IGNORED

Johnson Out!

Alex_BCFC

I don't like the idea of a player being dropped after one poor game. I always listen to away games through the opponents' commentary and Lee Johnson is always up there with Carey and Fontaine (although behind Marvin) in terms of praise. Against Southampton his passes in the first half were superb.

I think Johnson has been very good this season, and while there's room for improvement in his game, at present I wouldn't take him out of the team.

I don't like the idea of a player being dropped after one poor game. I always listen to away games through the opponents' commentary and Lee Johnson is always up there with Carey and Fontaine (although behind Marvin) in terms of praise. Against Southampton his passes in the first half were superb.

I think Johnson has been very good this season, and while there's room for improvement in his game, at present I wouldn't take him out of the team.

Fair Shout

I disagree in that Johnson has had two poor games in a row now and you can bet your life that the OTHER PLAYERS in the squad who have been dropped at various points this season know it as well. I agree that he has also had good games (particularly with Noble playing in a 4-5-1) but I have also seen, too often, games where he has got away with making poor, over complicated and unecessary passes all afternoon and, far too often, his bottling out of tackles (on the edge of our own box too) leading to either goals or desperate defending by others in the team. You cannot DEMAND that Louis Carey goes in and breaks his nose for the team when the bloke stood in front of him hangs his leg in a tackle like a rag doll. If I was Carey, Orr, Fontaine and Elliott I would be fuming watching some of Johnson's attempts at tackling. He doesn't have to win the ball - all I would like to see is a solid challenge that at least puts the other bloke off or makes the ball ricochet rather than land right in their tacklers path to get in a dangerous pass.

What the likes of Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan need to realise is that people who travel four hours to Ipswich and see the dross that was served up by us (not a criticism of the team as a whole - we just had a bad 'un yesterday) have the right to come on here and have a little moan. And if they saw Johnson give the ball away twenty odd times (which was more than backed up by the radio commentary) then he is going to get it, managers son or not. At Championship level you simply cannot afford to play like that because the extra quality these teams have means you will get hurt - such as being able to break quickly from the Left Back spot when the other team is chasing the game and over-comitted and their playmaker has back-heeled the ball to you!!

For Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan to accuse supporters who have given up plenty of time and money of picking on the managers son, which is basically saying that these diehard supporters have a weakness in their character, when they themselves have only seen a ten minute highlights package, is totally out of order.

I disagree in that Johnson has had two poor games in a row now and you can bet your life that the OTHER PLAYERS in the squad who have been dropped at various points this season know it as well. I agree that he has also had good games (particularly with Noble playing in a 4-5-1) but I have also seen, too often, games where he has got away with making poor, over complicated and unecessary passes all afternoon and, far too often, his bottling out of tackles (on the edge of our own box too) leading to either goals or desperate defending by others in the team. You cannot DEMAND that Louis Carey goes in and breaks his nose for the team when the bloke stood in front of him hangs his leg in a tackle like a rag doll. If I was Carey, Orr, Fontaine and Elliott I would be fuming watching some of Johnson's attempts at tackling. He doesn't have to win the ball - all I would like to see is a solid challenge that at least puts the other bloke off or makes the ball ricochet rather than land right in their tacklers path to get in a dangerous pass.

What the likes of Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan need to realise is that people who travel four hours to Ipswich and see the dross that was served up by us (not a criticism of the team as a whole - we just had a bad 'un yesterday) have the right to come on here and have a little moan. And if they saw Johnson give the ball away twenty odd times (which was more than backed up by the radio commentary) then he is going to get it, managers son or not. At Championship level you simply cannot afford to play like that because the extra quality these teams have means you will get hurt - such as being able to break quickly from the Left Back spot when the other team is chasing the game and over-comitted and their playmaker has back-heeled the ball to you!!

For Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan to accuse supporters who have given up plenty of time and money of picking on the managers son, which is basically saying that these diehard supporters have a weakness in their character, when they themselves have only seen a ten minute highlights package, is totally out of order.

Did you actually make the trip yourself?

Or are you passing your judgement on the basis of a radio commentary and then knocking Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan for passing their judgement on a ten minute highlights package?

