IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought a programme on Sunday and haven't really looked at it again until now. I don't very often buy a programme so I don't know if this is here every time or not, but on page 7 (of the Official club programme) there is a from the Boardroom section written by John Pelling. This is accompanied by photograph of a flag, 'Bristol City Football club, H Block Band Cider Army' right at the top of the flag it reads ' H Block Drum N Bass ON THE WAR PATH'

How the hell did this get passed? Surely the act of war carries more connotations than anything Ultra?

On the flip side has anyone contacted the club asking about it other then on here?

If they haven't the club won't feel a need to respond officially

And that is a valid point, Monkeh - but I'm sure they are aware of this site, the comments about the 'lack of atmosphere' and I'd bet any money they are reading it to gauge opinion on the flag too

And that is a valid point, Monkeh - but I'm sure they are aware of this site, the comments about the 'lack of atmosphere' and I'd bet any money they are reading it to gauge opinion on the flag too

I'm with you but some times people won't make an official comment until pressed

• SC&T Board Members

I'm with you but some times people won't make an official comment until pressed

The Supporters Club & Trust is already in dialogue with BCFC / BS executives about this specific issue and will be discussing it more fully with them after publication of the survey results in the context of stadium atmosphere in general and their / supporters' visions for the future culture of the club.

In the meantime, the survey is now just 30 responses short of being what we believe will be the biggest online survey of City fans ever. It closes at midnight on Thursday, so if you've not done so already, now is the time to complete it >> Click here

The Supporters Club & Trust is already in dialogue with BCFC / BS executives about this specific issue and will be discussing it more fully with them after publication of the survey results in the context of stadium atmosphere in general and their / supporters' visions for the future culture of the club.

In the meantime, the survey is now just 30 responses short of being what we believe will be the biggest online survey of City fans ever. It closes at midnight on Thursday, so if you've not done so already, now is the time to complete it >> Click here

Might as well put the thread to bed til then, we'll end up going over old ground

End of the day, seeing fans express their love for their club in a more energetic atmospheric way is excellent to see. Galatasaray, Napoli etc spring to mind straight away, it's wonderful to see and brings a whole different dimension to supporting their club. Those who decide to sit quietly can do so.

Galatasaray are a model for us?  Seriously? 

What do you think Leeds fans would think of that?

No it's about some ignorant exec's arse twitching with steve in the stand.

'The values of Bristol sport'. So they are making rules up as they go along now.

I suppose the big question is - and I think we already know the answer to this - would the flag have been removed had the bbc cameras not been there?

Given they haven't been removed previously, then quite obviously no.

The club liaison was present at a meeting [2008?] where ideas via Forza Eastend were discussed. He may have forgotten what those ideas were linked to - An anglicized version of the positive aspects of Ultra. No objection was made, or any link to the far right provided.

That link is present not just in one flag but in artwork, badges, flag days, Ernie, stickers, tattoos, websites ... Including a sticker the clubs commercial department copied from a fans stencil - The Flying Murray.

That is all part of that anglicized /Westcountryfied [!} version of the positive aspects of Ultra.

Where do people think the chant "Forza Eastenders ... " comes from? Willem II and the Kingside. A club who have fans who could be considered Ultra.

BS - BCFC may want to sort out further their narrative to include fans chants and other imagery, or think we were daft, sorry we got that wrong.

I think the ultra/forza/Eastend movement is being suppressed because the club can't brand it and make money off it like they think they can with this Bristol sport nonsense.

Remember those CAF Tshirts? same thing with those, the fans bought into an idea that didn't come from the club so they tried to kill it.

Control freaks basically looking to maximise revenue and stamp out originality.

Ok if they are going to get that sensitive about words then maybe it can be perceived that the sail ship on the club crest has a linked history to slave trade or others will think it is just Bristols past trade, sail ship not part of brunel steam era.

I know which i see it as and the perception is there.

(Taken from a history website)..

The various elements that make up the arms mean something. The oldest part, the ship and castle, are pretty obvious.. other elements not so much. The unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue, hence the unicorns are seant (seated) rather than rampant (rearing up on their hind legs). The arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above - which is why the arms are rising out of a cloud.

The unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue:: how true is that in the new corporate world of football.

