IGNORED

Things You Don't See

42nite

Roger Malone commentaries ...

"Good afternoon everyone and welcome to Ashton Gate, the home of Bristol City for this top of the team table clash ..."

"... and there goes the half-time whistle for half-time"

i remember the east end singing "we all agree,roger malone is a ######"to which he simply replied

"abuse from the east end"and carried on commentating,classic!

1991 I was there so to speak. Used to live in Bishopsworth the rioters came through my street trying to attack the police station. Never seen so many old bill in my life.A cross Bishopsworth/Church road must have been 20 deep with a dozen police horses and dogs at the back. The word on the street was that they were going to burn down the police station, The police must have had orders to protect it come what may.

I only asked because it states 1992 on wikipedia and to be honest I can't remember the exact date for myself. I don't know the extent of that riot but I do know that people were angry about two lads being killed by the Police? Ok, so here is the updated list....

The most major of Bristol's famous riots...

Tax Riots: 1312 - 1316

Food Riot: 1709

Political Riot: 1714

Weavers Riots: 1728 / 1729

Turnpike Riots: 1727 - 1749

Food Riot: 1753

Bristol Bridge Riot: 1793

Market Riot: 1811

Political Reform Riot: 1831

St. Paul's Riot: 1980

Hartcliffe Riot: 1991

You were right first time mate, the Hartcliffe riot was definitely in '92.

I remember the St Paul's riot of 1980 with pride. Was only a nipper, but the whole country was in depression and police opression was rife all over the shop. The kids of St Pauls were the first to hit back. The rest of the UK duly followed suit and thereafter the world changed (gradually) for the better.

I remember the St Paul's riot of 1980 with pride. Was only a nipper, but the whole country was in depression and police opression was rife all over the shop. The kids of St Pauls were the first to hit back. The rest of the UK duly followed suit and thereafter the world changed (gradually) for the better.

What sticks in my mind was what an old soldier told me circa 1982. He said that my generation was being used as cannon fodder by the Government just as his generation was. Luckily for us the depression and unemployment of the early 1980's was not followed by a terrible war as happened after the 1930's depression.

Back to topic, what you don't see at Ashton Gate is inbred Toffs. You get inbred Toffs at rugby games, in courthouses dressed in their wigs and at fox and stag hunt meetings but not at Ashton Gate.

Tobacco adverts the size of buses on the Dolman Wall, police horses lined up at the parkend end of the dolman,white walls in the enclosure, oh the memories are coming back :violin: Being asked " whats the time mate" when we played the London teams as you walked up into the East End ( for the younger ones, this was to see if you were a cockney ) :unsure:

i remember the east end singing "we all agree,roger malone is a ######"to which he simply replied

"abuse from the east end"and carried on commentating,classic!

His line whenever a goal was scored always seemed to be: "It's there!"

Back to topic. Before the open end was used for away fans, there was no segregation on the East End. Lots of fans ejected. Four coppers to a skin'ead . . . holding an arm or a leg each.

Good call! I think that the show was "All in the Game" ... I remember Gerry Sweeney frantically and heroically heading shots off the line in some free-kick challenge.

Not quite sure but was it Stuart Hall doing the presenting, think it was a cross over from it's a knockout and football. also am i right in thinking it only ran for one series?

Gawd don't it make you feel old looking back.

Not quite sure but was it Stuart Hall doing the presenting, think it was a cross over from it's a knockout and football. also am i right in thinking it only ran for one series?

Gawd don't it make you feel old looking back.

Second time this has come up in a couple of weeks - (thread on Social City forum)

Was brainchild of Alan Dicks...

All in the Game

Host :Dickie Davies & Brian Moore

Broadcast: ITV Sport for ITV, 1976-8

Synopsis: Kind of a proto-Superteams, with two famous soccer sides testing their skills at a variety of footballing challenges.

Categories: Sport

you what?... 'for the better'?.. what planet you on.

Now we have..

MORE TAX

MORE TRAFFIC

SENSELESS TRAFFIC LIGHTS EVERYWHERE

SENSELESS SIGNS EVERYWHERE

ROAD BUMPS

A LOT MORE TAX

PEN PUSHERS DOING NOUT IN GOV'T

MORE INCOMPETENCE

LESS COURTESY

MORE FILTH AND DIRT ON THE STREETS

MORE CORRUPTION

OH AND MUCH MORE TAX.

Go non-domicle... its the way forward.

you what?... 'for the better'?.. what planet you on.

Now we have..

MORE TAX

MORE TRAFFIC

SENSELESS TRAFFIC LIGHTS EVERYWHERE

SENSELESS SIGNS EVERYWHERE

ROAD BUMPS

A LOT MORE TAX

PEN PUSHERS DOING NOUT IN GOV'T

MORE INCOMPETENCE

LESS COURTESY

MORE FILTH AND DIRT ON THE STREETS

MORE CORRUPTION

OH AND MUCH MORE TAX.

Go non-domicle... its the way forward.

LESS THATCHER

A big cheer going up whenever Les Bardsley ran across the pitch to treat a player. It always appeared that he was sprinting in slow motion.

On a similar theme, the wet sponge - cure all for every football injury. Back then a player could have a double fracture but a swab with the wet sponge and a shout of "run it off" and they were Ok to finish the game. Health and Safety doesn't allow a sponge nowadays 'cause of blood injuries.

Talking of injuries, can anyone remember proper tackling, i.e. when a player went 6 feet up in the air but the ref waived play on. I can also remember a time when there was hardly any diving/simmulation by players, so if they went down you pretty well knew they were badly injured.

I can remember when you were only allowed one substitute, but Icant remember whether there were no subs allowed when I first started watching in '66

In the East End in the late 80's, there used to be 2 girls who were at every game, there used to be a chant of 'Get your t*ts out for the lads' to which they used to lift up their tops to give the lads a eyeful.Anyone else remember that. Don't happen now, or if i does i miss it. :angry:

A cracking Atyeo goal hitting the back of the net

The No. 2 Grandstand

Rosettes on Sale outside the kiosk on the Winterstoke Road entrance

An empty East End when we hit 92nd spot in the old 4th Div

Cheaper beer

And I definately don't miss:

Getting caught up in the fighting when Millwall and Chelsea came to visit

1. Those red and white nylon caps seen during our Wembley appearances in the mid 80s.

2. Being told to get off the Schoolboy Enclosure railings in front of the Dolman by the stewards.

3. Being able to pick and choose your row in the Dolman

4. The Carpenters being played on the PA System....who the hell was in charge of music back then?!

5. Queuing at the turnstiles

6. Taking tea up from the old Dolman Refreshments in a crisp box cos it was too hot to carry + 6 i) Coke served from bottles + 6 ii) The ball being cleared straight into the Refreshments and knocking bottles of aforementioned Coke everywhere. A very amusing sight!

7. Sam Mason...thank God.

I miss the two sets of teams running out of the old tunnel (before the Williams redvelopment).

The tunnel was really close and tight knit, which meant that the away team got a loud chorus of boos whereas City were greeted to the Barrrrissssstol, Barrrrrrisssstol chant (Same as the Unnnnighted, Uuuuunighted chant that all the Utd teams do!!) - whatever happened to that welcome?

Also miss the fat ballboy who used to do the truffle shuffle - cracking laugh!

Archived