As someone who did make the long trip to Ipswich, I agree with andyg who asked why it is Lee Johnson who appears to be receiving the most criticism.

Virtually everyone gave the ball away on Saturday. Johnson was no better or no worse.

We've had several posts in this thread blaming LJ for at least two of the goals.

Where is the similar levels of criticism for McAllister, who as a defender, put in no challenge for the first, didn't get off the ground for the second, watched from two yards away whilst the fifth was passed into the net, and was outpaced for the sixth.

I spent over three grand travelling to watch City play last season Buddy, I have a right to comment on the way Johnson is treated on here. As you will see on this thread, others are pissed off at the attacks that Johnson gets on here, and they travel just as far as you! :disapointed2se: It seems funny how its just me and Belfast Robin get the flack, just because we live in Belfast.

Change the record you I love you :fingerscrossed:

Did you actually make the trip yourself?

Or are you passing your judgement on the basis of a radio commentary and then knocking Belfast Robin and Belfast City Fan for passing their judgement on a ten minute highlights package?

As someone who did make the long trip to Ipswich, I agree with andyg who asked why it is Lee Johnson who appears to be receiving the most criticism.

Virtually everyone gave the ball away on Saturday. Johnson was no better or no worse.

We've had several posts in this thread blaming LJ for at least two of the goals.

Where is the similar levels of criticism for McAllister, who as a defender, put in no challenge for the first, didn't get off the ground for the second, watched from two yards away whilst the fifth was passed into the net, and was outpaced for the sixth.

I agree with quite a lot of this post.

I've not seen many live games this season, but made the trip for this one and thought LJ was actually one of a couple of players for us who didn't look totally out of his depth!

Elliot was shocking, next to useless imho, and all this talk about Johnson costing us two goals should take into account the fact Elliot was strolling casually back, not chasing his man or putting pressure on, for certainly the first two goals and also one of the later Ipswich strikes. It is totally unfair to relieve Elliot of responsibility whilst pilling it on to LJ, as they both are meant to be protecting the backline, not just LJ. But, in all honestly, I think it is totally wrong to single out individuals after such a collectively dire performance.

No one covered themselves with glory on Saturday (except the travelling support, one word; SENSATIONAL, made me proud to be a City boy) but to try and say LJ is the core of the problem seems insane to me. Everything which could go wrong did go wrong, and it seemed like all the 11 players representing City had all called in an 'off-day' all at once. Ipswich were utterly ruthless (without looking the best CCC team I’ve seen) and took full advantage, but I'm interested to see how they fair in the games between now and when we play them again next month, because I think they might have peaked in thrashing us. Hopefully it'll make them underestimate us at home.

To be honest, after witnessing such an awful and embarrassing performance I really have not got the energy to fully comprehend or take in what happened, certainly not to argue about it. I think I spent the next 24hours in a state of genuine shock. My only hope is that people don't get the knives out too soon for anyone player, because it truly was a core failure of more-or-less the whole side. GJ is half right in what he aid after the game; we had a bad day at the office, but rather than redecorate I'd suggest we find a whole new building before we get back to work!

But just to say on the LJ issue; there were more than a few points during the match where he made good, clever passes (both attacking and possession retaining) and his team mates (often after asking for said pass to be laid on) failed to get on the end of them or lost possession soon after they had received the ball. Certain members of the crowd would then spend a couple of minutes turning the air blue about how LJ was the problem. When Marvin Elliot or David Noble surrendered possession cheaply or were too slow (of body and/or mind) to make obvious, possession retaining or attacking passes (often to LJ who made a lot of the running and angles for passes) nothing was said. This was wholly unfair, and the young 'gent' (I use the term very loosely) who booed us off at half time then booed LJs every touch in the second half (good or bad) should be ashamed of himself.

**EDIT NOTE** when sying I support this post I didn't mean the stuff directed at fellow fans, just the stuff about the match. Cheers.

Thank goodness, someone talking sense.

I just don't understand this blinkered mentality that sees people singling out Lee Johnson when it was clear to everyone there on Saturday that the whole team had a bad game. (including everyones golden-boy Noble)

Lets move on and get behind the team - And how a bit of faith in Gary Johnsons team selections ?

