IGNORED

Je Suis Ultra

Blagdon red

Are the club right to ban flags with the word ULTRAS on them?  

318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It does seem rather odd, coming on the back of the atmosphere comment as well....was the atmosphere any better with the free scarf giveaway? It seemed quite quiet on the tv - I missed the first half hour though as I was driving up from Cornwall, and the radio reception wasn't the best

Well from where I sit in the Dolman there did seem to be plenty of noise from all around the ground and the scarf thing worked well IMO. But a bit like the team, we did fade just a little in the second half.

Couldn't hear the away fans very much until they scored.

I'm too long in the tooth to be ultra anything other than ultra cautious, but I think the club are wrong on this issue and will probably alienate some fans.

We are hardly San Lorenzo are we!

It does seem rather odd, coming on the back of the atmosphere comment as well....was the atmosphere any better with the free scarf giveaway? It seemed quite quiet on the tv - I missed the first half hour though as I was driving up from Cornwall, and the radio reception wasn't the best

You probably missed the best half hour then to be fair. Yes it was much louder than usual. The Dolman was fuller than I've seen it for a while, I could see no spare seats anywhere, there usually is a few during normal games that are sell outs due to ST holders not turning up. We were jammed in and it was pretty good. All we needed was a goal.

Yes visually the scarves looked colourful, but I'm not sure if we wouldn't have made just as much of a vocal atmosphere without them if I'm honest. We have done before haven't we.

• Admin

Anyway, who's up for doing a flag like the Standard Liege (?) fans did yesterday about one of their old players coming back with Anderlecht? I'm thinking that tosser that got Wade sent off at Swindle.....any one else seen that?? Slightly over the top, I'd back Dave L on taking that one down!

See post 32

Well Said!

I wish I could get to every game just like you regular fans, i would have to travel thousands of miles which is not possible very often for me, i haven't got the luxury of being able to support my home team at AG like most of you on this forum can,  but i am sure that If i did I wouldn't be worried if any flag supporting City was on display as long as it was not offensive or racist.  Different people have different views about these issues and therefore it would be impossible to please everyone.  From watching this forum regularly, it seems to me that as the team is having it's best season for many years and there is not much to complain about on the field, that it seems to me that this forum is looking elsewhere to find something to complain about all the time.  i don't agree with everything that BS do, but if that is their decision then it has to be accepted, personally I think if the game had not been on National and International TV the flag would have been allowed to stay. But. Hey, that's just my opinion, what would I know.

if it were offensive they could justifiy it,

it isn't and should be aloud to stay, full stop, the clubb and BS are wrong

But Ultra does have connotations with far right groups and football violence, so I can see why it was banned, why on Earth anyway would we want  that on a flag?

Sorry Monkeh mate it's ALLOWED not in as GirlsAloud  :P

Well from where I sit in the Dolman there did seem to be plenty of noise from all around the ground and the scarf thing worked well IMO. But a bit like the team, we did fade just a little in the second half.

Couldn't hear the away fans very much until they scored.

I'm too long in the tooth to be ultra anything other than ultra cautious, but I think the club are wrong on this issue and will probably alienate some fans.

We are hardly San Lorenzo are we!

I wasn't sure how much having no East End made a difference to the noise on tv, certainly didn't hear a peep from WH either. They even had the cameras on the fans whilst they were singing 'bubbles', and I couldn't hear the song!

You probably missed the best half hour then to be fair. Yes it was much louder than usual. The Dolman was fuller than I've seen it for a while, I could see no spare seats anywhere, there usually is a few during normal games that are sell outs due to ST holders not turning up. We were jammed in and it was pretty good. All we needed was a goal.

Yes visually the scarves looked colourful, but I'm not sure if we wouldn't have made just as much of a vocal atmosphere without them if I'm honest. We have done before haven't we.

I think you're right, M. The first 30 mins did seem to be the best spell we had, so sure I missed the best of it. The ground did look rammed to, and I have to say, seeing the scarves and the red and white did make it look great, not knocking the idea, just wanted to ask the question

I did say that this has 0-1 written all over it, even predicted a goal in the 80th minute. Didn't back it up with a few quid though :facepalm:

But Ultra does have connotations with far right groups and football violence, so I can see why it was banned, why on Earth anyway would we want  that on a flag?

The word has been adopted and altered (much like what SL is doing with his Barcelona vision). It essentially stands for noisy bastards.

No one, other than Bristol Sport conveniently, associate the word in this country with far right movements and European hooliganism.

This boils down to noisy bastards not being a part of the vision.

Do what we say, when we say, how we say bastards are what the vision requires.

Turn up, put up and shut up are the orders. Cardiff City supporters are experts in doing this, I like to think we are not but I'm getting worried tbh.

Not in England, for examples of english ultras have a look at Oxford, Acrington Stanley, Swindon, Palace, Middlesborough,

Banning for the sake of banning is wrong, if the club feels that strongly about it then they need to sit down face to face with supporters and explain what there reasoning, there needs to be a two way dialog like there was with the reopening of the eastend,

People moaning about people whating an ultra culture (as in passionate supporters) need to open dialog, like wise with those in their ivory towers, 

Fans are life blood of the club and upsetting them achieves nothing, The club need to take a sensable stance and open dialog,

• SC&T Board Members

Meanwhile the Palace ultras have been terrorising a nice City fan in central London ....

