IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That boils my piss

Can't have the word 'ultra' on display, because that makes you a racist, wife beating, anti Muslim, alcoholic, pot smoking hooligan, but the media calls us 'Bristol' time and time again - did anyone find that far more insulting?

This is why I rarely bother watching live now, it's sanitised, boring, dull. I want to get down there, have a few beers and be able to say the 'f' word when I want, it's my release

Against modern football, as Robbo would say, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pretty sure the pot smoking is the odd one out there - that comes with a whole other stereotype.

I used to mind being called Bristol but I don't mind any more.  It ceased to bother me around about May 2014 when I started to think of other examples.   Cambridge United for example - the existence of Cambridge City doesn't stop people calling them Cambridge.  The simple fact is that we are the only league team from Bristol and the media and fans of other clubs can't be expected to know of every tinpot non-league club that hails from the same city as a league side.  So why wouldn't they call us Bristol?  OK - if there were another major team in the city then it would seem a bit ignorant to confuse the two but there isn't so it's no problem. 

"This is not about 'suits' versus the people"

That's exactly what it is.  'The people' seem perfectly happy with it.

If it was a point of principle then the principles of the management have changed this year.  Not last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

The club were perfectly happy with any perceived connotations in the past, quite clearly.

Begs the question - what's coming next?  Answers from Dave, if he wants to share them.  Something tells me this won't be the last change demanded by the management.

Pretty sure the pot smoking is the odd one out there - that comes with a whole other stereotype.

I used to mind being called Bristol but I don't mind any more.  It ceased to bother me around about May 2014 when I started to think of other examples.   Cambridge United for example - the existence of Cambridge City doesn't stop people calling them Cambridge.  The simple fact is that we are the only league team from Bristol and the media and fans of other clubs can't be expected to know of every tinpot non-league club that hails from the same city as a league side.  So why wouldn't they call us Bristol?  OK - if there were another major team in the city then it would seem a bit ignorant to confuse the two but there isn't so it's no problem. 

You get what I mean from the pot smoking bit, I was trying to think of all the naughty things people do

As for Bristol, I get it. But that isn't our name, so don't call us it. It's like Manchester United / City, being shortened to Man. That's not their name, it's not like it's our nickname, either. It's the name of a rugby club. It just completely ***** me off. Watched the game with a Swindon fan, even he said it was grating on him

I guess the thing I find strange is Palace get all sorts of praise for their atmosphere and that comes from the palace ultras in the corner.. Always shown on TV when they are playing.

I beleive Swindon have/had a group with ultra banners in the town end too

You get what I mean from the pot smoking bit, I was trying to think of all the naughty things people do

As for Bristol, I get it. But that isn't our name, so don't call us it. It's like Manchester United / City, being shortened to Man. That's not their name, it's not like it's our nickname, either. It's the name of a rugby club. It just completely ***** me off. Watched the game with a Swindon fan, even he said it was grating on him

You're calling the Swindon Town a Swindon fan though?   Presumably because there's only one league team in Swindon so everyone knows who you mean.

It's basically the same thing.  Granted, it didn't used to be until Rovers dropped out the league.  But now, to wider perceptions, we are Bristol's only football club. 

Dear DL,

The sanitisation of OUR club continues, what exactly sort of fan does our club now allow ?. It is difficult to know as the goalposts continue to be moved.

The "family" club is fine but hey wake up we are the ALL Bristol City family, and it takes all sorts. It really is no wonder flags have been locked away when so many apparent conditions are put on them, will they soon need Bristol Sport emblazoned in blue on them before they can be considered?.

As for the Ultras flag its just a name that in its self represents a broad fan base of our club......so what is really wrong with that; seeing as its hardly a new thing.

Sadly its the road our club is being steered down, when do the armchairs and carpet slippers get to be delivered.

I have been a fan for 50 odd years now and both my sons have been brought up with City in their blood, by far the best visits have been in the Eastend with like minded fans, now we all feel increasingly alienated and not wanted. 

You work for the "suits" so are not going to rock the boat, but really this needs to stop, this being the constant erosion of normal fans enjoyment of their Saturday matchday enjoyment.

