IGNORED

Moaners Pack Yer Bags

southvillekiddy

City's league position is still fragile and its entirely understandable that Millen would want to protect any lead City might have. Points are even more crucial when your're in the drop zone.

When City get at least 10 points above the drop zone I'm sure we'll see Millen going to kill off games rather than 'holding on'.

As for the style of football being the same - have you actually watched any live games this season? Have you not noticed that Millen plays with two wingers that inject pace into the team? Thats something Johnson rarely, if ever, did.

all points are crucial no matter where you are in the league. 3 points can get you out of trouble, get you into or near the playoff zone or into the top 2 depending where you are.

You honestly think Millens going to hit on a winning formula then get into a certain position in the league and say 'right lads I know we've done brilliantly so far and as a result of that I'm going to change the way we play'?

You honestly think Millens going to hit on a winning formula then get into a certain position in the league and say 'right lads I know we've done brilliantly so far and as a result of that I'm going to change the way we play'?

I was thinking along the lines of substitutions, not change the way City play. Its about having the right mindset which if you are down the bottom can naturally tend to be cautious and defensive. If you are mid table or above then its far easier to be more proactive and trying to kill off a game.

I'm sure Millen will adopt a more attacking approach with his substitutions when City are in a safer position.

I was thinking along the lines of substitutions, not change the way City play. Its about having the right mindset which if you are down the bottom can naturally tend to be cautious and defensive. If you are mid table or above then its far easier to be more proactive and trying to kill off a game.

I'm sure Millen will adopt a more attacking approach with his substitutions when City are in a safer position.

Managers very very rarely make attacking subs in games there allready winning. I have no idea what you've seen to suggest Millens suddenly going to buck that trend.

Managers very very rarely make attacking subs in games there allready winning. I have no idea what you've seen to suggest Millens suddenly going to buck that trend.

I guess I'm more perceptive than you.

Mourinho use to make proactive substitutions regularly. Could be partly why Chesea won the PL.

When Millen feels that City can afford to be a bit more 'gung ho' in order to kill off games the he'll do it - but not while City remain so near the drop zone.

Jose use to go 1-0 up and then defend it in the classic Arsenal under george graham,

I'd take that as I said before perfomances aren't the most important thing at the moment getting points is,

the unconvinig perfomances are worrying yest but we're grinding them out so hats off to the players and the manager,

Millens fault is he's to stubbern to change things (worse then johnson) but and I'll take my hat off to him he is learning all the time ,

But like others have pointed out lets wait the next 5 games before you gloat and try and get one upmanships,

and I'll say it again I'm on the fence I'm yet to be convinced that millen can do it long time

Mourinho use to make proactive substitutions regularly. Could be partly why Chesea won the PL.

When Millen feels that City can afford to be a bit more 'gung ho' in order to kill off games the he'll do it - but not while City remain so near the drop zone.

classic. thanks for the laugh.

Yes, when things were going badly. He would quite happily sub two players after half an hour if he thought it necessary. But when in front he would shut the game down. Whereas surprisingly perhaps (given the reputation of Italian managers as negative) Ancellotti has tended to try to turn a 2-0 into a 6-0. It takes all sorts but with few exceptions they are looking for results first and entertainment after. Who can blame them?

I'm really quite amazed how passionate some people get about this. That's what supporting a football club is all about I suppose, but on a thread like this I really think comments suggesting Millen should be sacked are just rediculous. I love a pasionate football fan, but someone who is passionate about getting the manager sacked, and showing a passionate belief we are going to get relegated...seriously?

well we done it at least we got out of bottom 3 know there has been major problems and just when we think we are over the worse the £12 debt and the possibity of loosing james in jan i think was very unsettling for the preston game but beating the swans well wow wow wow - things can only get better PLEASE BELIEVE

Take the blinkers off, the style of football is the same. Get a goal up, pack the midfield, try and hold on for the win. You can't deny that.

Its not the same at all, we are now more of a counter attacking side.GJ just tried to hold on and had no attacking ambition if we were one up.