Here here, we are 4th not 24th we are still in a great position and in 4 weeks time we have revenge for that defeat. This is not about LJ it was a poor performance from all Saturday. Lets get behind the balls and get three points on that board come 24th November 2007 :city::city:

I just don't understand this blinkered mentality that sees people singling out Lee Johnson when it was clear to everyone there on Saturday that the whole team had a bad game. (including everyones golden-boy Noble)

Some people clearly didn't read the first post. Everyone said that the whole team was bad. The point is about LJ being good enough for this league which he isn't.

Some people clearly didn't read the first post. Everyone said that the whole team was bad. The point is about LJ being good enough for this league which he isn't.

Alex, you mean in your oppinion he isnt good enough, thats what this forum is all about!!!, however the thread is quite split on whether or not he is good enough, i think he is

Samo,

You have just saved me 20 minutes posting, as you have summed the game up perfectly. I agree with every word, especially with regards to Elliott, who has had 3 poor games in a row. He has been our player of the year so far, but if he doesn't have the workrate, he doesn't have anything. This is clearly why Milwall were happy to let him go.

It's interesting to see that GJ has cancelled time off and arranged another training session yesterday, it's the lack of desire and workrate which would have concerned hin the most.

Wouldn't say elliott has had 3 POOR games in a row....

ok Saturday he wasn't very good, but McIndoe and enoch aside nobody had much of a game, McIndoe and enoch were ok.... not great but its hard to have a decent game with a lot of below par performances around them

against charlton marv was average and possibly below his usual standard. He played well against wolves... so cant see the 3 in a row arguement ?

Johnson was by far the poorest midfielder against ipswich, including sproule who also had a shocker

Johnson should be subbed when he's not playing well but never is...

Johnson should start on the bench if he's not playing well but never does

When Johnson is playing well he is a good asset, he's not playing well at the moment and his persistent bottling of tackles and stupid little flicks has given away soft goals... a couple of games on the bench will do him and the team no harm

Nobody should automatically be on the team sheet, its a squad you pick from and if people are not pulling their weight others should come in

I spent over three grand travelling to watch City play last season Buddy, I have a right to comment on the way Johnson is treated on here. As you will see on this thread, others are pissed off at the attacks that Johnson gets on here, and they travel just as far as you! :disapointed2se: It seems funny how its just me and Belfast Robin get the flack, just because we live in Belfast.

Change the record you I love you :fingerscrossed:

I think you've let yourself down with your last remark. I assume, given you were happy to use the term, that you know what a I love you is - i.e. prison slang for a sex offender such as a rapist or paedophile. To imply that somebody, who happens to have an alternative viewpoint than yourself, fits that description is dangerous, extremely ignorant, immature and shows a (temporary??) lack of basic intelligence. You need to be careful before you post insults like that for the simple reasons that firstly, you may insult the wrong person and secondly that person may be far more sensitive than myself and take the matter a lot further (if you want evidence of that, go and ask supporters of Sheffield Wednesday who have found that anonymity is not something the law recognises you can hide behind on an internet forum). I would prefer to think that the remark was, in fact, a throw-away comment and that you are big enough, on reflection, to realise that you have made a mistake in posting it.

My main point though is in response to many on this thread. This is a football forum and as part of our discussions the subject of individual players will come up. To me, LJ is just another player, not the Manager's son and as such, I have an opinion on him the same as I do on many others. My opinion is that based upon the eleven games I have seen this season there are aspects of his play that I have reservations about. I have not made (or seen from others) mass postings claiming that the only reason he is in the team is because of his dad. I like, many others, am using this "football forum" to post an opinion about Lee Johnson, not pick on him or attack him, the same as many others have not picked on or attacked:-

Basso - the next mistake is just around the corner

Orr - great bloke but giving too many goals away

Trundle - has the jury delivered a verdict?

