IGNORED

Millen Moving In The Right Direction

Robbored

I also had a similar gut feeling. Even when we were awful at home, it felt that this was part of the process in a strange kind of way. recovering from anything isn't a simple straight forward period of constant improvement. There tends to be periods where bad old habits creep in and things go backwards.

2 games were important this season. Cardiff away and Leeds at home. Despite losing both, they both gave the players and manager the believe that they were good enough to win games Afterwards we went on good runs.

Millen has always been open and honest in the interviews I've seen. He's got a good tactical brain and has done well in the transfer market. The biggest hurdle he's now got is developing a clear style of play. We don't impose ourselves on teams enough. A central midfielder and replacement for Caulker are the key. There must be a centre half in League one ready to step up who we could grab for a few hundred K.

Any names?

Leon Legge, 25

(Brentford)

I seriously hope that it is a change in the right direction, after many wasted years. Either we back our Academy, or we scrap it, over the past 5 years we have spent a lot of money keeping it going, but given the products a good, stiff ignoring. People bemoan whether the kids are any good, but could they actually be any worse than some of the dross we have signed? The other point is that we won't attract the best youth players if they have no hope of making the grade. Cardiff don't seem to have a problem bringing youngsters through, so why do we??

Over the years, how many Youth players have we given Pro Contracts too, only for them to be terminated and released two years down the line without kicking a ball for the first team? Loads...our youth set up and Academy has been a disgrace and total waste of money.

Fair play to KM if he is going to give them a go, but tbh, they are only good enough...if they are good enough. Perhaps the scouting system needs to be sorted...

What does concern me, is that KM has said, he wants to use lots of young players on loan from Premier League Clubs. What good does that do for the Club long term, unless you end up signing them full time?

I don't think its just manager pushing this its more the board who have invested a hell of alot of money into our youth and see very little return,

Alot of our rated youth player are simply not good enough we need to relise this there are a few who have slipped through the net like Harley,

We have 7 spaces on the bench if millen puts 3 younger player on that then we'll have a chance to devlop them more (whats the point in having say Ivan Sproule on the bench when we could of had Lennox who i rate there and given him 10 minutes here and there)

If it works then credit to him and it is a policy that should of been made as soon as it went from 5 to 7 on the bench

There is some good prospects the likes of Byran Rigg and Holloway, these players we should be looking at to be in and around the first team

heyMaybe not the topic, but look at Aston Villa. O Neil left in pre season and Houllier took over, they are soon in relegation zone. KM and City but we are safe. Thinks KM knows how to lead a squad.

heyMaybe not the topic, but look at Aston Villa. O Neil left in pre season and Houllier took over, they are soon in relegation zone. KM and City but we are safe. Thinks KM knows how to lead a squad.

... and Houllier has given a lot of young players a chance but it hasn't worked. So we come full circle.

We have this strange definition of what is youth

Elsewhere in the country 16- 20 is youth and they will play if them and give them the chance Charton with Shelvey, Southampton with Bale, Chamberlain, Cardiff with many players on going, Crystal Palace with Bostock and so on. Its not 20-25 which is a peculiarity only to us. They arent young then its usually to late to develop them

The difference as opposed to us is that they are all given a chance when they have the chance to develop as 1st team players or make a difference. For whatever reason we just seem to hold on hold on or loan out and release having not giving them a chance at this level because that will some how will work

Look at Henderson, should have broken through when the problems with Basso were becoming apparent so We sign Gerken Collis and James to cover this and Henderson is stuck as loan fodder at Yeovil. If Preston could blood Lonergan at 16/17 and various other great/good keepers have ALL started playing football as number 1 by say 19, then we have some real problems as to what development of youth is other teams do it and they dont have swankie academies so why are we so incapable

Until this issue changes we will never bring decent players through as they will never get the chance

Look at Messi started off at his home town club and had a growth deficiency. Barce paid for the treatment on the provision that he signed for them. and the rest is history. With us, he may skirted the first team and end up at Mangotsfield or Weston because wasnt pushing on Its a joke and has to change

Very true, and Cole Skuse seems to be a perpetual "promising youngster" who is about to make the breakthrough despite his age and number of games. If a player is not established by 20 he is unlikely to make it imo. And why are the likes of Ribeiro and Wilson constantly injured? Are they being overtrained so always on the edge of breaking down?

