IGNORED

Thinking Of Joining The St But..

jellyred

I think you are bit confused. Its Supporters Club members who get access to the Dolman Bar for £5 per season not Trust members.

What financial benefit support is the Trust giving to the club? £5k's worth of shares recently pirchased that enabled the training facilities at Abbots Leigh to be improved.

And how was the 5k generated?

Who had the decision on how it would be spent?

Are you quite sure you're not confusing the Supporters Trust with the Supporters Club?

Maybe I am, but what was the difference? I am sure that this board was promoting us to pay the £5 at the beginning of the season to use the Dolman Hall.

Maybe someone could clarify it.

Are you a member ? If not, mind your own business.

No I am not.

But I am a "supporter"

And how was the 5k generated?

Who had the decision on how it would be spent?

Through membership fees and a variety of other events.

The Trust board had the final decision on how the money was spent. Hopefully all City fans are seeing the benefits as improved morale off the pitch should mean improved performances on the pitch and this does appear to be happening.

In answer to a further question you posed in another post, no one from the ST advised anyone to join or not join the Supporters Club. That is purely a matter for the individual.

Maybe I am, but what was the difference? I am sure that this board was promoting us to pay the £5 at the beginning of the season to use the Dolman Hall.

I felt hoodwinked out of a fiver for a service I already had too, but it's got #### all to do with the Supporters Trust.

The board? BCST board or OTIB?

Have you been drinking or are you just very tired tonight? You seem very angry.

Maybe someone could clarify it.

Easy to clarify, the Supporters Club run the exhibition hall, nothing at all to do with the Trust. People can post whatever they like on here within the rules so if paying the fiver was promoted on this board that would have been the choice of the member who was promoting it.

Through membership fees and a variety of other events.

The Trust board had the final decision on how the money was spent. Hopefully all City fans are seeing the benefits as improved morale off the pitch should mean improved performances on the pitch and this does appear to be happening.

In answer to a further question you posed in another post, no one from the ST advised anyone to join or not join the Supporters Club. That is purely a matter for the individual.

But surely apart of the 5k the ST raised was from fans not related to the ST. Or was it all raised by members?

I am not saying the ST and the 5k is not helping the club, but is it really for the fans? I am positive that most fans don't even know what the ST is let alone support it.

Easy to clarify, the Supporters Club run the exhibition hall, nothing at all to do with the Trust. People can post whatever they like on here within the rules so if paying the fiver was promoted on this board that would have been the choice of the member who was promoting it.

Agreed.

I misunderstood the ST with the SC. Maybe I have not read enough into it, I'm sure many other people thought the same?

But surely apart of the 5k the ST raised was from fans not related to the ST. Or was it all raised by members?

Why would people give the trust money to give to invest in the club if they're not members? :blink:

I've criticised the Trust for many things but I fail to see how the trust could have done a better job in terms of publicity and getting the word out. What with the "Legends" opening event, the monthly poker nights, the sporting dinner, the t-shirts, the stand at the open day and on match days, the posters, the frequent articles on their site, the matchday programme and in the local press... I could go on. There's no way most city fans don't know what the trust is, I can only assume you've been living on a different planet for the last year if you've missed it.

The supporter's club is the organisation making you pay a fiver for a service you got for free last season, not the trust, you're firing at the wrong target.

I am not saying the ST and the 5k is not helping the club, but is it really for the fans? I am positive that most fans don't even know the ST is let alone support it.

As I said earlier some of the money came from membership fees and the rest from other fundraising activities, For example we held several poker nights that attracted ST members and non members alike. Some people who took part were not even football fans and one event was even won by a gashead.

Why would people give the trust money to give to invest in the club if they're not members? :blink:

I've criticised the Trust for many things but I fail to see how the trust could have done a better job in terms of publicity and getting the word out. What with the "Legends" opening event, the monthly poker nights, the sporting dinner, the t-shirts, the stand at the open day and on match days, the posters, the frequent articles on their site, the matchday programme and in the local press... I could go on. There's no way most city fans don't know what the trust is, I can only assume you've been living on a different planet for the last year if you've missed it.

