IGNORED

The Brooker Dilema

Bristol Boy

Do we risk him from the start, build up a lead, then rest him or do we keep him as back up from the bench?

If we go for option 2, what happens if one of our strikers is injured after 10 minutes and he's the only striker on the bench?

I would imagine Steve will be glad when 2006 is over because, although it started with a high spot-signing a new improved contract, there have been lows with two injuries, loss of form before that and, just to put the top hat on it, incarceration.

Steve is one of our most important players and, in fairness, we've done well without both he and ES.

He's played only 8 games this season and scored just one goal.

It's most noticeable away where, going into Saturdays game, our record is slightly better than a point a game, however, with Jevons not prolific, particularly when you remove the pens, in the League and ES not scoring away from AG, our record is P11 F11 A11.

With the next five games all winnable, if not, must wins, we need him fit & firing.

Touch wood, GJ will be able to make a couple of early signings in the window, meaning SB will have adequate time to recover properly, however there must surely come a time when only games will get him fit. :dunno:

Over to you :city::city:

Since coming back and getting games under his belt Showumni is doing the buisness in my view.I wouldn't put much significance in him not scoring away from AG yet.

No need to rush Brooker back if he's not 100%.Johnson can continue to do what Millen did on Saturday and bring Brooker on as sub if need be.As for games Brooker could always turn out for the reserves as Brown did after a lengthy lay off.

i'd keep faith with those who have been starting recently.

they are all playing pretty well (although jevons needs to start producing in the league) so i don't think we'll be to adversely affected without brooker at this point. plus with there being alot of games in quick sucession (league and cup) it woud be foolish to push his fitness, especially as it seems he is not 100% after another injury worry.

play him from the bench for millwall, cause if nothing else it will be nice to have a proven offensive option to bring on, rather than a youngster like JMW if the game isn't going our way late on.

plus he needs to displace those infront of him which should push him into proving himself when he does get the chance.

Since coming back and getting games under his belt Showumni is doing the buisness in my view.I wouldn't put much significance in him not scoring away from AG yet.

No need to rush Brooker back if he's not 100%.Johnson can continue to do what Millen did on Saturday and bring Brooker on as sub if need be.As for games Brooker could always turn out for the reserves as Brown did after a lengthy lay off.

GJ made a point of saying that Reseve Games were a further dilema as far as SB was concerned.On the basis of risk

Do we risk him from the start, build up a lead, then rest him or do we keep him as back up from the bench?

If we go for option 2, what happens if one of our strikers is injured after 10 minutes and he's the only striker on the bench?

I would imagine Steve will be glad when 2006 is over because, although it started with a high spot-signing a new improved contract, there have been lows with two injuries, loss of form before that and, just to put the top hat on it, incarceration.

Steve is one of our most important players and, in fairness, we've done well without both he and ES.

He's played only 8 games this season and scored just one goal.

It's most noticeable away where, going into Saturdays game, our record is slightly better than a point a game, however, with Jevons not prolific, particularly when you remove the pens, in the League and ES not scoring away from AG, our record is P11 F11 A11.

With the next five games all winnable, if not, must wins, we need him fit & firing.

Touch wood, GJ will be able to make a couple of early signings in the window, meaning SB will have adequate time to recover properly, however there must surely come a time when only games will get him fit. :dunno:

Over to you :city::city:

Enter the arena "Sarah B".........

GJ made a point of saying that Reseve Games were a further dilema as far as SB was concerned.On the basis of risk

I don't really get that - at the end of the day Brooker has been out for sometime and if he's fit again but lacking sharpness he should be able to play a couple of reserve games.If he's not fit then he shouldn't play at all.

Where the risk? :dunno:

As I already said Showunmi has been producing and looks better every game so no need to rush Brooker back.

Actually, Sarah and I probably agree :unsure::sun: that SB is a key player and should start........trouble is, he hasn't and, from what GJ said, he ain't going to soon. :(

This goes on any longer and we'll need another striker.......ay, Sarah? :rolleyes:only as cover mind, I wouldn't dream of playing him in preference to Steve, honest ;)

I don't really get that - at the end of the day Brooker has been out for sometime and if he's fit again but lacking sharpness he should be able to play a couple of reserve games.If he's not fit then he shouldn't play at all.

Where the risk? :dunno:

As I already said Showunmi has been producing and looks better every game so no need to rush Brooker back.

Thigh Injury, I'm afraid :(

Brooker seems to have been carrying one niggling injury or another pretty much permanently, and he's continually been rushed back because of his importance to the team.

I think we should leave him out totally until all his injuries have completely cleared up and then give him a reserve game or two to get match sharp before putting him on the bench and letting him earn his place back.

Yes, we might not be as effective for a few games, but in the long run we'll probably get more games out of him if we let him recover properly.

Brooker seems to have been carrying one niggling injury or another pretty much permanently, and he's continually been rushed back because of his importance to the team.

