IGNORED

Huddersfield players maximum wage is 10,000 pounds a week AND season tickets are 100 pounds

I've looked at this too, wanted this system for us and can't for the life of me figure out why we don't adopt it. 

At Huddersfield If you have had a ST for 9 years or more a ST is £100, there is something about a 'Premier pledge' linked to this price too so it might have been dependant on being promoted, but anyway that has happened now. 4,400 people we elegable for this.

Anyone else £199 to a maximum of 17,000. Under 8's pay £29 and 8-17 years are £79, not sure about concessions but at £199 don't think they are needed anyway! At the moment they have 15,000 ST holders. The capacity of their stadium is 24,500 of which 4000 are away fans. The £199 is for any area of the ground, none of the stand snobbery is in place there.

My guess is that because they can follow their team so cheaply at home they can afford to go to lots of away matches and give support there too, that makes a difference, and the fact they are well placed to travel on the whole.

There is no excuse of parachute payments propping the club up. If they can do it why can't we, I'm really, really angry about this. No doubt some of you will tell me to 'do one' and become a Huddersfield supporter, but just think about their pricing and find a flaw in it, cos I can't. There are plenty of other teams up there so their catchment t area is more limited than us, they also have a bigger rugby following. 

Please feel free to pick apart my argument. I would really like to know Steve Lansdown's thoughts on this too. 

I'd love the Huddersfield model of pricing to be applied to City, but I don't think it will happen. The average gate last season was in the region of 18k, with gates against big clubs over 20k. This was in a poor season with City looking like relegation candidates for long periods. From a business model perspective, this would indicate to City / Bristol Sport that the pricing is correct. (I know mentioning a business model will make some people go apoplectic, and I'm not saying that it's right, but that how a lot of clubs operate. Please don't have a go at me about Bristol Sport.) An average gate of approx 18k in a poor season would imply 20k+ in a good season  

What does seem to be happening is that Steve Lansdown is moving City to a Huddersfield model of a lower wage bill. For this to work for City we need the right manager and the right players). Only time will tell if we have either / both. 

@pongo88 I understand what you are saying, we are getting the people in paying double, treble or even 5 times or more so why reduce costs. Also I understand what you are saying about wage bill, and of course we have the stadium to pay for. A stadium which has an upper tier we have little or no intention of using, crazy.

Regarding the wage bill I guess you have to sell the belief that promotion is a real possibility to players, we invest in them, further their careers and they take the rewards when promoted. For too long we haven't been anywhere near promotion to the Premiership which is ultimately what they want so I guess we are paying over the odds in wages to compensate, a sort of insurance policy for them as well as the only way we can persuade them to play for unfashionable us. This has to gradually chance to players being paid less but wanting it more, with a realistic chance of us being at least in the playoffs consistently and not flirting with relegation year after year.

Make our kiddies ST holders pay £29, and let them buy a shirt for a decent price, £15 kids and £25/£30 adult, and believe me there is still a massive profit to be made on those prices. 

Fill the stadium, sell thousands of shirts. Have a hungry close knit team, consisting of youngsters, middle experienced pros and a couple of wise senior heads all pulling in the same direction. No real super star prima donna's unless a couple naturally shine, and let's see where we go from here.

Well that's how I'd do it anyway:sun:

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Another point Red M is that RL is now a summer game running from April ?to October?

Yes, that's true I think you are right. So with the rugby not as big as I imagined, fan wise and not clashing with football too much. Bristol rugby is bound to have less crowds this season, not that away rugby fans travel like football ones. Rugby is well over priced down here, more so than the football I think. I'm not sure how many dual ST holders there are but no reason why the rugby couldn't adopt a similar low priced scheme, certain to bring in a few more fans too I would imagine, at least back up to Premiership rugby attendances? 

Bristol Sport have also got the funding from the Jets Badminton freed up now, nothat that it amounted to much I wouldn't think. The league went bust. 

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

@RedM It's part of the reason I decided not to re-new and have a year out from watching City. Before I am a fan of City I am a football fan first and foremost. Football fans are being taken for a complete ride in this country and I cannot abide it, be it here or at say Arsenal which is outrageous. 

You are not alone the team have decided too join you and have a year off as well.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

On these figures, home league game revenue would be about £4M (20000 x £199) so where does the OP's £170M come from?

The championship play off final has been widely touted as being worth £170 to the winners, although I've yet to see a breakdown of how this is made up.