The supporter's club is the organisation making you pay a fiver for a service you got for free last season, not the trust, you're firing at the wrong target.

Yeah, but the 5k wasn't raised by just membership fees surely?

My point is that with all the money raised, whether its membership or fund raising, it doesn't speak for the supporters! It speaks for a very small minority.

Yeah, but the 5k wasn't raised by just membership fees surely?

My point is that with all the money raised, whether its membership or fund raising, it doesn't speak for the supporters! It speaks for a very small minority.

I think it speaks for the minorety who have paid for membership and therefore their voice, I think the ST is supposed to be a body and voice for supporters, I feel out of my depth commenting further so I'll leave it at that.

I will also add though, the similarety in names between the ST and the SC isn't helpful.

I think it speaks for the minorety who have paid for membership and therefore their voice, I think the ST is supposed to be a body and voice for supporters, I feel out of my depth commenting further so I'll leave it at that.

I'll also add, the similarety in names between the ST and the SC isn't helpful.

Exactly, I can speak for many other supporters who also find the similarity confusing.

Although I find the 5k helpful to the club's facilities, I also recognise that SL and the board of directors could have easily found that 5k. What difference has it really made?

I would rather have seen that money invested in the East End, or something "the supporters" really care about.

Exactly, I can speak for many other supporters who also find the similarity confusing.

Although I find the 5k helpful to the club's facilities, I also recognise that SL and the board of directors could have easily found that 5k. What difference has it really made?

I would rather have seen that money invested in the East End, or something "the supporters" really care about.

Well why don't you become involved in the Trust and make your feelings felt? Only £12 a year or something.

It is democratic and in need of a new Chairman :farmer:

As for me, I just want to enjoy my visit's to a rocking Ashton Gate, East End or not.

Well why don't you become involved in the Trust and make your feelings felt? Only £12 a year or something.

It is democratic and in need of a new Chairman :farmer:

As for me, I just want to enjoy my visit's to a rocking Ashton Gate, East End or not.

If they invited me, I would be more then happy to express my views to them in person.

£12 a year to express my opinion? Maybe if i knew it would make a difference,

If they invited me, I would be more then happy to express my views to them in person.

Then it shall be done (I strongly suspect).

It's been touched on in this thread already, apathy is the biggest enemy, I think it's a paticular characteristic of West-Country folk.

I myself am a master at sitting on my ass doing bugger all and believe me, typing crap into a computer in the early hours of a Thursday morning doesn't count for diddly-squot.

I think you have been invited earlier in the thread but i expect you prefer to just moan on here.

A forum that probably would not still exist without the Trust you seem to like to critisise.

Your invite is contained in posts 12 and 22 of this thread.

The open meetings welcomes members and non-members alike.

The next open meeting is Tuesday 14th November, then Tuesday 16th January and Thursday 22nd February.

It doesn't cost £12 to voice your opinion. Everyone has been given the opportunity to pose questions to Mr.Lansdown directly. Whether submitted via e-mail, letter or posted on the Trust forum you can pose questions, which will be put to the man himself. You may even be invited to put your question(s) personally and give your opinion directly to SL on his responses and the issue raised. The only part of this that venture that costs money is using the telephone message service.

I highlighted something that the Trust has done for ALL fans, as this was only available to those who used this forum, until the constant abuse forced it's withdraw.

Take a look on the St website the link is at the top of the page. There is a list of meetings on there. Pop down to the Ship and Castle thats where meetings take place and you can "Voice" your opinions and hear what its all about. Then you can make decisions on whether to join the trust or at least understand what its all about. :)

Thank you for your replies, cityduke14 and Swindlered,

It has answered a few questions and i must say that a board vote of 1/6 or 1/7 is very poor, but i guess that is something you need to sort out of the next election, as it seems that the majority of your members can't be bothered and if they can't how can you expext to gain new members.

i'll certainly come along to the board meeting in January, as i can then get an insight into how you are run.