Keogh - burned his bridges and was pants at Huddersfield

Jevons - not up to Championship standard

all of which have appeared on here recently and yet are not deemed to have been "picked on" or "attacked" in the way that LJ apparently is. It seems that no-one is able to make a reasoned post stating why they have concerns about LJ's contribution to the team without a certain gang jumping right down their throats with silly accusations of "you're only saying it because he's the manager's son". What a load of b0ll0x that is. Gary Johnson is a fantastic manager for this football club and has made some excellent decisions and team selections. He is the one with the medals, coaching badges and experience that none of us on here have and if he decides that LJ's inclusion in the team is the right thing then, of course, we have to go along with it. However, just because he has all that it does not mean that we have to agree with EVERY SINGLE DECISION or SELECTION that he makes. Isn't that one of the reasons we come on here - or do we want a tedious "love-in" where each and every poster agrees with one another?

Alex, you mean in your oppinion he isnt good enough, thats what this forum is all about!!!, however the thread is quite split on whether or not he is good enough, i think he is

No hes not as he is so inconsistent, lust like Aaron AWOL Brown. He'll be good WHEN hes consistent, which is what captainstranded alludes to

I think you've let yourself down with your last remark. I assume, given you were happy to use the term, that you know what a I love you is - i.e. prison slang for a sex offender such as a rapist or paedophile. To imply that somebody, who happens to have an alternative viewpoint than yourself, fits that description is dangerous, extremely ignorant, immature and shows a (temporary??) lack of basic intelligence. You need to be careful before you post insults like that for the simple reasons that firstly, you may insult the wrong person and secondly that person may be far more sensitive than myself and take the matter a lot further (if you want evidence of that, go and ask supporters of Sheffield Wednesday who have found that anonymity is not something the law recognises you can hide behind on an internet forum). I would prefer to think that the remark was, in fact, a throw-away comment and that you are big enough, on reflection, to realise that you have made a mistake in posting it.

My main point though is in response to many on this thread. This is a football forum and as part of our discussions the subject of individual players will come up. To me, LJ is just another player, not the Manager's son and as such, I have an opinion on him the same as I do on many others. My opinion is that based upon the eleven games I have seen this season there are aspects of his play that I have reservations about. I have not made (or seen from others) mass postings claiming that the only reason he is in the team is because of his dad. I like, many others, am using this "football forum" to post an opinion about Lee Johnson, not pick on him or attack him, the same as many others have not picked on or attacked:-

Basso - the next mistake is just around the corner

Orr - great bloke but giving too many goals away

Trundle - has the jury delivered a verdict?

Keogh - burned his bridges and was pants at Huddersfield

Jevons - not up to Championship standard

all of which have appeared on here recently and yet are not deemed to have been "picked on" or "attacked" in the way that LJ apparently is. It seems that no-one is able to make a reasoned post stating why they have concerns about LJ's contribution to the team without a certain gang jumping right down their throats with silly accusations of "you're only saying it because he's the manager's son". What a load of b0ll0x that is. Gary Johnson is a fantastic manager for this football club and has made some excellent decisions and team selections. He is the one with the medals, coaching badges and experience that none of us on here have and if he decides that LJ's inclusion in the team is the right thing then, of course, we have to go along with it. However, just because he has all that it does not mean that we have to agree with EVERY SINGLE DECISION or SELECTION that he makes. Isn't that one of the reasons we come on here - or do we want a tedious "love-in" where each and every poster agrees with one another?

Wow, that was deep! Having not been part of the prison population, I was unaware that the term "I love you" had such depraved meanings. I am educated, but my interests in prison slang are pretty much non existant, up until this moment of course :innocent06:

You have turned this into a rant about the reprecussions of my usage of the word I love you, when I was blissfully unaware of its Greebo meaning. I have watched Prisoner Cell Block H in the past, and Prison Break more recently and have not heard the term used in general prison like conversations. :noexpression:

I found the following definitions:

I love you

- 1) In information technology, a I love you is a parameter that varies with time. A I love you can be a time stamp, a visit counter on a Web page, or a special marker intended to limit or prevent the unauthorized replay or reproduction of a file.

Because a I love you changes with time, it is easy to tell whether or not an attempt at replay or reproduction of a file is legitimate; the current time can be compared with the I love you. If it does not exceed it or if no I love you exists, then the attempt is authorized. Otherwise, the attempt is not authorized.

