IGNORED

Things You Don't See

42nite

Guest ashtonyate

A Brass band walking and playing around the pitch with the band master throwing his mace 3 mile up in the air.

Loads of green buses waiting outside the ground to take the fans home.

Floodlight stantions all around the ground

The lovely John Atyeo bagging in the Goals how I wished we had some one half as good

Amazing thread. Someone should put this lot in a book

Big bastards leaning on you when you were little

inflated condoms floating about above the East End

"nutters corner"

goalies being knocked over into the net holding the ball and the goal being given

funny red railings

kids being let into the open end free for the last 15 minutes

brilliant

In the East End in the late 80's, there used to be 2 girls who were at every game, there used to be a chant of 'Get your t*ts out for the lads' to which they used to lift up their tops to give the lads a eyeful.Anyone else remember that. Don't happen now, or if i does i miss it. :angry:

I remember them at Wembley in 1986!

Sh@g Connor and the Carrot Crunchers.

John Cox doing the half time draw - As WSC put it 'A very fat man with a dodgy microphone drawing ping pong balls from a bread bin'.

Away fans getting wet in the Open End.

The Rocking Robins - Who even noticed the dubious choreography?

Tony Harling was more heard than seen!

Only 1 Sub, normally brought on in the 89th minute.

Pre-match "entertainment". Mind you, in those days we had little during-match entertainment.

Blimey those were the days, I'd forgotten about that amazing winter's evening game view from Ye Olde East End. :worship2:

I'll never forget going to one of my first evening games and looking up and thinking "Bugger me, that's the suspension bridge. I never knew it was there".

I'll put my hand up and admit to a degree of bias but surely, from within a football ground, that was one of the most beautiful sites in World football? :city:

I'll put my hand up and admit to a degree of bias but surely, from within a football ground, that was one of the most beautiful sites in World football? :city:

In all its glory, this was the sight we could see on a cold winter's evening from Ye Olde East End terrace prior to the Atyeo Stand being built........... :englandsmile4wf: .........

214473113a5c3c9486cnt2.jpg

The Dolman Stand didn't exist, the site was just a pile of rubble.

I think it was a night match we were winning, and just about avoiding relegation.

The East End in all its glory started singing......

Harry Harry build us a stand, build us a stand, build us a stand, Harry Harry build us a stand we're in division 2.

So he did!

The phantom whistler:

If memory serves, someone used to bring a ref's whistle and have a blast on it now and again, confusing the players. This was probably early 70s era.

The announcer (Dennis? can't remember surname) would appeal for the guilty man to stop, saying 'the phantom whistler is back', to loud cheers.

Burst football:

Things are coming back to me after reading all these posts. Didn't Keith Fear actually burst the ball in a challenge or when he had a shot blocked at a Tuesday night match, again early 70s. Can't remember that happening since. (Of course, I could be completely losing it).

Green goalkeeper's jersey:

These days keepers wear all sorts of colours but through the 60s and 70s at least it was nearly always plain green. I used to dread it if Gibbo came out of the tunnel wearing blue, which he did now and again, because we always seemed to lose those games.

The nastier chanting:

Most of it is banter nowadays, but there was an edge to many of the songs 20-odd years ago you don't get now, probably reflecting the times, like 'you're going to get your ...... heads kicked in.' And 'We don't carry razors, we don't carry lead, we only carry hatchets to bury in your heads'

Sorry if this spoils the feel-good factor of this thread but perhaps it shows how things have moved on.

Archived