IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

These latest comments from Dave Lloyd and the club is nothing more than shocking and embarrassing. I have just about had enough of it all.

Basically the club are saying that the most passionate singing supporters who have supported this club over the years, are nothing more than hooligans and that includes the woman and children. What happened to the club supporting us to generate an atmosphere? We have been cheering on the club for many years now and some of the football we put up with was dreadful but still we attended every game. We would try our best to cheer on the boys and help them perform better through atmosphere, Steve Lansdown even came on the pitch to praise this.

As for the Rovers game, this was down to bad police policies, poor stewarding and the new safety officer who didn't know what he was doing. Ever since he has arrived there has been nothing more than bad grapes with us. Why in hell did the Avon & Somerset police allow the Rovers fans make there own way to the game? Even though they knew the history between us, why was it not a bubble game? Everyone knew there would be trouble before the game and there was, strange decision, why did the club agree to it? Why was there not enough police and stewards before the end of the game pitch side in front of the fans? There was hardly anyone there to stop them coming on the pitch. My first thoughts are that the fans were coming on to celebrate the win with the players, but many fans coming from the Williams, Dolman and from the East end turned their attention to the Rovers. Why did they allow the Rovers fans to leave at the same time as city fans at the end of the game? Very poor decision again whoever was in charge of that. Of course Dave Lloyd only hears one side of the story and blames us (east enders) for everything that happens and not down to poor policing and stewarding. I am just sick of it all.

I am not a hooligan, I have never been associated with any hooligan groups and never will.

In protest I will not be attending the Gillingham game or if we make it to Wembley, as I am a passionate singing fan I may get classed as a hooligan.

Anyone who thinks there will be a singing section after the Williams has been redeveloped had better think again.

P.s. I have actually considered going down the Farm to watch me football now.

:sub:

And then you wonder why your Ultra flag gets removed :facepalm:

He has a point, C. Big city derbies never have a "family atmosphere" - except possibly the Liverpool derby. I happened to be in Sheffield once for a Utd v Wednesday match and it was like being in Damascus or something!*

That's not to condone it, just to accept reality of the situation, which is what the clubs and police should've done.

* OK slight exaggeration. Parts of Damascus are probably quite safe.

I'm saying that you should be able to go to a football match without having to fear getting your head kicked in!

Don't fall into the BS trap - a hostile atmosphere inside the ground doesn't have to mean getting your head kicked in. I've been to many Bristol Derbies, and Cardiff / Swindon etc games and not got into any trouble

Stockport away, however, I got in a whole world of trouble

Those that want it can find it, those that don't (Ultra flag, or not) won't

Well I've attended dozens if football matches and never come close to having my head kicked in.

Should've seen the other lot though...;-)

I've been watching City for 40 years and neither have I, however coming out of Ashton Gate on Sunday I saw a family clad in West Ham colours getting verbally abused and they certainly looked like they thought it could happen to them!

I've been watching City for 40 years and neither have I, however coming out of Ashton Gate on Sunday I saw a family clad in West Ham colours getting verbally abused and they certainly looked like they thought it could happen to them!

Blimey! They must've been the only visitors wearing colours.

I thought the Iron must play in black leather and navy blue sweatshirts these days, judging by the away section.

Sad if that happened. I found the atmosphere around AG to be happy and celebratory on Sunday.  As I've mentioned, I trained it back from London and had a good chat with the few West Ham who were on said choo-choo.

But is that the first time you've seen that happen in 40 years of going? I would doubt that very much

It shouldn't happen, but it does. I don't know how you stop it, but I'm sure it doesn't involve taking flags down. Although I'm not sure BS will care, as long as it doesn't happen in the stadium

It's a funny thing! I have never in my 50 years of supporting this club not once thought of it as having a political wing or association...Yes there is or has been a rough crowd particularly since the early 70's (Bristol is a big City) but the fighting and defending of territory has not been a huge problem for years, except in a few isolated incidents Millwall/Cardiff/NLBR being the exceptions

The word Ultra in this context has no tangible political or racist connotation that I can see or know about and as far as I can tell does not represent a far left/right/hooligan element. It does seem to represent a few passionate middle aged supporters, anyone care to put me right if I am off base here!

CSF have been around for Donkey's years and with the greatest respect to all, one of it's 'members' rightly has Icon status at this club and amongst its fans a true City legend!

I understand the club not wanting to be seen to have a national TV association with what the casual observer might see to be extremism and as such they do have the right to remove what they feel shows the club in a marginal light...

My thought would be (unpopular with the club maybe) that take the flag on away trips....But stay out of trouble!!...Proving that the stereotype is false at our club! 

A greater issue is the accusations and rhetoric meted out to the board of directors of BCFC and Bristol Sport which is uncalled for and the borderline nastiness directed at officials and employees of the club (and as often the case toward other posters)!....Thus OTIB has reaped what it has sown and has marginalized itself! 

A greater issue is the accusations and rhetoric meted out to the board of directors of BCFC and Bristol Sport which is uncalled for and the borderline nastiness directed at officials and employees of the club (and as often the case toward other posters)!....Thus OTIB has reaped what it has sown and has marginalized itself!

The posters here are still the same people visiting AG.  Ignoring OTIB won't make the problems disappear.

