IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• SC&T Board Members

Some of you may have missed the explanation below given by David Lloyd in answer to a fan asking why his flag was removed by stewards from the front of the Dolman on Sunday (see Q&A section):

Your flag contained the word 'Ultras" and was prominently displayed, on national television, in front of 8 million people. There is a proven and established connection between some European Ultra groups and far right extremism, racism, fascism and organised hooliganism. BCFC wants to make it very clear that it rejects any such association, and that those in favour of using violence in the name of Bristol City FC are not wanted at Ashton Gate. They bring shame on the club and our City. I am sure that the vast majority of ours supporters will agree with this.

I am sure this reply will generate a long and passionate response from some supporters, claiming that the UK Ultra scene has no connection with these groups, and that they are more about generating passionate support, flags, banners, atmosphere etc. This may well be the case, but the association is still there in most people's minds and is not one we welcome. Flags are welcome, as is vocal and passionate support, but not the word Ultras. 

This is not about 'suits' versus the people. It's about BCFC (and Bristol Sport) making a very clear statement about its values. We are a family club who welcome everyone to Ashton Gate, young and old, and encourages support in all its varied forms, providing it stays within the law.

For that reason, the word 'Ultras' has no place at Ashton Gate.

I look forward to the ensuing debate.

A sensible approach or sanitisation of football gone made? You'll guess from the thread title which camp I'm in.

Some of you may have missed the explanation below given by David Lloyd in answer to a fan asking why his flag was removed by stewards from the front of the Dolman on Sunday (see Q&A section):

Your flag contained the word 'Ultras" and was prominently displayed, on national television, in front of 8 million people. There is a proven and established connection between some European Ultra groups and far right extremism, racism, fascism and organised hooliganism. BCFC wants to make it very clear that it rejects any such association, and that those in favour of using violence in the name of Bristol City FC are not wanted at Ashton Gate. They bring shame on the club and our City. I am sure that the vast majority of ours supporters will agree with this.

I am sure this reply will generate a long and passionate response from some supporters, claiming that the UK Ultra scene has no connection with these groups, and that they are more about generating passionate support, flags, banners, atmosphere etc. This may well be the case, but the association is still there in most people's minds and is not one we welcome. Flags are welcome, as is vocal and passionate support, but not the word Ultras. 

This is not about 'suits' versus the people. It's about BCFC (and Bristol Sport) making a very clear statement about its values. We are a family club who welcome everyone to Ashton Gate, young and old, and encourages support in all its varied forms, providing it stays within the law.

A sensible approach or sanitisation of football gone made? You'll guess from the thread title which camp I'm in.

the highlighted bit, the word ultra isn't offensive, I think of passion first then the far right only after you've read up about it,

Complete and utter shit call from the club, its a flag it's been on display for a long time in the east end with out problems,

There is more offensive chanting then there is in this one flag,

Ducking ridiculous. Club really is ducking pathetic sometimes. May I suggest they get on the blower to their counterparts at palace ASAP as they need a ducking huge reality check.

You pathetic that's at the top of my club are a part of the problem in football and make it so ducking hard to support bcfc.

The sooner some of you get off your holy high ducking horses and duck off the better

Ducking pathetic

East end ultras were praised by Steve L on the pitch last season you hypocrite toss pots.

I'm done

Ducking ridiculous. Club really is ducking pathetic sometimes. May I suggest they get on the blower to their counterparts at palace ASAP as they need a ducking huge reality check.

You pathetic that's at the top of my club are a part of the problem in football and make it so ducking hard to support bcfc.

The sooner some of you get off your holy high ducking horses and duck off the better

Ducking pathetic

East end ultras were praised by Steve L on the pitch last season you hypocrite toss pots.

I'm done

dank duck dor dat, dow duck off.

I think DL perfectly summed up why the club took the action that it did.

I can empathise with the club's stance, but doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. However now we all know the club's position it isn't too difficult to comply with it.

I am not, and unlikely to ever be, a member of any group wanting to call itself 'Ultras', but in this case I believe Dave L and City as a whole have got this wrong.