Palace ultras sit down with Richard Scudamore

... by sitting down with him around a table to discuss ticket prices. Accompanied and supported by the Crystal Palace vice chairman and co-owner.

Compare and contrast!

Meanwhile the Palace ultras have been terrorising a nice City fan in central London ....

... by sitting down with him around a table to discuss ticket prices. Accompanied and supported by the Crystal Palace vice chairman and co-owner.

Compare and contrast!

anyway you can pass that onto the club? if the head of the prem can have and toilrate an ultra movement (palace are a shining beacon in that department even if they are 'orrible fans),

The more good storys like thay we can pass on the more chance (all be it a small one) the club can get off its high horse

I thought i'd seen it all city but this just sinks to a new level of stupidity and lack of common sense :facepalm:

It is just a term on a flag and there is no ultra group as such but just a lads personal flag.

944134_463007090447844_70061577_n.jpg?oh

10425072_1393539974283521_40296980965619

947139_1393539934283525_5554704065343250

10408069_1393539967616855_75144532238453

10710_1393539887616863_85284175033682131

10923491_1393539907616861_78243221615179

10734277_1393540034283515_26483658562048

Look at all those horrible scumbags in that pic. Hope they all get nicked for, ummmmmmm, not sure actually, but hope they get nicked

The word has been adopted and altered (much like what SL is doing with his Barcelona vision). It essentially stands for noisy bastards.

No one, other than Bristol Sport conveniently, associate the word in this country with far right movements and European hooliganism.

This boils down to noisy bastards not being a part of the vision.

Do what we say, when we say, how we say bastards are what the vision requires.

Turn up, put up and shut up are the orders. Cardiff City supporters are experts in doing this, I like to think we are not but I'm getting worried tbh.

So, crap atmosphere, but the fans aren't allowed to have a group of like minded people who want to make a noise? That makes sense

taken from Bristol CityFC official programme 'Well Red' 18th February 2008 ,

and now 25th January 2015 weve gone to ' ULTRAS HAVE NO PLACE AT ASHTON GATE'

In a word HYPOCRITES

Great find

• SC&T Board Members

anyway you can pass that onto the club? if the head of the prem can have and toilrate an ultra movement (palace are a shining beacon in that department even if they are 'orrible fans),

The more good storys like thay we can pass on the more chance (all be it a small one) the club can get off its high horse

Yep!

Look at all those horrible scumbags in that pic. Hope they all get nicked for, ummmmmmm, not sure actually, but hope they get nicked

Less of the scumbag please! There's a particularly good looking chap (third image down, smack bang middle of the two flags) who is a genuine pacifist and means no actual harm to anyone.

taken from Bristol CityFC official programme 'Well Red' 18th February 2008 ,

and now 25th January 2015 weve gone to ' ULTRAS HAVE NO PLACE AT ASHTON GATE'

In a word HYPOCRITES

You've clearly done more to publicise our club overseas than BS ever have, what a slap in the face / the 'suits' upstairs should be ashamed

Compare and contrast!

Have to say, fair play to Palace for that...

The city flag with ultras on it has nothing whatsoever to do with foreign far right hooligan groups so why would it be banned?

It's total bollocks

Of course you are right but unfortunately the average Sunday afternoon BBC viewer has heard more about that the foreign far right hooligan group rather than the nice boys in our own Ultra group, so I can see why the club made the decision it did, wherever I agree with it or not.

The city flag with ultras on it has nothing whatsoever to do with foreign far right hooligan groups so why would it be banned?

It's total bollocks

Possibly, but I think this ultra clean image SL has in mind for his  project then Ultra connotation it has with Italian ? hooliganism labels has no place in his world,,yes I am concerned tbh with this drive to sanitation, football is a grubby affair, well at our level it should be, but the new BCFC 'image' he is creating smacks more of corporate not tradition.

As much as I dislike Palace  I have to admire their support , incredible.

Possibly, but I think this ultra clean image SL has in mind for his  project then Ultra connotation it has with Italian ? hooliganism labels has no place in his world,,yes I am concerned tbh with this drive to sanitation, football is a grubby affair, well at our level it should be, but the new BCFC 'image' he is creating smacks more of corporate not tradition.

As much as I dislike Palace  I have to admire their support , incredible.

Anybody who knows, or can guess, my politics would know that I despise anything connected with Italian fascism. I don't see that our Ultras have anything to do with that, and I'm perfectly happy with them.

So if a company with the word 'ultra' in their name offered to sponsor city for a million pounds would the club would reject it?

This is a rather silly question and you know it. "Ultra" is a fairly generic word for something that is extreme - e g ultra short hair style. If a company called, for example, "Ultra Techno Solutions", offered to sponsor City it would not be a problem.

However, merely adding the letter "s" to the word gives it a totally different meaning. "Ultras" refers to sports fans with fanatical support. Unfortunately with many clubs this support has been violent, hence City's reluctance to use the word. Whether fans like it or not, that is the club's reasoning.

Archived