IGNORED

London Tower Block Fire

WhistleHappy

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

All external openings in every building are sealed using either a thermabate / fire sock or both. It is common building practice.

Not on all the EWI projects i've worked on with kingspan, celotex etc used directly onto the fabric of the existing building, the external weatherproofing (the panels in this case) are not sealed there is an air gap top and bottom to allow air flow.

• Admin

That's what happens when you let bean counters make the final decision, seen it all too often in Engineering, bean counters seem unable to see value past the annual budget.

I was working in a large bakery and it needed a new conveyor system for a new process area, the Engineering Manager put forward the quote, it was for a conveyor make of which several were already installed in the bakery, it was proven, reliable and low cost maintenance.  The store held stock to carry out repairs from minor to major.  He was sent away to get a second quote, it was lower, the bean counters forced that one through.  It was duly installed and regularly broke down, the bakery shuts down for 12 hours every week for heavy cleaning and maintenance, this particular conveyor had two engineers working the whole 12 hour shift, trying to get it through the next 6 1/2 days, before spending another 12 hours on it....... don't talk to me about bean counters, clueless arses.

6 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Not on all the EWI projects i've worked on with kingspan, celotex etc used directly onto the fabric of the existing, the external weatherproofing (the panels in this case) are not sealed there is an air gap top and bottom to allow air flow.

In which case they have a similar problem to Grenfell Tower. Another reason that building practices in this country need urgent investigation. Be very clear that in say cavity brick construction there is a fire sock at floor level, ceiling level, all party walls and around opes. Why is cladding any different ?

Just now, northsomersetred said:

Not on all the EWI projects i've worked on with kingspan, celotex etc used directly onto the fabric of the existing building, the external weatherproofing (the panels in this case) are not sealed there is an air gap top and bottom to allow air flow.

based on those practise the external cladding becomes a huge fire blanket trapping the fire in the void surely??

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That's what happens when you let bean counters make the final decision, seen it all too often in Engineering, bean counters seem unable to see value past the annual budget.

I was working in a large bakery and it needed a new conveyor system for a new process area, the Engineering Manager put forward the quote, it was for a conveyor that several were already installed in the bakery, it was proven, reliable and low cost maintenance.  The store held stock to carry out repairs from minor to major.  He was sent away to get a second quote, it was lower, the bean counters forced that one through.  It was duly installed and regularly broke down, the bakery shuts down for 12 hours every week for heavy cleaning and maintenance, this particular conveyor had two engineers working the whole 12 hour shift, trying to get it through the next 6 1/2 days, before spending another 12 hours on it....... don't talk to me about bean counters, clueless arses.

penny wise....pound foolish

Just now, bend it like brian said:

me neither i watched a lot of people walking to the town hall putting masks on there faces.........stay classy 

Those with a legitimate gripe don't need masks. Those who find the need to wear them should piss off home.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Anyone think it might kick off at weekend? Plenty of anger locally. 

I think that the weekend has a lot of potential for trouble but hopefully not from protests about this terrible tragedy but Sunday is the annual Al Qouds day march a normally anti semite rally supported by the ex friends from Hezbolah.

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Just reading now that Kensington Council have said that tenants didn't want a sprinkler system installed. What a waste of an excuse. The building was council owned and it should have been done regardless.

The Tory councillor on news night last night, blamed the residents saying they didn't want the sprinkler system !

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

she's a tory most of them are heartless, thats why they are known as the nasty party, it's a shame as people like her give MP's an even worse name,

I loath David camoron, but he would of been down meeting people he was never scared of the public like this bitch (sorry @Dollymarie ) is

Why the apology? Never voted, nor would I ever vote Tory. Theresa May is vile, and if the general election result wasn't going to finish her off, I think this just might. 

Just now, Dollymarie said:

Why the apology? Never voted, nor would I ever vote Tory. Theresa May is vile, and if the general election result wasn't going to finish her off, I think this just might. 

we live in hope my Angel xx  :sign09::wub:

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

So for security reasons yesterday it wasn't safe for Teresa May to visit the effected families of the fire but today it's ok for the 90 year old queen and her 96 year old husband to wonder the streets and meet real people!

William was with her, not Phillip :) 

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

So for security reasons yesterday it wasn't safe for Teresa May to visit the effected families of the fire but today it's ok for the 90 year old queen and her 96 year old husband to wonder the streets and meet real people!

Agree Spoons, she really needs to just piss off if she can't handle the pressure. My hatred for her has no boundaries. 

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Agree Spoons, she really needs to just piss off if she can't handle the pressure. My hatred for her has no boundaries. 

It's like she's now saying ' well I don't give a **** anymore' as I haven't got to win anymore votes as she's not going to be fighting another election! 

Go now May! 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Yep, so the reigning Monarch plus No 2 to the throne can visit but Mrs May can't because of "security". What a load of old bollycocks !!

I totally agree with the sentiment, but thinking about it perhaps it's better if she stays in her ivory tower. Her appearance would be sure to incite people and some poor policeman/security/bodyguard would have to but their bodies in the way of trouble to protect her, and I wouldn't want that.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

I totally agree with the sentiment, but thinking about it perhaps it's better if she stays in her ivory tower. Her appearance would be sure to incite people and some poor policeman/security/bodyguard would have to but their bodies in the way of trouble to protect her, and I wouldn't want that.

See your point Red but the same could be said for our 91 year old Queen and Wills. Didn't seem to faze them !

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly!

No one's going to aim their vitriol at the Queen or William - this isn't a Royalty issue, it's political. They've been sent as a symbol of comfort and peace in the midst of utter turmoil and destruction.

You send one of the ring-leaders of the course of it into the thick of it and she'll be ripped from limb to limb in a full blown riot!

I personally wish they had sent her as she has no soul anyway.

I can see why they kept Prince Phillip well out of it with his track record in appropriate intercourse with the public.

1 minute ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

They've been sent as a symbol of comfort and peace in the midst of utter turmoil and destruction.

And our PM shouldn't be seen in the same light ?  Obviously not in her own mind !

Archived