I think we should leave him out totally until all his injuries have completely cleared up and then give him a reserve game or two to get match sharp before putting him on the bench and letting him earn his place back.

Yes, we might not be as effective for a few games, but in the long run we'll probably get more games out of him if we let him recover properly.

Spot on - but I would add that City have doing pretty well without him.I'd rather have a fit Brooker firing on all cylinders in the NY than risk him now and he ends up being out even longer.

Or is someone sniffing around in the Jan sales..... :whistle2:

Right i have just been reading the various comments on this thread. When Steve Brooker came on on against Rotherham and Carlisle he changed the games he lifted the other players ran his socks off and the way he was holding that ball up was second to none. Why the hell shouldn't he start on Saturday? All this lets save him is riddiculous the man wants to and is fit to play as has been proved twice in a week.

Who ever said play him in the reserves needs to get serious all that would acheive is prob him picking up an unecessary injury. Start him against Millwall. Lets start with the same team that finished on Saturday as it was working!!!

Right i have just been reading the various comments on this thread. When Steve Brooker came on on against Rotherham and Carlisle he changed the games he lifted the other players ran his socks off and the way he was holding that ball up was second to none.

Sarah, He did OK in both games.No more than that.He had an assist in Showumni's goal against Carlisle and I'll admit that was a bright point in a dull night, I'll grant you, but to say he changed the games is going a bit far.

Why the hell shouldn't he start on Saturday?

According to GJ, he's injured which is a pretty good reason I think you'll agree

All this lets save him is riddiculous the man wants to and is fit to play as has been proved twice in a week.

No he hasn't.He has played for about 25 minutes in each game.It's the manager that see's him every day that's saying he's not fit,certainly not fit enough for ninety minutes.Unless you can think of something different, we either start him then take him off or use him as a tactical sub as we have in the last two games

Who ever said play him in the reserves needs to get serious all that would acheive is prob him picking up an unecessary injury.

Or it could ensure he's fit to play 90 minutes and that he's physically fit.That's the risk element.As somepeople have said what if he starts, aggravates the injury and then he's out for another six weeks.He's played eight games this season out of twenty five

Start him against Millwall. Lets start with the same team that finished on Saturday as it was working!!!

It was working quite well.However, it didn't have to play ninety minutes

Or is someone sniffing around in the Jan sales..... :whistle2:

I'd be 90% certain that isn't so.

Of course if we get an acceptable/unrefusable offer, ala Cotterill, he'll be gone like a shot.

However, I don't think we will based on his fitness & form this season and the fact that he's not done it at a higher level.

I know Billy Sharp hasn't either, but he's not been injured or unavailable for 65% of the season........and he's not injured now.Neither was he out of form for 8O% of the games he played, failing to score in 90% of them.

Not knocking the kid, just plain facts and that'll mean that we hold onto him........for now!

Despite what most people have said about Jevons, wed be nowhere without him!

In fairness, at least he's been fit and available however, he really needs to get his scoring record going IN THE LEAGUE.

Because, if you just look at the League and take out the pens, he would tell you himself he hasn't scored enough goals.Neither has Brooker 1:8 or JMW 1:13, in fairness and ES, who has a sgreat goals if not appearance record at home, hasn't scored away whiich, whilst not the end of the World, has meant us dropping points away from AG.

It's true that we need either ES or SB, preferably, both!!

i actually can't wait to see both these two playing together uptop.

considering how well Brooker responds to having a 'big man' partnering him in attack, imagine what he'll be like next to one who can score a few himself, rather than someone simply acting as a foil for Steve's play (Mst. Basir Savage Esquire pops to mind!)

and another thought is how good it would be to have both those big lads upfront supplied by real, touchline hugging, byline cross delivering WINGERS!

I'm writing to santa as we speak :pray::xmas:

Brooker seems to have been carrying one niggling injury or another pretty much permanently,

Agreed

and he's continually been rushed back because of his importance to the team.

8 games in 25 doesn't sound like he's been rushed anywhere.

GJ's reason for not doing that, is the risk of further injury-I don't pretend to have the answe but it is a dilema

All common sense but if he goes on like he is, he'll miss about 65% of the season and with only one player as cover, that could see us miss out even on the play offs so GJ has some major decisions to make.......and soon.

considering how well Brooker responds to having a 'big man' partnering him in attack, imagine what he'll be like next to one who can score a few himself, rather than someone simply acting as a foil for Steve's play (Mst. Basir Savage Esquire pops to mind!)

and another thought is how good it would be to have both those big lads upfront supplied by real, touchline hugging, byline cross delivering WINGERS!

Agreed and put my name on the begging letter as well.

Although we have done well, we are lightweight up front without him.

We certainly are yes. We miss his prescence and the way he holds that ball up as was proved twice in a week with his sub appearances.

