IGNORED

Mason Greenwood

Fordy62

An interesting Statement by Raith Rovers over the Goodwillie signing

They obviously understood and considered the gravity of what opinion such a signing would make BUT it does beg the question WHY ??? considering the ramifications (losing main sponsor/Directors etc...) 

As announced on our website last night, Raith Rovers FC can confirm that we have signed David Goodwillie from Clyde FC.

David is a proven goal scorer, and this will be his second stint with the club, having previously played for us on loan from Dundee United during season 2007-08.

As with all new signings, the club has carefully considered our position as a Community Club and we completely respect the differing views among fans and stakeholders, many of whom we have spoken to directly in the past 24 hours and are continuing to engage with.

As David has previously played for Raith Rovers earlier in his career, we consider him to be part of Raith Rovers Football Club. The management team is familiar with David’s career and background and – in particular – his footballing ability. That is our foremost consideration, and we believe that he will strengthen the Raith Rovers playing squad.

Please be assured that as a community football club we fully acknowledge this signing has divided opinion amongst our loyal fans and commercial stakeholders; We aim to rebuild that trust.

While acknowledging the gravity of what happened ten years ago, as a club we fully support and encourage rehabilitation, and many factors influenced our signing.

First and foremost, this was a football related decision.

3 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Course it is. Its what I've been saying the whole time about football clubs somehow being a beacon of social justice and showing zero tolerance towards discrimination of any kind.

No they're not. It makes them feel good about themselves but when the chips are down, it all goes out the window. 

Just watched a YouTube video of 2 United fans talking about the greenwood situation. They believe the club knew about what he'd "allegedly" done back in late 2020 and covered it up because they wanted to finish in the top 4 and win the Europa league, and if Sir Alex knew and turned a blind eye to it then his statue should be taken down and the stand renamed. 

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

An interesting Statement by Raith Rovers over the Goodwillie signing

They obviously understood and considered the gravity of what opinion such a signing would make BUT it does beg the question WHY ??? considering the ramifications (losing main sponsor/Directors etc...) 

As announced on our website last night, Raith Rovers FC can confirm that we have signed David Goodwillie from Clyde FC.

David is a proven goal scorer, and this will be his second stint with the club, having previously played for us on loan from Dundee United during season 2007-08.

As with all new signings, the club has carefully considered our position as a Community Club and we completely respect the differing views among fans and stakeholders, many of whom we have spoken to directly in the past 24 hours and are continuing to engage with.

As David has previously played for Raith Rovers earlier in his career, we consider him to be part of Raith Rovers Football Club. The management team is familiar with David’s career and background and – in particular – his footballing ability. That is our foremost consideration, and we believe that he will strengthen the Raith Rovers playing squad.

Please be assured that as a community football club we fully acknowledge this signing has divided opinion amongst our loyal fans and commercial stakeholders; We aim to rebuild that trust.

While acknowledging the gravity of what happened ten years ago, as a club we fully support and encourage rehabilitation, and many factors influenced our signing.

A director stepped down, the fans liaison quit, the women's captain left the club, the shirt sponsor cancelled their contract....

• Admin
20 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Course it is. Its what I've been saying the whole time about football clubs somehow being a beacon of social justice and showing zero tolerance towards discrimination of any kind.

No they're not. It makes them feel good about themselves but when the chips are down, it all goes out the window. 

Just watched a YouTube video of 2 United fans talking about the greenwood situation. They believe the club knew about what he'd "allegedly" done back in late 2020 and covered it up because they wanted to finish in the top 4 and win the Europa league, and if Sir Alex knew and turned a blind eye to it then his statue should be taken down and the stand renamed. 

A Manager who left in 2013 and is 80 years old, why would he have any idea what the current players were doing in their private lives?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

A Manager who left in 2013 and is 80 years old, why would he have any idea what the current players were doing in their private lives?

He's still involved with the club on the board of directors. He still has a major role in club matters. 

You're right though, he may not have known .... But solskjaer has history of covering for players who commit sex crimes.... Google babacar sarr. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, The Batman said:

He's still involved with the club on the board of directors. He still has a major role in club matters. 

You're right though, he may not have known .... But solskjaer has history of covering for players who commit sex crimes.... Google babacar sarr. 

