IGNORED

Rovers Stadium Discussion

Fiale

Interesting to read the proposed ground will hold 20,000 when Rovers fans think it's amusing City only attract an average of less than 15,000 for Championship football. Where are all these extra fans coming from? Rovers ned to quadruple their attendance to fill the new place.

Conspiracy theory!!! Rovers & their fan(s) do all they can to stop Aston Vale. They then get their stadium built and offer to rent it out to City who by then will (hopefully :fingerscrossed: ) be a top flight team and need somewhere bigger than AG.

But it's not bigger than Ashton Gate

It needs to be taken into context.

If Bristol Rugby announced these plans there would be significantly less concern toward the memorial consideration. Don't get me wrong nothing infuriates me more, sickens me infact, than those who fail to pay tribute to those lost to war, specifically the two 'World' wars to which participation wasn't a choice. But, for me, that consideration is magnified ten fold on this forum because it is directly associated with Bristol Rovers.

I'm certainly not a huge fan, as some have said, of having the gates plonked somewhere inappropriate, and as a necessity of any deal it should be ensured that they are appropriately housed - perhaps adding a new tribute on behalf of departing Rugby club, surrounding the immediate area with a small garden and seating etc. This is for good reason a sensitive issue and needs to be treated as such.

I can't help but consider the reaction of our fans if the roles were reversed. Personally, in that situation, I struggle to believe that many would turn their back on an opportunity to settle after a nomadic past, in a modern stadium, with the sticks that are being used to beat thrm here as reasonning.

With that said I do often feel relatively alienated in my views toward those north of the river. Rather than wish them extinction or oblivion, I regret that we are not more competitive as neighbours. Of course it goes without saying that my club, City, is the one to which I wish success and good times. But if given a straight choice between City in the Premier League, Rovers in the Conference, or both clubs in the same league, ideally Premier League and obviously with City the more lucrative and appealing, complete no brainer for me.

I hope this comes off for them, they get their stadium, we get ours and Bristol football and sport moves forward. It goes without saying that the conditions must be right in order to appease on such a sensitive subject.

I can't believe how stupid some of our fans can be!

After all the problems with have had with our stadium, we should be backing rovers stadium!

Many of their fans have supported us and having 2 good new stadiums will do the world of good for Bristol.

Yes Rovers stadium is in South Glos, but on the address it is still called Bristol.

Bristol will benefit from people coming into our city on trains etc, for football, rugby and business there.

Also more people will want to come to UWE.

I know people say about the memorial stadium being for the fallen soldiers in ww1 and 2 but the gates will still remain and sport in Bristol will improve.

How many of you actually go to the mem to pay tributes to the soldiers? None.

You don't need a stadium to pay tribute, if you want to symbolise it then you have the gates.

People can debate the memorial ground element all they like but I dont buy this Bristol/South Glos arguement

I understand the p1ss take potential considering the amount or rubbish spouted about North Somerset and now them actually moving onto South Glos territory but come on, its still Bristol. Technically, yes, governed by south glos but make no mistake this is Bristol.

Patchway, Filton, Bradley Stoke, Stoke Gifford, Downend, Emersons, Mangotsfield, Staple Hill, Kingswood, Warmley, Longwell Green, Hanham etc etc

Ask anyone in Bristol,outside of Bristol, ask anyone living in these areas where these areas are...they will tell you Bristol. Unlike other cities, Bristols bounadries have not grown with the city

The actual "city" of London is only a mile square......trying telling people from the county boroughs that they are not from London.

The point was made ealier about Man Utd not being in Manchester but Manchester itselfs no doubt benefits immensley from the Club!

The site of the sags ground is literally within a copuple of hundred yards of the city boundaries, its in fact literally Lockleaze, the site is adjacent to Romney Avenue. No doubt the fellowship and bulldog will benefit from this move

It needs to be taken into context.

If Bristol Rugby announced these plans there would be significantly less concern toward the memorial consideration. Don't get me wrong nothing infuriates me more, sickens me infact, than those who fail to pay tribute to those lost to war, specifically the two 'World' wars to which participation wasn't a choice. But, for me, that consideration is magnified ten fold on this forum because it is directly associated with Bristol Rovers.

I'm certainly not a huge fan, as some have said, of having the gates plonked somewhere inappropriate, and as a necessity of any deal it should be ensured that they are appropriately housed - perhaps adding a new tribute on behalf of departing Rugby club, surrounding the immediate area with a small garden and seating etc. This is for good reason a sensitive issue and needs to be treated as such.

I can't help but consider the reaction of our fans if the roles were reversed. Personally, in that situation, I struggle to believe that many would turn their back on an opportunity to settle after a nomadic past, in a modern stadium, with the sticks that are being used to beat thrm here as reasonning.

With that said I do often feel relatively alienated in my views toward those north of the river. Rather than wish them extinction or oblivion, I regret that we are not more competitive as neighbours. Of course it goes without saying that my club, City, is the one to which I wish success and good times. But if given a straight choice between City in the Premier League, Rovers in the Conference, or both clubs in the same league, ideally Premier League and obviously with City the more lucrative and appealing, complete no brainer for me.

