IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thing with the rovers they have been kicking off all over the place last season, even trying to punch a player in the goal net (this season?) and there was their pitch invasion when relegated so it was going to provoke problems as all derbys around the country have done but it has nothing to do with the word ultra never has and never will.

Post Rovers match flags in the Eastend still featured the word Ultra. On matchday while the flags were in place the stand would undergo a safety inspection. A large banner featuring the word Ultra would have been clearly in sight.

Did the flag start a fight with a flag with a Pirate on it?

Did the flag incite anyone to cause problems that night?

Did the flag start a song about getting on the pitch?

Did the flag run down the steps and do the Gareth Hunt at the R*vers fan when JET slammed in that beauty?

If the answer to the above is all 'no' then, as Cotswold said, I'd like to see more proof and reasonings behind why the flag was removed on Sunday. Please

Quoting the Rovers match is nothing short of ridiculous! This shows that there is no logical reason to banning the word 'Ultra'. 

That banner was used in many games after the rovers game. 

Ridiculous, also its a shame that Dave L has to feed back the utter tripe that the board is giving to him. 

We all know the real reason, we were on TV, if we weren't no-one would have cared, why don't they just say that!

I think we deserve a better explanation than the one given.

I want to see a clearer outline of the evidence they used. I think they are jumping to conclusions here.

I bet many of those who caused trouble wore hats. Are we banning those too?

Until the club are more transparent and a little less draconian then I will see this as a decision based on opportunity and convenience.

I think you are bang on there Cotswold.One incident in all the years the EastEnd was reopened,forget all the positive efforts from fan groups.How very convenient.No offense meant Dave but that seems very weak.Definitely smacks of clutching at straws.

Did the flag start a fight with a flag with a Pirate on it?

Did the flag incite anyone to cause problems that night?

Did the flag start a song about getting on the pitch?

Did the flag run down the steps and do the Gareth Hunt at the R*vers fan when JET slammed in that beauty?

If the answer to the above is all 'no' then, as Cotswold said, I'd like to see more proof and reasonings behind why the flag was removed on Sunday. Please

Versus Rovers there were less flags in the stand, from memory it is hard to remember which flags were used. Post Rovers match flags featuring Ultra [there are numerous] were back in the Eastend, no concerns were raised.

I expect the "suits" winced at "does your boyfriend know you're here", "stand up if you hate the Gas" etc. But they are part of terrace culture and if people purport to be part of running a football club they will have to accept it.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the poll says it all. 80% of supporters think the club has got it wrong on the Ultra issue. I hope Dave Lloyd will feed the overwhelming feeling back to the decision takers.

The poll doesn't say that 80% of supporters think the club has got it wrong. At the time of posting this, 183 people have said the club has got it wrong. That's far less than 1% of the fan base. These 183 people may have valid points to make to the club but they are not 80% of the fan base. The majority of fans have no interest in the forum and haven't a clue that this debate is taking place.

On a separate note, I can't understand why City fans want to be called Ultras. For years the Gas have been given abuse because they couldn't think of a name for themselves. They had to choose one created by City supporters. So why not be original and stick with a unique City name such as "East Enders" (though that does sound like an awful TV programme)

Funny thing is when the problems started with the city and rovers game the East end was not involved and was praised for their restraint by police and the club.

Fans came out of other stands on to the pitch that caused the trouble so a flag with Eastend ultras in the Eastend was not connected with any trouble.

I think you are bang on there Cotswold.One incident in all the years the EastEnd was reopened,forget all the positive efforts from fan groups.How very convenient.No offense meant Dave but that seems very weak.Definitely smacks of clutching at straws.

i'm in full agreement,

keep pushing (in the right way), they need to reslove this,

as I said in an earlier post the club dealt with that trouble, those who went to court got a football banning order, and of those who happened to be city fans they got a life time ban from ashton gate,

It was dealt with and it shouldn't used as an excuse for sensorship,

Versus Rovers there were less flags in the stand, from memory it is hard to remember which flags were used. Post Rovers match flags featuring Ultra [there are numerous] were back in the Eastend, no concerns were raised.

What a surprise, WTMS - the flags had nothing to do with any violence that evening

Who'd have thunked it?

