IGNORED

3 Or 4 Exciting Players Lined Up...

Bristolian76

According to football manager (if that is anything to go by!) there is a sell-on clause in Lita's contract which see's either 20% or 25% of his next transfer fee going back to city. So if that source is a reliable one it could be a good bit of business as we'd be able to get him at a reduced rate, similar to how Sheffield United bought back Billy Sharp

I'm sorry, but much as I admire Fleetwood, there is no way he's up to Championship standard at present. He scored a lot early in the season but he's dried up since Christmas and some of the chances he misses would never be forgiven by Ashton Gate fans. For every goal he scores he'll usually miss 2 or 3 gilt-edged chances.

As Dan is an FGR supporter and knows most of his footie I'd take that as gospel.

Maynard would be the one if we are going to splash out on a striker.

Re: Leroy Lita.

He's quick and selfish. That, and his cocky overconfidence ( which makes him a prat offield) is what makes him the proper goalscorer we lack. I'm pretty sure that at his age he wants to be playing first team football, and he ain't been doing that at Reading and his lack of first team football seems to tie in with his off field activities and his loan in January could indicate that he's burned his boats with Coppell, so needs to move to another club.

This club has changed since he was here, and he is probably well aware of that. He knows that if he comes back and scores like he used to that he will be hero worshipped, but also knows that carrying on like a prize prat off field will not do him any favours with Gj, so has to decide whether he's prepared toe the GJ line. For his part I'm sure Gj will make it clear that won't get any more second chances but could rebuild his faltering career.

When you see Coventry being prepared to pay £1.5m for Eastwood, comparing their respective records I know which of the two I'd want here.

I like those names there, I am a Joe Garner fan got friends at carlisle who say he is god up there and i watched him at cheltenham not so long ago, he has a good attitude, got pace, can score goals and is good in the air

for his size, a very hard working player and is only 20,

garner has pace which we have lacked up front in certain games

http://www.carlisleunited.premiumtv.co.uk/...1~38226,00.html

Dean Lewington from MK Dons is another good shout.

I would definately sign Maynard and Garner then pick one of Lita, Nugent or Earnshaw.

Clear out the current strikers apart from Adebola, that should give us a bit of everything, pace, experience, big man, goal scorers, youth.

Ambitious but now is the time to take advantage of where we have finished this season. :winner_third_h4h:

Personally I think Johnson will try and sign Garner and Lita. Or Lita and some foriegn dude maybe from a club such as Standard Liege :yes:

I would definately sign Maynard and Garner then pick one of Lita, Nugent or Earnshaw.

Clear out the current strikers apart from Adebola, that should give us a bit of everything, pace, experience, big man, goal scorers, youth.

Ambitious but now is the time to take advantage of where we have finished this season. :winner_third_h4h:

In fairness, whilst that would be the 3 or 4 exciting players that GJ is saying, that would be about 5 million quids worth and I don't think we will be spending that much.

This has become a thread listing the usual suspects it seems to me. Given Gary's track record I'm inclined to expect a few surprises. The question is what does "3 or 4 exciting players lined up" mean? Gary and Steve consistently talked last summer of adding "1 or 2" to the squad. Before we knew it half the squad had changed. I'm sure more than the 5 officially released players will leave so who knows how many might come in? Alternatively Gary may want a smaller but stronger squad. As to "exciting", what excites Gary may not excite you at first glance. How many were jumping up and down when he signed Marvin, but what a signing? "Lined up" could mean anything from players we are interested in to players for whom deals have already been agreed. Time for a transfer rumours sub form Mods? :innocent06:

In fairness, whilst that would be the 3 or 4 exciting players that GJ is saying, that would be about 5 million quids worth and I don't think we will be spending that much.

Your not wrong £5m is a hell of a lot of cash but if we are serious about moving to the Prem then that is the kind of outlay needed.

Yeah just ask Charlton etc about buying loads of strikers for lots of money works all the time that does.

Balance is the key I think we need two new strikers one proven - Lita would be my choice - One "unknown prospect"

We need a right winger and then one or two signings across the board.

Gary will be thinking out of the box so we shall see.

Yeah just ask Charlton etc about buying loads of strikers for lots of money works all the time that does.

