IGNORED

Roayal Wedding Match Thread

myol'man

Wow, some venom here, eh? Look, I'm no fan of the Royal Family and generally agree that there are better uses for money and resources. I think England would be better off without them and the rest of the UK certainly would be. But in the end the British people choose to keep the monarchy and more power to them. My ancestors in Virginia decided they didn't want to put up with the crown 230 years ago and revolted; more power to them as well. I'm a firm believer in actually doing something about your political beliefs rather than just moaning that the world is unfair.

Indeed. Harry really would be failing in his duties as Best Man if he didn't cop off with her during the reception.

Well I think Prince Philip was the first to have a pop on the balcony... obvious from Pippa's face that he'd made a move. Either that or he'd dropped one.

Wow, some venom here, eh? Look, I'm no fan of the Royal Family and generally agree that there are better uses for money and resources. I think England would be better off without them and the rest of the UK certainly would be. But in the end the British people choose to keep the monarchy and more power to them. My ancestors in Virginia decided they didn't want to put up with the crown 230 years ago and revolted; more power to them as well. I'm a firm believer in actually doing something about your political beliefs rather than just moaning that the world is unfair.

An even stranger turn of events for my ancestors because one of them was from Pforzheim in what is modern Southern Germany and he was one of the 10,000 troops sent by French King Louis to help the American colonists fight the British. He was present at the British surrender at York Town and his daughter married my ancestor that was an architect from Somerset. That means that my ancestor was a German fighting for the French Royal family against King George of England who was also a German Royal. :yawn: The USA is a Republic and not a French or German or English led Monarchy - does this say something to you as an American? :w00t:

An even stranger turn of events for my ancestors because one of them was from Pforzheim in what is modern Southern Germany and he was one of the 10,000 troops sent by French King Louis to help the American colonists fight the British. He was present at the British surrender at York Town and his daughter married my ancestor that was an architect from Somerset. That means that my ancestor was a German fighting for the French Royal family against King George of England who was also a German Royal. :yawn: The USA is a Republic and not a French or German or English led Monarchy - does this say something to you as an American? :w00t:

:laugh:, so many stories like that in The States. America truly is a nation of mongrels, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Most of my ancestors were English but some French, German, Cherokee and even Portuguese blood worked its way into the bloodline. My wife is from a family that is half German and half Irish, and my American born mother grew up in Bavaria and considers herself German. We really are a confused lot over here. laughcont.gif

OK enough of the royalist debate, this was meant to be a fun thread;

The evening disco is just about to start, any ideas of the play list?

I'm guessing they'll kick off with Elton John singing 'Your son always goes down on me' pacifier.gif

:laugh:, so many stories like that in The States. America truly is a nation of mongrels, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Most of my ancestors were English but some French, German, Cherokee and even Portuguese blood worked its way into the bloodline. My wife is from a family that is half German and half Irish, and my American born mother grew up in Bavaria and considers herself German. We really are a confused lot over here. laughcont.gif

My family settled in Pennsylvania. Lots of places by the name of 'Somerset', 'Bristol' and there's even a 'Bedminster' there suggesting heavy immigration from the English West Country to there. A massive population there of German descent as well and you can tell that by just looking at a map as there's so many German place names.

My argument was more that there are better things to spend tax payed money on than the royal family.

You may well have a point Sparky, £38M a year to the Royals (62p each). That's a lot of money.

However, compare three other examples.......

£5.9 Billion on the European Union, some of it spent on 'Belgian dance lessons in Burkina Faso'

£22.8 Million on Bristol becoming Britains first 'cycling city' working out at £3,000 for every new cyclist.

£200 Billion on bailing out the banks..................

I would suspect todays events had a better feel good factor than any of the above, but, hey ho, each to his own.

As an aside, what a cracking tune that Jerusalum is :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf: .

You may well have a point Sparky, £38M a year to the Royals (62p each). That's a lot of money.

£5.9 Billion on the European Union, some of it spent on 'Belgian dance lessons in Burkina Faso'

£22.8 Million on Bristol becoming Britains first 'cycling city' working out at £3,000 for every new cyclist.

I would suspect todays events had a better feel good factor than any of the above, but, hey ho, each to his own.

As an aside, what a cracking tune that Jerusalum is :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf: .

Yeps, Its a myth also that they cost us money, they bring in revenue and above all CLASS and PRESTIGE, which cannot be bought at any price.

Money is not everything, look at the gulf states, more money than they know what to do with and they're people hate them, cant think why, maybe its the oppression, corruption and complete disregard of their peoples basic human rights?

Our royal family are very much intune with its people, they are respected and loved. A beacon to the world, we are a great nation!