The poll doesn't say that 80% of supporters think the club has got it wrong. At the time of posting this, 183 people have said the club has got it wrong. That's far less than 1% of the fan base. These 183 people may have valid points to make to the club but they are not 80% of the fan base. The majority of fans have no interest in the forum and haven't a clue that this debate is taking place.

On a separate note, I can't understand why City fans want to be called Ultras. For years the Gas have been given abuse because they couldn't think of a name for themselves. They had to choose one created by City supporters. So why not be original and stick with a unique City name such as "East Enders" (though that does sound like an awful TV programme)

It's still a good sample as there's quite a range of ages on here. Also, the people voting the other way - there's always fans of other clubs who vote the opposite way for a laugh. In actuality it's probably more like 85-90% in agreement.

It was 80% of respondents at the time I posted that, Pongo. I suspect if you asked all 12,000+ at AG on Sunday you'd get an even more emphatic response.

I'm not one to snipe and gripe at those running the club, but in this case I think they've got it wrong. Ultra in English football does not equate to the Italian or South American meaning of the word.

David Lloyd's reply in the Q&A section is farcical, it's completely contradictory and further proves that he & the club are way pity of touch with the supporters of Bristol City Football Club, a historically passionate and vociferous support base.

The sanitisation of Ashton Gate started a long time back but this is simply disgusting; the fact that we now are dictated to by an umbrella organisation, answering to Bristol Sport, not Bristol City is a step too far.

Bristol Sport as an organisation are focused on the success of the Basketball, Rugby & Football Clubs equally (that's the impression I get) does that mean that money that traditionally would have been spent at the football club (BCFC) is now spread across the monopoly?

Or does it mean that Bristol Sport is harbouring dreams of emulating the success of the likes of Bracelona (as he talked about on TV pre match), if so then unless mega, mega bucks are spent at Bristol Sport then the success & clamour that SL talked about is absolute pie in the sky.

I'm not in anyway trying to cast a negative shadow of the ideology of Bristol Sport, as in theory it means prosperity and positivity for the city & people of Bristol, which obviously is fantastic, I'd just like a little clarity of where as a football club we stand.

I'd like to think that Bristol Sport is a Pyramid and we sit at the top, with the other sporting clubs that make up the monopoly lying underneath us, I'm just not sure that's how it is, as it maybe far easier to create a successful Rugby/Basketball/Darts/tiddlywinks team than it is to get us in the premier league!

Whatever's happening, Bristol Sport are obviously commited to making a success of it, however at what price, are we going to have to bend over like Cardiff etc- If so then Im out- let's hope that this whole "ultra gate" fiasco was just an over cautious "one off" and not the powers that be opening the pot of KY Jelly for the sanitised bumming that's about to happen!

David Lloyd's reply in the Q&A section is farcical, it's completely contradictory and further proves that he & the club are way pity of touch with the supporters of Bristol City Football Club, a historically passionate and vociferous support base.

The sanitisation of Ashton Gate started a long time back but this is simply disgusting; the fact that we now are dictated to by an umbrella organisation, answering to Bristol Sport, not Bristol City is a step too far.

Bristol Sport as an organisation are focused on the success of the Basketball, Rugby & Football Clubs equally (that's the impression I get) does that mean that money that traditionally would have been spent at the football club (BCFC) is now spread across the monopoly?

Or does it mean that Bristol Sport is harbouring dreams of emulating the success of the likes of Bracelona (as he talked about on TV pre match), if so then unless mega, mega bucks are spent at Bristol Sport then the success & clamour that SL talked about is absolute pie in the sky.

I'm not in anyway trying to cast a negative shadow of the ideology of Bristol Sport, as in theory it means prosperity and positivity for the city & people of Bristol, which obviously is fantastic, I'd just like a little clarity of where as a football club we stand.

I'd like to think that Bristol Sport is a Pyramid and we sit at the top, with the other sporting clubs that make up the monopoly lying underneath us, I'm just not sure that's how it is, as it maybe far easier to create a successful Rugby/Basketball/Darts/tiddlywinks team than it is to get us in the premier league!

"ultra gate" fiasco was just an over cautious "one off" 

You could say it was ultra cautious.