Balance is the key I think we need two new strikers one proven - Lita would be my choice - One "unknown prospect"

We need a right winger and then one or two signings across the board.

Gary will be thinking out of the box so we shall see.

I agree about balance and the need for a right winger but your comparison to Charlton is frankly nonsence, they recruited 4 strikers (Varney, McLeod, Iwelumo and Gray) well we recruited 3... whats your point

Are you trying to imply that recruiting strikers will somehow damage our prospects next season as I am sure WBA who recruited at least 4 strikers and Stoke 4 this season will easily argue that point.

We have a very good squad but the strikers have not produced, no time for sentiment if were serious about progressing.

Personally, I would like to see us sign Dean Lewington from MK Dons, Joe Garner from Carlisle, Mark Yeates from Colchester and Aaron McLean from Peterborough.

I think all of them are achievable targets, with the possible exception of McLean who may need a bit of Cotterill style unsettling to make it happen, as well as quite a deep rummage in the pockets.

All of them are only acheiveable in the sense they'll fit in our wage structure. The money they'd cost in transfer fee's could be a lot better spent elsewhere if we're serious about Premier League football next year.

There's no way in hell McLean will be leaving the Posh this summer for anything less than £3m and he's simply not worth that. For me, Maynard's the one we should be going for if we're looking at splashing £m's on a lower league striker.

Garner's not going to be fit til Xmas and there's no telling how he's going to come back from that injury let alone if he can make the immediate step up to Championship standard. That's why he shouldn't be a contender this time round.

Yeates is a good player but not the pacy, direct winger we're all craving down the right. Lee Croft is available from Norwich this summer as Roeder doesn't fancy him and he would be absolutely ideal for that role IMHO.

Lewington's an interesting one. I've never rated him personally but we do need stregthening at left-back and he probably would be available at a reasonable price. Personally, I'd love to see Ribeiro given a run out and us busting a gut to sign Richard Stearman from Leicester. That would see all bases convered across the back line.

I agree about balance and the need for a right winger but your comparison to Charlton is frankly nonsence, they recruited 4 strikers (Varney, McLeod, Iwelumo and Gray) well we recruited 3... whats your point

Are you trying to imply that recruiting strikers will somehow damage our prospects next season as I am sure WBA who recruited at least 4 strikers and Stoke 4 this season will easily argue that point.

We have a very good squad but the strikers have not produced, no time for sentiment if were serious about progressing.

I imagine the point was that they were not conspicuously successful? Pardew seemed to operate the next cab off the rank principal. Signed the four you mentioned them more attacking palyers on loan. Result being they dropped out of the race. Shows that throwing money at names is not always the right way, not that signing strikers is not a good idea.

I imagine the point was that they were not conspicuously successful? Pardew seemed to operate the next cab off the rank principal. Signed the four you mentioned them more attacking palyers on loan. Result being they dropped out of the race. Shows that throwing money at names is not always the right way, not that signing strikers is not a good idea.

Nail on head.

At the end of the day it is easy to say we need 4 new strikers (I don't think we do need that many) and then naming names that EVERYONE Else will be looking at to.

It is not realistic in the slightest and no it is not the same as what West Brom did look at the strikers they bought were they the Sharps, Eastwoods etc of last season?

I don't think so?

Your idea is good when you are playing a computer game in real life it does not work thats just my opinion though we cant hope to sign the two you name and one from the other three.

Lita and Maynard would be amazing but I just don't think thats what we are going to see.

Good shout on Croft by the way would be a fantastic signing.

Personally, I would like to see us sign Dean Lewington from MK Dons, Joe Garner from Carlisle, Mark Yeates from Colchester and Aaron McLean from Peterborough.

I think all of them are achievable targets, with the possible exception of McLean who may need a bit of Cotterill style unsettling to make it happen, as well as quite a deep rummage in the pockets.

Only one of them has CCC experience and I'm not sure that Johnson would risk signing players who have yet to prove themselves higher up.

Eastwood didn't last season and neither did Trundle - although he got better over the last 4 games. :noexpression:

Johnson may well think twice about taking such a chance on again. He may well prefer to opt for players with a proven record.

