IGNORED

Rovers Stadium Discussion

Fiale

So with all the stories going around that BRFC have a buyer for the Memorial ground, and UWE are going to lease BRFC land on a freehold basis for the building of their new stadium (to include student accommodation, amenities) do you think we are likely to see Rovers get a new stadium before us ? Is it all pie in the sky ? A serious prospect with UWE looking for revenue from land holding, as well as student amenities.

All pie in the sky I reckon.

This wouldn't be the first time the gas board have strung their fans along with similar stories. Funnily enough they usually coincide with the team doing especially badly on the field and the general plan seems to be con the blue few into thinking the club are moving forward, when in fact they seem to be slipping further backwards. I guess the sags will conveniently forget how long they've already had planning permission in place at the minimal and the board can't get their act together, so why would they have any more chance of succeeding with this latest of many imaginary plans?

If they believe this tripe, then they deserve Dunfraud as chairman imo.

I have a strong feeling there may be some legs in this, and they may end up getting a new stadium. fair play if they do, however its not a race, and I certainly wouldnt be jealous. Their new stadium will more then likely still be smaller then Ashton Gate and probally be in a similar mould to something like the Keepmoat stadium.

Good for them and their ambitions.....not for us

Who is the buyer for the mem?

Because whilst I hate the place due to it's association with the sags, it's still a memorial for the men of Bristol who has perished at war.

It'll be a disgrace of that tumour like club sell off a memorial to our forefathers for their own gain after stealing it from a club who would have used it for it's real purpose for as long as they survived.

Think the protests against this will have more legs than a ******* village green.

Who is the buyer for the mem?

Because whilst I hate the place due to it's association with the sags, it's still a memorial for the men of Bristol who has perished at war.

It'll be a disgrace of that tumour like club sell off a memorial to our forefathers for their own gain after stealing it from a club who would have used it for it's real purpose for as long as they survived.

Think the protests against this will have more legs than a ******* village green.

The memorial gates will still stand , one would imagine .

If there is any milage in the Rovers ground then the City would have to follow suit or visa versa .

The whole thing could be good times for the South West

There is a covenant on the stadium as it was a gift to those that lost their lives in the first war and the covenant stated no building is to take place unless for sporting reasons or that benefits the local area, i.e a stand, club house etc..... The convenant has been lost!!!!! Unless this is found just the gates will remain as a memorial and the ground could be built on, but there will be more oposition to this that Ashton Vale due to the history and the reasoning of the ground. The locals will be in uproar and 1,000's could object.

My opinion, it won't happen!

MM

There is a covenant on the stadium as it was a gift to those that lost their lives in the first war and the covenant stated no building is to take place unless for sporting reasons or that benefits the local area, i.e a stand, club house etc..... The convenant has been lost!!!!! Unless this is found just the gates will remain as a memorial and the ground could be built on, but there will be more oposition to this that Ashton Vale due to the history and the reasoning of the ground. The locals will be in uproar and 1,000's could object.

My opinion, it won't happen!

MM

Lost, as in like they "lost" the old south stand at Eastvile to a mystery fire, (but presumably didn't lose the insurance documents)?

I have a strong feeling there may be some legs in this, and they may end up getting a new stadium. fair play if they do, however its not a race, and I certainly wouldnt be jealous. Their new stadium will more then likely still be smaller then Ashton Gate and probally be in a similar mould to something like the Keepmoat stadium.

Good for them and their ambitions.....not for us

I personally think it's a good thing (if it happens). Surely as City fans, if we ever got to place th Gash at their place we want the largest amount of tickets we can get?

Admittedly if they stayed at the Mem and redeveloped, they'd forever be stuck with a 19,000 seater stadium, whereas if they build at UWE, they'd have the chance to boost the capacity if they ever did need it.

My only concern about this whole situation is that I'm a South Glos resident, and I don't like the idea of subsidising the build through my taxes!

Lost, as in like they "lost" the old south stand at Eastvile to a mystery fire, (but presumably didn't lose the insurance documents)?

:clapping: Nice one, absolutely. I assume the council would have held the covenant so for it to be lost means they would be in serious trouble.

MM

From my time living in Bristol, I know you guys hate each other with a passion and when I suggested sharing to people they always pointed out that there was no available ground that was neutral to both sets of fans but I still believe that both teams and the city of Bristol would benefit greatly from having one stadium - time for me to go into hiding I think :ph34r:

From my time living in Bristol, I know you guys hate each other with a passion and when I suggested sharing to people they always pointed out that there was no available ground that was neutral to both sets of fans but I still believe that both teams and the city of Bristol would benefit greatly from having one stadium - time for me to go into hiding I think :ph34r:

Fight me.

The entire rumour is that Rovers new stadium is it is going on the land by HP, UWE bought up a ton of land to build a new campus and part of that could include a new 20,000 seater stadium which includes student accommodation, this will be funded by Rovers, UWE and South Glos council. There board of directors are in talks with Sainsbury's to purchase the Memorial Ground plus another potential investor.

http://www.uwenewcam...ct-information/

Can I be the first to coin the nicknames "South Gloucestershire Rovers" or "the Students" handbags.gif

Access to the Memorial Ground is worse than Ashton Gate and the problems to get Sainsburys approved at Ashton Gate was hard work due to transport links and access. Ashton Road is much wider than Filton Avenue therefore I very much doubt BCC would be happy using access from Filton Ave. As for the otherside, Downend Road etc... no chance.

Filton Avenue is certainly not easily accessable in to the area and Gloucester Road is bad enough at anytime of the day. Nah, won't happen unless it's a Sainsburys local.

I suppose we shall see.

MM

Access to the Memorial Ground is worse than Ashton Gate and the problems to get Sainsburys approved at Ashton Gate was hard work due to transport links and access. Ashton Road is much wider than Filton Avenue therefore I very much doubt BCC would be happy using access from Filton Ave. As for the otherside, Downend Road etc... no chance.

Filton Avenue is certainly not easily accessable in to the area and Gloucester Road is bad enough at anytime of the day. Nah, won't happen unless it's a Sainsburys local.

I suppose we shall see.

MM

You are right here and BCC are not keen on losing the Mem to a Sainsburys, so I've heard.

All true about the 20k stadium at UWE though, they've actually been in talks about this for well over a year. They explored the Rolls Royce site as well.

End of the day though, as we know, there is a hell of a lot of obstacles to overcome. If they can't get planning permission for the Sainsburys then the entire scheme is fcuked and as it is there must be big questions over whether UWE (student numbers falling) and the gash (falling down the leagues) have enough cash to get this off the ground.

If they do get it built though then hello 'South Gas-tershire Rovers'

Popped up my parents last night who live just off Muller Road and access to the site is via two lanes. As I was walking down Filton Avenue I bumped in to an old school mate who lives in Filton Ave and he said even coaches struggle to get in let alone lorries delivering goods so I think Sainsburys on the site is laughable.

I mentioned it to him and he said they would have to knock houses down for it to happen, looking at the site, I tend to agree.

MM

Archived