I'm certainly not against the ST, its just certain things that members say that stop me from joining:-

Whilst realising that it is impossible to please all of the people, all of the time, we do aim to represent ALL fans worldwide and therefore the answer to your question is, in excess of 30,000

Cityduke14, this is the thing that annoys me. You say your speak for all of the fans, HOW can you, you've only got 300-400 members (apologies if i have this figure wrong, but i'm sure that is the figure quoted in another thread) so you stand for 1-2% of the fan base. you certainly don't represent me and i believe this to be the case of 99% of the other city fans.

- i think this is the one major grudge people have against the ST.

It has answered a few questions and i must say that a board vote of 1/6 or 1/7 is very poor, but i guess that is something you need to sort out of the next election, as it seems that the majority of your members can't be bothered and if they can't how can you expext to gain new members.

i'll certainly come along to the board meeting in January, as i can then get an insight into how you are run.

I'm certainly not against the ST, its just certain things that members say that stop me from joining:-

Cityduke14, this is the thing that annoys me. You say your speak for all of the fans, HOW can you, you've only got 300-400 members (apologies if i have this figure wrong, but i'm sure that is the figure quoted in another thread) so you stand for 1-2% of the fan base. you certainly don't represent me and i believe this to be the case of 99% of the other city fans.

I think this "one major grudge" is more a sign of how silly most people can be. The ST said they aim to represent you, and then give you several routes to be represented. If people ignore that the Trust can't be to blame. If people are apathetic, when they have a chance to be represented, it's their problem.

You're saying you understand what 99% of city fans think, and I don't remember you holding any elections, feedback forums, open meetings or launch nights.

Come on, show me a properly-organised & effectively dispersed opinion poll of even 4 people that you've carried out and analysed.

(Sarcastically putting one up now wouldn't count, of course, as it would be responsive rather than precursory to criticism of your criticism).

The next open meeting is Tuesday 14th November, then Tuesday 16th January and Thursday 22nd February.

It doesn't cost £12 to voice your opinion. Everyone has been given the opportunity to pose questions to Mr.Lansdown directly. Whether submitted via e-mail, letter or posted on the Trust forum you can pose questions, which will be put to the man himself. You may even be invited to put your question(s) personally and give your opinion directly to SL on his responses and the issue raised. The only part of this that venture that costs money is using the telephone message service.

I highlighted something that the Trust has done for ALL fans, as this was only available to those who used this forum, until the constant abuse forced it's withdraw.

So, to clarify:

You are holding well advertised Open Meetings where anyone is welcome to attend and give their opinions free of charge.

Courtesy of the ST, members and non-members alike can put questions directly to the chairman free of charge.

It is the Supporter's Club not the ST who are charging £5 to use the Dolman Hall.

I agree with Collis, this is shameful. :grr:

I think you have already seen the reply, both in my previous post and within Baird's response above.

Tompo, as fans represenative, and others have spent an awful lot of hours ensuring that all fans can not only put the views and questions directly to the BCFC board, but also have the opportunity to put them forward in person. Similar events to the recent Q&A held with the BCFC board have been arranged at "away" venue, giving the opportunity for some of our exiled friends, unable to attend Ashton Gate events, to attend.

You do not have to be a Trust member to pose questions or attend these events.

We have also stated that future surveys will be opened up to a greater number of supporters.

You have had and continue to have the opportunity to come to the Trust with questions, whether for the Trust or club to answer. We would be foolish to think that we could represent all on every occasion and have not stated that we represent you personally, but if you were to read some of the minutes of meetings, I feel sure you would find something that would be your stance if asked the question directly.

The minutes are free for anyone to view here http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/meetings/

So, to clarify:

You are holding well advertised Open Meetings where anyone is welcome to attend and give their opinions free of charge.

