IGNORED

Millen Moving In The Right Direction

Robbored

I don't think its just manager pushing this its more the board who have invested a hell of alot of money into our youth and see very little return,

Alot of our rated youth player are simply not good enough we need to relise this there are a few who have slipped through the net like Harley,

We have 7 spaces on the bench if millen puts 3 younger player on that then we'll have a chance to devlop them more (whats the point in having say Ivan Sproule on the bench when we could of had Lennox who i rate there and given him 10 minutes here and there)

If it works then credit to him and it is a policy that should of been made as soon as it went from 5 to 7 on the bench

There is some good prospects the likes of Byran Rigg and Holloway, these players we should be looking at to be in and around the first team

That whole article is about how millen wants to develop our own players and then the last paragraph says this:

Millen, meanwhile, is next week expected to complete a deal to extend the loan spell of West Ham United full-back Jordan Spence for the remainder of the season.

That whole article is about how millen wants to develop our own players and then the last paragraph says this:

considering Carey, Fontaine, Macca, and Wilson are injured, Hunt is nowhere and Ribs isn't match fit, keeping Spence is the only sensible option Millen has.

It's not really a slight on the youth team to have a few talented loanees in the side

considering Carey, Fontaine, Macca, and Wilson are injured, Hunt is nowhere and Ribs isn't match fit, keeping Spence is the only sensible option Millen has.

It's not really a slight on the youth team to have a few talented loanees in the side

Joe Edwards?

Joe Edwards?

Was injured when we signed Spence and Spence offers cover across the back line for the rest of the season.

Has anyone actually seen Joe play? I haven't, but he seems very small for a pro... what are his strengths?

edit:

Also, heres a scenario; we dont keep Spence and Edwards is given his chance, He has an absolute nightmare and his confidence is shot, Loan window now shut and Ribeiro takes yet another knock or whatever else in his return to fitness...

Where are we left then? Play Hunt? or risk completely destroying Edwards' confidence and perhaps even his career?

Hypothetical of course, but stranger things have happened.

But if we're safe, why not blood a couple of the "development squad"

The experience gained from this would surely be more beneficial than an extra years "training" so to speak?

Was injured when we signed Spence and Spence offers cover across the back line for the rest of the season.

Has anyone actually seen Joe play? I haven't, but he seems very small for a pro... what are his strengths?

edit:

Also, heres a scenario; we dont keep Spence and Edwards is given his chance, He has an absolute nightmare and his confidence is shot, Loan window now shut and Ribeiro takes yet another knock or whatever else in his return to fitness...

Where are we left then? Play Hunt? or risk completely destroying Edwards' confidence and perhaps even his career?

Hypothetical of course, but stranger things have happened.

Your missing the point. MILLEN is contradicting himself.

Whether or not Joe Edwards is good enough or not - he is doing exactly what he says he does not want to do earlier in the article.

Giving first team players too long and not giving the younger proffesionals at the club a chance.

You say Louie Spence is here to cover the whole backline but I'd bet good money he does not play anywhere but right back.

I agree with those that are saying millen speaks too much...

But if we're safe, why not blood a couple of the "development squad"

The experience gained from this would surely be more beneficial than an extra years "training" so to speak?

beacue we're not safe until the team 3rd from bottom can't catch us (unlikely I know)

theres is a tiny small tiny chance of the playoffs (unlikely I know)

and the higher up the league you finish the more money you get,

I'd rather have the experanced players playing and the youngsters on the bench giving the them 10 - 15 minutes here or there which does aid their devlopment not throw them in at the deep end,

I am a if their good enough their old enough man but I've seen very little from our youngsters to say they are good enough yet hence breaking them in slowly

So this development squad will actually play games together? If so who against?

I'm all for him promoting a youth policy and giving them every chance to be a success with us but I cant work out what actual practical differences he can make other than giving them an extra year at the club to develop. but that year needs to be used the right way and I dont see from that article what the intention is.

It could be its an idea at the moment and Millen is still working on how it will work in practice of course.

So this development squad will actually play games together? If so who against?

I'm all for him promoting a youth policy and giving them every chance to be a success with us but I cant work out what actual practical differences he can make other than giving them an extra year at the club to develop. but that year needs to be used the right way and I dont see from that article what the intention is.

It could be its an idea at the moment and Millen is still working on how it will work in practice of course.