If there are people at Man U who knew the truth, then I doubt it was many, how could it have been kept quiet other wise, surely golden boy Rashford with his social conscience would have blown the lid if he’d known, wouldn’t he?

Just now, Maesknoll Red said:

If there are people at Man U who knew the truth, then I doubt it was many, how could it have been kept quiet other wise, surely golden boy Rashford with his social conscience would have blown the lid if he’d known, wouldn’t he?

??? You're funny. 

They wanted champions league football and to win the Europa league. As if they'd drop one of their top young talents in the process. 

The key is the Everton game that he missed in November 2020. An arrest was made on a Manchester based player around that time and he missed the Everton game due to "illness". Course once the Mendy stuff came out, everyone thought it was him..... Well.... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/solskjaer-reveals-why-greenwood-missed-everton-1-man-utd-2-on-7-nov-2020

Could be nothing. Could just be a nasty coincidence. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

??? You're funny. 

They wanted champions league football and to win the Europa league. As if they'd drop one of their top young talents in the process. 

The key is the Everton game that he missed in November 2020. An arrest was made on a Manchester based player around that time and he missed the Everton game due to "illness". Course once the Mendy stuff came out, everyone thought it was him..... Well.... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/solskjaer-reveals-why-greenwood-missed-everton-1-man-utd-2-on-7-nov-2020

Could be nothing. Could just be a nasty coincidence. 

I just can’t believe that if this was widely known in the club that it could be kept secret and more importantly there wouldn’t be at least some employees, be they players or other staff that wouldn’t take some sort of stand.  But then, if the girl and her family wanted to hush it up as well, who knows, maybe my slim hope of some decency left in the world is misguided.

7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I just can’t believe that if this was widely known in the club that it could be kept secret and more importantly there wouldn’t be at least some employees, be they players or other staff that wouldn’t take some sort of stand.  But then, if the girl and her family wanted to hush it up as well, who knows, maybe my slim hope of some decency left in the world is misguided.

It will come out in due course. Let the relevant authorities do their due dilligence and necessary enquiries and all will become clear (hopefully). 

Now on to Friday nights game on ITV where United are home to Boro in the cup. Nome of the media (bbc, sky, bt sport etc) have never asked Everton why their record £45 million signing and highest earner hasn't played all season (don't ??????) so I expect some carpet sweeping on Greenwood too. Protect the brand and all that. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was going to make the same point as YCbrs, but didn't really want to get pulled into the thread just to show I'm a 58-year-old music nerd.

Oh shit. I just have.  :facepalm:

That’s impressive for a 58 year old mate fair play to you!

• Admin
5 minutes ago, The Batman said:

It will come out in due course. Let the relevant authorities do their due dilligence and necessary enquiries and all will become clear (hopefully). 

Now on to Friday nights game on ITV where United are home to Boro in the cup. Nome of the media (bbc, sky, bt sport etc) have never asked Everton why their record £45 million signing and highest earner hasn't played all season (don't ??????) so I expect some carpet sweeping on Greenwood too. Protect the brand and all that. 

I have no idea how Everton’s record signing is, I will admit I have gone from being pretty fanatical, not missing one of our games and watching any games on TV, so having a good idea of players through the leagues, to feeling somewhat indifferent to football now, can’t exactly put my finger on why, probably a few reasons.

13 minutes ago, The Batman said:

You realise there isn't much they can say, yes? Especially if he's been charged by that point.

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

28 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Quite a few of the squad have already "unfollowed" him on his social media account(s), and were quick to do so from what I read.

Something like that wouldn't have been kept a secret, because stuff like that gets out.

If anybody did know about it, then they are as guilty as he is (or could be).

He's done. Whether he goes down for it or not, there isn't no coming back from that.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

You realise there isn't much they can say, yes? Especially if he's been charged by that point.

Reminds me of the Manchester Derby earlier in the season. It was just after the Yorkshire cricket story about the racist abuse the player received and Martin Tyler said on commentary that footballers were leading the way on social justice...... Didn't say why Mendy wasn't playing though.... 

We will see what happens come Friday evening

41 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

That’s impressive for a 58 year old mate fair play to you!

As you say, different genres entirely. Wiley certainly popularised grime and made chart-friendly versions which brought mainstream success  - so many have followed in his footsteps. I would say I was a fan of his flow and word-play, but his recent outbursts have taken him off my playlists. I have Jewish family. I can't forgive. 

