IGNORED

Frank Lampard strongly linked with the Ipswich job

Lanterne Rouge

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think Lampard will do better than Gerrard in long term

I remember being laughed at in a pub in the early 90s when I pontificated out loud that Lampard would have a better playing career than Beckham - I reckon I was right! Lampard is a very grounded, professional guy, he had superb role models from a very young age - his Dad (good player) and his Uncle - Harry Redknapp. They taught him about the value of sheer bloody hard work....a big future awaits Frank junior...

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think Gerrard has taken a big risk with Rangers, do well and a prem club will go for him, do badly and it's probably back to an academy. 

I think the risk is more with Rangers than Gerrard, to be fair.

If he wins the title he will be an absolute hero to the fans, but if he doesn't he will be able to fall back on how far Rangers are behind Celtic structurally. Rangers seem to be bringing in a few players better than they have now, so it's likely that at the very least they should improve (and not take anymore 4/5 goal beatings against Celtic). He hasn't been left with a tough act to follow in recent seasons which is a bonus for him.

I believe Lampard had a few discussions about taking the Oxford Utd job last season. He's comes across as a level of intelligence above most former players, so I'd be really intrigued to see how he'd get on in management.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember being laughed at in a pub in the early 90s when I pontificated out loud that Lampard would have a better playing career than Beckham - I reckon I was right! Lampard is a very grounded, professional guy, he had superb role models from a very young age - his Dad (good player) and his Uncle - Harry Redknapp. They taught him about the value of sheer bloody hard work....a big future awaits Frank junior...

Agree, not a naturally gifted footballer, nor a tremendous athlete, but very effective none the less.  That’s not meant to do him down either.  You wonder how much better he could’ve been in an England shirt if they could have found a Chelsea-style role for him.

We've been associated with maybe every manager in the Championship, Leagues one and two in the last few weeks.  Even our own fans have no idea who to expect coming in.   Lampard is (or was) a very good player, bright, honest and committed and one of the best midfield players ever in the history of the Premier League but we have to look to the present and future and as for the idea he could come in and do a job for us as manager doesn't sit right with me.   

For one thing he possesses no actual managerial experience and we took a gamble before on a big name ex-player (Roy Keane) who also had little experience away from playing and he set the club back several years.    Jack Ross and Hurst, for who many of our support know little about, would remain to be best bet to take over McCarthy's "work" but that's not to say other candidates could still emerge or take the position.  

The biggest problem above all else is Marcus Evans himself.   Came out recently with a rare public appearance and put into focus a number of issues regarding the club but doesn't seem to speak from the heart.    Some insist he views Ipswich Town Football Club as a hobby or pastime than a viable business or working enterprise.    Getting rid of McCarthy was a big step forward but the owner remains the sole root of why this club hasn't progressed as it should.

Maybe it wasn't mentioned to Lampard when (or if) he was interviewed that there won't be any or little funds to work with.      Evans may be a multi-millionaire and provide cash to his other business enterprises but for whatever reason turns a blind eye to our needs and requirements.   Of course I wish him away from the club but it simply isn't as straight forward as it would appear.

24 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Getting rid of McCarthy was a big step forward.

Not so sure about that myself. If nothing changes from the top down then I can’t imagine anyone who could do more with next to nothing than MM. I agree you need a fresh impetus but if nothing changes ambition wise from the owner I think it could be a case of ‘careful what you wish for’.  

On 19/05/2018 at 18:38, myol'man said:

About time some of our ex England players tried club management instead of the easy tv pundit money 

the "wise after the event couch" is very easy money. I'd fully support Franks efforts to  be a manager. If ever there was a vacancy at Ashton Gate, I'd be supportive of a move to BS3

8 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

We've been associated with maybe every manager in the Championship, Leagues one and two in the last few weeks.  Even our own fans have no idea who to expect coming in.   Lampard is (or was) a very good player, bright, honest and committed and one of the best midfield players ever in the history of the Premier League but we have to look to the present and future and as for the idea he could come in and do a job for us as manager doesn't sit right with me.   

For one thing he possesses no actual managerial experience and we took a gamble before on a big name ex-player (Roy Keane) who also had little experience away from playing and he set the club back several years.    Jack Ross and Hurst, for who many of our support know little about, would remain to be best bet to take over McCarthy's "work" but that's not to say other candidates could still emerge or take the position.  

The biggest problem above all else is Marcus Evans himself.   Came out recently with a rare public appearance and put into focus a number of issues regarding the club but doesn't seem to speak from the heart.    Some insist he views Ipswich Town Football Club as a hobby or pastime than a viable business or working enterprise.    Getting rid of McCarthy was a big step forward but the owner remains the sole root of why this club hasn't progressed as it should.

Maybe it wasn't mentioned to Lampard when (or if) he was interviewed that there won't be any or little funds to work with.      Evans may be a multi-millionaire and provide cash to his other business enterprises but for whatever reason turns a blind eye to our needs and requirements.   Of course I wish him away from the club but it simply isn't as straight forward as it would appear.

If I were you, I would be happy to stay in the division next season.  

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do too but I still think there is a clear element of inconsistency with people who think:

a) Johnson's 5 years as a manager means he is not sufficiently qualified

b) Gerrard's 18 months youth coaching means he is not sufficiently qualified

c) Lampard's 9 months youth coaching qualifies him.