Here's your answer -

"He (Millen) said: "I want to put in place a development group of players aged 21 and under. Ideally, I would like to run with a smaller first- team squad backed up by a development group of about half a dozen, with a view to coming up to the senior team."

I'm surprised you missed that in the article.

Here's your answer -

"He (Millen) said: "I want to put in place a development group of players aged 21 and under. Ideally, I would like to run with a smaller first- team squad backed up by a development group of about half a dozen, with a view to coming up to the senior team."

to be fair robbo Coppell and millen we're both told to reduce the squad so thats not a new thing,

We still have 30 odd pro's thats 6-8 to many

Here's your answer -

I didnt miss that in the article but it doesnt answer my question. He says "with a view to".

He goes onto say "It will include the older players in the Academy set-up and our first and second year professionals."

so I'm asking if these players will play as a squad themselves with games against other teams or if they'll just be training with the 1st team squad as some do now but just for an extra year.

you seem to know exactly how it will be structured so you can tell us all.

Whether or not Joe Edwards is good enough or not - he is doing exactly what he says he does not want to do earlier in the article.

Giving first team players too long and not giving the younger proffesionals at the club a chance.

You say Louie Spence is here to cover the whole backline but I'd bet good money he does not play anywhere but right back.

I agree with you Riaz , why not give these young uns a chance now. When will we give these young lads a chance to show what they can do??. Danny Wilson was the last manager to show any faith in youth , when he brought through the likes of Matt Hill , Danny Coles etc. Chances are if we had had Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen as youngsters they would probably be playing for W-S-M by now !!

so I'm asking if these players will play as a squad themselves with games against other teams or if they'll just be training with the 1st team squad as some do now but just for an extra year.

you seem to know exactly how it will be structured so you can tell us all.

Depends how you read it but to me it says that a smaller first team squad will be supported by younger players who obviously would train as part of the first team squad. Otherwise Millen wouldn't have first hand knowledge on how they are progressing. Don't underestimate the importance to a young player of being around the first team, potentially making the subs bench as part of their development.

Obviously getting it all set up and place won't happen overnight but with potentially a lot of player movement over the summer things could be sorted by start of next season.

Depends how you read it but to me it says that a smaller first team squad will be supported by younger players who obviously would train as part of the first team squad. Otherwise Millen wouldn't have first hand knowledge on how they are progressing. Don't underestimate the importance to a young player of being around the first team, potentially making the subs bench as part of their development.

Obviously getting it all set up and place won't happen overnight but with potentially a lot of player movement over the summer things could be sorted by start of next season.

yes that bits clear. But he talks about setting up a development "squad".

to me a squad is a group of players big enough to play games in there own right aside from the time they spend in and around the 1st team. so I'm asking how that will be done.

The trouble with this site is that so many replies look at developments as a snap shot of the current situation. As I read it these are Millen's plans for the future -- not the next game. It is about offloading the unwanted and creating the resources to develop for the future which any supporter in their right mind should applaud.

It is pretty clear that Edwards is very close to playing, but Millen may be looking at Spence in the wider perspective and longet term future for the back four. We are going to have to replace Caulker sadly so getting a replacement on board seems to be priority for the team for next season.

I agree with you Riaz , why not give these young uns a chance now. When will we give these young lads a chance to show what they can do??. Danny Wilson was the last manager to show any faith in youth , when he brought through the likes of Matt Hill , Danny Coles etc. Chances are if we had had Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen as youngsters they would probably be playing for W-S-M by now !!

Tinnion gave Cotterill his chance and gave Lita an extended run in the team to establish himself too.

Tinnion gave Cotterill his chance and gave Lita an extended run in the team to establish himself too.

You're right he did , but I used to love watching the team under Wilson with lots of home grown lads in the side. Hill , Coles , Doherty , Brown , Burnell , Carey. I doubt we will see this amount of Bristolians in our side again , unless someone is brave enough to give the 'yoof' a go.

yes that bits clear. But he talks about setting up a development "squad".

to me a squad is a group of players big enough to play games in there own right aside from the time they spend in and around the 1st team. so I'm asking how that will be done.

Imo you're reading too much into the wording used. I would imagine he means exactly what Robbored stated - a smaller first team squad with youth around as back up and to speed their development. That said, talk is cheap and his actions in whom he plays for the remainder of the season will speak louder of his intentions. Does he follow the GJ method of trying to get as many points as possible, or does he throw our younger players in at the deep end now we're pretty much safe?

