IGNORED

Retained list

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yep. He had about 8 good games. 
As I said earlier, no mention of Pack, who had about 157 good games and another 100 incredibly consistent ones. 

Its unbelievable really mate, he came here for one season, big money did nothing to get the rep he's got. I would imagine half those blowing his trumpet never seen him play!

Same as when players are injured for us and during their absence they become the best players we have!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

45 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Its unbelievable really mate, he came here for one season, big money did nothing to get the rep he's got. I would imagine half those blowing his trumpet never seen him play!

Same as when players are injured for us and during their absence they become the best players we have!

Free kick at West Brom when we lost 4-1, that’s what they’re remembering. 

Pack, Marvin Elliott, Shelts & Korey were all far superior.

Half the games I saw he was struggling to keep up after the hour mark.

Serious Dziekanowski vibes about this revisionism for me.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Those 4 sound about right. Chuck In Alex Scott and Josh Brownhill, and it’s slim pickings* after those. 

* Not the bloke from Blazing Saddles. 

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You on about Hartley?

Revisionism is a strange word to use in this context.

You think one free kick is what a view is based on?

Maybe some people see something in a player that is beyond what this club normally produces, and that is perhaps a cultural indication on why we are where we are.

Interesting reflection on our fanbase and what we are happy with to be honest, summed up by your mention of Dzieckanowski.

City loves a hard tackling trier mind dont we. 🙄

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

Those 4 sound about right. Chuck In Alex Scott and Josh Brownhill, and it’s slim pickings* after those. 

* Not the bloke from Blazing Saddles. 

Completely forgot Brownhill, spot on.

7 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

You on about Hartley?

Revisionism is a strange word to use in this context.

You think one free kick is what a view is based on?

Maybe some people see something in a player that is beyond what this club normally produces, and that is perhaps a cultural indication on why we are where we are.

Interesting reflection on our fanbase and what we are happy with to be honest, summed up by your mention of Dzieckanowski.

City loves a hard tackling trier mind dont we. 🙄

As has been said by others Hartley wasn’t “all that” for us.

One season where his legs looked to have gone by the end.

The Dziekanowski reference was for a player who had about half a dozen good games for us, hid when it got tough (like the 4-0 defeat at Twerton) yet mystifyingly is considered a “great”.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The Dziekanowski reference was for a player who had about half a dozen good games for us, hid when it got tough (like the 4-0 defeat at Twerton) yet mystifyingly is considered a “great”.

Spot on - Jacki scored 7 goals for City……….:cool2:

• Like 1

@Harry

Reflecting last night, I wonder whether had Nige got his way in September(ish) time and started contract talks with Joe Williams, he’d be sorted?  And quite possibly at a lower wage than we are now having to offer him, because he is a free-agent.  We’ve opened it up to the competition.  In September, it was just a City / Williams dynamic.

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

As has been said by others Hartley wasn’t “all that” for us.

One season where his legs looked to have gone by the end.

Not for the first time on here, I disagree with almost every word of your post(s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry

Reflecting last night, I wonder whether had Nige got his way in September(ish) time and started contract talks with Joe Williams, he’d be sorted?  And quite possibly at a lower wage than we are now having to offer him, because he is a free-agent.  We’ve opened it up to the competition.  In September, it was just a City / Williams dynamic.

Thoughts?

I personally think we've left it to late and I'm not sure he will sign I could be wrong. He's had his set backs in his time here and I'm wondering what ever city is offering wont be enough. I think your right we would of been in a better place to offer him a contract and it would of saved us a few pennies by doing that and it certainly would'nt of put him in the shop window like it has now. This year at least he proved his fitness and stayed fit which will benefit him looking for new contracts. Will he want a fresh challenge with another club? Watch this space I suppose.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Street red said:

I personally think we've left it to late and I'm not sure he will sign I could be wrong. He's had his set backs in his time here and I'm wondering what ever city is offering wont be enough. I think your right we would of been in a better place to offer him a contract and it would of saved us a few pennies by doing that and it certainly would'nt of put him in the shop window like it has now. This year at least he proved his fitness and stayed fit which will benefit him looking for new contracts. Will he want a fresh challenge with another club? Watch this space I suppose.

If he does go somewhere else, we are suddenly (over dramatic word, as I’m sure we are prepared) looking to recruit another midfielder, and what does that mean for the summer budget (and beyond).  Ok, we could get a free transfer, but we might have to spend.