Seems like BS desperately want an atmosphere but don't like the type of fans who would generate it.

Think of BS's response if they heard something like this.....

In the meantime, they're wanting to ban the word "Ultra" because of trouble against Rovers, so what next? Banning anybody who isn't wearing a replica shirt and is in Stone Island or Burberry?

On the plus side, at least it might be easier to come up with a new name for the South Stand bar area, how about "room 101" !!

In fairness, in his pre-match interview SL did say that Bristol City were at "the fulcrum" of Bristol Sport...

funny enough Ross Kemp last week, his show was on the civil war in the ukraine, the ultras (far right racist whack jobs) formed a battlion to fight the russian sepratists because the ukraine armed forces were woefully under-equipped,

there are various articles around when I get home tonight I'll track some down and post them, if you haven't see the ross kemp thing then go ahead, very eye opening about that civil war

I always like your posts, Monkeh (love-in alert).

Glad you replied.

I've seen a fair bit of football in Italy and France, stood on curve  and behind les buts here and there (Verona, Marseille, Napoli...) and whilst it's mostly Lazio's fault that ULTRA and right-wing are lumped together, just a wee bit of nous and first-hand experience tells you it's nowhere near as simple as all that.

Even so called right-wing or left-wing ULTRA groups are a mixed bag.

And when we say right-wing, I've stayed with friends in Verona, alla casa di mamma, and they had a huge framed photo of Mussolini on the wall. To GB eyes, my eyes, that was a slap in the wassname as I walked in. But there was almost next-to-nothing right wing about the family, the butei, the boys & girls I met. The family - esp the older generation - just revered him, a little like we do Gerry Gow, say (please don't reply, everyone, asking if I'm comparing the two!!). They have almost forgotten what he stood for.

Within any group there are a variety of opinions and political leanings and to just bandy the words fascist and racist about in the same sentence as ULTRA is beyond naive, unfortunately, but also symptomatic of people's readily-formed preconceptions. But that's Bristol Sport for you! We knew it was a bad idea!

Sit down with 10 'East End Ultras' and you'd most likely find 10 differing opinions on politics, foreigners, history, society, benefits, the NHS, Chrissy Waddle's haircut (no, not that one) and team selection...

Life is so rarely as simple as black & white. ULTRA means so many things. It's appallingly lazy to just equate that word and the worst of human behaviour (showing myself up as a Leftie here).

Be interested to see what you've got in terms of links.

I'm up for singing, "We are the ULTRAS! We are the ULTRAS! We are the ULTRAS Ashton Gate!" at every available opportunity on Thurs and Sun.

Or we could do a flag with ALTRUS written on it. See if they ban that!

Funny thing is when the problems started with the city and rovers game the East end was not involved and was praised for their restraint by police and the club.

Fans came out of other stands on to the pitch that caused the trouble so a flag with Eastend ultras in the Eastend was not connected with any trouble.

This shows DL`s reply as complete tosh and really quite depressing; I am over the moon by the manager and squads performance but DL and co seem determined to strangle the life blood out of this our club.

Why cant some fans see whats going on here? the broom is out and anything and everything will be swept aside if its not part of the newbies vision. :facepalm:  :disapointed2se:  :reaper:

How often have nearly 80% of people on this forum agreed on a subject ?

Bubbles.

Personally think BS were massively over sensitive to this flag, being televised etc. Wrong decision.

Neither do I think it means we have been taken over by Tan, the heart of the club has been lost for ever, and we need to order the hearse just yet.

Crap decision over a pretty trivial matter.

Funny thing is when the problems started with the city and rovers game the East end was not involved and was praised for their restraint by police and the club. Very valid point CH.Without wishing to point fingers I seem to remember many fans coming over from the front of the Dolman to confront the Rovers fans.Dave L,would it be possible for the powers that be to review the footage of the trouble and give am honest verdict of how much the EastEnders were involved?

quote]

Disagree, I think that as 1 out of 4 people found this inappropriate then surely it proves Bristol Sport was correct? 

Why would they now find it inappropriate when it has been a regular fixture at games for quite a few years?

Even featured in the Well Red programme, seems a bit of a overreaction and another step to sanitisation in my book.

Archived