IGNORED

England Squad For The Euros?

Taylor10

I love the way people seem to get annoyed at a squad because of a few differences to the squad they would pick. I mean what are the chances of Hodgson, or any manager, picking the exact 23 names you would like?

For what it's worth my squad would have had 5 differences to Hodgson's, but that doesn't mean I suddenly Roy is a clueless muppet and we're going to get knocked out at the group stages. I would have taken Richards over Johnson as I feel they are similar players (dangerous going forwards, not so clever defending) but Richards' pace will get him out of trouble more often that Johnson and I would say that Richards is actually better at getting forwards than Johnson. Having said that it does speak volumes that Capello never rated him, you can sense that Mancini doesn't really trust him and now Hodgson has also left him out. They could of course all be mistaken, but I would hope that at least one of them knows what they're doing! Carrick instead of Barry is a no brainer for me as although Barry has had an impressive season I still have images of Ozil gliding past him at the last World Cup while Barry appeared to running in quick sand. Carrick is also the best passer we have in my opinion and would form an excellent partnership with Scott Parker if we played a 4231 formation. Having said that, similarly to Richards, Hodgson is certainly not the first England manager to appear to not rate Carrick! I would also have taken Lennon instead of Oxlade-Chamberlain, but I don't feel particularly strongly on this and accept that Oxlade-Chamberlain's versatility could be invaluable if we progress into the back end of the tournament.

I would also have gone for Sturridge over Downing as I feel another player who could play up top could be key as well as Sturridge offering us an option on the flanks. However I do not feel that the decision to take Downing is quite as moronic as many other people do. As an earlier poster said he is probably our best left sided, left footed player (as sad as that may be) and I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out. He has had a terrible season and I expect confidence will be a major issue with him at the moment, but he actually had a few promosing cameos for England over the last couple of years and he is actually second to Young in providing the most assists in England games since the world cup.

My last one would be anyone instead of Robert Green. Having watched him in the two games against City I can safely say he wouldn't be anywhere near my squad and would probably rather have Gerken!

In my opinion the strangest decision of all is having Henderson on standby and hopefully he won't be required to come into the squad!

The inclusion of Downing really is baffling and it's he's probably in the squad because he's played before, plays for a big club and is left-footed. Hardly inspiring. I'm disappointed that there is not more youth involved and the lack of Richards is frustrating. He is in my opinion better at both defending and attacking than Johnson and he is younger. I also think Sturridge should've gone. If this wasn't the tournament to try and embed some youth in the team then when is?! Ze Germans did it a few years ago and we should've followed suit.

I'm pleased Ox is in there and that is an exciting selection. It may be a little too soon for him but it can't do him any harm linking up with the squad and experiencing a tournament, as long as too much pressure is not forced upon his shoulders of course! Henderson above Carrick as back-up is hilarious if probably irrelevant. There was always going to be questions asked whoever Roy picked and he is a decent manager but my underlying feeling is one of disappointment that we have not gone with more youth.

The inclusion of Downing really is baffling and it's he's probably in the squad because he's played before, plays for a big club and is left-footed. Hardly inspiring. I'm disappointed that there is not more youth involved and the lack of Richards is frustrating. He is in my opinion better at both defending and attacking than Johnson and he is younger. I also think Sturridge should've gone. If this wasn't the tournament to try and embed some youth in the team then when is?! Ze Germans did it a few years ago and we should've followed suit.

I'm pleased Ox is in there and that is an exciting selection. It may be a little too soon for him but it can't do him any harm linking up with the squad and experiencing a tournament, as long as too much pressure is not forced upon his shoulders of course! Henderson above Carrick as back-up is hilarious if probably irrelevant. There was always going to be questions asked whoever Roy picked and he is a decent manager but my underlying feeling is one of disappointment that we have not gone with more youth.

But Germany made the drastic changes that were needed to their youth set up 8 years ago after a poor qualification for the 02 World Cup, a shocking performance at Euro 2004 and starring down the barrel of a World Cup on their own turf. We only made these steps a couple of years ago, well apparently! From then on they have actively tried to pick younger teams and have planned to do so at the start of each qualifying campaign. Their hand was also forced by having the golden generation that thrashed us in the under 21's in 2009. That is entirely different to just a month before the major tournament picking a load of kids.

And bearing in mind Walker, Rodwell and Wilshire are all unavailable which youngsters are we going to pick? I would have picked Sturridge as a fifth striking option, but as Hodgson has only gone for 4 I can't see a way he could get into the squad. Possibly Gibbs as back up to Ashley Cole, but Baines fully deserves his spot in the squad...

