IGNORED

Rovers Stadium Discussion

Fiale

I can tell you now, the locals of Horfield are up in arms about this. I will be very surprised if they get permission to do this. Another thing that strikes me is they expect £60m to be generated from the sell of the Mem from Sainsburys for mixed community use. Including a new supermarket and housing.

I think we all know the housing bit will generate little. The only thing I wonder is if the council will help as Ashton Down school is massively over subscribed and they turned a lot away so will there be a new school. If so, this would be a massive boost.

Also, I have mentioned before the covenant, if found then this is a stamp already in place similar to a town green.

MM

Some of the posts on the gash Forum are getting out of control now! we may aswell give up according to them as their new link with UWE will see them rise above us within 2-3 years! :clapping: I now know why I never usually read their forum, you couldnt make some of the comments up.

Some of the posts on the gash Forum are getting out of control now! we may aswell give up according to them as their new link with UWE will see them rise above us within 2-3 years! :clapping: I now know why I never usually read their forum, you couldnt make some of the comments up.

Id leave the OF rovers forum alone its full of kids anyone with anything sensible to say gets banned get on the rovers alternative forum for more level headed talk

I can't see how it matters so long as we get ours, and a number of their fans have been very supportive of Ashton Vale. Obviously some of them haven't but it generally seems to be a case of football fans vs. NIMBYs rather than City v Rovers.

This is generally my view.

Have spoken to a couple of people recently who understand council procedure, neither of which are confident the village green hurdles will be overcome. Worrying as I think people, or perhaps I'm speaking solely for my view, appear to have become complacently assured that it (Ashton Vale) will go through.

The worry I guess is that a new Rovers stadium could see them become, in the long run, more lucrative. However as this seems a joint partnership with UWE and as such revenue streams will be limited, I tend to think there is little threat to Bristol City with tangible positive gains a possibility.

For what it's worth, I hope this comes off.

Higgs on radio now.Says stadium oweners will be Bristol Rovers football club, then later in interview says it will be Bristol Rovers 1883 Ltd which are currant owners of the Memorial stadium (not sure if that is the same thing?)

He says the rudby has a long lease which they hope will just simply be transfered to the UWE one.

No public funding whatsoever

Says they will be totally debt free by the time the stadium is built. Says sale of mem to sainsburys and has a business plan in place wich will ensure being debt free.

No naming rights/sponsor it will be the UWE Stadium.

He says talks with the purchasers of the mem it was stressed the memorial gates are to remain in place to honour the dead. They were listed last year and not a main entrance into the stadium.

Says getting this ground build before us not an issue, wishes us well and both clubs need a new ground.

tbh, I think this will be of benefit to all of Bristol but.....

I may be wrong.... but the Gash board have been very quiet with their support and backing of our new stadium at AV up until now.... if any! Strange how they can now 'smugly' wish us well with our project.... tossers.

I live close to the mem, I really don't mind the gash moving home, in fact I welcome it. BUT, the local residents will NOT allow another supermarket. Sainsbury's tried to move into Ashley Down but that was rejected.

We have 2 Tesco's and a CO-OP very close by. Also, MadMax, there is already a new school behind the county ground that Ashley Down School already look after, I know this as my kids go to Ashley Down.

Also, MadMax, there is already a new school behind the county ground that Ashley Down School already look after, I know this as my kids go to Ashley Down.

I thought that was a comprehensive not a Primary! I may be wrong and mostly am :innocent06:

MM

So looking at the proposal a few things strike me.

* It seems unlikely they will benefit fully from the non match day revenue and will be splitting that with UWE.

* It's a non extendable design.

* It's not actually in Bristol as defined by the county border (ours will be).

* It'll be much harder to get planning for a new Sainsbury's there than it was for us to get planning for moving one 200 yards.

* They haven't dealt with the covenant yet.

* They've abandoned the redevelopment plans for the mem which means they'll let planning permission on that expire, so this is all or nothing.

I find it highly unlikely their board will be able to deliver, and of course they'll not need 15,000 of those seats any time soon :)

* Frenchay Rovers will take the majority of non-matchday revenue, some rooms inside the stadium will however be for use only by UWE free of charge. But a student bar is to be provided along with conference/banquet facilities and apparently Frenchay Rovers take all that profit.

* It is most definitely NOT in Bristol. It is in the county of Gloucestershire, the district of South Gas-tershire.

*Frenchay Rovers are confident of the Sainsbury's app I think, I have heard BCC not so keen. They are losing a football club and the financial benefits that brings to the city and getting...another supermarket.

* The redevelopment consent is still valid and they can keep applying for extensions of time limit.

I don't care if they move to the UWE campus - good luck to them

What stinks is the proposed sale of the Memorial Ground.

As we all know the land was given to the people of Bristol for sports and recreation so that (specifically) rugby players would have somewhere

protected to play sport. It was in honour of local rugby playing soldiers killed in the First World War.

The memorial was later updated to honour those killed in WW2 as well.

Now Higgs has shifted the goalposts and the PR spin is focusing on the Memorial "Gates" and saying that it is the Gates that are the memorial and they will preserve these presumably in the Sainsburys car park between the trolley park and the recycle bins. Classy.

No - The GROUND is the memorial , not the Gates. The clue being in the original name "The Memorial GROUND" - the gates were simply a convenient focal point bearing the text and reminder of the gift to Bristol people.

