IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seems a bit pedantic by the club.

They've probably read this and panicked;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

I think they should have a read of this website :

http://www.ultrasuk.co.uk/about

Ultra groups create noise, colour, passion, and have brought stadiums to life without the violence and outside sport politics. This was, is, and always will be the aim of Ultras in the UK and what the lads in the Eastend had in mind.

Of course you are right but unfortunately the average Sunday afternoon BBC viewer has heard more about that the foreign far right hooligan group rather than the nice boys in our own Ultra group, so I can see why the club made the decision it did, wherever I agree with it or not.

I'm not sure the average armchair football fan would have the foggiest idea about ultras or the European ultra movement. My missus loves football but was nonplussed when I asked her what she thought of ultras.

This is a rather silly question and you know it. "Ultra" is a fairly generic word for something that is extreme - e g ultra short hair style. If a company called, for example, "Ultra Techno Solutions", offered to sponsor City it would not be a problem.

However, merely adding the letter "s" to the word gives it a totally different meaning. "Ultras" refers to sports fans with fanatical support. Unfortunately with many clubs this support has been violent, hence City's reluctance to use the word. Whether fans like it or not, that is the club's reasoning.

Of course it's silly that was the point. It's a silly act from the club, the word ultras is not in any way offensive to anyone, did the club recieve complaints? Why now after it's been seen for years at Ashton gate? When I first saw that flag I didn't think straight away of hooligans and far right groups and I'll wager neither did anyone else untill bristol sport stuck their size nines in.

Of course you are right but unfortunately the average Sunday afternoon BBC viewer has heard more about that the foreign far right hooligan group rather than the nice boys in our own Ultra group, so I can see why the club made the decision it did, wherever I agree with it or not.

If the average Sunday afternoon viewer is more important to the club that a loyal supporter i'd argue the club have got it's priorities wrong.

I'd be amazed if a random viewer suddenly thought bristol city were a racist club based on a flag it is likely that you can hardly read from the TV ...

Interesting chat about the meaning of Ultras and the saniistation of football.

I have attached some pictures of the Boro Red Faction, their version of Ultras and as you can see they are very far from being right wing.

In fact in a City like Middlesboro you would not get far very far if you were.

The Red Faction have used their numbers to march for positive causes as well as supporting their team.

I am an Exeter Cuty fan who has live in Bristol for 25 years and my son has supported City since childhood, as i am determined he support the club of his birth city.

However , as a season ticket holder he has become slightly worried about the general atmosphere and way some supporters are being frozen out.

I hold back from too many opinions about Bristol City , but i am also alarmed at the way football in general is losingtouch with it's roots.post-8596-0-50091600-1422292225_thumb.jppost-8596-0-64022400-1422292304.jpg

If the average Sunday afternoon viewer is more important to the club that a loyal supporter i'd argue the club have got it's priorities wrong.

I'd be amazed if a random viewer suddenly thought bristol city were a racist club based on a flag it is likely that you can hardly read from the TV ...

He's trying to re-brand us and make us appealing to the current non-attenders. The vast middle class, non-Bristolians who habitate the region.

We need the populous of the region on board, we really do. What I want though, is a football club full of pride and it's own identity. Not a load of sheeple swinging scarves around their heads because they have been told too. It's not original, it's embarrassingly compliant and generic. It's a stupid x-factor style football brand.

If SL can finally internalise the issues here and the unique opportunity this is, then the sky's the limit!

The city flag with ultras on it has nothing whatsoever to do with foreign far right hooligan groups so why would it be banned?

It's total bollocks

That may be so but its because of the association with the word "ultra's". Nothing more.

It would reflect City in a negative light and the club were right to take the action they did.

That may be so but its because of the association with the word "ultra's". Nothing more.

It would reflect City in a negative light and the club were right to take the action they did.

Would you say Crystal Palace's use of the 'ultra' concept portrays them in a negative light? 

I wish I could get to every game just like you regular fans, i would have to travel thousands of miles which is not possible very often for me, i haven't got the luxury of being able to support my home team at AG like most of you on this forum can, but i am sure that If i did I wouldn't be worried if any flag supporting City was on display as long as it was not offensive or racist. Different people have different views about these issues and therefore it would be impossible to please everyone. From watching this forum regularly, it seems to me that as the team is having it's best season for many years and there is not much to complain about on the field, that it seems to me that this forum is looking elsewhere to find something to complain about all the time. i don't agree with everything that BS do, but if that is their decision then it has to be accepted, personally I think if the game had not been on National and International TV the flag would have been allowed to stay. But. Hey, that's just my opinion, what would I know.

Sorry mate but that stinks of sell out just like those Malaysia red dragons.

If any decision made is detrimental to our club, then it must be challenged.

No matter how big or how small any issue may seem to some, it is important to protect, stand and fight against the cancer that is modern football.

The cock ups these planks have made in just the last couple of weeks are such a worrying sign of the direction they intend on taking our club and if people bury their heads in the sand, claiming we are just looking for something to moan about then I fear the Cardiff style sell out is already well and truly under way.

For the love and future of our club, for the sake of protecting our values , opinions and history and most important of all, for the future generations and longevity of BCFC as it was , stand up and fight against this plastic franchised direction they are insistent on pushing us.

AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL

CITY AS ****

It does, but then there are lots of things about Palace that portrays a negative light.

But taking my irrational hatred of anything to do with palace, they've made that corner of the ground superb and regularly get praised for it on tv etc

They let divvy into the changing room with a CSF tshirt ..... Strange change of stance by the club

Was going to post similar. They weren't bothered with that t shirt gracing the pages of many newspapers. Or perhaps that was because the associated publicity was to city's advantage and most people on a national scale would have no understanding of the CSF connotation?

Big Brother Bristol Sport is watching us.

I find this Ultra offensive and discriminatory.

Today it's "Ultra".

Tomorrow it'll be some other word....like "Ciderheads".

Ridiculous? ...........Nothing surprises me anymore.

Exactly, how long before they start banning "East End" because of the association with what happened in the 70's?

This smacks of all those liberals who want Bristol to apologise for misdemeanour's going back hundreds of years.

We are a family club who welcome everyone to Ashton Gate, young and old, and encourages support in all its varied forms, providing it stays within the law.

For that reason, the word 'Ultras' has no place at Ashton Gate.

A sensible approach or sanitisation of football gone made? You'll guess from the thread title which camp I'm in.

Bullshit Sport wriggle out of bubblegate but go on to claim that the word ultra is illegal.

Excelling themselves aren't they.

It does, but then there are lots of things about Palace that portrays a negative light.

Well I've watched palace on the box and without fail the commentators be it sky or bbc praise the atmosphere generated by the palace fans and more than once I've heard references to the palace ultras on tv. Seems bristol sport are more sensitive than the big tv company's.

the highlighted bit, the word ultra isn't offensive, I think of passion first then the far right only after you've read up about it,

Complete and utter shit call from the club, its a flag it's been on display for a long time in the east end with out problems,

There is more offensive chanting then there is in this one flag,

Just out of interest, where would you read up on it? I'm not having a pop at all, just interested to see if where you/people are reading up on it refers to there being PLENTY and I mean PLENTY of left-wing Ultras across the world, too. Wondered if, once you had thought, passion ... then far right ... if you then thought left-leaning?

Am genuinely interested.

Bristol Sport seriously need to sort it out. If they cross the line, and it's looking increasingly likely that they will, then they are gonna have a war on their hands. We are not a fanbase to sit down and take it like Cardiff!

Correct, we have to lay down a marker with this sort of thing. They are showing us a total disregard at the moment and are playing a dangerous game.

Archived