IGNORED

IF City beat Man C

22A

OK, so lightning strikes twice and City beat a Manchester team and play in the League Cup Final against Arsenal or Chelsea.

Both of those teams will probably be in one of the European competitions next season. Therefore even if City lost the final, would they qualify for the Europa League? When Swindon won the LC in 1969 the rule was only First Division clubs would be allowed to play in Europe. The following year when City reached the semis, the rules were changed so that if the winners were from a lower division, they'd still be allowed to play in the UEFA Cup (as was).

This site suggests only high placed Prem clubs will be allowed in that Europa league. https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Downside if City did qualify for Europe is that those games are played on Thursdays, with the next League game on the Sunday. For those who work odd shifts and for travelling fans, that could muck things up.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, so lightning strikes twice and City beat a Manchester team and play in the League Cup Final against Arsenal or Chelsea.

Both of those teams will probably be in one of the European competitions next season. Therefore even if City lost the final, would they qualify for the Europa League? When Swindon won the LC in 1969 the rule was only First Division clubs would be allowed to play in Europe. The following year when City reached the semis, the rules were changed so that if the winners were from a lower division, they'd still be allowed to play in the UEFA Cup (as was).

This site suggests only high placed Prem clubs will be allowed in that Europa league. https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Downside if City did qualify for Europe is that those games are played on Thursdays, with the next League game on the Sunday. For those who work odd shifts and for travelling fans, that could muck things up.

If the League Cup winners are already in a European competition then the Europa league place passes on to the next highest Premier League side not in Europe.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

If the League Cup winners are already in a European competition then the Europa league place passes on to the next highest Premier League side not in Europe.

Changed it after the Bradford game didn't they? If Swansea had magically made it to Europe already then Bradford would've been in EL in League One!! Or was it changed before hand

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Pity that. Remember Millwall reaching the final of the FA rather than the EFL cup v Man U. Utd had already qualified for Europe, so Millwall qualified for Europe.

2 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Changed it after the Bradford game didn't they? If Swansea had magically made it to Europe already then Bradford would've been in EL in League One!! Or was it changed before hand

Not sure when the rules were changed.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

Pity that. Remember Millwall reaching the final v Man U. Utd had already qualified for Europe, so Millwall qualified for Europe.

Really is a pity.

One of the reasons I'd actually think I'd take winning the cup over promotion (with a caveat or two in this situation) is not just that it would be our first major trophy ever, but also European football.

If, 4 years ago, when rooted bottom of League 1, someone said "don't worry mate. In 5 seasons time you will be playing in the Europa League" I'd have had them sectioned.

And that's without them saying we would do the lower league double the next season!

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, so lightning strikes twice and City beat a Manchester team 

We won't get pat the mighty Manchester Citeh. They're a fantastic team as the PL form shows. We'll lose both games probably by an agragate score of 5 or 6, maybe even 7 or 8.

The good news is two fold 1) City will have had a tremendous cup run and put City on the national map. 2) LJ will get the chance to meet his idol Pep and learn even more from the Man City set up and philosophy and that's a very positive factor for City under LJ.

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

3 draws could see us lift the cup

It could, but people could argue a win on penalties as winning the match.

We don't need penalties to get to the final with 2 draws and an away goals win would win the tie, but the 2 games are draws.

Edit- its all technicalities anyway 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We won't get pat the mighty Manchester Citeh. They're a fantastic team as the PL form shows. We'll lose both games probably by an agragate score of 5 or 6, maybe even 7 or 8.

The good news is two fold 1) City will have had a tremendous cup run and put City on the national map. 2) LJ will get the chance to meet his idol Pep and learn even more from the Man City set up and philosophy and that's a very positive factor for City under LJ.

He could learn more from Pep thats for sure, and hopefully Pep wont behave like a vinegar sour grapes PEG but LJ said that when he was at Oldham, he was already let in to learn from Man City.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Of course, a 2 - 2 draw at Manchester would leave us only needing a low scoring draw at the gate. Ihad forgotten the away goals rule for this one.  I assume that it applies.

Dream on Wendy! 

Man City are close to invincible as it gets. They're the real deal better even that Arsenal invincibles of a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dream on Wendy! 

Man City are close to invincible as it gets. They're the real deal better even that Arsenal invincibles of a few years ago.

And Pep only plays a strong side in these cups against the "big clubs" even in the semi finals, there is evidence of this through his managerial career.

He will play the Man City kids team and no reason we cannot get a result.

Man City also failed to score in 120 minutes against Wolves reserves.

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I tend to agree, but I cling to the fact that Wolves took them to penalties (and I shall be wearing my lucky underpants)

And I'll be wearing my lucky red socks. That why I'm apprehensive about this afternoons - they're in the wash......:facepalm:

We'll have a right go against Man City but they're streets ahead of everyone else. If Pep puts out the kids we might have a small chance but anything resembling their first 11 and we will probably get battered. Let's just enjoy the fact that we're in the semi final as, I would imagine, our run will, unfortunately, end against City. :(

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I remember us playing Leeds over 2 games in '74 in the FA Cup in January when Leeds were unbeaten in all competitions at the time, it can be done

Archived