Imo you're reading too much into the wording used. I would imagine he means exactly what Robbored stated - a smaller first team squad with youth around as back up and to speed their development. That said, talk is cheap and his actions in whom he plays for the remainder of the season will speak louder of his intentions. Does he follow the GJ method of trying to get as many points as possible, or does he throw our younger players in at the deep end now we're pretty much safe?

we haven't got any youth to throw into the deepend at the moment,

Wilson isn't match fit

Edwards isn't match fit

Lennox is out on loan

the two irish lads maybe,

Riberio is massivly over rated and can't play 15 minutes with out a injury (I think he's a better centre back anyway)

Jackson isn't good enough

Dear Keef

Probably best to keep your plans to yourself, people will only be critical of what you say. Oh but they then will be critical of you for not telling us what your plans are.

In fact, if you get City promoted and win the champions league within 5 years, it will probably be cos Maynard is back from injury.

Face facts Keef you are a shit manager who talks to much and doesnt say the right things and you will never be as good as those expereinced managers, Brown, Jewell, Adams, Mowbray and SOD even though their teams are below City in the league.

Regards

The OTIB, manager selection and performance experts

Jordan Spence can play centre back, and many West ham fans feel he is better in that position. Agree though, if we're going to give youngsters a chance, why not now? Can't think of a better time, as we're safe annd not going to make the play-offs.

Dear Keef

Probably best to keep your plans to yourself, people will only be critical of what you say. Oh but they then will be critical of you for not telling us what your plans are.

In fact, if you get City promoted and win the champions league within 5 years, it will probably be cos Maynard is back from injury.

Face facts Keef you are a shit manager who talks to much and doesnt say the right things and you will never be as good as those expereinced managers, Brown, Jewell, Adams, Mowbray and SOD even though their teams are below City in the league.

Regards

Ouch! nice :) Who said that sarcasm was the lowest form of wit?

Dear Keef

Regards

Indeed. Same people find any reason to moan at Keith, results are going well, so have to nit pick at something else and will continue to do so regardless of whether we go forward or backwards, those people are as bad as Robbored was when Johnson was in charge,

I'm sure when we are 100% safe (which is almost the case) then youngsters will get some chances, to be honest I still think the aim for the rest of the season is a top half finish, to add some respectability to the season, once we have done that, the last few games will hopefully see some experiements

Jordan Spence can play centre back, and many West ham fans feel he is better in that position. Agree though, if we're going to give youngsters a chance, why not now? Can't think of a better time, as we're safe annd not going to make the play-offs.

I know he can play centre back, but I am sure millen is not extending his deal to play him there? is he?

Indeed. Same people find any reason to moan at Keith, results are going well, so have to nit pick at something else and will continue to do so regardless of whether we go forward or backwards, those people are as bad as Robbored was when Johnson was in charge,

I'm sure when we are 100% safe (which is almost the case) then youngsters will get some chances, to be honest I still think the aim for the rest of the season is a top half finish, to add some respectability to the season, once we have done that, the last few games will hopefully see some experiements

You call it moaning, because you are in love with Keith Millen.

When Millen says one thing and does another, do you expect no one to notice or even mention it?

I know he can play centre back, but I am sure millen is not extending his deal to play him there? is he?

No, but he would provide extra cover for that position should we suffer more injuries. I guess the loan might also have been extended, as he may be a transfer target for us in the Summer, should he do well over the next few games.

No, but he would provide extra cover for that position should we suffer more injuries. I guess the loan might also have been extended, as he may be a transfer target for us in the Summer, should he do well over the next few games.

Dont get me wrong - not suggesting that we should'nt loan him or sign him.

But just pointing out the contradiction millen is making.

Just sounds like everything we`ve done for god knows how long - just repackaged. Try and reduce the size of the 1st team squad but boost it by giving a handful of youth players 1st team contracts.

What it hasn`t addressed is the issue of why so few players seem to have benefited from our set-up.

Surely unless the root issues are resolved then dressing it up any way you like isn`t going to make the blind bit of difference. I appreciate we`re not going to keep churning them out but just one would be nice.

The Emporors new clothes me thinks.

PS Not a KM bashing post.

PDG

Archived