2) In general usage, a I love you is a pronounceable string of characters invented and used only in a given context. The origin of the term goes back to the Middle Ages with "the anes," an expression meaning "for the immediate occasion." This evolved to "the I love you," perhaps based on widespread mispronunciation.

So I did use it incorrectly, so for that I will apologise. I will ensure that any future "off the cuff remarks" have a better definition.

Please don't try to make things sound worse than they really are, it was a bit over dramatic :innocent06::fastasleep:

Wow, that was deep! Having not been part of the prison population, I was unaware that the term "I love you" had such depraved meanings. I am educated, but my interests in prison slang are pretty much non existant, up until this moment of course :innocent06:

You have turned this into a rant about the reprecussions of my usage of the word I love you, when I was blissfully unaware of its Greebo meaning. I have watched Prisoner Cell Block H in the past, and Prison Break more recently and have not heard the term used in general prison like conversations. :noexpression:

I found the following definitions:

I love you

- 1) In information technology, a I love you is a parameter that varies with time. A I love you can be a time stamp, a visit counter on a Web page, or a special marker intended to limit or prevent the unauthorized replay or reproduction of a file.

Because a I love you changes with time, it is easy to tell whether or not an attempt at replay or reproduction of a file is legitimate; the current time can be compared with the I love you. If it does not exceed it or if no I love you exists, then the attempt is authorized. Otherwise, the attempt is not authorized.

2) In general usage, a I love you is a pronounceable string of characters invented and used only in a given context. The origin of the term goes back to the Middle Ages with "the anes," an expression meaning "for the immediate occasion." This evolved to "the I love you," perhaps based on widespread mispronunciation.

So I did use it incorrectly, so for that I will apologise. I will ensure that any future "off the cuff remarks" have a better definition.

Please don't try to make things sound worse than they really are, it was a bit over dramatic :innocent06::fastasleep:

Nothing deep or over-dramatic in my post whatsoever. If you look in any dictionary you will also find the third meaning for the word I love you - the one you were unaware of and the only meaning that fits into the context of your remark. Like I said previously, ignorance of the meaning of what you are writing could cost you if you insult the wrong person. If you don't know what a throwaway slang remark means, particularly one with such a serious meaning, then don't use it. Lack of knowledge is no justification for a pathetic insult like that to be used against another poster.

And you have the cheek, when you are the ignorant party, to blame me for making things sound worse and being over-dramatic. It was obviously my fault you called me a I love you - priceless!!!

Nothing deep or over-dramatic in my post whatsoever. If you look in any dictionary you will also find the third meaning for the word I love you - the one you were unaware of and the only meaning that fits into the context of your remark. Like I said previously, ignorance of the meaning of what you are writing could cost you if you insult the wrong person. If you don't know what a throwaway slang remark means, particularly one with such a serious meaning, then don't use it. Lack of knowledge is no justification for a pathetic insult like that to be used against another poster.

And you have the cheek, when you are the ignorant party, to blame me for making things sound worse and being over-dramatic. It was obviously my fault you called me a I love you - priceless!!!

I know ypu must be enjoying this and I would love to continue this explosive debate, if only to see what you can look up next, but I won't. I called you it, get over it, stop making a biggy out of it and move on.......Christmas is coming, season of goodwill etc etc

Take which ever of the three definitions you find most appropriate, the choice is yours. If everyone got as worked up as you over name calling, this forum would be a nightmare. There has been far worse said, stop being an old woman!

Will you be calling me sexist now??

:innocent06:

Anyways, on with the original thread eh?

The following are purely my opinion, not based on inside knowledge, and no more valid than anyone else's opinion (Bar GJ's - as his job rests on his opinions)...

1) It is never down to one player when a team get thrashed

2) LJ does offer something different to the team, and when the team is on song, is a vital asset

3) Whatever you think of LJ, would you be worried if he were sold tomorrow - surely yes.

4) I do not believe for a second GJ shows any bias because he is his son. The opposite if anything.