Personally I don't think experience is the be-all and end-all but I do think anyone who doesn't want Johnson on grounds of inexperience but does want Lampard is not being consistent.

There are other factors - Lampard will have a better reputation and ability to attract players, will raise the profile of a club and already have great connections. And it may be he actually has a personality better suited to management. However he's also spent his career at high-profile clubs with a high standard of player and many of the challenges managers face at a lower level - such as financial restrictions, working with less skilled and more tactically limited players and working with players who perhaps do not have the mindset and commitment of the very elite sports stars - might be new challenges and I don't think a career in the premier league and Champions League necessarily prepares someone for management. 

What I will say for Gerrard is that he turned down the MK Dons job in 2016 because he thought he was not ready and has clearly planned his move. There's talk Lampard might be offered a role soon coaching Chelsea's first team and I honestly think he most sensible course for him would be to take that for a year or two, learn all he can and then move into a managerial role. I don't think experience is the be-all and end-all but it does not hurt to get it. 

16 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

For one thing he possesses no actual managerial experience and we took a gamble before on a big name ex-player (Roy Keane) 

LJ at least had some managerial experience when SL brought him to City but the arguement around AG was "what's he ever won?"  and his critics still use that despite having just had the best season for several years.............:disapointed2se:

Its a well known fact that big name players don't always make good managers and it'll be interesting to see how Gerrard gets on in the Mickey Mouse SPL. 

Should the Tractor Boys take Lampard on it'll be an enormous gamble.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do too but I still think there is a clear element of inconsistency with people who think:

a) Johnson's 5 years as a manager means he is not sufficiently qualified

b) Gerrard's 18 months youth coaching means he is not sufficiently qualified

c) Lampard's 9 months youth coaching qualifies him.

Personally I don't think experience is the be-all and end-all but I do think anyone who doesn't want Johnson on grounds of inexperience but does want Lampard is not being consistent.

There are other factors - Lampard will have a better reputation and ability to attract players, will raise the profile of a club and already have great connections. And it may be he actually has a personality better suited to management. However he's also spent his career at high-profile clubs with a high standard of player and many of the challenges managers face at a lower level - such as financial restrictions, working with less skilled and more tactically limited players and working with players who perhaps do not have the mindset and commitment of the very elite sports stars - might be new challenges and I don't think a career in the premier league and Champions League necessarily prepares someone for management. 

What I will say for Gerrard is that he turned down the MK Dons job in 2016 because he thought he was not ready and has clearly planned his move. There's talk Lampard might be offered a role soon coaching Chelsea's first team and I honestly think he most sensible course for him would be to take that for a year or two, learn all he can and then move into a managerial role. I don't think experience is the be-all and end-all but it does not hurt to get it. 

Good post but the point you raise about ‘experience’ -

Exoerience is gained in many ways , and experience is of little use if you don’t learn from it

Whichever way you look at it, it's a massive gamble if he's appointed. 

@Eddie Hitler is quite right to point out the highly variable track record of top players going into management. 

I'm sure we all know people who were great at their job, but once they got promoted to a managerial/supervisory position were useless. 

On 20/05/2018 at 10:41, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lampard has a wealth of experience t a much higher level ,played for some of the best managers in theWorld

And would command instant respect on reputation and career alone

Not much different

It didn’t work out like that for Roy Keane though!

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post but the point you raise about ‘experience’ -

Exoerience is gained in many ways , and experience is of little use if you don’t learn from it

Absolutely agree with both points. Nonetheless I think there can be no dispute that Lampard lacks experience specifically of managing - or indeed playing - at this level and there is currently no evidence one way or another as to whether he would succeed or not. He could, of course, but it would be a punt into the unknown for any club that employed him. 

On 19/05/2018 at 19:20, BobBobSuperBob said:

Out that Golden generation have fancied him to do well

Highly Intelligent (Very high IQ)  & fully understands game 

Wouldn’t be a shouter but calm and steady

Educated in game from a child via Dad etc

He Achieved through hard work more than bundles of natural ability so knows what it takes

Would command respect in dressing room -

You could hardly say ‘What did you achieve as a player ?’ Could you

This is uncanny as this is almost an exact description of Lee Johnson.

The only difference is that LJ can't claim to have had a perfectly good World Cup goal disallowed.  However, as others have said, being a great player doesn't necessarily mean a great manager.

Great to see you coming round to LJ's qualities.

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

This is uncanny as this is almost an exact description of Lee Johnson.

The only difference is that LJ can't claim to have had a perfectly good World Cup goal disallowed.  However, as others have said, being a great player doesn't necessarily mean a great manager.

Great to see you coming round to LJ's qualities.

Yep he only falls way short in four , Maybe 5 of the seven by my reckoning

Great to see you still have those blinkers on 

7 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Just can’t see him making it as a manager,  or at least at a provincial club, too ‘clever’ and metropolitan a character. And in any case surely he has his hands full with Bleakley, Luna and Isla. 

I reckon Frank has good management credentials....it would be a shame if he priced himself out of his first job by demanding too big a salary....any potential suitors would have noted the breakdown of talks at Ipswich over his ‘personal terms’....

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Frank was interviewed twice apparently but they couldn’t agree personal terms.....bit arrogant if he demanded too much money as an unproven manager/coach.....obviously I’m just guessing....but that’s what it sounds like....

Rumour I read it Ipswich we're offering something like 1/5th or 1/4 of what mick was on 

Archived