And bearing in mind Walker, Rodwell and Wilshire are all unavailable which youngsters are we going to pick? I would have picked Sturridge as a fifth striking option, but as Hodgson has only gone for 4 I can't see a way he could get into the squad. Possibly Gibbs as back up to Ashley Cole, but Baines fully deserves his spot in the squad...

We have been unlucky with injuries it has to be said.. Something that the press or fans havnt really picked up on to be honest. Walker and Wilshere are actually massive loses in my opinion. An on fire Wilshere coupled with Oxlade-Chamberlain would in terms of techinical ability be up there with the best yound midfielders going to the competition IMO.

As for Baines he is what late 20's? Im sorry its just pointless taking players that wont be around for the next WC.. It would have been Gibbs for me all day long. I know people will argue yes he is in form blah blah but people need to think of the bigger picture, have we not learnt at all after ALL these years? The Germans as you have rightly said have once again as the Germans do with everything not just Football sat down with a calm head and logically planned things.. They are now seeing the rewards with an array of young talent. We need to do the same and forgett the Baines Parkers Downings etc etc once and for all.

As i said injuries have forced Hodgeson into picking what he has picked as im sure if Walker and Wilshere were fit and in form they would be first choice.

Hmmm, only about 75% happy with Hodgson's outfield picks ... in my book five to go out are:

G.Johnson,

Terry,

Downing,

Parker,

Defoe

To be replaced by:

M.Richards,

Jagielka,

A.Johnson,

Carrick,

Sturridge

Defoe on standby along with Osman, Cleverley & Smalling.

No real opinions on the reserve goalies as Joe Hart is the only keeper who wants to play for England that you ever see in action. Oh, and he would be my skipper.

No matter what squad Roy picked people would moan.

I think the main reason Downing has been chosen is due to him being our best left sided left footed winger, Adam Johnson is left footed but his best position is on the right.

Matthew Etherington has 3 goals and 7 assists in the Premier League this season, and as far as I'm aware has contributed a record at least equalling Downing's every season he's played Premier League football.

Amazed how many people are writing off Defoe. 11 starts, 11 goals, a strike rate slightly worse than Aguero for minutes played.

We have been unlucky with injuries it has to be said.. Something that the press or fans havnt really picked up on to be honest. Walker and Wilshere are actually massive loses in my opinion. An on fire Wilshere coupled with Oxlade-Chamberlain would in terms of techinical ability be up there with the best yound midfielders going to the competition IMO.

As for Baines he is what late 20's? Im sorry its just pointless taking players that wont be around for the next WC.. It would have been Gibbs for me all day long. I know people will argue yes he is in form blah blah but people need to think of the bigger picture, have we not learnt at all after ALL these years? The Germans as you have rightly said have once again as the Germans do with everything not just Football sat down with a calm head and logically planned things.. They are now seeing the rewards with an array of young talent. We need to do the same and forgett the Baines Parkers Downings etc etc once and for all.

As i said injuries have forced Hodgeson into picking what he has picked as im sure if Walker and Wilshere were fit and in form they would be first choice.

Baines will only be 29 when the next World Cup takes place so I wouldn't agree that he won't be around for it. And I can't say I buy into this theory of not taking players to this Euros that may not be in Brazil in 2014. If we had built a squad solely with this in mind, went and performed poorly and then a team like Greece won again we would always kick ourselves at throwing away an opportunity to win a major tournament.

I would say that whatever happens this summer, successful or unsuccessful we obviously need to look at younger players when we start playing again in August. As we all know some key players are on the way out and we need to find players to replace them for the World Cup in two years and the 2016 Euros. And Gibbs, as you say, is somebody who should be in the squad more regularly as he promises to be Ashley Cole's long term replacement at left back. At the moment though we are less than a month away from a major tournament and for me that is a crazy time to blindly say 'I think we should have picked more youth'. For a start, who are all these young players that deserve to be selected?

Firstly I would have preferred to see Redknapp as manager myself but now we have Hodgson...what was he thinking here?

Why Glenn 'useless' Johnson over the excellent Micah Richards? John Terry has been awful all season and never better than Ferdinand. We all know Stewart Downing has had a terrible season so for him to even be considered is a joke - A. Johnson should be going or even Strurridge as he can play upfront too. For strikers you could debate all day whether Crouch so go instead of Carroll and I would probably have taken Crouch - but whatever way you look at it, we don't have great options in that position.