Sad as well, the on pitch success is being nullified by the of pitch antics. :disapointed2se:

JE SUIS ULTRA

You're calling the Swindon Town a Swindon fan though?   Presumably because there's only one league team in Swindon so everyone knows who you mean.

It's basically the same thing.  Granted, it didn't used to be until Rovers dropped out the league.  But now, to wider perceptions, we are Bristol's only football club. 

To be fair, I'm sat at my desk, not being paid to talk about a game of football involving Bristol City & West Ham United

I get it won't bother people, I don't want anyone to start caring because I do, it just grates!

To be fair, I'm sat at my desk, not being paid to talk about a game of football involving Bristol City & West Ham United

I get it won't bother people, I don't want anyone to start caring because I do, it just grates!

It does grate for sure.  But I've concluded it's also a brilliant piece of antagonism towards Rovers - basically implies they're irrelevant and now there really is only one team in Bristol...

and there comes the next can of worms, are away team flags with the word Ultra in them now going to be banned from the ground?

I imagine only if they are visible from a camera?

Its called being politically correct.  You don't have to agree with something, you have to be seen to agree.

Our management are sounding and looking more like politicians by the day.  And we all know what everyone thinks of them.

It does grate for sure.  But I've concluded it's also a brilliant piece of antagonism towards Rovers - basically implies they're irrelevant and now there really is only one team in Bristol...

Yeah, I said that to my mate yesterday, that made him smile!

Always got me, I should let it go, far more important things going on in the world I guess!

Anyway, who's up for doing a flag like the Standard Liege (?) fans did yesterday about one of their old players coming back with Anderlecht? I'm thinking that tosser that got Wade sent off at Swindle.....any one else seen that?? Slightly over the top, I'd back Dave L on taking that one down!

I imagine only if they are visible from a camera?

Its called being politically correct.  You don't have to agree with something, you have to be seen to agree.

Our management are sounding and looking more like politicians by the day.  And we all know what everyone thinks of them.

At least we get a say with our politicians though, Cotswold

I said it the other week, BS just aren't endearing themselves to me at all

Yeah, I said that to my mate yesterday, that made him smile!

Always got me, I should let it go, far more important things going on in the world I guess!

Anyway, who's up for doing a flag like the Standard Liege (?) fans did yesterday about one of their old players coming back with Anderlecht? I'm thinking that tosser that got Wade sent off at Swindle.....any one else seen that?? Slightly over the top, I'd back Dave L on taking that one down!

Do that and the management will stop it for inciting the crowd.  Seriously.

Have I said the situation isn't absurd? But it's clearly the use of the word 'ultras' and not the word 'ultra' and people pretending not to understand the difference just makes it look like the fans don't understand the argument and weakens the entire debate.

Most of the people watching that game would have either not noticed that flag or would have no idea what the the ultras were all about, I'm trying to highlight how ridiculous the clubs 'new' stance is. What next banning people who call themselves ultras?

Dear DL,

The sanitisation of OUR club continues, what exactly sort of fan does our club now allow ?. It is difficult to know as the goalposts continue to be moved.

The "family" club is fine but hey wake up we are the ALL Bristol City family, and it takes all sorts. It really is no wonder flags have been locked away when so many apparent conditions are put on them, will they soon need Bristol Sport emblazoned in blue on them before they can be considered?.

As for the Ultras flag its just a name that in its self represents a broad fan base of our club......so what is really wrong with that; seeing as its hardly a new thing.

Sadly its the road our club is being steered down, when do the armchairs and carpet slippers get to be delivered.

I have been a fan for 50 odd years now and both my sons have been brought up with City in their blood, by far the best visits have been in the Eastend with like minded fans, now we all feel increasingly alienated and not wanted.

You work for the "suits" so are not going to rock the boat, but really this needs to stop, this being the constant erosion of normal fans enjoyment of their Saturday matchday enjoyment.

Sad as well, the on pitch success is being nullified by the of pitch antics. :disapointed2se:

JE SUIS ULTRA

spot on.

