IGNORED

Nick Carle Gone To Palace / Replacements

leader

I'll throw a name into the hat, Jonny Howson of Leeds Utd.

He's young, a very energetic box to box midfielder with an eye for goal.

Like I said, just throwing a name into the hat, no source or anything like that.

Edit: Ah well, he seems to have just agreed a new deal at Leeds, so that would seem to rule that out!!

this is shock news, I am gutted. I can only assume that as no replacement will be named until Carle is gone, that there is a crystal palace player, or 2, coming the other way. If Watson isnt signing a new contract and wants to leave, there is a chance it could be him, kind of like for like, and they get carle who is presumably committing to 3 or 4 years, and move out Watson, who isnt signing a contract with them. It does seem to me to be a side ways move for Carle, and Watson, if he was to come to us. I wouldnt be surprised if it was Carl Fletcher plus cash, but they do have a fair few hard working committed type players who GJ would approve of.

GJ must have something up his sleeve to have let this go through, and I also wouldnt be surprised if the club was to swap/ part exchange Carle for Watson.

Palace fans recon we could be in for Fletcher? He seems a GJ sort of player. Would be happy if we got some cash for Carle plus him.

I hope not. He's just a spoiler, we have a far better player for that role in Elliott. I think that's just Palace fans talking b***ocks, I suspect the replacement is not coming from Palace at all and the David Jones shout seems the most realistic to me.

Not interested in all this Man U & Ronaldo talk... :fastasleep:

Carle going is a big big shock to me, as it is to us all. But there must be a very good reason why he is being sold. An offer we just couldnt refuse springs to mind.. GJ must have something abit special lined up to replace him so I am not going to comment too much until I know the full story, and I would have been more upset if we had sold Marv, Basso, LJ, McIndoe or Louis who have all proved how invaluable they are to the team..

Going to wait until the full story is out on this one..

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't our poor run of form at the end of the season coincide with LJ being injured and Carle coming in as a replacement?

LJ makes things happen.....Nick Carle doesn't.

Factually inorrect.

LJ's final start last season was at Southampton, at which time we had won 1 game out of the previous 5.

After that, Carle's first start was at Sheff Utd, which we lost (but for me in terms of performance was a turning point). Carle then played the following 3 games (Preston, Palace and Palace), all of which we won playing good football.

Carle was involved in the 2 assists at Palace, possibly others as well, I cant remember.

IMO the best starting line-up we had last season was those final 5 games, including the Hull final.

Carle was beginning to show real glimpses of skill, inventiveness, work-rate and more.

I have faith in Johnson, but in my view it wont be easy finding a replacement.

Only if the player is intent on joining them.

For what it's worth, I think that Carle will go but it isn't as cut and dried as we are given to believe.

Enoch and Leeds springs to mind..

Once GJ decides he doesn't want a player then that is it. How are we to know that by Enoch not going that caused another transfer to fall through.

We've chosen to get rid for whatever reason. That's done. But yeah the guy coming in must surely improve upon Nick Carle in GJ's eyes.

Thats right. Gary always said he would not bring someone in unless they improve on what he has got... the thing is Carle will have gone before the new guy comes in even if only by 30 seconds. :noexpression:

A real shocker this one. I hope GJ can assuage our huge disappointment with a cracker of a replacement and that this is not one of the 2 or 3 or even 3 or 4 he has planned to come in.

Is Ben Watson any better than Carle? I would venture to say not in our team formation. Too much like LJ. Perhaps Becks has had enough of Californian Burgers.

The news about Carle has stunned me.

Whatever you think of Carle and his performance last season there is NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that he was one of the top ten players at the club. In this sense, for a club professing itself to be ambitious, this news is shocking and will only be understandable if

1. the player himself wanted to leave
  2. the amount on offer is too good to turn down
  3. Johnson has "a better player" to replace him
  4. He didn't achieve Johnson's "standards" or they "fell out" in some way

Only time will tell and expose the real truth.

If Johnson has "already got a replacement lined up" then we can reasonably expect this player to have a better reputation than Carle.

It will be interesting to discover the true story behind this move and the way the club handles it could either seal or destroy the club's stated intention of progessing as a force in the CCC.

For me, the biggest sin is selling Carle to a rival in the CCC. This smacks of naivety and it would be ironic indeed if Carle's performance for Palace this season took them above us in the challenge that lies ahead.