I agree there is much injustice in the world, but its days like today which give you hope in humanity.

In fairness though, look at it this way.

£5.9 billion on the EU, but imagine seeing where the country would be without the EU though, definitely worth it.

£20m on becoming cycling city, yeah I agree, waste of money.

£200billion on bailing out the banks, once again, the situation would be a lot worse had that not happened.

In fairness though, look at it this way.

£5.9 billion on the EU, but imagine seeing where the country would be without the EU though, definitely worth it.

£20m on becoming cycling city, yeah I agree, waste of money.

£200billion on bailing out the banks, once again, the situation would be a lot worse had that not happened.

By what form of calculation do you arrive at net outflows of 6 bn being good value? I actually think that figure is higher and will certainly go up next year. Free Trade, which is what we voted on to join in the early 70's referendum, is not what the EU is about today; Norway, Switzerland and others have free access to EU markets and do very nicely outside the junket club. Our trade balance with the EU is in chronic deficit whereas it wasnt before we joined. And before we joined we had open and loyal markets for our manufactured products in the Commonwealth which we largely abandoned within a few years. In short, being inside what was a common market and is now one fat money consuming and corrupt beast has been laid bare as an enormously expensive error of judgement.

to be fair, the royals make a hell of a lot of money for the UK in tourism, the yanks flock over here to see them. Although the wedding cost alot today, i'll bet it made alot more in revenues (aside from everyone having the day off)

The most visited countries in the World (by tourists) are France and the United States, both republics.

Tourists do NOT come here because we have a royal family. They might looking at the royal palaces and some of the pomp and pageantry, but we could still have all that without having to pay lots of money for a family whose main job is waving at people. In fact, if there was no royal family occupying the palaces you might be able to see a lot more of them and, in fact, more tourists might be attracted.

Incidently, only 10% of tourists visiting England are Americans.

The European Union is a corrupt and fraud ridden organisation. As far as I'm concerned, any politician that now supports our continuing European Union membership is a de facto traitor. Where's the referendum on the EU Lisbon Treaty we were promised ????!!!!! Until the ruling Con-Dem faction of the Lib-Lab-Con have got a popular electoral mandate from the British people - via a free and fair referendum on our EU membership - then our EU membership is highly illegal in this country.

Yeps, Its a myth also that they cost us money, they bring in revenue and above all CLASS and PRESTIGE, which cannot be bought at any price.

Money is not everything, look at the gulf states, more money than they know what to do with and they're people hate them, cant think why, maybe its the oppression, corruption and complete disregard of their peoples basic human rights?

Our royal family are very much intune with its people, they are respected and loved. A beacon to the world, we are a great nation!

I agree there is much injustice in the world, but its days like today which give you hope in humanity.

Yeah right, I'd forgotten just how classy are Fergie, Randy Andy, Edward, Philip and Charles.

By what form of calculation do you arrive at net outflows of 6 bn being good value? I actually think that figure is higher and will certainly go up next year. Free Trade, which is what we voted on to join in the early 70's referendum, is not what the EU is about today; Norway, Switzerland and others have free access to EU markets and do very nicely outside the junket club. Our trade balance with the EU is in chronic deficit whereas it wasnt before we joined. And before we joined we had open and loyal markets for our manufactured products in the Commonwealth which we largely abandoned within a few years. In short, being inside what was a common market and is now one fat money consuming and corrupt beast has been laid bare as an enormously expensive error of judgement.

:winner_third_h4h: Get in there havanatopia. I'm going to memorize your post word for word. That'll shake up the Lib-Lab-Con European Unionists when I recite it to them on my doorstep when they come a knocking for my vote. :rofl2br:

The most visited countries in the World (by tourists) are France and the United States, both republics.

Tourists do NOT come here because we have a royal family. They might looking at the royal palaces and some of the pomp and pageantry, but we could still have all that without having to pay lots of money for a family whose main job is waving at people. In fact, if there was no royal family occupying the palaces you might be able to see a lot more of them and, in fact, more tourists might be attracted.

Incidently, only 10% of tourists visiting England are Americans.

I visited the former Royal Palace at Versailles - just outside Paris. The palace is marvellous but it had been looted by the Parisien mob during the French revolution so the place is - largely - empty unlike our Royal palaces. A lovely building but - apparently - it had no sewerage system so the French Royal Family and Courtiers used to toilet behind the big wooden wall panels in the corridors - blimey it must have stunk. My German ancestor fought in King Louis' Deux Ponts (Zwei Brucken) regiment and I reckon it was partly because King Louis' best soldiers were in America fighting the British that France fell to revolution. My ancestor settled in the USA and the Royal soldiers that did return to France were rounded up and guillotined but some did manage to escape back to America.

Archived