I hope this comes off for them, they get their stadium, we get ours and Bristol football and sport moves forward. It goes without saying that the conditions must be right in order to appease on such a sensitive subject.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

One of the best posts i have ever read on a football forum rovers/city or whoever.... take rivalry away and you have to take the plan for our ground and yours to the basics and decide whats best... both clubs should be given the go ahead... those against a supermarket on current sites should be listened to and changes made to help but it has to be better for the area to have these new sports arenas bringing jobs ect ...... and village greens and Memorials have there place as well and can be included in or near the sreas involved.. ( in Rovers case the Gates remain where they are ...

have a bit of banter and a giggle but be realistic as well ... i have nothing against you lot getting your stadium never have... yeah ive taken the piss out of my red mates about the village green but it doesnt mean deep down i know its a load of balls

lets get on with both stadiums

we should have the last games at ashton and the mem against each other ... could save on the demolition costs laughcont.gif

Interesting to read the proposed ground will hold 20,000 when Rovers fans think it's amusing City only attract an average of less than 15,000 for Championship football. Where are all these extra fans coming from? Rovers ned to quadruple their attendance to fill the new place.

Cheap tickets to students, who will bump up the amount they spend by drinking in the large supporters/student union bar, buy food in the convenience store. Some will become hooked, others go for the odd games, buy a shirt, hat, scarf - Tieing themselves and sitting on the UWE campus is a huge boon to BRFC potential fan base and income.

Most SAGs i know honestly don't care about the village green.

We all know about 13 people are protesting for a village green, rovers have a 7,000 fan base.

About 5% don't want us to have the ground, 30% do because they know the benefits for bristol, and 65% don't care at all

Cheap tickets to students, who will bump up the amount they spend by drinking in the large supporters/student union bar, buy food in the convenience store. Some will become hooked, others go for the odd games, buy a shirt, hat, scarf - Tieing themselves and sitting on the UWE campus is a huge boon to BRFC potential fan base and income.

Maybe we should attempt to forge greater links with Bristol University.....it would make sense

Bristol City - Bristol Uni - Bristol

"Bristol " Rovers - UWE - South Glos (Bristolish) :innocent06:

99% of everything connected to BRFC has been against Ashton Vale, they refused to back our World Cup bid & A LOT of sags signed the petition against our new stadium.

I say **** 'em.

BCAGFC

I'm afraid I have to agree!

One minute they're keeping their heads down and refusing to support the Bid..... when all the other teams in our area recognise the advantage to the South West that our stadium would bring....

....then, 'out of the blue' there's a stadium in the offing for the blue few, supposedly having been worked on for two years.....?

....yeah ok

More like "OI Geoff, put thee milk crate down and take a gander at this ear drawering that oi've dun on ther 'puter, wass rekon? That'll chear up ar fans for a while...."

Most people living away keep to their own teams.

Why would anyone want to be dragged along to a (at best) basement game, nah can't see it!

99% of everything connected to BRFC has been against Ashton Vale, they refused to back our World Cup bid & A LOT of sags signed the petition against our new stadium.

I say **** 'em.

BCAGFC

Totally agree with this. Now they want support so the glove is now on the other hand. Swings and roundabouts, now how do they feel?

MM

Maybe we should attempt to forge greater links with Bristol University.....it would make sense

Bristol City - Bristol Uni - Bristol

"Bristol " Rovers - UWE - South Glos (Bristolish) :innocent06:

Maybe City - with the Bower Ashton UWE campus can have the best of both Universities ie. The high brow Bristol Uni students plus the Bower Ashton students?

Most people living away keep to their own teams.

Why would anyone want to be dragged along to a (at best) basement game, nah can't see it!

Because its on campus, could be almost free, 5 yards from their Student's union bar. A large portion of students coming to Bristol stay here.

Just wanted to reply to a few of the points made on your thread about the proposed stadium

1. Bristolians everywhere will benefit from the stadium, I live in north Somerset and I will benefit, my dad lives in Bristol, he will benefit, my son lives in South Gloc and he will benefit. ( we are all Bristolians)...... the WHOLE region will benefit just like it will if your stadium actually happens!
  2. Not all Gasheads are apposed to Ashton Vale in fact I signed a petition in favor of the stadium
  3. the Memorial Gates will remain as they are and the memorial services will continue (please watch he interview) http://www.itv.com/westcountry-east/higgs-on-new-stadium89958/ and the Rugby club say they will be glad to come with us to the new stadium (if it happens of course)
  4. The crowds will be there if the stadium gets built, there are more examples where gates have improved and a club prospered when a club builds a new stadium (e.g. Swansea, Cardiff etc ) than not (e.g Darlington)

Just wanted to reply to a few of the points made on your thread about the proposed stadium

1. Bristolians everywhere will benefit from the stadium, I live in north Somerset and I will benefit, my dad lives in Bristol, he will benefit, my son lives in South Gloc and he will benefit. ( we are all Bristolians)...... the WHOLE region will benefit just like it will if your stadium actually happens!
  2. Not all Gasheads are apposed to Ashton Vale in fact I signed a petition in favor of the stadium
  3. the Memorial Gates will remain as they are and the memorial services will continue (please watch he interview) http://www.itv.com/w...w-stadium89958/ and the Rugby club say they will be glad to come with us to the new stadium (if it happens of course)
  4. The crowds will be there if the stadium gets built, there are more examples where gates have improved and a club prospered when a club builds a new stadium (e.g. Swansea, Cardiff etc ) than not (e.g Darlington)

Good post. I agree with all of that.