We have this strange definition of what is youth

Elsewhere in the country 16- 20 is youth and they will play if them and give them the chance Charton with Shelvey, Southampton with Bale, Chamberlain, Cardiff with many players on going, Crystal Palace with Bostock and so on. Its not 20-25 which is a peculiarity only to us. They arent young then its usually to late to develop them

The difference as opposed to us is that they are all given a chance when they have the chance to develop as 1st team players or make a difference. For whatever reason we just seem to hold on hold on or loan out and release having not giving them a chance at this level because that will some how will work

Look at Henderson, should have broken through when the problems with Basso were becoming apparent so We sign Gerken Collis and James to cover this and Henderson is stuck as loan fodder at Yeovil. If Preston could blood Lonergan at 16/17 and various other great/good keepers have ALL started playing football as number 1 by say 19, then we have some real problems as to what development of youth is other teams do it and they dont have swankie academies so why are we so incapable

Until this issue changes we will never bring decent players through as they will never get the chance

Look at Messi started off at his home town club and had a growth deficiency. Barce paid for the treatment on the provision that he signed for them. and the rest is history. With us, he may skirted the first team and end up at Mangotsfield or Weston because wasnt pushing on Its a joke and has to change

Absolutely spot on. The Henderson situation is an absolute disgrace, we talk about "ambition", but a small Championship club like ours has to build from the roots, and he should be viewed as a long-term asset who will either be our keeper for many years, or be sold to fund some quality signings. Hopefully, SL has finally realised that funding endless mediocre signings will probably empty his wallet long before we ever achieve any success.

I like the sentiment, but I'm glad we won' see the like of those Bristolians in our side again;

Hill - journeyman defender who loves passing the ball to the crowd - still.

Coles - Rovers after pissing up his career, say no more

Doherty - waster who threw a promising career away for an easy life in leagues one and two.

Brown - waster and gobby shite stirrer. Crap career scrapping around in leagues one and two.

Burnell - Bath City in the conference after a career in leagues one and two passing the ball sideways.

Carey - yep, give you that one.

I couldn't give a toss where the players are from as long as they are quality players. With the exception of Carey, that lot above wouldn't get anywhere near todays team.

Incredibly unfair. The majority of these came through after Pulis had wasted all the cash, and saved us the expense of recruiting from other clubs. All of these did a decent job for us when we needed it, and I'm sure we could all name rather a lot of outside recruits who gave far less in terms of value for money. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in playing for Bath City in the Conference towards the end of a career, as evidenced by Scott Murray. I'm rather glad that Burnell is there, as he adds a bit of quality to the current team.

Two points

1) Millen was still the coach and the manifestation of that coaching on the pitch was woeful.

2) You had made your mind up re- Johnson long before the season after the play off season and that was not a gut a feeling, that was something else.

I was unhappy about Millen's appointment and I still have reservations but I have never thought he would take us down and I have never called for his sacking, my main problem is what you said stagnation or same old same old and in the main that is what we have seen for 'most' of this season. Next season no amount of excuses will wash, he's got to prove that we can compete in this league and be there or thereabouts.

doesnt matter where we are most of the season, its where we finish that counts,

nice though that your willing to give him another season, i thought it was just a case this season of "we will only stay up because of the bottom three being dreadful"

still i suppose, if we are not top 2 and 10points clear by the end of august, then will be a fair time to call for his head in your mind,

Incredibly unfair. The majority of these came through after Pulis had wasted all the cash, and saved us the expense of recruiting from other clubs. All of these did a decent job for us when we needed it, and I'm sure we could all name rather a lot of outside recruits who gave far less in terms of value for money. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in playing for Bath City in the Conference towards the end of a career, as evidenced by Scott Murray. I'm rather glad that Burnell is there, as he adds a bit of quality to the current team.

Agree entirely, we were competitive in league 1 with the likes of those named; which was to great credit to them and the youth system.

Next season no amount of excuses will wash, he's got to prove that we can compete in this league and be there or thereabouts.

So a probable mid-table finish after such a dreadfull start and hasn't convinced you that Millen can 'compete' in this league? What else has he got to do to impress you ?

Win the league!!