Only real positive is that he has given the Ox a chance.

Still with no expectations we might do OK.

They have both had terrible season for me and at least Ferdinand is kind of reliable when he plays. Maybe neither of them should have gone.

Terry's had a generally good season. Cahill will partner him, almost certainly. In the big games they've performed admirably as a pairing; their performance against Messi at SB last month was nothing short of class.

I love this thread, armchair managers out in force

Hodgson is the manager, not the press nor the british public, plenty of other managers leave out 'star players' from international squads and they dont get half the stick that the England Boss does because, everyone and his dog has to have his or her say.

He has picked a team, we may as well support it. Yes, disagree with selection, but many of the posts are seemingly more tee'd off that the job wasnt given to someone else, as if the other manager somehow has more experience or is a better manager, which he definitely isnt.

If the media/fans want to pick the players, we may as well go back to selection by committee.

I didnt have any great expectations before the squad was announced about our chances of getting anywhere and that hasnt changed. People dont actually believe we have a divine right to win the thing when we are nothing but serial chokers?

The squad itself is a mix of youth and experience, and clearly Roy has a plan. If it works, then it works. If it doesnt then it doesnt.

I cant see what everyone is up in arms about

Aren't all football fans "armchair managers" though ? I assume you will no longer pass judgement on Del's decisions when the new season starts ?

As for your second point I've highlighted I couldn't agree more. I said months ago that I didn't expect us to get out of our group and have not seen anything to change my mind.

Not including Richards, Sturridge, Adam Johnson, Carrick and Arron Lennon is a huge blunder.

I think the FA picks the team.

Strurridge is out of form, 1 in 8 is not good enough.

Carrick said he doesn't want to be in the team unless he starts. Sod him then.

Lennon is like Walcott but scores less and sets up less goals.

Richards over Johnson, and Johnson over Downing I agree though.

Strurridge is out of form, 1 in 8 is not good enough.

Carrick said he doesn't want to be in the team unless he starts. Sod him then.

Lennon is like Walcott but scores less and sets up less goals.

Downing is in because he plays on the left, Johnson prefers to play on the right and cut inside.

baines should be the first choice LB, forget cole. baines provides alot more presence going forward than cole and just as much at the back, people uunderate him for the simple reason that he is not in the so called top 4 or 5 teams which is rediculous, but there were reports of man u and Munich potentially attempting to buy him from everton.

baines should be the first choice LB, forget cole. baines provides alot more presence going forward than cole and just as much at the back, people uunderate him for the simple reason that he is not in the so called top 4 or 5 teams which is rediculous, but there were reports of man u and Munich potentially attempting to buy him from everton.

Baines is for sure not as good as Cole defensively.

Baines is for sure not as good as Cole defensively.

Hey McLaren,with this dutch speaking you are really spoiling us. :)

I agree, Cole is our one true international class player. Hate to admit that seeing I don't like the bloke.

Strurridge is out of form, 1 in 8 is not good enough. He has hardly played because kalou is better defensively (barca etc) scored more than carroll and defoe this season.

Carrick said he doesn't want to be in the team unless he starts. Sod him then. I only saw that after I wrote this. That MF is shocking. No pace what so ever.

Lennon is like Walcott but scores less and sets up less goals. I would of taken both.

Downing is in because he plays on the left, Johnson prefers to play on the right and cut inside.

Sturridge and Johnson can play on either side and have scored and assisted well and are both superior to that flop.

Plus there both younger and 99% of the country wants the younger lot in and the older lot plus downing out!!

But Germany made the drastic changes that were needed to their youth set up 8 years ago after a poor qualification for the 02 World Cup, a shocking performance at Euro 2004 and starring down the barrel of a World Cup on their own turf. We only made these steps a couple of years ago, well apparently! From then on they have actively tried to pick younger teams and have planned to do so at the start of each qualifying campaign. Their hand was also forced by having the golden generation that thrashed us in the under 21's in 2009. That is entirely different to just a month before the major tournament picking a load of kids.

Sturridge and Richards are the obvious ones. I think pretty much everyone is unanimous on Richards and Sturridge has played well out wide for a team in the CL final, his versatility could have proved useful. I wasn't even considering Gibbs as I agree Baines has had an excellent season but you can see the argument for his inclusion, regular playing for a top 3 team at his age.

Archived