As were at it rebrand the colston hall and pull down the statue of colston in the city center.

http://brisray.com/bristol/bsal1.htm

http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Bristol

All sound silly? dam right...

I've always been uncomfortable with fans using the word Leveller at my club, if I'm honest because I certainly do associate it with people with radical left wing tendencies in UK society, and those who want a stateless autonomous society based on anarchist principles. So for that reason I say ban.

I don't like censorship generally, but I'd ban the colour black etc - and this has similar connotations for me.

See how crass that sounds. Even the word crass has an extreme libertarian and political connection.

"crass" after Marcus Licinius Crassus, who bankrolled Julius Caesar in his bid to overthrow the Roman Republic and introduce a dictatorship. Fascist!

"crass" after Marcus Licinius Crassus, who bankrolled Julius Caesar in his bid to overthrow the Roman Republic and introduce a dictatorship. Fascist!

Which highlights how words are taken out of context. Crass will mean to some Eve Libertine and Penny Rimbaud who on a political compass are more pacifist, philosophical and libertarian than Ghandi.

Individuals have taken a word out of context - Ultra.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167383-ultras/

This really is crass to the point of being illusionary. Bad publicity, bad pr, and all from fans wishing to be positive.

was thinking more something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdGCj4TTyI

Let's not dare use liverpool for any comparisons either. What do you think Juventus fans would think of that?

What do you think they would?  

Or what do you think Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Dortmund, Besitkas would think of us modelling ourselves on Galatasaray?

If you want to start changing people's mindsets about the atmosphere that can be generated and how it can be done suggesting that we emulate one of the most violent sets of fans in Europe isn't a good place to start.

Building on the examples of Crystal Palace and Middlesborough to show what can be done in a UK environment are better starting points.

These latest comments from Dave Lloyd and the club is nothing more than shocking and embarrassing. I have just about had enough of it all.

Basically the club are saying that the most passionate singing supporters who have supported this club over the years, are nothing more than hooligans and that includes the woman and children. What happened to the club supporting us to generate an atmosphere? We have been cheering on the club for many years now and some of the football we put up with was dreadful but still we attended every game. We would try our best to cheer on the boys and help them perform better through atmosphere, Steve Lansdown even came on the pitch to praise this.

As for the Rovers game, this was down to bad police policies, poor stewarding and the new safety officer who didn't know what he was doing. Ever since he has arrived there has been nothing more than bad grapes with us. Why in hell did the Avon & Somerset police allow the Rovers fans make there own way to the game? Even though they knew the history between us, why was it not a bubble game? Everyone knew there would be trouble before the game and there was, strange decision, why did the club agree to it? Why was there not enough police and stewards before the end of the game pitch side in front of the fans? There was hardly anyone there to stop them coming on the pitch. My first thoughts are that the fans were coming on to celebrate the win with the players, but many fans coming from the Williams, Dolman and from the East end turned their attention to the Rovers. Why did they allow the Rovers fans to leave at the same time as city fans at the end of the game? Very poor decision again whoever was in charge of that. Of course Dave Lloyd only hears one side of the story and blames us (east enders) for everything that happens and not down to poor policing and stewarding. I am just sick of it all.

I am not a hooligan, I have never been associated with any hooligan groups and never will.

In protest I will not be attending the Gillingham game or if we make it to Wembley, as I am a passionate singing fan I may get classed as a hooligan.

Anyone who thinks there will be a singing section after the Williams has been redeveloped had better think again.

P.s. I have actually considered going down the Farm to watch me football now.

As for the Rovers game, this was down to bad police policies, poor stewarding and the new safety officer who didn't know what he was doing.

This is what saddens me and what I believe leads to the club removing flags that can cause offence. Instead of condeming fans who cause the trouble, people blame the police and the stewards. The bubble was removed because the hope was there that these games could generate a family atmosphere and pass of without incident. Foolish concept I know!

This is what saddens me and what I believe leads to the club removing flags that can cause offence. Instead of condeming fans who cause the trouble, people blame the police and the stewards. The bubble was removed because the hope was there that these games could generate a family atmosphere and pass of without incident. Foolish concept I know!

A bristol Derby will never have a "family atmosphere" and I hope it never does.

Archived