IGNORED

Top of the shop on 5 tonight

Septic Peg

52 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Should be available on Five+1 at 10pm with subtitles if it helps.

Freeview:44 | Sky:177
Virgin:155 | FreeSat:128
BT:44
(Channels for Five+1 on various platforms)

Actually I have it on record on the BT box thingy Septic, so will watch later, bit exhausted after all the excitement to-day, thanks for that though.

33 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Unless I missed it, the highlights didn’t show Garner’s kick out at Flinty that our radio commentators were convinced was a red. Anyone seen it?

I saw it live, but not on the C5 prog. The Ref spoke to both players  and I thought he'd give Flint a yellow and a red to Garner. The Assistant didn't wave for any indiscretion, yet the Ref did notice it.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

perhaps he wanted a good look at them all. Who knows?

Thought his thoughts on Cotts were quite fair, he doesn't say anything bad, just that he may not be able to deal wth prima donnas…we'll have to wait and see!

It seems Iwelumo doesn't have much time for Cotterill, no doubt a legacy from playing under him and maybe the 2 having personal issues. He did say he played under him at 2 clubs though so if he thought SC's man management skills were so lacking you'd think he might have thought better of going back for more at the 2nd club.

However for him to lecture on how SC should have approached this weekend as a 'manager in waiting' seems churlish, particularly as he has never been the position of being a manager himself.

As for Cotterill's man management skills it's clear he doesn't suffer fools gladly and will shoot from the hip when he feels it necessary but you have to say the great spirit he engendered amongst our Championship winning squad was about the best most City fans will have ever seen.

Sour grapes from CI imo., and out of order to criticise Cotterill so publicly like that on national TV - all a bit odd and unnecessary really.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Watched Fammy's goal a few times and I can't get past thinking it maybe came off his shoulder rather than head. Anyone else think that or do I need to visit specsavers to check my prescription? 

Lots of comments about it being a great header so I suspect may be my eyesight.

I'm with you on that. But the fact he got head and shoulders above the two  defenders made it happen.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just saw the highlights on C5. Why oh why did CoD not shoot on his favoured left foot?  He cut inside and lost possession......

Smacks of low confidence in front of goal to me.

To be honest , if he'd squared it Bobby had a tap in. No matter how well he's playing he's obviously desperate for his first goal and that was evident in not shooting

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It seems Iwelumo doesn't have much time for Cotterill, no doubt a legacy from playing under him and maybe the 2 having personal issues. He did say he played under him at 2 clubs though so if he thought SC's man management skills were so lacking you'd think he might have thought better of going back for more at the 2nd club.

However for him to lecture on how SC should have approached this weekend as a 'manager in waiting' seems churlish, particularly as he has never been the position of being a manager himself.

As for Cotterill's man management skills it's clear he doesn't suffer fools gladly and will shoot from the hip when he feels it necessary but you have to say the great spirit he engendered amongst our Championship winning squad was about the best most City fans will have ever seen.

Sour grapes from CI imo., and out of order to criticise Cotterill so publicly like that on national TV - all a bit odd and unnecessary really.

Maybe, but he's on there to give opinion rather than try and stay friends with people.  I'm sure the players need some help and direction and that's probably where it's largely coming from.  Although they have signed a number of new players Cotts was only just there, so seems even more weird.  

3 hours ago, hodge said:

How selfish was Kodjia with that chance just before the pen, 2 on 1 with the keeper, square it and its pretty much a guaranteed goal but goes alone on the angle. 

famara is proving you don't have to be a selfish player to get more than your fair share of goals, much more of a team player, I wouldn't swap them, and I admit I thought he was a donkey after 6 games,  so shows what I know.

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He did preface it all by saying Cotterill was a very good coach - I thought it was fairly balanced and it didn't smack of a personal grudge.

26 minutes ago, Leveller said:

He did preface it all by saying Cotterill was a very good coach - I thought it was fairly balanced and it didn't smack of a personal grudge.

He did indeed and like you I didn't see his comments as churlish. In fact his point about Cotterill not going into the dressing room was a valid point. 

Why didn't he?  

21 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

that is a joke I assume?

What part of it? If the OTIB rumour mill is true he's still on it, pure speculation but I'd imagine another managerial job would cancel the contract. Can't think of any other reason why he'd start on Monday rather than immediately apart from contractual issues?

5 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

What part of it? If the OTIB rumour mill is true he's still on it, pure speculation but I'd imagine another managerial job would cancel the contract. Can't think of any other reason why he'd start on Monday rather than immediately apart from contractual issues?

i assumed they would have paid off his contract when he left or shortly after.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He did indeed and like you I didn't see his comments as churlish. In fact his point about Cotterill not going into the dressing room was a valid point. 

Why didn't he?  

At the risk of repeating myself the reason is because Carsley had already been put in charge of all preparation for the game, selection, team talk, formation, substitutions etc. He was completing his stint as caretaker manager.

Cotterill's new appointment was not due to take affect until tomorrow so it could have be seen as interfering, undermining, and disruptive to intrude on proceedings.

