IGNORED

England Squad For The Euros?

Taylor10

Hardly played? Sturridge has 28 PL starts and 11 goals, Defoe has 11 starts 11 goals. Defoe's strike rate is only marginally worse than Sergio Aguero's. Check your facts.

Sturridge has also been playing out wide for Chelsea. Im sure if he was down the middle he would of scored more goals.

Sturridge and Richards are the obvious ones. I think pretty much everyone is unanimous on Richards and Sturridge has played well out wide for a team in the CL final, his versatility could have proved useful. I wasn't even considering Gibbs as I agree Baines has had an excellent season but you can see the argument for his inclusion, regular playing for a top 3 team at his age.

I must admit I wasn't considering Richards as 'youth' as he made his England debut so long ago. Although after looking, he is going to be 24 during the tournament which isn't young in Football terms. Not saying I wouldn't have taken him, as I would, but it would have been purely for footballing reasons rather than anything do with his age.

Gibbs only played 16 games in the premier league for Arsenal, obviously injury played a part, but I wouldn't say that is large enough number for him to force Baines out the squad. If we somehow get to the final and Ashley Cole gets injured the night before I would certainly rather have Baines coming into the team.

Considering we have Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck and Carroll in the squad and Butland, Henderson and Sturridge on the standby list I think it is unfair to accuse Hodgson of ignoring youth. Specially considering Walker, Wilshire, Rodwell and Smalling are all unavailable.

Sturridge has also been playing out wide for Chelsea. Im sure if he was down the middle he would of scored more goals.

Regardless of whether that's true it doesn't stop Woodle's point being wrong. For what it's worth, Defoe is a far better striker than Sturridge.

Archived