IGNORED

Rovers Stadium Discussion

Fiale

It will be the case by tommorrow that rovers will be going ahead with their new stadium . City need to get their skates on and push on . Will be good for bristol as a whole . Regardless of the "us and them nonsence " this needs pushing on , and nows the time chaps

tell you what, **** them and get on with ours!

Also this. Laughable that anyone thinks they have discovered some magic council and resident evading formula that will lead to a new stadium some time tomorrow afternoon (slight exaggeration)

Can't believe there is so much positivity on here towards Rovers getting a new stadium.

They don't need one and we don't want them getting one up on us.

We need to do all we can to stop this nonsense.

Of course they need one, for the same reason we do. It's not the capacity that's necessary, it's the off-the-field benefits.

I am more than happy for them to get a stadium, I just want us to get ours first, and for it to be better ... happy for 2 teams in Bristol, just want us to be the best and higher in the league (or if pork soars and we are both in the Prem one day, us champs and them just avoiding relegation :bruce_h4h: ....

I cannot see that planning will be a problem. The UWE site has great transport links, there is already a large building on the proposed site that would I assume be demolished, planning will be a formality.

That statement seems to be conflicting as at one point they stress Sainsburys is an enabling development and then in another bit it mentions the finance is in place before planning. It one or the other surely

good luck to them - maybe south glos. council can show bristol city council how to actually progress with a project which is good for the local economy

seems a bit odd to be doing this while they are plummeting towards the conference, but still - 1 top new stadium in bristol, 1 in south glos, cant be bad for the region

will the team be re-named "south gloucestershire rovers"? or the "frenchay pirates"?

It says that as a result of the sale of the land, funding will be in place prior to the planning process.

So they'll sell up before getting permission for the stadium ?

No, they'll sign a sales contract which depends on planning. Like we have.

So looking at the proposal a few things strike me.

* It seems unlikely they will benefit fully from the non match day revenue and will be splitting that with UWE.

* It's a non extendable design.

* It's not actually in Bristol as defined by the county border (ours will be).

* It'll be much harder to get planning for a new Sainsbury's there than it was for us to get planning for moving one 200 yards.

* They haven't dealt with the covenant yet.

* They've abandoned the redevelopment plans for the mem which means they'll let planning permission on that expire, so this is all or nothing.

I find it highly unlikely their board will be able to deliver, and of course they'll not need 15,000 of those seats any time soon :)

"The finance is in place for this to go forward".

The stadium will cost £40 million, the Mem sale will raise £20 million, Rovers are "buying the land from UWE", they will go to the new stadium " debt free"

If Rovers are to own the stadium outright where is the other £20 million coming from ?

"The finance is in place for this to go forward".

The stadium will cost £40 million, the Mem sale will raise £20 million, Rovers are "buying the land from UWE", they will go to the new stadium " debt free"

If Rovers are to own the stadium outright where is the other £20 million coming from ?

Wasn't there mention of an 'Energy Company' getting involved with the finance too?

i thought that they couldn't sell the mem because it is a memorial

also whats going to happen to the rugby club?

Their chairman says the rugby club has been 'informed' every step of the way and he hopes they will be joining them in their new stadium. Radio Brizzle saying they are hoping to speak to rugby people soon?

There doesn't seem too much partnership between the Gas and the rugby, sounds like they are saying you move with us if you want (and we can charge you a rent), if not they are homeless.

as the Memorial Ground was built dedicated to the memory of the rugby union players of the city killed during World War I - does this give it any special classification e.g similar to listed?

surely they can't just trash a war memorial?

I only heard the tail end of the discussion but it was all about the memorial gates, I'm sure they said they will be incorporated into the design (of the supermarket?) and they now have been listed therefore cannot be removed. This doesn't seem right to me if only the gates not the land can be protected? But I guess it was one of the first things the Gas board would have looked into before offering it up for sale.

The Rugby chief exc has just been on the radio to say they weren't consulted over the design, but they were as tennants when the plans to redevelop the mem were discussed. He is hoping that what they said then maybe was taken on board for UWE design. He says the mem was an old stadium which the rugby was also outgrowing and a 20,000 seater would suit them as it is what is required for premiership rugby, but he was fairly non comittial about a move.

Archived