to either increase his coaching staff or sack someone and its what he feels works for him, not that Kingy is a city supporter and great guy.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

He will do a Vince Harper....drop down to National League South and an EFL club will soon come in for him imo. I hope so anyway.

I rate him as did Mr Pearson.

Joseph James was getting minutes ahead of him though and Leeson apparently struggled at Gloucester. Wish him well but one thing we do always seem to get right is our judgement on academy players

No real surprises though I thought James could get another year, if he would sign a one year contract. He’s probably better off leaving as he might get a 2 year contract at another club, probably in League 1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

One to file under the “thought he made it after moving up to the first team” column. Was poor at Gloucester on loan. 

Good point. Playing with lesser players though has hindered his dream.

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Matty James, the best CM we’ve ever had at this level. A hill I’m willing to die on. 

I’d argue for Paul Hartley who was top class for one season, but agree James was a class above most others I’ve seen. Can understand the decision given James turns 33 in the summer but if we don’t retain Williams midfield looks light in terms of experience next season. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

To be fair to Liam he has made respectful comments on the two “Pearson” lads that are leaving. The bloke who didn’t want King picked at all (yet Manning utilised him when he was available 😂😂) has kept quiet. I suppose you draw your own conclusions from that.

Yeah, Manning complementary, when played King as you say at CB in extremis iirc. I've a fair idea who made this call- no concrete proof of course but a fair idea.

James I'd have (wages permitting) offered a 2 year deal, perhaps in Year 2 he would have morphed into the elder statesman role that King had while other midfielders started to approach the start of their peak years.

This feels a mistake by the hierarchy..a certain Technikul Directur.

Jon Lansdown alienates the fans with his mere presence, Tinnion with his lack of professionalism and proclamations, decisions- what a team!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, pongo88 said:

No real surprises though I thought James could get another year, if he would sign a one year contract. He’s probably better off leaving as he might get a 2 year contract at another club, probably in League 1

Might’ve been offered a one year deal tbf, but whatever deal he takes now will likely be his last of any significant value and it’s very likely he can still get 3 years somewhere else. 

Will definitely miss him and I feel we need to bring in experience in midfield, Williams is our oldest at 27 now and next closest is 23. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst Matty has had a great season and would be happy to see given a new year contract, I read on here numerous times about we do not have the players to play the way Manning wants, so not sure we should keep an ageing player just because he has been good in a certain system, has played at a higher level and has experience. 

Lots complain about ambition and being satisfied with mid table, yet want to keep a player that was part of a team that was not good enough to push on and is on the wrong side of 30.

Hopefully with Bird already in the door and some other replacements perhaps maybe we can move forward.

With regards King would love him to stay or come back one day, but do not think his leaving is anything to do with clearing out Pearsons players as already proven to work and support LM, but Manning would need to either increase his coaching staff or sack someone and its what he feels works for him, not that Kingy is a city supporter and great guy.

Absolutely bang on, a good player and will no doubt get another Championship move. But as much as he brings a lot of calmness and control, if we opted for him over Williams then we lose the bite and energy that Williams brings. I don’t think we’re in a position to keep both either 

• Hmmm 1

Do really like James but sensible move releasing I think. Big earner at club, a lot of people saying should of stayed on for another year, but it’s not as easy as that Jamo probably looking at a 2 year contract somewhere for that security - can’t blame him or the club on this one! Can see him fitting in at Derby to replace Bird they usually like giving older pros deals and he’s defo got another season in the champ 

Good Luck to him and the rest of the released players. 

Let's hope we’re fighting for Williams to stay 

We defo do need some experience in the changing room, even if it is an older head number 2 for max who’s been there and done it

Shame about Jamo, leadership on and off the pitch seriously gone now with King & James. Undervalued thing. 

Obviously both close to Nige too, don’t think that played a big part but hopefully King can get a coaching role. They seemed like they both wanted to stay in some way. 

Probably Dickie most natural leader now? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Even with Bird signing and if Williams stays, I still think we’re light in midfield. 

Depends how good Murphy is.  We have 5 including him for 2 positions.  I would assume if we don’t sign another, that Murphy is 5th choice and will be getting good amount of minutes 

• Like 1

James is a 50/50 decision for me . Just for the way the recruitment has gone with making TGH permanent, Murphy, Bird, trying to resign Williams I felt that there was maybe not a spot for James on big money. If he'd settle for a King type of role then there was definitely a place for him here but who knows what he wants.

I am shit scared for the season ahead without him though, I still have nightmares about every Championship team running straight through our centre midfield after Cisse left.

And ultimately this is another  big decision and a risk that is gonna be on Tinnions head 

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Matty James, the best CM we’ve ever had at this level. A hill I’m willing to die on. 

Completely agree.

Absolutely staggering how long it took for some people to realise how important he was.

Edit- For some reason I’d momentarily forgotten the absolute king that was big Marv. Totally different skillsets obviously, but I’d have him over James tbf.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1