The management may feel they have the moral high ground but they will also reap what they sow if they think ignoring OTIB is part of the answer.

It's a funny thing! I have never in my 50 years of supporting this club not once thought of it as having a political wing or association...Yes there is or has been a rough crowd particularly since the early 70's (Bristol is a big City) but the fighting and defending of territory has not been a huge problem for years, except in a few isolated incidents Millwall/Cardiff/NLBR being the exceptions

The word Ultra in this context has no tangible political or racist connotation that I can see or know about and as far as I can tell does not represent a far left/right/hooligan element. It does seem to represent a few passionate middle aged supporters, anyone care to put me right if I am off base here!

CSF have been around for Donkey's years and with the greatest respect to all, one of it's 'members' rightly has Icon status at this club and amongst its fans a true City legend!

I understand the club not wanting to be seen to have a national TV association with what the casual observer might see to be extremism and as such they do have the right to remove what they feel shows the club in a marginal light...

My thought would be (unpopular with the club maybe) that take the flag on away trips....But stay out of trouble!!...Proving that the stereotype is false at our club! 

Very well put Redoxo. And I believe that OTIB will be the poorer for the lack of a voice from the club. Time was when SL was on here...

Why? Are they above criticism? We have had three events in quick decision that have caused a lot of anger.

Billingham picking the Doncaster game to bitch about the atmosphere would be funny if not for the fact that he clearly knows nothing about football, which is a bit of a worry.

The bubble machine blatant  U-turn, but not having the balls to admit it, censorship and to top it off Dave has a hissy fit and does one. 

On the pitch we're looking Championship, off it we're looking Downs League.

Isn't that exactly how polls work though? You take a sample of the target audience then extrapolate?

It's often said on here that OTIB doesn't represent the views of the wider fanbase, but IMO the opposite is true.

Sure, but for a poll from a sample to be representative of a wider group of people the sample would have to reflect the make up of the larger group. I would be surprised if the users of OTIB contain the same proportion of older, younger, male and female fans as the wider fan base, that's all. 

And I'd say that some groups of OTIB users post more frequently than others about things that concern them greatly, and about which most fans know and care very little. Which would mean that OTIB gives an unrepresentative view of fans opinion as a whole. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with those views themselves.

Isn't that exactly how polls work though? You take a sample of the target audience then extrapolate?

It's often said on here that OTIB doesn't represent the views of the wider fanbase, but IMO the opposite is true.

It's not going to be an accurate sample though.   The demographic of people who use internet messageboards is not representative of the population as a whole.  And there's plenty of evidence that, even where it is, the internet tends to push people towards more extreme views than they'd otherwise have.  I voted no in the poll as I think the club misjudged this but I certainly wouldn't imagine that this poll means a representative proportion of the fans feel the same way as on here.  Plus you've got to factor in that the people who care about keeping the flag are far more likely to vote than people who don't care either way.  (Which I suspect is actually the genuine view of the majority of fans if everyone voted.)

Why? Are they above criticism? We have had three events in quick decision that have caused a lot of anger.

Billingham picking the Doncaster game to bitch about the atmosphere would be funny if not for the fact that he clearly knows nothing about football, which is a bit of a worry.

The bubble machine blatant  U-turn, but not having the balls to admit it, censorship and to top it off Dave has a hissy fit and does one. 

On the pitch we're looking Championship, off it we're looking Downs League.

I'm not sure about the first Why! However to answer your question, people are rarely above criticism, whether they post on here or are employees or officials of the club.

Reading the hundreds/thousands of posts on here over a number of years regarding SL JL DL CS et al many are accusations, with little or no foundation, often bordering on libelous (which OTIB forum mods have had to remind us of on many occasions)  and have had the precise effect, that in many cases the people who make them, complain about....A disconnect between supporters and the FC 

This disconnect has just been made wider as the fans Liaison is no longer going to submit himself to faceless attack and the club clearly support that notion (SL himself no longer posts here for the same reason and this board no longer has a link from the club website)...Thus OTIB as a forum is even more marginalized by itself.

If criticism is justified in my experience the club have tried to do something about it, with varying degrees of success.

From where I sit I see constant digs, barbs, out right nastiness pervading throughout the forum and even someone who has as thick a skin as me has snapped recently.....In this case I choose to continue to come on here in DL and SL cases they don't and who can blame them! 

Reading the hundreds/thousands of posts on here over a number of years regarding SL JL DL CS et al many are accusations, with little or no foundation, often bordering on libelous (which OTIB forum mods have had to remind us of on many occasions) and have had the precise effect, that in many cases the people who make them, complain about....A disconnect between supporters and the FC

This disconnect has just been made wider as the fans Liaison is no longer going to submit himself to faceless attack and the club clearly support that notion (SL himself no longer posts here for the same reason and this board no longer has a link from the club website)...Thus OTIB as a forum is even more marginalized by itself.

If criticism is justified in my experience the club have tried to do something about it, with varying degrees of success.

From where I sit I see constant digs, barbs, out right nastiness pervading throughout the forum and even someone who has as thick a skin as me has snapped recently.....In this case I choose to continue to come on here in DL and SL cases they don't and who can blame them!

Bad internet! You must sit on the naughty step for a couple of mega bites.

Archived