IGNORED

Things You Don't See

42nite

Burst football:

Things are coming back to me after reading all these posts. Didn't Keith Fear actually burst the ball in a challenge or when he had a shot blocked at a Tuesday night match, again early 70s. Can't remember that happening since. (Of course, I could be completely losing it).

I can't recall it happening to Keith Fear but it certainly happened to Peter Spiring - right in front of me at the East End. I have a feeling it was against Millwall. Goalmouth scramble, Spiring sees the ball free right next to the post, swings his foot at it and the ball burst between his foot and the post! I think that he was injured as a consequence.

I can't recall it happening to Keith Fear but it certainly happened to Peter Spiring - right in front of me at the East End. I have a feeling it was against Millwall. Goalmouth scramble, Spiring sees the ball free right next to the post, swings his foot at it and the ball burst between his foot and the post! I think that he was injured as a consequence.

you are absolutely right, it was Spiring and it was at the east end, I was in there that day too, but I remember it being a block tackle, not the post, great days!

In the East End in the late 80's, there used to be 2 girls who were at every game, there used to be a chant of 'Get your t*ts out for the lads' to which they used to lift up their tops to give the lads a eyeful.Anyone else remember that. Don't happen now, or if i does i miss it. :angry:

christ,i remember that!what a cracking sight that was!

Bangers going off in the middle of the East End at the last home match before Bonfire night, followed by a huge cheer.

The noise of hundreds of feet stamping on the terraces in unison on the East End terraces trying to keep warm on a particularly cold day. :colder:

Looking across the darkened East End on a night match to see dozens of cigarette lighters sparking up at a tense moment, e.g.. just before a corner was taken.

Fans climbing up onto the roof supports from the back for a better view if the East end was packed.

Looking over to the open end and seeing fans stood on top of the walls above the entrance, with only the railings to grip on to.

In the First Div.days, fans in the park end looking over the back at half time to see the fighting going on down below the open end.

• Admin

Footballs with laces.

Being able to move between stands.

Seeing everyone watching from the flats before the Dolman was built.

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal - but hopefully they'll be back soon!!

Home & away fans together in the open end.

Players with Ford Capri's

Alan Dicks daughters (very pretty, for those who never saw them)

Alan Dicks daughters (very pretty, for those who never saw them)

Melanie Dicks was the lead singer in a band called Double Vision, who had a track called 'My Dead Mother' which appeared on the excellent 'Avon Calling' compilation album of Bristol artists. Sadly, although the album included some top-notch tunes, heavily featured on the John Peel show, young Melanie's wasn't one of them. To be honest it was a dreadful song.

Suffice to say her career in music didn't quite live up to the dizzy heights of her father's in football management!

Melanie Dicks was the lead singer in a band called Double Vision, who had a track called 'My Dead Mother' which appeared on the excellent 'Avon Calling' compilation album of Bristol artists. Sadly, although the album included some top-notch tunes, heavily featured on the John Peel show, young Melanie's wasn't one of them. To be honest it was a dreadful song.

Suffice to say her career in music didn't quite live up to the dizzy heights of her father's in football management!

I was in the same class as Melanie Dicks at Cotham, I had no idea she'd become the lead singer in a band !!!! :surrender: I just remember that she had more graffitti on her school bag than even me. You learn something new everyday. :clapping:

Nice one. Hoped it would jog a memory and now seem to remember Spiring being treated on the pitch after that incident. Not the sort of thing mentioned in record books.

I think you'll find that Jolene was never with him....it was 'lucille' that let him.

Sorry - Lucille left him not 'let' him.....ooops.

:noexpression:

Anyway - back to the subject

- Steve Neville....!!

- Alan Walsh pile drivers...!

- Jan Moller

- English Champions being humbled by Bristol City

- Balls being booted into the crowd when the players come out

I just remember that she had more graffitti on her school bag than even me.

Just out of interest RG, was your school bag daubed in Cromwellian / Republic / Anti-Royalist propaganda back then, or was it something you got into, you know, later?

Little blue one person 'invalid carriages' parked pitchside near what is now the Atyeo/Dolman corner.

Great one....!!! Where have those little cars gone ?!?

Anyway - thought of another - the guy that used to walk round the pitch with a big tray attached to him - inside

it were crisps and chocolate. His problem was people would wait for him to go past then shout out 'crisps' please

mate or whatever - but when he turned round, everyone just put their eyes back on the game - it used to happen all the way down the Dolman Stand side - he must have got mightily pi55ed off with people winding him up !!

He must have done, I'm reliably informed that "working class" Red Goblin in fact attended a public grammar school rubbing shoulders with Bristol's toff elite.

Cotham was a state grammar school and had lots of normal working class pupils (me being one of them!). Fair point though, there were quite a few of Bristol's toff elite as well.

Just out of interest RG, was your school bag daubed in Cromwellian / Republic / Anti-Royalist propaganda back then, or was it something you got into, you know, later?

I had an army surplus rucksack with 'BCFC' daubed on it in red paint, along with the names of various punk rock bands scribbled on it as well. :winner_third_h4h:

Archived