I prefer Brooks uptop with Jevo with Enoch outwide this seems to work. I don't think having two big target men upfront together will work.

I'd be 90% certain that isn't so.

Of course if we get an acceptable/unrefusable offer, ala Cotterill, he'll be gone like a shot.

However, I don't think we will based on his fitness & form this season and the fact that he's not done it at a higher level.

I know Billy Sharp hasn't either, but he's not been injured or unavailable for 65% of the season........and he's not injured now.Neither was he out of form for 8O% of the games he played, failing to score in 90% of them.

Not knocking the kid, just plain facts and that'll mean that we hold onto him........for now!

The kid ha ha. He is is a 25 year old grown man!!

I think he will stay at least till the end of the season and as long as we get promotion i think we will hold onto him for next season and hopefully beyond.

8 games in 25 doesn't sound like he's been rushed anywhere.

Depends how you interpret that. Another way of looking at it is that he's played every game he's been fit and available for (granted not many) and some where he's been carrying knocks. I think playing him while he's carrying knocks has exacerbated his injuries.

GJ's reason for not doing that, is the risk of further injury-I don't pretend to have the answe but it is a dilema

Sounds like a vicious circle... risk him in the first team before he's recovered, get him more injured, don't want to risk him in the reserves, repeat ad infinitum. If he's recovered, then I can't see that there's any additional risk in playing him in the reserves for sharpness - if he's not recovered then playing him in a reserve game for sharpness or in the first team shouldn't even enter Johnson's head until he is. If it was game 46 and we needed 3 points for automatic I could understand it, but we're not in a situation where the season rests on one game.

All common sense but if he goes on like he is, he'll miss about 65% of the season and with only one player as cover, that could see us miss out even on the play offs so GJ has some major decisions to make.......and soon.

Yeah but I think he's more likely to carry on like he is if we keep playing him when he's not fully recovered. We've tried that and seen the results - more injuries. If we get him fully recovered before shoving him back in the first team we should get more games out of him. Though we're short on cover, right now the situation isn't dire with Jevons and Showunmi both 100% and JMW on the bench.

I prefer Brooks uptop with Jevo with Enoch outwide this seems to work. I don't think having two big target men upfront together will work.

Enoch has played well when put out on the flanks, but it is clearly not his natural position. We need a natural wide player for that flank, but that is another issue.

Brooker has previously looked a much better player when paired with another taller forward, and if you look at both him and Enoch you can imagine the trobule they would cause defences at this level. They are different enough to work together and with both their high workrates I feel they would generate more oppitunities for the rest of the team.

Although I rate Jevons highly I agree with the view that he must perform more consistantly in the league before he can be considered a safe starter. I hope Brooker's return to fitness pushes Jevons to play better, but ultimatly I believe Enoch and Brooker would provide the most effective front partnership for us at this time.

Now if we added Grant Holt to the mix then it would get very interesting... :whistle2:

Enoch has played well when put out on the flanks, but it is clearly not his natural position. We need a natural wide player for that flank, but that is another issue.

Brooker has previously looked a much better player when paired with another taller forward, and if you look at both him and Enoch you can imagine the trobule they would cause defences at this level. They are different enough to work together and with both their high workrates I feel they would generate more oppitunities for the rest of the team.

Although I rate Jevons highly I agree with the view that he must perform more consistantly in the league before he can be considered a safe starter. I hope Brooker's return to fitness pushes Jevons to play better, but ultimatly I believe Enoch and Brooker would provide the most effective front partnership for us at this time.

Now if we added Grant Holt to the mix then it would get very interesting... :whistle2:

Brooks's return to full fitness will I'm sure help Jevons out there. i prefer Enoch outwide to upfront to be honest. How it was on Saturday when Brooks came on was working and this is what i feel we should start with on Saturday.

You don't think it will work like:

Brooker/Savage

Brooker/McGammon

Brooker/Matthews

All worked.

Spoke to Steve after the Colchester game last season and he doesn't mins if it's a big guy or a little guy he plays next to.

Enoch out wide is OK providing you're on the attack.When you're not the big man is, I'm afraid, a liability on occassions.Still, if we can get SB fit we could give it another try.

You don't think it will work like:

Brooker/Savage

Brooker/McGammon

Brooker/Matthews

All worked.

Spoke to Steve after the Colchester game last season and he doesn't mins if it's a big guy or a little guy he plays next to.

Enoch out wide is OK providing you're on the attack.When you're not the big man is, I'm afraid, a liability on occassions.Still, if we can get SB fit we could give it another try.

Brooker/McGammon to be fair seemed to work fairly well. Savage was a liability to the team!!

I still think we should give what we finished with on Sat a go from the start against Millwall. What Brooks needs is games he won't get his full match sharpness back by sitting on the bench. He is needed out there as he proved twice last week when he came on as Sub. He is fighting fit and wants to play so i think he should start on Saturday.

Archived