5) In some ways LJ is more suited to this division (where most teams play football) than Lg1 (where hoofball applies more)

6) Some teams know how to make us struggle - recently Charlton and Ipswich smoothered us in midfield and broke up our every play before it had started.

7) On days when we are not going to get the time on the ball we thrive on, a second midfielder who can tackle is a real benefit

8) When your team is having a bad patch in a match, a big hard tackle can raise the crowd and the team as much as a 25 yard piledriver that canons off the crossbar.

9) Looking at midfielders who can track and tackle when we are under the cosh, LJ does not have this as one of his strenghts in the bag. Nor does David Noble.

10) 2 tackling midfielders does not work unless at least one can provide some creativity too - so Elliott and Skuse is not the next pairing I would like to see.

11) Therefore the ideal partner to try next with Marvin is our only tackling playmaker Alex Russell

12) Where Russell played last season (different league admittedly) we looked good as a team, and our win record was high

13) Russell is match fit at the moment, rather than requiring a few games to warm up

14) I therefore would be pleased to see Elliott and Russell tried soon. I like LJ, and believe the shirt is yours to keep for as long as you influence the game - in the last few games, he has not though...

I'd also like to offer the Russell should play opinion, if we were to drop LJ.

I think the one creative, one Marvin Elliot two man midfield would and should work. LJ isn't performing so it seems so i'd switch him for the other creative but actually fit central midfielder we have.

Greebo, not once have i came on here and questioned any supporter on how LJ has performed. The only point i was making was that imo from watching the highlights, i didn't think LJ was at fault for any of the goals against Ipswich. :innocent06:

he is a good midfielder BUT

how come it is that Lj has played for Gj at yeovil and us

and yet when GJ left yoevil he was offloaded striaght away i believe ?

and that none has ever heard of Lee Johnson before he came to the city boys ?

it is because Gary believes Lee is a good player and improves his teams, so far up that has been justified as when Gary first signed him for Yeovil they were a mid-table conference team they have now both progressed through the leagues to 4th in the championship.

where from there.....who knows..

as for when he left Yeovil, once Johnson left Yeovil, within the next six months, pretty much the entire team majority of which of their own according, Johnson left for Hearts which for any player at Yeovil, would be too good a move for any league 1 player to turn down.

finally, I think I speak for most when I say a Large majority of people on here, knew of Lee Johnson prior to him joining us, you use that no one had heard of Lee before he joined us, however how many could say they knew of Noble, Fontaine and McCombe and McAllister before they joined City?

he is a good midfielder BUT

how come it is that Lj has played for Gj at yeovil and us

and yet when GJ left yoevil he was offloaded striaght away i believe ?

and that none has ever heard of Lee Johnson before he came to the city boys ?

"offloaded" isn't actually what happened now, is it? He got sold to a team in the SPL, a higher level than Yeovil.

And maybe it's just you, because most City fans I know had heard of Lee Johnson before we secured his services.

"offloaded" isn't actually what happened now, is it? He got sold to a team in the SPL, a higher level than Yeovil.

And maybe it's just you, because most City fans I know had heard of Lee Johnson before we secured his services.

Perhaps youve heard of him cos Yeovil are localish to Brizz. Most fans up here among League 1 or 2 teams had little or no knowledge of the bloke and the Hearts fans I know knew little about him either. There is considerable hype about him, which IN MY OPINION is unjustified. I remain to be convinced otherwise, and games like last Saturday, ram home the point.

Perhaps youve heard of him cos Yeovil are localish to Brizz. Most fans up here among League 1 or 2 teams had little or no knowledge of the bloke and the Hearts fans I know knew little about him either. There is considerable hype about him, which IN MY OPINION is unjustified. I remain to be convinced otherwise, and games like last Saturday, ram home the point.

Perhaps, but I actually lived in West Yorkshire when he was at Yeovil and then moved to City, so saying it is simple proximity that marked him out is utterly false.

May I ask if you attended the Ipswich game last week? If so, what exactly did Lee Johnson do so wrong that marked him out from our other players? Last saturday he was no worse than Elliot, probably better IN MY OPINION, despite the "considerable hype" surrounding him, so what does that mean? Is Elliot deserving of the chop?

Archived