As you know I've not been a millen fan and think for 3/4 this season we have been shite. I think this gets forgotten by some in their quest to prove those of us that doubted (I hold my hands up I would have sacked him in December). However, if we finish somewhere near mid table then I'm more than happy to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong, still what happens next time maynard is injured?

Win the league!!

As you know I've not been a millen fan and think for 3/4 this season we have been shite. I think this gets forgotten by some in their quest to prove those of us that doubted (I hold my hands up I would have sacked him in December). However, if we finish somewhere near mid table then I'm more than happy to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong, still what happens next time maynard is injured?

We play Pitman and Stead, Like we were doing when we had our first awesome spell this season before Stead's untimely injury.

We've only lost twice more than we've won, So we haven't been "shite for 3/4's of the season" at all, We've been massively affected by injuries this season too, More than I can ever remember in fact (If anyone can name a worse hit season in recent memory then I'll be suprised)

Millen hasn't proven anything yet, I'll agree with you on that one, But he has shown enough to deserve some support and some time. Next season the excuses do stop, there I completely agree with EMB... But that shouldn't detract from the fact that those excuses have been perfectly valid this season for large parts.

Hopefully we have an injury free season next year and start progressing, I can see it happening... I just hope everyone gives him and the team a chance to start afresh next year?

You're right he did , but I used to love watching the team under Wilson with lots of home grown lads in the side. Hill , Coles , Doherty , Brown , Burnell , Carey. I doubt we will see this amount of Bristolians in our side again , unless someone is brave enough to give the 'yoof' a go.

And if you are honest of that band back then, only Carey & Hill have been good players at a higher level consistently. Doc was his own worst enemy on the tabs and piss. Coles & Burnell have found their natural level. Hill is the only one to have matched his potential. Having home town players in the squad only works if they are good enough, and that lot you have to say were not, bar Carey & hill

And if you are honest of that band back then, only Carey & Hill have been good players at a higher level consistently. Doc was his own worst enemy on the tabs and piss. Coles & Burnell have found their natural level. Hill is the only one to have matched his potential. Having home town players in the squad only works if they are good enough, and that lot you have to say were not, bar Carey & hill

That's what happens though, a small number go on to greater things, some stay at the Club as good servants, a number will do a job for a while and slip down the Leagues, and some will just not make it. Bit like Johnsons signings, but one hell of a lot cheaper, and if you unearth that gem, it can make a massive difference to Club finances, and don't forget, the SL Piggy Bank won't last for ever.

doesnt matter where we are most of the season, its where we finish that counts,

nice though that your willing to give him another season, i thought it was just a case this season of "we will only stay up because of the bottom three being dreadful"

still i suppose, if we are not top 2 and 10points clear by the end of august, then will be a fair time to call for his head in your mind,

Sometimes you should try actually reading what has actually been written and then trying to understand it and then actually make an attempt at a valid and intelligent reply, instead of waffling on about what's in my head, I think you should more concerned about what's in your head, apart for your undying man love of Millen and not a lot else, you cannot debate about anything because to you if anyone criticizes Millen then they hate him and want him out.

Just try it for once, actually read a post that you reply to and try to debate it properly instead of stifling any debate with abuse or threats.

So a probable mid-table finish after such a dreadfull start and hasn't convinced you that Millen can 'compete' in this league? What else has he got to do to impress you ?

Well let me put it this way RR, the elimination total and utter shambles like the Norwich away debacle might help. it was shocking and he did little or nothing to combat what was unfolding in front of him (except check his lottery numbers with his number 2). Nyatanga must have thought we were playing 3 at the back because he played as a 3rd centre half for the entire game, that meant Woolford played his entire shift as a full back. Spence must have also thought we were playing 3 at the back because he was also out of position for most of the game.

The idea to push Adomah forward was a good tactic as was giving JCR a roving role, it gave Norwich something different to think about, however having got back into a game that we should have been losing by at least 3 goals, I think playing players in their more accustomed positions might have got us something out of game in which we deserved nothing and that would have impressed me, to the expect our top goal scorer to play as a left wing back was incredulous.

I suppose you will fall back on the hindsight card, that won't wash because he is supposed to a top coach, if I and others could see what was happening then surely it is not too much to ask that a top coach spots it as well and that is my main problem he is slow to change tactics that are clearly not working.