First the Rovers stole the ground from Bristol Rugby by invoking a clause that was designed to protect and preserve sport at the Mem - in the event of a creditor taking possession of either parties half share of the ground (thus rendering the other half unworkable). This situation never happened, no creditor filed for possession but as soon as Bristol Rugby went into administration the Gas saw their opportunity and pounced before Bristol could get their refinancing in place. The loss of their half of the ground meaning that they never were able to implement anything anyway - thanks to Rovers.

How many times have football clubs been in admin. and come out again? Bristol Rugby were screwed by Rovers and the talk from Gas fans that they saved the rugby is just BS.

Having stolen the ground from Bristol Rugby they now intend to steal the land gifted to the sportsmen of Bristol.

If they want to leave then they should sell back the ground to either Bristol Rugby or Bristol Council at the price they paid at the time - adjusted up to cover inflation - and move on and stand on their own feet. (They paid approx £2.5M for their 50% share - and stole Bristol Rugby's 50% for £10, 000 if i remember correctly, certainly less than £50K )

CR

As we all know the land was given to the people of Bristol for sports and recreation so that (specifically) rugby players would have somewhere

protected to play sport. It was in honour of local rugby playing soldiers killed in the First World War.

Now Higgs has shifted the goalposts and the PR spin is focusing on the Memorial "Gates" and saying that it is the Gates that are the memorial and they will preserve these presumably in the Sainsburys car park between the trolley park and the recycle bins. Classy.

No - The GROUND is the memorial , not the Gates. The clue being in the original name "The Memorial GROUND" - the gates were simply a convenient focal point bearing the text and reminder of the gift to Bristol people.

First the Rovers stole the ground from Bristol Rugby by invoking a clause that was designed to protect and preserve sport at the Mem - in the event of a creditor taking possession of either parties half share of the ground (thus rendering the other half unworkable). This situation never happened, no creditor filed for possession but as soon as Bristol Rugby went into administration the Gas saw their opportunity and pounced before Bristol could get their refinancing in place. The loss of their half of the ground meaning that they never were able to implement anything anyway - thanks to Rovers.

How many times have football clubs been in admin. and come out again? Bristol Rugby were screwed by Rovers and the talk from Gas fans that they saved the rugby is just BS.

Having stolen the ground from Bristol Rugby they now intend to steal the land gifted to the sportsmen of Bristol.

If they want to leave then they should sell back the ground to either Bristol Rugby or Bristol Council at the price they paid at the time - adjusted up to cover inflation - and move on and stand on their own feet. (They paid approx £2.5M for their 50% share - and stole Bristol Rugby's 50% for £10, 000 if i remember correctly, certainly less than £50K )

CR

Agree wholeheartedly.

It's not even like they are staying in Bristol, so the city loses any benefits at all of having them in the city and gains another supermarket...

I couldn't care less about Rovers and their stadium, and would be fully behind the proposed development of the Mem, but this is a joke.

This holds much more moral objections than a ruddy Village green, and the objectors who will surely come forward against this will have a stronger motivation than simply stopping development.

• SC&T Board Members

Planning aside, what a dull little bowl (more like a dish) it would be. Makes Donnys look world class!

What strikes me about this is the comparison between how Rovers how presented their fans with fait accompli and the extensive consultation that City went through with us. Chalk and cheese!

Also feel sorry for the rugby fans losing their standing areas ... oh, I could have a solution for them...Rail seats

A quick trip to B&Q on a Sunday afternoon should do it.

As a member of the staff at B&Q, I will see it that the regional managers of the company will not allow Nick Higgs or any other of the Bristol Rovers board are allowed to purchase anything involved with their proposed new stadium :winner_third_h4h::innocent06:

I live just off of Filton Avenue,the chances of sainsburys getting planning permission for that site are laughable.There again were talking about BCC here, with all the obstacles put in our way it would be typical for theirs to fly through.

CR

Having been at work all day so having come to this late, I agree 100%.

Bad enough that they stole 50% of the ground from the rugby club but to sell the whole thing which was built to honour Bristol's war dead just about sums them up.

Horrible club, horrible people.

Having been at work all day so having come to this late, I agree 100%.

Bad enough that they stole 50% of the ground from the rugby club but to sell the whole thing which was built to honour Bristol's war dead just about sums them up.

Horrible club, horrible people.

PML at this thread :banana: what a load of bitter boys, gonna change your name to Sour Grapes Utd ? :yes:

Think bigger two good stadiums will benefit Bristol.

Im disgusted that they have been allowed to get this far.

The ground was a gift to the city so sport could be played in memory of the fallen for christ sake.

Im not anti them getting a new stadium but this is a joke right?

When confronting sags about this earlier they were oblivious to the fact its a memorial ground. Always thinking about themselves for a change.

Look at their forum. They think its alredy in the bag, buy a brick, stand name and local boozers already being discussed. Seems their chairman has pulled the usual stunt of promising something with no real concrete. How 30 years of being fed bull hasnt had an affect on them god knows.

Bloody theives. They cant sell the ground to a supermarket surely? Why has the council allowed them to get this far without any public opinion? Perhaps theres no real bristol born and bred in the council where this matters?

On a side note, no wonder higgs has been smiling for the last 6 months knowing relegation was iminant when he holds an asset purchased for 50k now worth 60mil.

Read it again Mr Blunt, I said it would BENEFIT Bristol not they are IN Bristol.

IMHO we should both be proud of our clubs and their ambitions.

The only way all this is beneficial to Bristol is that the city is once AGAIN ridding itself of the blue and white vermin that shall now forever be known as Frenchay Rovers. Goodbye Irene

Archived