Has the OP taken this figure as their income for next year?

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The championship play off final has been widely touted as being worth £170 to the winners, although I've yet to see a breakdown of how this is made up.

Has the OP taken this figure as their income for next year?

It's 70 million for tv money and position payments, plus 100 million in parachute payments IF they are relegated. obviously if they stay up next season will not be worth 170 million.

46 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes, that's true I think you are right. So with the rugby not as big as I imagined, fan wise and not clashing with football too much. Bristol rugby is bound to have less crowds this season, not that away rugby fans travel like football ones. Rugby is well over priced down here, more so than the football I think. I'm not sure how many dual ST holders there are but no reason why the rugby couldn't adopt a similar low priced scheme, certain to bring in a few more fans too I would imagine, at least back up to Premiership rugby attendances? 

Bristol Sport have also got the funding from the Jets Badminton freed up now, not that that it amounted to much I wouldn't think. The league went bust. 

I asked Bristol Sport ticket office at start of last season, how many dual ST's there are and the person I spoke to said they were not allowed to disclose the figure. I would still like to know and find it rather childish if it is true that the Club's do not want it made public.

Bristol Rugby match day prices are on a par with City's. For the rugby supporter, having a membership is probably less likely than for City who are, if we have a better season than last, likely to have some full houses. Whereas Bris will definitely not have on single game that is anywhere near their capacity of 22,000 (Atyeo will not be opened this coming season for rugby).

So for the playing level Bris will be at, their prices will be expensive to say the least. If they can average over 7,000, they'll be doing well. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

@pongo88 I understand what you are saying, we are getting the people in paying double, treble or even 5 times or more so why reduce costs. Also I understand what you are saying about wage bill, and of course we have the stadium to pay for. A stadium which has an upper tier we have little or no intention of using, crazy.

Regarding the wage bill I guess you have to sell the belief that promotion is a real possibility to players, we invest in them, further their careers and they take the rewards when promoted. For too long we haven't been anywhere near promotion to the Premiership which is ultimately what they want so I guess we are paying over the odds in wages to compensate, a sort of insurance policy for them as well as the only way we can persuade them to play for unfashionable us. This has to gradually chance to players being paid less but wanting it more, with a realistic chance of us being at least in the playoffs consistently and not flirting with relegation year after year.

Make our kiddies ST holders pay £29, and let them buy a shirt for a decent price, £15 kids and £25/£30 adult, and believe me there is still a massive profit to be made on those prices. 

Fill the stadium, sell thousands of shirts. Have a hungry close knit team, consisting of youngsters, middle experienced pros and a couple of wise senior heads all pulling in the same direction. No real super star prima donna's unless a couple naturally shine, and let's see where we go from here.

Well that's how I'd do it anyway:sun:

The kids ST at £50 includes a free shirt so I think represents great value - for either City or Bris 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Under-12s pay £50 for a ST anywhere in the stadium, and get a free shirt thrown in. Seems bloody good value to me. In the Family Area it's free for under-12s and they still get a shirt!

I get what you're saying on other prices, just that I don't feel you can knock the club on kids tickets.

@CyderInACan @richwwtk you misunderstand me if you think I am knocking our kids prices. Indeed we have discounts way up until the age of 25 now dont we, 25 wtf. 

They are excellent value...if you are a kid or have child/children ( or are under 25) I guess if you are under 25 with a couple of youngsters you are getting the best value!!! I understand the need for family discounted tickets, ( not sure about the 25 year old price band) but don't be kidded that the rest of us aren't funding them and their free shirts. That wasn't the point I was saying , but there I've said it now. I would look for kiddies prices being more realistic, say £75/£100 and adults reduced by £25/£50 at least, spread it more evenly.

I would follow Huddersfields pricing, one price for all stands. I think I would have a lot more unreserved/casual seats too. If you want a particular seat you get there early and sing, build up the atmosphere. I wouldn't have all the price bands and discounts. You are either a child or an adult, as you are in the real world on the whole. If you can afford to follow football pay, if not work at it until you can. 

Good grief I'm on one today. #VoteRedM

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I would follow Huddersfields pricing, one price for all stands. I think I would have a lot more unreserved/casual seats too. If you want a particular seat you get there early and sing, build up the atmosphere. I wouldn't have all the price bands and discounts. You are either a child or an adult, as you are in the real world on the whole. If you can afford to follow football pay, if not work at it until you can. 