I hope we know soon.

People here are comparing Hartley - a centre of the pitch midfielder - to defensive midfielders and roving attacking midfielders. That wasn't the question asked. It was who was the best CM at the club in the Championship. 

We didn't have a particularly great squad that season. Maynard was the top scorer with 10 league goals. Hartley stood out as one of the best technical players here: both in distribution but also as something of a "midfield intimidator". He was important to the team, scored 5 goals and we were all sad that he decided to return to Scotland at the end of the season.

Clearly someone who spent 40 games here cannot be a "club legend" and hasn't made as big an overall contribution to the club as many of the other names mentioned. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he does go somewhere else, we are suddenly (over dramatic word, as I’m sure we are prepared) looking to recruit another midfielder, and what does that mean for the summer budget (and beyond).  Ok, we could get a free transfer, but we might have to spend.

I hope we know soon.

It certainly throws a new scenario into play.

4 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not for the first time on here, I disagree with almost every word of your post(s).

Good job there’s a forum that exists for opposing views then, isn’t it?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, frenchred said:

But what he said was pretty factual!

Actually, it was 100 percent opinion. That's a fact. I don't have strong feelings either way on Hartley or Dziekanowski  to agree or disagree though.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2024 at 11:19, Shauntaylor85 said:

I never understood this Hartley thing. What was so good about him? 

Hartley was fantastic. Best understanding of the game we've had in midfield period imo.

His vision hasn't been matched before or since.

On 11/05/2024 at 11:13, Silvio Dante said:

Thats Jon Dolman, once of this parish. Believe he left because he didn’t really like people disagreeing with him.

He’s probably correct about James being towards the top end of wage earners - remember even though post Covid it was a free agent 3 year deal. Money saved in fee could be used in package. For the strengthening positions he’s probably also right (although GK will be a low cost back up) and I’d envisage the wages freed up by James/King/Weimann will be far below what we’ll need to pay to get the quality we need in those midfield and striker positions.

His comments on twitter the other day were completely precious. Behaving as if he's somehow being insulted personally.

Screenshot_20240513_093036_X2.thumb.jpg.e877173d295e00c7b493857edd93fc05.jpg

Edited by Fuber
  • Haha 12

OMG 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

We are such a bunch of <insert word> on this forum, that when he just upped and left OTIB a couple of us were quite concerned for his well-being at the time and tried to find who he was and make some contact with him, and check that he was ok.  Seems he’s forgotten that!!!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5

Only a bunch? 😂

I actually love he said 'I'm told I've been talked about on the forum again' pretending he's got people informing him for some reason. Clearly he looks on here from time to time without posting which is fine. Why act all dramatic about it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Hartley was fantastic. Best understanding of the game we've had in midfield period imo.

His comments on twitter the other day were completely precious. Behaving as if he's somehow being insulted personally.

I always chuckle at the ‘forum is so toxic / everyone is a ****’ type comments on Twitter.

Just a quick scroll through the profile of the poster, and it’s more often than not all filled with preaching about freedom of speech, and RTs of videos of how ‘unsafe’ London is now, and any other similar themes you can all guess correctly on….

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Not being on Twitter I’m guessing that Ian Gay wrote this………:dunno:

On 11/05/2024 at 23:38, TomThumb84 said:

Was going Championship.

Gow would eat my list up it it was all time.

Yes I was commenting on Gow’s performances in Div 2 which was equivalent to the Championship (i.e. the division below the top division)

On 12/05/2024 at 10:59, Davefevs said:

I hope we know soon.

Herbie Kane good option if he leaves city boy too - leaving Barnsley when contract expires constant performer in league 1. Just don’t know if he has the demands to be a midfield presser what LM wants 

22 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Herbie Kane good option if he leaves city boy too - leaving Barnsley when contract expires constant performer in league 1. Just don’t know if he has the demands to be a midfield presser what LM wants 

Someone brought him up yesterday in conversation.  Dunno if I’m off the mark, but I’ve always worried about his ability to get around the pitch, should he move up a level.

Gives me Liam Walsh vibes, gets bypassed because not quick enough.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

Re Janes, King and Weimann leaving and the club/ team losing all that experience.

Firstly it will need other players to step up.

Also, with players like James, King and Weimann in and around the team is it possible the some of the younger players don't feel they can stick their heads above the parapet in deference to the senior players?

Perhaps it might just be that a new batch of on field leaders will emerge once the deck's been cleared.

• Like 1