IGNORED

Fastest Builders In The West...

Olé

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...025173,00.html:

Work is planned to start on a replacement for the Wedlock Stand immediately following the end of the forthcoming campaign.

It is hoped the huge new 5,300-seater stand will be ready in time for the start of the 2008/09 season, increasing the stadium's football capacity to approximately 21,000.

Group chief executive Colin Sexstone told bcfc.co.uk: "Starting work on the new stand - which we conditionally hope to do in May 2008 - is extremely exciting news for us.

So they're building a new 5,300 seater stand, commencing at the end of next season (May 2008) which will be ready in time for the 2008/09 season (July 2008). Demolishing the East End and building a 5,300 seater stand in two months!? Phenomenal... who are these builders, I think we should be told! :unsure:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...025173,00.html:

So they're building a new 5,300 seater stand, commencing at the end of next season (May 2008) which will be ready in time for the 2008/09 season (July 2008). Demolishing the East End and building a 5,300 seater stand in two months!? Phenomenal... who are these builders, I think we should be told! :unsure:

not british, greek or south african that's for sure. Tey could work on it 24 hours a day though. That would get it built in time surely?

In fairness, it would take about a day to knock the current stand down. Maybe they plan on doing a lot of the remedial before the season's over?

i cant believe they are going to replace it with one almost the same capacity ,,it makes no sense at all :noexpression:

not really because it is going to be increasing the capacity by around 1500 + corporate areas on top,

the east end can't be fully opened at the moment due to police restrictions,

A day to knock that stand down?

You looking for a job....youve impressed me..... :whistle2:

Just set fire to the stuff underneath the concrete and it'll probably create a suitable demolition :innocent06:

not really because it is going to be increasing the capacity by around 1500 + corporate areas on top,

Plus all the segregation on the edge of the Williams etc. I'm guessing once finished it'll be returned to the home fans and the atyeo split 50/50 home and away?

Marvellous... scheduled completion date now no longer the 2008/09 season, not even mentioned. That didn't take long! New quote from the builders I think! :)

Seriously though, I do hope that was just a bit of editorial license and not an un-detected flaw in the re-development plan!

Plus all the segregation on the edge of the Williams etc. I'm guessing once finished it'll be returned to the home fans and the atyeo split 50/50 home and away?

it's going to be interesting where they actually put the away fans, because the entrance/exits are all rather close to City ends down that end of the stand,

PLUS............good luck with the players and thier cars with away fans walking past each week!

i understand what youre saying,,but capacity for who? if we give the away fans the ateo which is probably whats going to happen,,then all we are actually doing is increasing the capacity for more away support,unless there going to use segregation in the new east end which would defeat the purpose of building the thing,,,being in the championship will surely increase our fanbase and if we manage to stay there until next season it will be increased again,don't get me wrong i would rather see a capacity crowd of 21000 rather than a half empty east end,,but bim sure that building this new 5.300 seater is going to leave some fans out in the cold for bigger games just like this season?

i cant believe they are going to replace it with one almost the same capacity ,,it makes no sense at all :noexpression:

Congratulations, the fastest negative post on the new stand..

Perhaps it will only have 1500 more seats, but perhaps it will have about 5000 more where you can actually see what's going on on the pitch...it's about improving facilities not just improving the numbers..be happy!

It's not just about matchday capacity, though that would go up by a reasonable enough amount.

The most important thing a new stand would give us (if they're sticking to the same plan) is excellent conferencing facilities that can make the club money from Monday to Friday.

Increasing our revenue like that is essential if we hope to compete with the better sides in the Championship, some of whom right now generate 3 times as much money as us every season without parachute payments.

Having read some of the responses to this news i think a few people are missing the point.

This isn`t a move to expand AG. It`s an improvement and any increase in capacity is a side issue. As a newly promoted club we have an opportunity to establish ourselves where, in all truth, we should be. That doesn`t equate to spending millions on an all singing and dancing 10,000 +, multi-tiered super stand.

Once again i will applaud SL/CS for, in my opinion, getting the decision making spot on. We`ll have no reduced capacity for the forthcoming season which IMO was crucial.

The new stand, whether it will be completed in time for the start of 2008/2009 remains to be seen, will provide an improved envoironment for watching football and will no doubt improve on the hospitality side of the business and that means more income to the club.

SL is a very shrewd businessman whose found success in the financial markets. Anyone who has any doubts about his plans for the long term future of this club should think again.

Softly softly is the approach.

PDG

Perhaps it will only have 1500 more seats, but perhaps it will have about 5000 more where you can actually see what's going on on the pitch...it's about improving facilities not just improving the numbers..be happy!

He's not the only one to question the logic of replacing a stand with a new stand of the same capacity.

Not so long ago Ashton Gate had a capacity of 38,000, and regularly attracted crowds of over 30,000 in the (old money) first division.

If Bristol City are to become the "Man United of the West Country" (SteveL's words) a significantly increased stadium capacity is essential.

If there are plans and/or the capability to increase the stand's capacity in the future, by adding a tier for example, then fair enough, but that hasn't been said, and so far as I am aware there is only planning permission for the proposed stand.

ok ok :surrender: its just that it would make more sense to make it larger now ,than redoo it all in a few years ,unless they are building it so that they can easily add to it in the future should we ever end up needing another 5000 seating

If Bristol City are to become the "Man United of the West Country" (SteveL's words) a significantly increased stadium capacity is essential.

but only IF and when we need it. its pointles building a flash new 35,000-40,000 all seater new stadium if we are only going to half fill it in the mid table region of the championship. Look at Fulham. All they did was change their terracing to seating and add a couple of thousand to their capacity. There's is now about 22,000.

ok ok :surrender: its just that it would make more sense to make it larger now ,than redoo it all in a few years ,unless they are building it so that they can easily add to it in the future should we ever end up needing another 5000 seating

The number of grounds around the country that can fit 10,000 fans behind one goal can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Increasing the capacity to something like 8,000 would mean spending much, much more money, and revisiting the planning process completely.

It isn't going to happen, and people need to be a little more realistic.

After the East End is done, the next step will be the Williams.

Archived