I await July 1st with great interest and trepidation.

The news about Carle has stunned me.

Whatever you think of Carle and his performance last season there is NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that he was one of the top ten players at the club. In this sense, for a club professing itself to be ambitious, this news is shocking and will only be understandable if

1. the player himself wanted to leave
  2. the amount on offer is too good to turn down
  3. Johnson has "a better player" to replace him
  4. He didn't achieve Johnson's "standards" or they "fell out" in some way

Only time will tell and expose the real truth.

If Johnson has "already got a replacement lined up" then we can reasonably expect this player to have a better reputation than Carle.

It will be interesting to discover the true story behind this move and the way the club handles it could either seal or destroy the club's stated intention of progessing as a force in the CCC.

For me, the biggest sin is selling Carle to a rival in the CCC. This smacks of naivety and it would be ironic indeed if Carle's performance for Palace this season took them above us in the challenge that lies ahead.

I await July 1st with great interest and trepidation.

Palace fans forums are stating the deal is a million pounds.

I really cant belive that, and if true it is not a good deal in anyway for City.

Sure you will all agree?

Palace fans forums are stating the deal is a million pounds.

I really cant belive that, and if true it is not a good deal in anyway for City.

Sure you will all agree?

Like I said earlier, Cotterill = £2 Million Nick Carle = ALOT MORE

What concerns me is that selling Nick sends out a message to other clubs, including in our own league, that we are ready to sell our best players and to our players that we're quite prepared to let them go. We can't put the genie back in the bottle. :disapointed2se:

Fed up with what exactly ???

You cant see a player out there - did you see Carle before us then....and Elliot ?

GJ didnt just sell him 'behind his back' he knew about it. Before ranting Tin, just chill and wait to see the replacement. Remember GJ has all the stats we don't see re fitness levels, etc...he knows what he is doing mate so keep the faith....has he let us down before ?

:englandsmile4wf:

don't think Tin is ranting Matt, more really sad and upset to see Carle leave.

Tin is a die hard City fan, following our lot all round the country, and has superb knowledge of Bristol City for such a young man. He can, like us all, see that Carle would of been a massive assist to City next season, and now that has been blown away.

Like Tin says, is there anyone out there better for the sort of money City will be talking about?

I don't think so!!!!!

Shocked about this and was impressed with Carle at the end of the season, but someone playing in his position needs to add a few goals to his game. So if we have someone lined up who can't do drag backs but can shoot it will be an improvement. Just have to wait and see.

Agreed. 1 Million is an absolute giveaway unless there is a player coming our way as well. Frankly, not sure if any of the Palace players would float my boat. Perhaps GJ's going for one of their front men.. I thought they were good but not that good.

Perhaps Jordan had some leverage with SL over the abuse issue outside the Williams! Something here does not stack up just yet.

Doesn't improve the team if we sell all the gems though does it.

It does if he can then buy an even better player, or with greater potential.

Also, we don't know what is behind the transfer. What if Carle has indicated he is not happy at BCFC? What if his family haven't been able to settle in Bristol? What if we have received an offer " to good to turn down" a la Cotterill? What if GJ has been unhappy with NC's attitide/fitness? What if GJ is worried about the amount of time NC will be absent on Aussie World Cup Duty? There are any number of reasons why GJ may feel the transfer is right for the club, because I don;t think he would consider it otherwise..

It might just be that the replacement we are getting became unexpectedly available, in addition to GJ's original planned "exciting" addditions, and this has led to NC's transfer - not the other way around. If Palace came in with the right offer for NC then it representes good business all round.

A mill is an absolute steal from their point of view. :disapointed2se:

I'm stunned.

We have no idea what the actual figure he will go for is - that figure has just been bandied around by a Palace website probably as something they feel Carle is worth.

I am shocked that NC is going but I have to say that I trust GJ and we will watch developments closely as to who else comes in.

Keep the faith

CTID

Terms are agreed between the club and player.

Carle is set to have his medical with us in the next 24 hours.

Surprised we're signing him in all honesty. Pleasantly surprised at that.

Is there any suggestion from the palace end whether anyone is coming this way as part of the deal? Fletcher or Watson?

In terms of points total, and the games between us last year, there is obvously very little between the clubs, although I would acknowledge that palace are more well established championship club, so it does seem that this is a sideways move.

Archived