IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That is your opinion, probably based upon your own personal opinion on the matter.

For what it is worth I think the stance is wrong and misplaced, but DL provided the reasoning behind why they have adopted that approach. Whether that reasoning& has merit is another debate, but it does sum up exactly why the club took the approach.

No it was based upon the flag owners comments -

"it was never a problem before , in fact 5 years ago in fairness to the club they bent over backwards to get the flag measured to drill hooks in the wall so it could be hung properly !!!"

And seeing the flag in the ground evidence.

BS arrive and now a flag is connected to fascism. The comments do not sum up a startling change in policy from good to more than silly.

The real problem is that the decision was almost certainly based on ignorance and assumption by the club about the word 'ultra' and it's connotation with football violence and right wing beliefs.

I often watch Lorient in French prem league, Lorient is a fishing/naval port city about the size of Weston and their nickname is les merlus (the hakes, if you will) and have a group called les merlus ultras (the hake ultras) let me put it this way in the words of Harry Hill "who would win in fight between 'the hake ultras' and a shoal of real hake", my money will always be on the shoal of hake and I suspect that the shoal of hake are more right wing as well.

The club need somebody with their finger on pulse of football culture that they can turn to in making these life changing decisions.

I've mixed views on this.  On the one hand, I think it's a bit daft from the club given the self-appointed hardcore fan bases of several UK clubs use the word 'ultras' these days.  On the other hand, I'm not really sure why so-many self-appointed hardcore fan bases have adopted it in recent years, or why our fans felt compelled to follow suit.

Firstly, as with JM91, I'm always suspicious of groups that try to appoint themselves as the 'true passionate hardcore fans' as it does seem to have the hidden suffix 'and the rest you aren't as genuine or passionate as us'.  Secondly certainly the first time I heard the word 'ultras' was in relation to hardcore fan clubs in Italy and in the context of their links to crowd violence and fascism.  Nowadays I just hear it in relation to UK fans but, whilst I may be wrong I'm pretty sure it was barely used in that context until a few years ago when PDC got in trouble for the fascist salute and then various fan groups seemed to quite like the word 'ultras' and start adopting it.  Which firstly seems a bit odd in why there was a scramble to use a word that was already introduced to the UK in the context of extremism and fascism and secondly the need to adopt the name 'ultras' seems a bit of a 'borrowed from the continent as a manufactured way to make us feel like the real fans' sort of thing.  

So basically I don't think the club should stop people using the word 'ultras' but I probably wouldn't really encourage anyone to adopt it as a moniker for themselves either. 

Surely now a matter of time until all reference to 'Bristol' itself is removed from our name and any branding that may be visible to a TV audience.

After all, there is a proven and established connection between the City of Bristol and the trading and ill-treatment of slaves. I'm sure BCFC would like to make it clear that it rejects any such association.

Such a decision could well generate a long and passionate response from some supporters, claiming that modern day Bristol has no connection with those groups of the past, which may be the case, but the association is still there in most people's minds and surely not one the club should welcome.

I've had no problem with the Bristol part before but I've bought into this new ethos and demand that all angles are covered completely.

I think the club is right in that the association of 'ultra' and violence/racism/etc. will be made by most casual football fans. However, I really don't see how it's fair that such word-association is used to judge fans. If someone commits a violent act, or is down in the front row throwing a nazi salute or racially abusing a player, they should be gone and never seen again at the gate. I don't see how them doing it next to a flag is any worse. Similarly, how can someone be punished for shouting and cheering and singing songs when they happen to have a flag with a certain, non-offensive, non-banned word? I am personally very wary of the idea of fans over here associating themselves with ultra culture in the broad sense and as I said, I can understand the clubs reasoning, but that reasoning is perverse to say the least and they definitely made the wrong call

Seems a bit pedantic by the club.

They've probably read this and panicked;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

Can someone change the 'CSF' wiki entry quick to the 'City Sanatised Firm'.

I'm confident that Bristol Sport will then provide prime locations for our 'CSF' flags around the stadium. All hail the men in suits.

the word 'ultra' and describing a group as 'ultras' are completely different things with completely different connotations though. It's completely disingenuous for anyone to pretend otherwise.

They are saying the flag with the word ultras on it is offensive, yes? So the word ultras is offensive, yes? So if I go next time with a t-shirt saying 'always ultra'on it im going to offend bristol sport despite it being an advert for a ladies sanitary towel

They are saying the flag with the word ultras on it is offensive, yes? So the word ultras is offensive, yes? So if I go next time with a t-shirt saying 'always ultra'on it im going to offend bristol sport despite it being an advert for a ladies sanitary towel

I genuinely now can't work out whether you're putting this on or genuinely can't see the difference.  Either way, I'm starting to feel a little bit embarrassed for you.

have adopted it in recent years, or why our fans felt compelled to follow suit.

The sketch is it is not recent.

Not recent all.

Be that head Cove of Massive Attack and his fellow chaps ULTRA fanzine, and the Park End. Twenty odd years or more ago.

And much later Forza EE.

Best ban Massive Attack aswell.

This is the new BS ... Somebody check their noses and size of feet.

And if you can't see how absurd this situation is you should feel embarrassed for yourself

Have I said the situation isn't absurd?  But it's clearly the use of the word 'ultras' and not the word 'ultra' and people pretending not to understand the difference just makes it look like the fans don't understand the argument and weakens the entire debate. 

Bad call from the club or should I say 'Bristol Sport'. The club is very much a brand now and anything they think will hurt the 'brand' will be sanatised. I'm all against violence in football, vile chanting and any wannabee hooligans but this is an innocent banner.

They let divvy into the changing room with a CSF tshirt ..... Strange change of stance by the club

Well, reading Bristol Sports statement I don't think he would even get into the ground, let alone the changing room.

On a related matter, wouldn't it be great if we had a surfer with that Divvy picture (like the Scotty one) .... for me, whether just co-incidence or not, our playing fortunes changed after that event. Think that would be quite a statement to the Club as well.

That boils my piss

Can't have the word 'ultra' on display, because that makes you a racist, wife beating, anti Muslim, alcoholic, pot smoking hooligan, but the media calls us 'Bristol' time and time again - did anyone find that far more insulting?

This is why I rarely bother watching live now, it's sanitised, boring, dull. I want to get down there, have a few beers and be able to say the 'f' word when I want, it's my release

Against modern football, as Robbo would say, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived