IGNORED

Charity Bike Ride - Ashton Gate to Brentford : HAPPENING NOW!!

Harry

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Time for a shameless 'bump', since Bristol Rob seems to have run out of japery and let this thread slide to page 2! 

Nonsense. I was trying to find a YouTube video of you doing an 'endo' and your penny farthing, but I got distracted by cats doing funny things.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of your messages of good will and your sponsorship - we're overwhelmed and proud that we've just topped the £2,000 mark on this event (going a long way to contributing toward our annual target of £10k).  So thanks to everyone.

Just wanted to give a bit of an update, since we set off bright and early tomorrow morning (7:30am from Ashton Gate if anyone happened to be passing).

Firstly, a MASSIVE thank you to Bristol City FC.  Especially to @Mkelly. I approached Mark a few weeks ago about giving us some exposure and his response was the following :
* Sourced 5 tickets for the match, by asking around the players who have given up their complimentary tickets for us.  Hugely grateful to Mark and the players for this.
* Offered us a bacon sarnie and coffee at 7am prior to our departure.
* A photo of us in the new changing rooms.
* An article on the website - published today - hopefully you've all seen this.
* City training tops with the names of our charities printed on the back.
So, in a season where the club have had a lot of negative press, I want to say a huge thanks to Mark, @AdamB, Marie Longhurst in the club shop, Rob from security and the players who gave us their tickets.

The next thanks goes to Nailsea based company ET Fabrications.  Hopefully you've seen their van in the articles that have been published.
Having seen my original post on here, Graeme Powell (the dad of our friend Stu Powell) asked if there was anything he could do to help us.  We were looking for an event sponsor, someone who might be able to help us out with some of the associated costs of this event, such as hiring a support van.  Graeme blew us away with his generous offer - he's loaned us his son Stu, and his works van to be our support vehicle for both days.  He also put in £400 to help with other costs of the event, which have helped toward spare bike and parts, t-shirts with the charity logo for us to ride in, supplies (water, food) for the ride and accommodation on Friday night in Hampshire.
Big thanks to Graham and Stu.

Next, big thanks to Sean Takle & Rob Fernandes, aka @cider head and @Olé.  Between the pair of these two gents, we managed to get the design drawn up and printed for our charity t-shirts which we will be wearing on the ride.  Top lads.

Thanks also to the South Gloucestershire Gazette for printing an article for us in today's paper (and also online earlier this week).  Great work from @Kid in the Riot for helping with this.

And finally, a huge thank you to Brentford FC, and in particular their PA to the Chairman, Nicole Mehta.  I've been in touch with Nicole over the past few weeks and Brentford have offered us use of their training ground for showers upon arrival, a free parking space for our van, an article on their website (published today, please take a look), and permission to shake a bucket at the away end (even though they have their own designated charity collections that day).

Two last thanks.  Scott Murray has agreed to meet us after the game and present us with a signed City shirt which we can auction off for our charity.  Plus, if you are listening to Radio Bristol at around 6:40pm on Friday evening, you may hear Geoff Twentyman giving us a call to have a chat about our event and our purpose.  So you might be lucky enough to hear my voice after 100 miles of peddling if you tune in.

Thanks again for all of your support and please keep giving.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/BSUBcycle4mentalhealth 

Harry

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of your messages of good will and your sponsorship - we're overwhelmed and proud that we've just topped the £2,000 mark on this event (going a long way to contributing toward our annual target of £10k).  So thanks to everyone.

Just wanted to give a bit of an update, since we set off bright and early tomorrow morning (7:30am from Ashton Gate if anyone happened to be passing).

Firstly, a MASSIVE thank you to Bristol City FC.  Especially to @Mkelly. I approached Mark a few weeks ago about giving us some exposure and his response was the following :
* Sourced 5 tickets for the match, by asking around the players who have given up their complimentary tickets for us.  Hugely grateful to Mark and the players for this.
* Offered us a bacon sarnie and coffee at 7am prior to our departure.
* A photo of us in the new changing rooms.
* An article on the website - published today - hopefully you've all seen this.
* City training tops with the names of our charities printed on the back.
So, in a season where the club have had a lot of negative press, I want to say a huge thanks to Mark, @AdamB, Marie Longhurst in the club shop, Rob from security and the players who gave us their tickets.

The next thanks goes to Nailsea based company ET Fabrications.  Hopefully you've seen their van in the articles that have been published.
Having seen my original post on here, Graeme Powell (the dad of our friend Stu Powell) asked if there was anything he could do to help us.  We were looking for an event sponsor, someone who might be able to help us out with some of the associated costs of this event, such as hiring a support van.  Graeme blew us away with his generous offer - he's loaned us his son Stu, and his works van to be our support vehicle for both days.  He also put in £400 to help with other costs of the event, which have helped toward spare bike and parts, t-shirts with the charity logo for us to ride in, supplies (water, food) for the ride and accommodation on Friday night in Hampshire.
Big thanks to Graham and Stu.

Next, big thanks to Sean Takle & Rob Fernandes, aka @cider head and @Olé.  Between the pair of these two gents, we managed to get the design drawn up and printed for our charity t-shirts which we will be wearing on the ride.  Top lads.

Thanks also to the South Gloucestershire Gazette for printing an article for us in today's paper (and also online earlier this week).  Great work from @Kid in the Riot for helping with this.

And finally, a huge thank you to Brentford FC, and in particular their PA to the Chairman, Nicole Mehta.  I've been in touch with Nicole over the past few weeks and Brentford have offered us use of their training ground for showers upon arrival, a free parking space for our van, an article on their website (published today, please take a look), and permission to shake a bucket at the away end (even though they have their own designated charity collections that day).

Two last thanks.  Scott Murray has agreed to meet us after the game and present us with a signed City shirt which we can auction off for our charity.  Plus, if you are listening to Radio Bristol at around 6:40pm on Friday evening, you may hear Geoff Twentyman giving us a call to have a chat about our event and our purpose.  So you might be lucky enough to hear my voice after 100 miles of peddling if you tune in.

Thanks again for all of your support and please keep giving.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/BSUBcycle4mentalhealth 

Harry

Cracking stuff. Well done to all involved. 3 points to top it of .

• The topic was pinned

Just had a text from Harry.

The cyclist have made it to Trowbridge crematorium where they've placed flowers (and a selection of stickers) on the headstone of Grizz.

I know they have been amazed at the support and encouragement they've received, but if you can, could you consider dropping them a few quid?

Maybe have a couple less pints this evening, or forego the side dishes with your weekend take-out and consider giving them a few quid instead.

I should get another update later on (hopefully with a few photos) that I'll post.

Lunch update from Harry. 

They cyclists have stopped in Pewsey for refreshments, blood transfusions* and performance enhancing drugs**.

Approximately an hour and a quarter behind schedule.

They cycled past that gurt big white horse. Harry reports there was no sign of Dayrell or bruising from random Gas attacks.

*lies

**even bigger fibs.

Help the guys make up a bit of time by sponsoring them for a few quid. You donations might just give them the motivation to ride a bit faster.

Archived