He had a watching brief for the match and has since stated that it's a fresh start for the players when he takes charge from tomorrow. All very sensible it seems to me both in terms of taking a back seat in advance of the game and his quoted reaction afterwards.

It's really 'not rocket science' as you so often like to say, and understanding the whole episode from SC's pov., without resorting to criticising him, really shouldn't have been beyond the wit of Iwolumo either.

But I think he's got history in that direction so most will ignore or dismiss as churlish his totally unnecessary outburst against someone who clearly isn't a personal favourite of his.

I think it's highly unlikely CI would have gone out of his way to make similar comments if the incoming manager in question was not SC, and to me that's the crux of the matter. 

15 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

I think if he was still being paid by us until then - that would’ve stopped when he became Birmingham’s assistant. I hope we just paid him up long before then anyway.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

At the risk of repeating myself the reason is because Carsley had already been put in charge of all preparation for the game, selection, team talk, formation, substitutions etc. He was completing his stint as caretaker manager.

Cotterill's new appointment was not due to take affect until tomorrow so it could have be seen as interfering, undermining, and disruptive to intrude on proceedings.

He had a watching brief for the match and has since stated that it's a fresh start for the players when he takes charge from tomorrow. All very sensible it seems to me both in terms of taking a back seat in advance of the game and his quoted reaction afterwards.

It's really 'not rocket science' as you so often like to say, and understanding the whole episode from SC's pov., without resorting to criticising him, really shouldn't have been beyond the wit of Iwolumo either.

But I think he's got history in that direction so most will ignore or dismiss as churlish his totally unnecessary outburst against someone who clearly isn't a personal favourite of his.

I think it's highly unlikely CI would have gone out of his way to make similar comments if the incoming manager in question was not SC, and to me that's the crux of the matter. 

Agree. And to be fair, Cotterill made the right decision. Having only been appointed on Friday, he could have little influence on the match on Saturday. Better to observe. Why take the blame for a hammering when he had no influence on the performance?!

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good post Nogbad. Nicely explained.

30 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Did you have any luck @CrazyInWeston with the screening this morning? 

If not, will post the script if needed. Would have done it earlier but forgot I had to go to an event today.

Ah no, sadly not, there were no subtitles on the show this morning. Thanks again Septic, you are a star! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Ah no, sadly not, there were no subtitles on the show this morning. Thanks again Septic, you are a star! :thumbsup:

Here ya go... Iwelumo speaks like he's in a rush. My pause button is broken! (Apologies if anything lost in translation...)

@Olé
Last season, we didn't play like this. We failed too quickly before the end of the game. This season, we have energy, stamina. There was no clue this was coming.
There was no possibility this was going to happen, the way we were playing for the end of last season. This season, different story. Bobby Reid is on fire. The team are playing so so well.

Colin Murray (CM) and Chris Iwelumo (CI)

CM: Ok Chris, I'm not sure if they train with Real Madrid but I do think they are for real. I said the other week about Bristol City being one of the most entertaining football teams in England. I got a few tweets where people LOLed but I'm sticking with it especially after today.

CI: Outstanding start from the get go as well. Showed great pace, athleticism, power, here Diedhiou moving forward. Jamie Paterson ever present, running forward, getting the ball, making options. But you know what, they are so offensive, players getting forward supporting every opportunity. One thing in mind get the shot away. Brownhill here, takes his shot on and I have to say they are 5th in the table for getting their shots away but you take that opportunity whenever it presents itself, why not, have a go. A little deflection off Nydam here, can't do nothing the keeper. But that's what they done, pressed high up the pitch. Kept that switch in the defensive third. Picked up 2nd balls and little bits of quality like this. Think that's Paterson  again, in the box, one thing in mind. Spence here great defensive challenge but if we go on to this, Bobby Reid, this is what he does, pulls that CB all over the place. And this is what he creates. If we look at where Diedhiou is, he's here. He's right deep so Korey Smith the good player that he is, advances into that space and that what it was. As good players go forward, he's gets the shot away. It bounces back to him. He's very very lucky. One thing in mind. Jamie Paterson again. Ever present. Wants the ball. The quality from it as well. Great ball in. Diedhiou fantastic header

CM: It's hard to pick a MOM but that's often the case with him

CI: Here now look at this. If I just highlight Paterson there, COD, Bobby Reid, they've all got one thing in mind, can we burst forward with pace? Watch this, he's been an outlet, always wants the ball. O'Dowda look at the energy, look at the passion, he wants to get in there. You know a great pass from Paterson. He's got to better from here though. Take the shot on. Test the keeper. Go and ask the question. He doesn't. But I've got to say from the get go, they were outstanding. 2nd half, a different team. They killed the game off.

CM: But is that what makes Bristol City's start different from last season? In that when they needed to be ugly and they were 2-1 up, they would sit back, hit on the break, get the third goal. Bit more clinical, bit more gritty.

CI: Spot on. Nail on head. They've got that strength at the back. They're organised. They know how to manage the game. They've seen it out and they know how to play counter attack football in the 2nd half and really stopped Ipswich from playing.

CM: The last time they won away at Ipswich was 1978. 10cc Dreadlock holiday was at no.1. No one needed to know that....

Continues on to Cotts watching from the stands...

Archived