I am FOR the gash to get a new stadium.

Same with City, if we both can get the stadiums we can increasejobs, the profile of the area and raise the local community.

Its a matter of time until we can start building our stadium, not if aswel.

Good luck to both of us. I care about Rovers as much as I hate them (not at all really!), however new stadiums for clubs are almost always a good idea, especially for the size and catchment of Bristol itself.

I'm all for the Gash getting a new stadium, providing we're always one step ahead of them.

At the moment, if there was a Bristol derby, it doesn't exactly set the World alight, does it?

Now imagine if both clubs had bigger infrastructure (like back in the 50's -the potential for massive derby games was there) we'd actually have a derby game to be proud of.

I guessing potentially we could have games on a par with the Sheffield derbies, but whilst we're still stuck with our current limited stadiums, we'll never be able to have huge games.

Ok, the gash are looking to start out at 20,000 capacity and us at 30,000, but with some success on the pitch, I can easily see one (if not both) expanding their capacity's, which can only be good, surely?

I'm all for the Gash getting a new stadium, providing we're always one step ahead of them.

At the moment, if there was a Bristol derby, it doesn't exactly set the World alight, does it?

Now imagine if both clubs had bigger infrastructure (like back in the 50's -the potential for massive derby games was there) we'd actually have a derby game to be proud of.

I guessing potentially we could have games on a par with the Sheffield derbies, but whilst we're still stuck with our current limited stadiums, we'll never be able to have huge games.

Ok, the gash are looking to start out at 20,000 capacity and us at 30,000, but with some success on the pitch, I can easily see one (if not both) expanding their capacity's, which can only be good, surely?

I agree completely, just imagine the atmosphere 30,000 Sheeds & Gash will generate in a cup match at Ashton Vale and then the 20,000 at the UWE stadium in the replay!

To be fair to him, the precedent has been set over the years by your board, How many false promises when the chips are down to bring the gullible back to the mem? Surprised you lot get hoodwinked every time...

Believe me there are are plenty of skeptics among the Gas and you are right we have had many false dawns.................. but this plan though does appear to be more thoroughly prepared and researched and does seem to already have a lot of support from the relevant parties e.g. South Glos, UWE, Bristol Rugby, The Horfield residents the winning tender retailers (inc Sainsburys) etc. if all parties are positive about it then the planners will surely find it difficult to justify turning down the plans?

Tongue in cheek or do you really believe that?

No i honestly believe thats the case,look at all the transfer sale's you have had over the years,and what did Dunford do with the money put it in his back pocket that must make you sick..........sorry just another bullshit story your falling for hook line and skinker.............

No i honestly believe thats the case,look at all the transfer sale's you have had over the years,and what did Dunford do with the money put it in his back pocket that must make you sick..........sorry just another bullshit story your falling for hook line and skinker.............

I would like to agree to disagree but this has been posted by Nick this afternoon on the OS "am sure you will agree it has been an exciting week both on and off the pitch, with Paul Buckle doing his first round of interviews and three new players being added to the squad.We want to take this positive momentum forward and keep it going as we approach the new season.

The rebuilding process has only just begun, and we are looking to bring a host of other new faces into the squad over the coming weeks. I hope this proves to you all that the club is moving in the right direction.

To those of you who were holding off buying your season tickets until you received some more positive news, I would hope that you now feel ready to come on board and support us next season.

Once again, thank you for your patience, I hope you are as excited about the future of Bristol Rovers Football Club as I am." :laugh:!

O the bristol urban zone, thank god for that. At least they can go "were nearly in bristol, so that counts"

Hang on. Can you genuinely not see how something right next to Bristol will benefit Bristol as a whole?

If not then I'm surprised you have the sense to type for Christ's sake. Give up and admit you're wrong.

I would like to agree to disagree but this has been posted by Nick this afternoon on the OS "am sure you will agree it has been an exciting week both on and off the pitch, with Paul Buckle doing his first round of interviews and three new players being added to the squad.We want to take this positive momentum forward and keep it going as we approach the new season.

The rebuilding process has only just begun, and we are looking to bring a host of other new faces into the squad over the coming weeks. I hope this proves to you all that the club is moving in the right direction.

To those of you who were holding off buying your season tickets until you received some more positive news, I would hope that you now feel ready to come on board and support us next season.

Once again, thank you for your patience, I hope you are as excited about the future of Bristol Rovers Football Club as I am." :laugh:!

:winner_third_h4h: Told ya!

Archived