KM's tactics are making us very hard to breakdown and then we are counter attacking with pace.

Its not the same at all, we are now more of a counter attacking side.GJ just tried to hold on and had no attacking ambition if we were one up.

KM's tactics are making us very hard to breakdown and then we are counter attacking with pace.

Spot on PB, it's beyond me that people can't see KM has set us up as a classic counter attacking team, which we weren't under GJ.

I had my doubts about millen - still do, but I think thats fair, as he is a rookie manager.

At one point I wanted him out - because I could'nt see things getting any better on the pitch.

As things stand - Millen deserves credit for turning things around and he is showing signs that he'll make a good manager.

But we're not out of the woods yet and the jury is still out - but I am feeling optimistic and I believe we can stay up - for the first time this season probabaly.....

Cant wait for saturday and am 100% behind millen.

The point about counter attacking is an interesting one and may explain why we are doing better away from AG and against the likes of QPR at home, where we are under the cosh.

It's inevitably not going to work as well against dross like Preston at AG, where we are expecting to win and dominate (which may explain why we did neither).

The point about counter attacking is an interesting one and may explain why we are doing better away from AG and against the likes of QPR at home, where we are under the cosh.

It's inevitably not going to work as well against dross like Preston at AG, where we are expecting to win and dominate (which may explain why we did neither).

Yes it is interesting, 2 things occur to me, 1. KM needs to come with a different set up and tactics at home if they are clearly not working and 2. the success of a counter attacking team relies on a striker who can hold the ball up, which Stead does very well indeed, it also relies on a striker who can hit the target and take his chances when they are presented, which Haynes dosen't (because by definition counter attacking may only create a few chances per game).

One last point, is it a coincidence this mini run coincides with LJ being in the team?.

Also can I just add my feelings are 100% the same as Riaz with this one.

Yes it is interesting, 2 things occur to me, 1. KM needs to come with a different set up and tactics at home if they are clearly not working and 2. the success of a counter attacking team relies on a striker who can hold the ball up, which Stead does very well indeed, it also relies on a striker who can hit the target and take his chances when they are presented, which Haynes dosen't (because by definition counter attacking may only create a few chances per game).

One last point, is it a coincidence this mini run coincides with LJ being in the team?.

Also can I just add my feelings are 100% the same as Riaz with this one.

Theres another thread debating that topic right now.

And you're right about Millen having to develop an alternative way of playing at home. Obviously counter attacking at AG only works when the opposition are chasing the game but its getting into the lead in the first place thats been the problem.

Having two wide men is the right way to go but City have repeatly not got enough men in the box to take advantage at AG and numerous crosses go to waste. Maybe 3-4-1-2 would enable more men to get forward.

But....... Millen is a smart cookie and I have no doubt at all that he'll come up with an effective way of playing at AG.

Theres another thread debating that topic right now.

And you're right about Millen having to develop an alternative way of playing at home. Obviously counter attacking at AG only works when the opposition are chasing the game but its getting into the lead in the first place thats been the problem.

Having two wide men is the right way to go but City have repeatly not got enough men in the box to take advantage at AG and numerous crosses go to waste. Maybe 3-4-1-2 would enable more men to get forward.

But....... Millen is a smart cookie and I have no doubt at all that he'll come up with an effective way of playing at AG.

Time will tell, but hopefully not too much time.

In his own words, Brian Clough reckoned he won two European cups by playing counter attacking football.

its a great way to play imo, suck teams in and counter attack with pace. Can remember when Forest ripped us apart at the gate with Collymore upfront.

Cant remember if Cloughie was still manager then but Forest and Collymore played counter attacking football at its best,4-1 they beat us i think?

its a great way to play imo, suck teams in and counter attack with pace. Can remember when Forest ripped us apart at the gate with Collymore upfront.

Cant remember if Cloughie was still manager then but Forest and Collymore played counter attacking football at its best,4-1 they beat us i think?

Didn't Collymore score all 4 goals?

Anyway, Clough was a rigid 4-4-2 man, counter attacking or otherwise.

I believe Frank Clarke was manager at the time.

Archived