Time will tell.

although getting both is dream land stuff, Lita and Maynard together will be very simliar types of player, I would have thought you would go for one or the other, alongside a bigger striker like Adebola, or have them on the last mans shoulder waiting for Trundles slide rule passes. If you have the money, Litas transfer fee and wages would be higher, and there is more chance of immediate goals and off the pitch problems, if you don't have as much money, and/ or you don't want the potential aggro in the city centre, Maynard would be great, but there is the chance that he wouldnt score as many straight away. Either would be great though.

Nail on head.

At the end of the day it is easy to say we need 4 new strikers (I don't think we do need that many) and then naming names that EVERYONE Else will be looking at to.

It is not realistic in the slightest and no it is not the same as what West Brom did look at the strikers they bought were they the Sharps, Eastwoods etc of last season?

I don't think so?

Your idea is good when you are playing a computer game in real life it does not work thats just my opinion though we cant hope to sign the two you name and one from the other three.

Lita and Maynard would be amazing but I just don't think thats what we are going to see.

Good shout on Croft by the way would be a fantastic signing.

Your right it is easy to say sign four strikers but I believe I recommended signing 3 and suggested Johnson would sign 2 but hey ho if you read that as four then maybe its you that needs to lay off playing the video games. :disapointed2se:

I still think we need to focus on creative players in midfield.

WE NEED TO CREATE CHANCES FOR OUR STRIKERS TO MISS!

Simple as that, because we wont ever buy ourselves a striker who scores 20 goals out of nothing.

Did we create a goalscoring chance on Sat? I can think of one and we blew it.

I still think we need to focus on creative players in midfield.

Simple as that, because we wont ever buy ourselves a striker who scores 20 goals out of nothing.

Did we create a goalscoring chance on Sat? I can think of one and we blew it.

Saturday

City - Shots on Target - 13

City - Shots off Target - 8

Hull - Shots on Target - 4

Hull - Shots off Target - 7

Source - BBC.

Think those stats speak for themselves..........we had the chances but couldn't finish them

Saturday

City - Shots on Target - 13

City - Shots off Target - 8

Hull - Shots on Target - 4

Hull - Shots off Target - 7

Source - BBC.

Think those stats speak for themselves..........we had the chances but couldn't finish them

13 on target surely that isn't right?

You're right, but Sproule has the potential, McIndoe didn't perform too his potential (in my opinion), Carle was creative (but was subbed off), Elliot does more defensively, and Johnson normally can create chances, but didn't much on Saturday.

I think Lita would be a quality signing. Him and Trundle. City's football is already based more on the floor and therefore I don't think we need the typical English "targetman" as such. So they would work fine as a pair.

You're right, but Sproule has the potential, McIndoe didn't perform too his potential (in my opinion), Carle was creative (but was subbed off), Elliot does more defensively, and Johnson normally can create chances, but didn't much on Saturday.

I think Lita would be a quality signing. Him and Trundle. City's football is already based more on the floor and therefore I don't think we need the typical English "targetman" as such. So they would work fine as a pair.

I'm glad someone else wrote exactly what I was thinking! In Trundle and Carle we have two unbelieveably creative players who we have yet to see the best out of. Trundle is well known to have created something like 50% of swanseas goals whilst there and has started to show these qualities in the last few games when his own confidence has finally been good and has been given a run in the team. Wasnt it only in the second Palace game that Trundle had started 3 games in a row for the first time since Jan?? Once Carle has a full pre-season and gets a goal he could be a really big player for us next year and I feel will take Johnsons place in the team as a more complete player.

Id be excited by the prospect of Lita / Trundle. Lita has he pace, energy and work rate to get at defenders plus he is a good header of the ball, and Trundle can produce the magic that can bring the best out of others. Lita is a 20 goal a season striker but will need the likes of Trundle, Carle and McIndoe to create the opportunitites for him.

Id like to see some new defensive faces to freshen it up thou, we won alot of games this year through gritty displays and good defensive work but this is the same defence from 2 seasons back (including this one) and we need new players to give competition.

I hope GJ has the same criteria as me when picking our next forward. I only have 2 requirements:

1) He must have pace. A lot of.

2) He must be someone I haven't heard of.

1) is pretty obvious. 2) is because we need a hungry young forward who will die for the cause. Lita and Earnshaw type players don't fit the bill.

This means I have narrowed it down to...well, by definition, I don't know!

Archived