At least we get a say with our politicians though, Cotswold

I said it the other week, BS just aren't endearing themselves to me at all

Exactly.  Where was the dialogue with the fans that agreed/decreed that our self-titled Ultras are no longer welcome, unless they merge into the rest of the crowd?

Presumably chants with the word 'Ultras' are equally unacceptable?  That would reinforce the point of principle wouldn't it?

Dear DL,

The "family" club is fine but hey wake up we are the ALL Bristol City family, and it takes all sorts. It really is no wonder flags have been locked away when so many apparent conditions are put on them, will they soon need Bristol Sport emblazoned in blue on them before they can be considered?.

Sadly its the road our club is being steered down, when do the armchairs and carpet slippers get to be delivered.

I have been a fan for 50 odd years now and both my sons have been brought up with City in their blood, by far the best visits have been in the Eastend with like minded fans, now we all feel increasingly alienated and not wanted. 

JE SUIS ULTRA

The "family club" line is also a complete load of codswallop, trotted out by many clubs when it suits them.

Every football club in the world is a "family club", as that is invariably the factor that decided which team you will support. All clubs have families that follow them, quoting it in press releases doesn't set us apart from any other club.

Most of the people watching that game would have either not noticed that flag or would have no idea what the the ultras were all about, I'm trying to highlight how ridiculous the clubs 'new' stance is. What next banning people who call themselves ultras?

I happen to think using the word Ultras, while at the same time behaving like everyone else, takes the word back and neutralises any fear or connotation it may have.

I don't personally want to refer to myself as one but it bothers me little if others do.

bris red, on 26 Jan 2015 - 2:52 PM, said:

This for me is Just another example of Bristol Sport and the powers that be subtly trying to wheedle out a certain section of the fanbase.

I find the whole thing quite worrying, i do wonder where this club is going long term to be honest.

This is true, and along with the bubble machine nonsense it makes you wonder about those in charge, especially when comments come from them about the lack of atmosphere at the ground.

The "family club" line is also a complete load of codswallop, trotted out by many clubs when it suits them.

Every football club in the world is a "family club", as that is invariably the factor that decided which team you will support. All clubs have families that follow them, quoting it in press releases doesn't set us apart from any other club.

Exactly.  It gives the club carte-blanche to do whatever they want if something 'appears' to harm the family club image they want to create.  As 'family' has such a positive connotation then you come across as a trouble maker if you want to challenge it.

Its carefully choreographed wording.  They use it all the time.

A bit like "hard-working people" as politicians would refer to.  There are no 'working' people any more, just 'hard-working'.  Word games ....

Exactly.  Where was the dialogue with the fans that agreed/decreed that our self-titled Ultras are no longer welcome, unless they merge into the rest of the crowd?

Presumably chants with the word 'Ultras' are equally unacceptable?  That would reinforce the point of principle wouldn't it?

It does seem rather odd, coming on the back of the atmosphere comment as well....was the atmosphere any better with the free scarf giveaway? It seemed quite quiet on the tv - I missed the first half hour though as I was driving up from Cornwall, and the radio reception wasn't the best

Exactly.  It gives the club carte-blanche to do whatever they want if something 'appears' to harm the family club image they want to create.  As 'family' has such a positive connotation then you come across as a trouble maker if you want to challenge it.

Its carefully choreographed wording.  They use it all the time.

A bit like "hard-working people" as politicians would refer to.  There are no 'working' people any more, just 'hard-working'.  Word games ....

I believe the only exception is the inbred moonrakers up the M4. "Family Club" has a whole other meaning where they're concerned.

I'd like to know which clubs the management are trying to emulate.

I can't think of a club which has a cuddly family stance on everything and is somewhere that away teams fear to visit because of it.

A genuine question Dave L - which club would be a good fit for Bristol City's ambition in terms of creating a family occasion and vociferous support?  I'm struggling.

If there is one then maybe we can examine exactly what they do on a match day - what is allowed, banned, encouraged, attitudes to standing etc etc.

We can't have it all ways as some things contradict the other.  That's why some people are so discontented.

Maybe Liverpool is a good fit?  Unfortunately you'd need to employ 3 people to process flag applications.

Archived