Courtesy of the ST, members and non-members alike can put questions directly to the chairman free of charge.

It is the Supporter's Club not the ST who are charging £5 to use the Dolman Hall.

I agree with Collis, this is shameful. :grr:

The first two sentences are true and correct.

As for the supporters club, myself, nor any of the Trust board are members of the supporters club (other than those who have also paid their fiver) and are not in a position to comment on this.

I think this "one major grudge" is more a sign of how silly most people can be. The ST said they aim to represent you, and then give you several routes to be represented. If people ignore that the Trust can't be to blame. If people are apathetic, when they have a chance to be represented, it's their problem.

You're saying you understand what 99% of city fans think, and I don't remember you holding any elections, feedback forums, open meetings or launch nights.

Come on, show me a properly-organised & effectively dispersed opinion poll of even 4 people that you've carried out and analysed.

(Sarcastically putting one up now wouldn't count, of course, as it would be responsive rather than precursory to criticism of your criticism).

For one i have never wanted to be represented, i have no interest in being represented at the present time, my views may change when i go to one of your meetings.

i think you'll find i said i believe, hence it is my opinion. i certainly don't understand 99% of city fans and never aim too.

My argument is that the ST only represent 1-2% of the fans as of present. they may aim to represent 100% but currently they do not, so to say they speak for the fans is just plain and simply not true at present.

as for the your comment in brackets, could you explain that in laymans terms, - to many big words this morning after a night on the ciders. Cheers.

Posted the above without reading the comments from Tompo, but you certainly put accross a very good argument for what your doing, but i'll reserve comment for now. i'll carry on with my research as i'm very interested in this, so hopefully we can carry on this debate at your meeting in January in person.

Do you mean that "ask SL" was being abused? I don't see how it was by the fans, maybe it was by SL.

Ask SL was a great way for fans to ask the Chairman anything they wanted. Most questions were either ignored ( not just repeated ones) or were given, in my opinion, rather offish replys.

Quite often, I was shocked by the replies SL was giving, and the whole thing slowly became a SL v the fans forum.

It seems to me that when Ask SL was removed, criticism and anti-board feelings rose, and are increasing.

Am I the only one who saw it like this? :unsure:

Do you mean that "ask SL" was being abused? I don't see how it was by the fans, maybe it was by SL.

Ask SL was a great way for fans to ask the Chairman anything they wanted. Most questions were either ignored ( not just repeated ones) or were given, in my opinion, rather offish replys.

Quite often, I was shocked by the replies SL was giving, and the whole thing slowly became a SL v the fans forum.

It seems to me that when Ask SL was removed, criticism and anti-board feelings rose, and are increasing.

Am I the only one who saw it like this? :unsure:

Dunno if you're the only one but I certainly didn't.

It was a pity to lose the Ask SteveL forum but it was massively abused IMO.

More than half of the posts weren't even questions they were just rants, some of which were personally abusive. Of the posts that were questions most of those had already been asked multiple times and answered. Of the questions left quite a few of those were just plain stupid "Why don't you sign <insert random player>?", "Will you sack Tinnion?", "Why was my tea cold?". People weren't using it to ask the chairman questions they were using it to give feedback and/or grief and whilst feedback is useful it was not the purpose of the forum - this was explained many times but people still complained when mods merged threads, they complained when someone more appropriate than SteveL answered their question and they complained when their question couldn't be answered even for obvious reasons.

Genuine, new questions were few and far between and IMO they were answered (in the main) with as much detail as possible within the bounds of confidentiality. If it had been used sensibly I doubt it would have been canned or that otib would have been palmed off on the ST.

As for anti-board feelings, there's definitely an undercurrent of disillusionment with the club but I don't think it's down to the Ask SteveL forum closing in any way. I think it's down to 8 years in this poxy division in the main, heightened by our awful performances under Tinnion, and then compounded by the modern plastic all seater no swearing no smoking football culture that many find it harder to connect with.

Archived