Good grief I'm on one today. #VoteRedM

Love my view from the Dolman but you'd practically have to pay me to sit behind the goal nowadays. I'm assuming that Hudds are very much the exception to usual pricing practises in football (& probably rugby) stadia?

5 hours ago, pillred said:

It's 70 million for tv money and position payments, plus 100 million in parachute payments IF they are relegated. obviously if they stay up next season will not be worth 170 million.

No it's not. Every premier league club is guaranteed over 100 million next season from sky.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Love my view from the Dolman but you'd practically have to pay me to sit behind the goal nowadays. I'm assuming that Hudds are very much the exception to usual pricing practises in football (& probably rugby) stadia?

I've moved out of the Dolman after 18 seasons to go down to the South Stand. I was in the Atyeo for a game last season and enjoyed the atmosphere so much I decided to move. Hopefully the atmisphwre will carry on with all the Atyeo fans moving up to the SS next season.

36 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

No it's not. Every premier league club is guaranteed over 100 million next season from sky.

but not 170 million,. it only adds up to 170 million if you are relegated and get the parachute payments,.obviously if you stay up then of course it's worth a lot more.

7 hours ago, RedM said:

I've looked at this too, wanted this system for us and can't for the life of me figure out why we don't adopt it. 

At Huddersfield If you have had a ST for 9 years or more a ST is £100, there is something about a 'Premier pledge' linked to this price too so it might have been dependant on being promoted, but anyway that has happened now. 4,400 people we elegable for this.

Anyone else £199 to a maximum of 17,000. Under 8's pay £29 and 8-17 years are £79, not sure about concessions but at £199 don't think they are needed anyway! At the moment they have 15,000 ST holders. The capacity of their stadium is 24,500 of which 4000 are away fans. The £199 is for any area of the ground, none of the stand snobbery is in place there.

Not the case this last season RedM.

Huddersfield fans told the club they were fed up with such huge away followings and the club responded accordingly by cutting away allocations down to 2,000.

44 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not the case this last season RedM.

Huddersfield fans told the club they were fed up with such huge away followings and the club responded accordingly by cutting away allocations down to 2,000.

I stand corrected again. Just had a quick Google to find out capacity etc and saw that to put into some perspective. Fair enough Huddersfield

. I'm wondering what the Atyeo will look like with all away fans, will that be too much of an disadvantage having no home fans behind the goal?

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

I stand corrected again. Just had a quick Google to find out capacity etc and saw that to put into some perspective. Fair enough Huddersfield

. I'm wondering what the Atyeo will look like with all away fans, will that be too much of an disadvantage having no home fans behind the goal?

Imo, it will, and it's a terrible idea if City really intend to increase the away allocation beyond the 2,700 they already give - which is already 700 beyond what they are obliged to.

Other clubs are also reducing overly generous away allocations, and moving away fans into less prominent positions, to improve home atmosphere and advantage

Lots of threads about this subject though, plenty disagree with me, and I'm not going to get embroiled in another one.

Suffice to say, such a move has certainly done Huddersfield no harm. 

@Nogbad the Bad totally agree but, and I'm only guessing , the club would see it as extra income potentially. Our fans (at the moment) can easily be accommodated in the rest of the ground. If that changes and we start to regularly sell out it may change , we could go back to segregated Atyeo.

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

@Nogbad the Bad totally agree but, and I'm only guessing , the club would see it as extra income potentially. Our fans (at the moment) can easily be accommodated in the rest of the ground. If that changes and we start to regularly sell out it may change , we could go back to segregated Atyeo.

I'd do what many other clubs are now doing 1960maaan.

Keep away allocation to the minimum required, i.e 2k - which is still alot - and stick them somewhere out of the way on the side, not behind a goal.

And definitely not behind the goal and giving them the whole end - worst of all worlds.

The City team should be playing towards the encouragement of City fans at both ends of AG - not a mass of noise and colour in support of the visitors, and all the abuse for our corner takers, penalty takers, and aimed at our keeper for 45 minutes, which that entails.

Let alone the away team feeling like they're playing at home for half the game.

It's certain to diminish our home advantage, and the more away fans we allow over what's required the more it will inevitably disadvantage us.

Huddersfield fans, and their club in response, got it absolutely right, and if you're talking of finances potentially suffering I'm pretty sure Huddersfield have few regrets from that angle either!

Archived