Yes, some of the Ultra groups around Europe have a connection with racism and hooliganism, but that does not mean that any group calling itself an Ultra is built along these lines. To me the Ultra groups associate in my mind with hardcore, fanatical fans groups that bring colour and atmosphere to matches. The fact that these groups sometimes go over the top is unfortunate and something that anyone connecting to Bristol City would do well to avoid, but the group would be much better served by the Club embracing them and working with them rather than automatically assuming they are a bunch of vicious thugs.

I am not slow to condemn football violence, have done openly on here, and abhor anybody partaking in it, whilst sniggering to myself at the self importance of some people on here that like to big themselves up with vague references to it whilst telling us all that we don't understand it because we're not living it (a bit like paedophilia maybe?). but would like every single supporter of Bristol City to have the chance to support the team any way they want, so long as it remains legal.

It shouldn't be banned from the outset, but the people styling themselves as Ultras should also remember that they hold a responsibility to not cross the line.

I can empathise with the club's stance, but doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. However now we all know the club's position it isn't too difficult to comply with it.

The club did not perfectly sum up anything. That flag and others were allowed in the stadium for years. BS have changed that. There are people within the club who probably think the BS position is idiotic.

The club did not perfectly sum up anything. That flag and others were allowed in the stadium for years. BS have changed that. There are people within the club who probably think the BS position is idiotic.

if it were offensive they could justifiy it,

it isn't and should be aloud to stay, full stop, the clubb and BS are wrong

Ducking pathetic

I'm done

Sounds like you're quacking up mate.  To be fair, football is stale at the moment, especially with all the suits swanning about.  They think they're mallard.  I'd like us to stand together, birds of a feather flock together and all that jazz.  We need to really show the club that they're going to start losing fans if this continues, and at the end of the day, they will have to pick up the bill. I assure you, fans WILL start flocking the nest, and these fans are the clubs most passionate.

All this about the word "ultra", I mean, its not as if we're goose stepping about Ashton Gate. Even if we did, waddle you think they'd do about it?

If Bristol City football club put more faith into its fans, I'm sure things would go swimmingly.  I sometimes think the club are simply winging it, and they're constantly pekin on here to see what else they can do to piss us off.  They get all plucky, but they'll soon back down if we called fowl play and protest.

I would just ask Joseph Lloyd and the Politburo which words are now banned.

It seems only fair to let us clients know the list of non-approved words so we don't waste our money on expensive flags that aren't welcome in the Sports Hosting Centre.

As a fully signed up feminist ("this is what a feminist looks like"), I would hope that the list includes the term "Bristol City" as our recent cockney visitors will tell you this is a term that degrades women.  [Obviously, the term "Bristol City" could be taken to be entirely neutral in this context...but <ahem> "Ultra" isn't to be applied "in context"]

these fans are the clubs most passionate.

Sometimes I sympathise with such groups, then i remember that these supporters think that they are magically better than the rest of the support.  At which point I stop caring. 

The club tried to get safe standing, they pretty much led the cause in England.  yet that is overlooked.  

The club give a reason for not incorporating unreserved seating, that gets overlooked.

Some fans will always complain, despite apparently being the "most passionate".  

That is your opinion, probably based upon your own personal opinion on the matter.

For what it is worth I think the stance is wrong and misplaced, but DL provided the reasoning behind why they have adopted that approach. Whether that reasoning has merit is another debate, but it does sum up exactly why the club took the approach.

Seem to have heard that argument somewhere else before, but Godwin's Law prevents me from commenting.

it was never a problem before , in fact 5 years ago in fareness to the club they bent over backwards to get the flag measurred to drill hooks in the wall so it could be hung properly !!!

Would it be paranoid to suggest that it's the BS* suits who have demanded this?

* (and how apt that is)

Modern UK versions of ultras aren't troublemakers. The palace lot aren't, the Accrington Stanley ultras aren't.

I doubt we'll ever see the day when the CSF start calling themselves ultras ! In this country it means a group focussed on creating atmosphere, not hooligans.

Actually the Accrington example is a good one, I saw a documentary on them where the manager (James Beattie?) openly praised the 'Stanley Ultras' for their loyal and fanatical support all over the country. And they've got a huge huge Ultras flag with which the club has never had a problem.

That is probably what Ultras means to a lot of people - loyal and fanatical, not all Ultras groups have links to the more sinister organisations....

Archived