I suppose you will fall back on the hindsight card, that won't wash because he is supposed to a top coach, if I and others could see what was happening then surely it is not too much to ask that a top coach spots it as well and that is my main problem he is slow to change tactics that are clearly not working.

Hang on, you're using one away game against one of best teams in the Championship (in which City almost got a draw) to slate Millen. No-one will disagree that in the particular game he was slow to change things but that one game apart Millen has had the team on a decent run including good wins against Watford, Pompey and Burnley, but no mention of that in your post.

To highlight the worse performance in the last 7 says everything about your dismissive attitude towards Millen. Why don't you admit that you wish he wasn't manager?

He's done well the last 6 games no doubt, what about the 30 odd before that? Most of them as I said have been utter shite. However, if he can keep this team performing as we have seen lately then next season IMO we should be targeting a top 8 finish possibly a play off spot, would that be unreasonable?

Millen recently has shown some promise, but he has also shown he is clueless quite often. Therefore my judgement of him is that he is very average.

The same promise he showed last season after Johnson left?

You seem to be over looking/ignoring numerous factors that have hindered Millen virtually all season.

Not over looking anything. Results wise he has done a good job.

It's some of the things he does/says that just shock me. If we finish top half or even where he is now. He deserves to start next season just about.

Hang on, you're using one away game against one of best teams in the Championship (in which City almost got a draw) to slate Millen. No-one will disagree that in the particular game he was slow to change things but that one game apart Millen has had the team on a decent run including good wins against Watford, Pompey and Burnley, but no mention of that in your post.

To highlight the worse performance in the last 7 says everything about your dismissive attitude towards Millen. Why don't you admit that you wish he wasn't manager?

Ah well that's something I learned from you.

He was very slow to change things at home to Leicester but got very lucky (even though you spun that win into a Millen is a tactical genius thread), we were 2 down away to Hull before he brought on a second striker and waited till we were 2 down against Leeds before changing things (even though his system was'nt working again).

I don't have to admit anything you already know he was'nt my choice, he is too close to past failures, HOWEVER I WILL BE VERY HAPPY IF WE ARE THERE OR THEREABOUTS (TOP 6 WISE) NEXT SEASON, NOW I DON'T THINK THAT'S TOO MUCH TO ASK, DO YOU?.

i've typed in capital letters in the hope it might be easier for you to take in

The same promise he showed last season after Johnson left?

You seem to be over looking/ignoring numerous factors that have hindered Millen virtually all season.

There's a lot of pointless arguing about eachc others' views of Keith Millen. Fact is our opinions are as useful as a chocolate teapot. My worthless opinion is that Millen has used the resources he has quite effectively. Not brilliantly, but not as poorly as some of you make out. He will have learned about the players he has and what has worked for him and what hasn't. Managing or leading is not some easily acquired skill It is very personal and one's effectiveness is dependant on your awareness of your strengths and weaknesses and ability to recognise how they impact on individuals and on the team as a whole. What has impressed me is how he gives honest appraisals of our performances. There's no seeking to claim credit where it's not due or avoid responsibility for failures. This gives me hope that he won't have the blind spots that some managers have (Wilson and Johnson to name 2).

His big test is this summer. Next season the side will be a proper reflection of his management. He won't be in the position of stepping up to a role. He is it now and this is a much different dynamic to deal with. My biggest concern is that his lack of ego could work against him. A lot of managers are arrogant and therefore able to deflect criticism, especially during bad times. 2 bad games and the carping will start from the tactical experts on places like this.

It seems very likely that Maynard will go for some decent money. Albert's head may well be turned by the premier league too. Some of the money received will be made available to him. How he deals with this will be key.

That's a link to the allocation of Premier League prize money. My question concerned this assertion that keeps getting made that a similar prize-money arrangement exists in the Championship. I don't believe that such an arrangement exists, and I'm waiting to see evidence that it does.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but including his spell as caretaker at the end of last year Millen has now been in charge for 47 games (just over a full championship season). We have picked up 71pts over this period which would probably place us just outside of the play offs. Considering this is his first job as a football league manager, the injuries he's had to contend with this year and he &nbsp;had to pick up the pieces from two managerial departures, I think he's done a very good job.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><br></div>

Archived