IGNORED

Things You Don't See

42nite

Good shout Downendcity.

Forgot all about that.

You had to buy a programme so you knew what letter related to what match.

Happy days.

Happy days indeed Zippy. When I first started going it was a couple of season before I twigged what A,B,C,D etc. and the scores meant .

Other things I can remember are rosettes, bobble hats, walking round from the East End to the open end at half time - that was before the Dolman was built , crowds surging down the East End terraces when we scored. I can also remember back in the 60's and '70's thinking how crap it was being stuck in the old 2nd division ( now championship) for 10 years. Little did I know that 40 years later it would be even more crap being stuck in the 3rd division for almost as long and hope that's another thing we will all learn to miss!

I can also remember going to night games and sensing the atmosphere when you could see the floodlights at the top of the old pylons from a long way off. Can also remember that at mid-winter games there used to be a fog of cigarette and cigar smoke rising out of the crowd and hanging across the ground like a mist - a bit like at Italian league games when they set off flares.

But that was when summer holidays lasted for ever and the sun always shone, children could wander the streets during school holidays without anxious parents caling the police after 5 minutes , you could eat chips almost every day because your Mum gave you a balanced diet with pretty well every meal of fresh cooked food and you had plenty of excercise because tyou were outside playing all the time and didn't have computers. The nearest we came to global warming was when my Mum put all three bars of the electric fire on, the big bang was every bonfire night when just about every house had it's own box of standard fireworks in the back garden and oral sex was when you and your mates talked a lot about what you'd like to do with the best looking girl in school, but as you were only nine chance seemed a fine thing.

Dodgy country and western bands playing "You picked a fine time to leave me Jolene".

Surely it was Lucille....

How about singing along to "When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbing along" by Al Jolson just before kick off... and kids hanging on the railings for an hour before kick off then wanting to go to the toilet at the last minute and losing their place...and St John's ambulancemen walking around the pitch in hats that were too big for them and big white bags... and only two footballs to last the whole game...and John Motson climbing a ladder (never get that through health and safety these days)...

oral sex was when you and your mates talked a lot about what you'd like to do with the best looking girl in school, but as you were only nine chance seemed a fine thing.

At our Primary School all the girls went 'funny' at about 10 years old and insisted on trying to get games of kiss chase going in the playground.

No chance, that would have interrupted a game of football.

Football or girls at 10 years old? :dunno: No contest - playing football was everything and the girls had to wait for a while. :innocent06:

Terracing :winner_third_h4h:

Riots :winner_third_h4h: - a very traditional Bristolian pastime given our volatile nature when things go wrong for us.*

Girls in hot pants - I remember girls in hot pants when I first attended Ashton Gate as a mini-Goblin circa 1970. :winner_third_h4h:

* The most major of Bristol's famous riots...

Tax Riots: 1312 - 1316

Food Riot: 1709

Political Riot: 1714

Weavers Riots: 1728 / 1729

Turnpike Riots: 1727 - 1749

Food Riot: 1753

Bristol Bridge Riot: 1793

Market Riot: 1811

Political Reform Riot: 1831

St. Paul's Riot: 1980

pg tips chimps swinging from the crossbar(before the game!)

70p to get in the east end.west ham fans in the east end.

steve brooker.singing "it,s spring again we,ll sing again,gerty from amsterdam"

scoring 3 or more goals!!sorry,i,m not moaning,honest i,m not!

back to back relegations(a thing of the past)

'Kingpin' has already corrected me further up the thread ^^^^^^

However, I'll add that riot to the list.......

The most major of Bristol's famous riots...

Tax Riots: 1312 - 1316

Food Riot: 1709

Political Riot: 1714

Weavers Riots: 1728 / 1729

Turnpike Riots: 1727 - 1749

Food Riot: 1753

Bristol Bridge Riot: 1793

Market Riot: 1811

Political Reform Riot: 1831

St. Paul's Riot: 1980

Hartcliffe: 1991

....anymore major Bristol Riots for the record books?

Yes sorry , I tried removed the post before I looked stupid .

bs3, the Hartcliffe Riot may have occurred in 1992?

My Great Aunty lived in one of the first council houses to be built in Hartcliffe. She lived there from the early 1950's 'til about 2001.

1991 I was there so to speak. Used to live in Bishopsworth the rioters came through my street trying to attack the police station. Never seen so many old bill in my life.A cross Bishopsworth/Church road must have been 20 deep with a dozen police horses and dogs at the back. The word on the street was that they were going to burn down the police station, The police must have had orders to protect it come what may.

Me in a denim jacket with long hair and a silk City scarf tied round my wrist pretending to look hard. :doh:

All the skinheads in their long white butchers coats and bovver boots. :w00t:

Haha - yes, I remember tying the scarf around my wrist too! God did we look 'ard or what! Gert lush.

50p to stand in the 'Schoolboys' Enclosure' (no school Girls Aloud)

Punks v mods in the East End

Tiswas v Swapshop in the East End

City v Tottenham/Arsenal/West Ham/Man Utd in the East End

City v Everyone in the Park End

Bringing a stool to stand on so you could see the game from the terraces

People pissing on the terraces because it was impossible to get to the toilets

Terraces

Edited to add:

$h@g Conners & The Carrot Crunchers, and

Linzi Drew & The Rockin' Robins (phwoar).

Further edit: for some reason OTIB still has a problem with the word $h@g (may he rest in peace).

Surely that was a 70s thing?Although Ive seen Newcastle fans on tv who still do it!

It was robins, particularly in the promotion season and the old First Division days.

Newcastle fans still do it :dunno: - don't tell me silk scarves have made a comeback? :surrender:

Archived