10 hours ago, Taz said:

Quite a few of the squad have already "unfollowed" him on his social media account(s), and were quick to do so from what I read.

Something like that wouldn't have been kept a secret, because stuff like that gets out.

If anybody did know about it, then they are as guilty as he is (or could be).

He's done. Whether he goes down for it or not, there isn't no coming back from that.

I'm always a bit cynical about this, but given that most Man Utd players social media accounts will be largely managed for them - I am not sure this is that significant. 

As you say though, awful if others knew about it or even had an inkling but did nothing.

Innocent until proven guilty etc - but I really hope he isn't able to make this "go away" on account of having money. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm always a bit cynical about this, but given that most Man Utd players social media accounts will be largely managed for them - I am not sure this is that significant. 

As you say though, awful if others knew about it or even had an inkling but did nothing.

Innocent until proven guilty etc - but I really hope he isn't able to make this "go away" on account of having money. 

Unless it is proven that the issue was totally fabricated by his girlfriend it will not go away regardless of the final outcome. If he's reached the threshold to be charged (given it is common knowledge how incredibly difficult the offences he's being investigated for are to pass the charging threshold) the damage is done regardless of whether some top London QC does his stuff on behalf of Greenwood in court.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Unless it is proven that the issue was totally fabricated by his girlfriend it will not go away regardless of the final outcome. If he's reached the threshold to be charged (given it is common knowledge how incredibly difficult the offences he's being investigated for are to pass the charging threshold) the damage is done regardless of whether some top London QC does his stuff on behalf of Greenwood in court.

Let’s hope so. I’m not shocked by much, but the pictures were awful and that audio recording absolutely appalling.

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is a good point to be fair, just another example of them not being able to do anything themselves!

I'd be amazed if anyone knew about it, as there's a fine line between lads having "banter" and outright abuse, and this very clearly falls into the latter. Any half decent human being wouldn't be able to not do anything after hearing about something like this.

Can you imagine what would have happened if someone like Keane was still around now? I don't think it would be a prison cell he'd be in right now put it that way!!

SAF had his finger on the pulse all those years ago when you hear about the antics of the younger players around at the time, and the network of "informants" for want of a better word, he had reporting back to him. Think about the players he got rid of because they were more trouble than they were worth - talented but trouble - Lee Sharpe, Ravel Morrison, Paul Pogba (no comment) just to name a few off the top of head.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

That is a good point to be fair, just another example of them not being able to do anything themselves!

I'd be amazed if anyone knew about it, as there's a fine line between lads having "banter" and outright abuse, and this very clearly falls into the latter. Any half decent human being wouldn't be able to not do anything after hearing about something like this.

Can you imagine what would have happened if someone like Keane was still around now? I don't think it would be a prison cell he'd be in right now put it that way!!

SAF had his finger on the pulse all those years ago when you hear about the antics of the younger players around at the time, and the network of "informants" for want of a better word, he had reporting back to him. Think about the players he got rid of because they were more trouble than they were worth - talented but trouble - Lee Sharpe, Ravel Morrison, Paul Pogba (no comment) just to name a few off the top of head.

Giggs???

12 hours ago, The Batman said:

To be fair I don’t think it is fair to be asking the football manager leading questions about a pending court case. They are not lawyers or spokesmen, they are football managers.

Trying to misconstrue Ragernicks words to get a click bait headline is out of order.

Any statement should come from the clubs lawyers or official social media accounts so not to affect the legal proceedings.

Each case has to be taken on its own merits. Same happened with Mendy. He was released on bail then charged and went to prison and is now out on bail again pending trial. It'll be subject to a whole host of conditions, passport surrendering, no contact with people etc. 

Just to highlight my point again, let the necessary justice procedures take their course. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure how these things work (having never been in that sort of position), but can you only be remanded once charged?

Yes mate. People often get confused with the difference between charged and convicted. 

Charged means the lawyer thinks there’s a realistic prospect of conviction. You remand someone once charged because you think they’ll interfere with witnesses or commit further offences if they were released ion bail. If you don’t think this is the case then you must have all the evidence in your case, if you need to remand then a lawyer will agree for you to have a proportion of the evidence provided that more will be forthcoming during the investigation while the person awaits their trial in prison. 

This all sounds a bit technical!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1